10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    I just don't see how you can argue for 900 dollar weekly unemployment without also arguing in favor of a 23-25 $/h minimum wage. In no universe does that not get you laughed out of congress. Its just not pragmatic.
    Fun fact, if minimum wage had kept pace with productivity it would be roughly in the realm of 22-23 dollars an hour.

It's less a function of pragmatism and more a function of people being good little indoctrinated capitalists with no memory for any event preceding the last electoral cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I just don't see how you can argue for 900 dollar weekly unemployment without also arguing in favor of a 23-25 $/h minimum wage. In no universe does that not get you laughed out of congress. Its just not pragmatic.
    good why not both

10+ Year Old Account
    In US, healthcare is tied to your employment. When getting laid off, you might need to go to school, to be able to find a comparable job.

As a side not, I don’t think people who argue for 900 weekly unemployment, would disagree with a 25$ minimum wage.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Just gonna drop this here:

https://www.rand.org/blog/2020/10/a-...-like-gdp.html

That is to say... the bottom 90% lost 47 trillion to the top who stagnated wages and fatted themselves. And not much has changed...

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a reason why you are out the gate trying to cap a minimum wage? This is the problem with moderates.... "Let's start from behind and see what we get!"
    The point with minimum wage isn't to get as much as possible. It's to get a reasonable amount that doesn't leave people in poverty and best serves society at large.

10+ Year Old Account
    The point with minimum wage isn't to get as much as possible. It's to get a reasonable amount that doesn't leave people in poverty and best serves society at large.
    It's to get a living wage, actually.

$7.25 is not a living wage for a single adult in any state in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Who are you even arguing with? Pretty sure not leaving people in poverty is implicitly a living wage. (I'm not talking about the "poverty line", that is obviously way too low)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    In US, healthcare is tied to your employment. When getting laid off, you might need to go to school, to be able to find a comparable job.

As a side not, I don’t think people who argue for 900 weekly unemployment, would disagree with a 25$ minimum wage.
    I would argue health care just shouldn't be tied to employment. Privatized health care is a joke, especially with the parasites that are the insurance industry. But let's say tomorrow Joe Biden proposes a 25$ minimum wage. How do you think that turns out for him?
    Last edited by cordrann; 2021-01-18 at 08:08 PM.

Because the 900 a week will have to replace wages, health insurance, lost contributions to SS/Medicare and any other benefits you no longer get because you are unemployed.

The loss of health insurance alone could be a 1600+ dollar a month cost for a family of 3.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    A bad case of the Mondays for our nations Rednecks.

Tomorrow on a Fox and Friends, ritual burning of Ropin' the Wind CDs!
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    A bad case of the Mondays for our nations Rednecks.

it was entertaining reading facebook comments on the local news station pages when they posted this. Its about what you would expect.

I saw a few mentions of " hazard pay " in this thread but I'm not aware of anything in the bill that deals with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would argue health care just shouldn't be tied to employment. Privatized health care is a joke, especially with the parasites that are the insurance industry.
    It doesn’t matter that it shouldn’t be, when it simply is.

But let's say tomorrow Joe Biden proposes a 25$ minimum wage. How do you think that turns out for him?
    For him? I think it would win him reelection...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    Wait... are you sure it’s not Chris Gaines?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Calling that the 15 min wage thing will backfire. Mainly because its got a glaring fucking loophole via gig-work and the march of Prop 22 in California to a nationwide thing. So all that will happen is every McDonalds worker will get uberized and become a slave. Though I think this going to happen even if the Min Wage stays as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Calling that the 15 min wage thing will backfire. Mainly because its got a glaring fucking loophole via gig-work and the march of Prop 22 in California to a nationwide thing. So all that will happen is every McDonalds worker will get uberized and become a slave. Though I think this going to happen even if the Min Wage stays as it is.
    The bill includes removing tipping as a compensation for salary and disabled under pay... so... no...

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    That rule (thanks, Trump administration!) is set to go into effect in March, and is something that the incoming Biden team has mentioned as something they may freeze as soon as they get into office.

And I'd be genuinely curious to see how the gig-economy could be used to literally run a whole economy as you're basically proposing with McDonald's worker. I mean, do you think that fast food companies that have spent decades trying to operate as cheaply as possible haven't already looked into such a proposal?

Man, you were one of the last people I expected to say that a progressive issue was moving forward too quickly and that there were risks associated with that.

Given that the Trumps are snubbing the Bidens, why not have the Obamas and Bushes and Clintons perform the traditional White House welcome? They will be in town. It would be bipartisan. And it would uphold the important symbolic ritual of a president welcoming his successor.
    https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/sta...665046018?s=19

Love this! First having Obama there would be a kick in the teeth to Trump and sort of l; Trump never happened. Most won't like Bushes there but a little normalization. Clintons, another kick in the teeth to Trump.

This shows Trump is not the norm and having an ex-President show peaceful transition is the symbolism needed.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, you were one of the last people I expected to say that a progressive issue was moving forward too quickly and that there were risks associated with that.
    Then, you are not paying attention...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerationism

Basically, there is nothing Biden can do, that would satiate accelerationist. They just spent 4 years ignoring everything Trump and GOP has been doing, masterminding how they will rebuild the nation, after Trump causes a collapse of capitalism in 8 years. To get stuck with the steady hand of Joe Biden in 4...

Remember, the reason democrats are to blame for everything, is because they are the ones plugging the holes of our corrupt system, so it stays up float. The 15, the environmental changes, decriminalizing drugs and public option will all be bandaids... until free market can truly be free, so it collapses and causes fundamental social change.

... or it’s just a Trump supporter... lulz...

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    As I've said, I'm going to judge Democrats based on what they actually do. I will admit, I am far more optimistic in general with Biden at the wheel than I ever would have been with Trump, but that's based more on the history of the Democratic party in the legislature as well as the past, rather than some simple "Red vs Blue" team loyalty. And I imagine it's the same for most people. Nobody picks Democrats because they like the color blue, they pick them for a multitude of reasons. Some like all of their policies, some like most of their policies, some simply settle for Democrats over Republicans as best of a bad situation. So I think the lines about blind devotion to team blue are condescending in a way that poisons a conversation before it's even begun.

If it were Trump and McConnell at the wheel, 2021-2024 would be more of the same - Virus situation getting even worse, more government money thrown at giant corporations, more money spent on Trump's racist ICE fuckwads rounding up people who look even remotely mexican, and a whole lot of "fuck you" to the general populace.

I am going to hold my breath until all of these executive decisions come to pass, but from what I've seen so far, 2021 is looking up. $1.4k may not be $2k, but considering all of the other shit planned out, that $600 seems like splitting hairs simply for the sake of spiting Democrats.
    Hopefully at least 1.4k isn't the end of it. I'll grant, begrudgingly, I'd be stoked for 1.4k. If Biden can avoid the influx of NeoCons whom have been welcomed into the DNC, avoid a patriot act and get some checks in, I will grade him as "WAY BETTER THAN EXPECTED" Because admittedly my expectations are rock bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

The whole point of minimum wage was for one adult (at the time it was implemented one man) could support a family of 3 with healthy food and basic luxories. Not barely scraping into survivability.

That rule (thanks, Trump administration!) is set to go into effect in March, and is something that the incoming Biden team has mentioned as something they may freeze as soon as they get into office.

And I'd be genuinely curious to see how the gig-economy could be used to literally run a whole economy as you're basically proposing with McDonald's worker. I mean, do you think that fast food companies that have spent decades trying to operate as cheaply as possible haven't already looked into such a proposal?

Lowkey I am convinced that its not really about the policies but just hatred of Biden for some reason

Like even if you think the Gig thing will make it so that a 15 dollar minimum wage will be less benefitial (I doubt it ) its still pretty much a good thing if you supposedly care about workers

They were the first person I expected. Because it'll pass, it'll be popular, it'll help the working class, and DEMS R BAD!