Just finding out about secret pardons, he's gonna self pardon, and not tell anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Also worth a mention is that the first celebration of Columbus Day in the United States was in 1891 after the brutal lynching of 11 Italian-Americans in an effort to mend diplomatic problems with Italy and build some solidarity with Italian-Americans. I don't know what the average American thought of Columbus in 1840 (if anything), but by the early 1900s, the holiday was clearly about celebrating Italian-American culture. Cultures have their heroes and the historical figure often doesn't have that much to do with it.
    There are far better historical Italian-American figures to celebrate than Columbus, who wasn't even acting under orders from Italy anyway.

Might as well be celebrating Mussolini if he happened to discover some chunk of land somewhere... that he then brutally murdered and enslaved the natives to take.

I very much doubt Italy would be "offended" by America ceasing to celebrate Columbus day. People have already suggested celebrating indigenous peoples day on what used to be Columbus day in a bit of karmic irony.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    In yet another blow to the thing Trump seems to value more than his job or country, Trump's poll numbers keep dropping.

Gallup puts him at 34% approval.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Just finding out about secret pardons, he's gonna self pardon, and not tell anyone.
    Near as I can tell, nothing in the Constitution says the pardons have to be announced. But two things:

1) There does have to be some record. It's not like any court will take Trump's word without evidence that he pardoned someone but forgot to bring the paperwork with him. Biden can, therefore, immediately look at those records and announce all the secret pardons in a couple days. No record, no pardon.

2) Once it is known Trump issued blanket secret pre-emptive pardons, Biden can and should say "Well it looks like the President is allowed to issue blanket, secret, pre-emptive pardons. Trump did it, and everyone backed him. Therefore, just a second (turns back, scribbles furiously) there, I have now issued blanket, secret, pre-emptive pardons of my own. I'll just tuck these in a desk drawer for four, maybe eight years. Now, if the Republican Party doesn't like where that's going, surely they'd be willing to propose a bill that would outlaw blanket, secret, and-or pre-emptive pardons. Any. All, Go nuts. Hell, I'll sign it. Aaaaaaaaand I'll wait until such a bill is put forward before moving to prosecute Trump on any of his crimes. Sorry. I don't make the rules. (chuckles) Oh. Wait. I do."

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Is there a source for that?

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Talking about pardons was basically his entire monologue, but starting about the 6 minute mark going for the next 2, "don't trust the pardon list."

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Which part?

For secret Pardons...there's no constitutional requirement to reveal the recipient of the pardon, not even to the recipient. It would only be revealed when the recipient is actually charged with a federal crime.

As to him secretly pardoning himself...well...if there was a source...it wouldn't be a secret.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, it's time for Guess the Speaker!

I think history will remember us very well
    "Trump. Duh."

Actually it's Pompeo in a move which is either/both of these options:
    1) a bid for Vice President 2024, and/or
    2) reality denial

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    In yet another blow to the thing Trump seems to value more than his job or country, Trump's poll numbers keep dropping.
    His "series finale" should get some good ratings though. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Once again, it's time for Guess the Speaker!

"Trump. Duh."

Actually it's Pompeo in a move which is either/both of these options:
    1) a bid for Vice President 2024, and/or
    2) reality denial
    Fixed it for you :P

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Today we honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s message of hope, justice and equality.

So what's wrong. Seems like a nice message on MLK Day. Problem is this from official ICE Government Twitter. I have a feeling that MLK would have some issues with the way ICE has treated the people under their custody and arrests.
    I dunno, maybe he's from the 'did you pay duties on those bananas' part of ICE or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    142,022 new cases and 1,422 deaths bringing the total to 408,620. The numbers today are largely meaningless both because it's Monday and because it's a holiday and therefore it's woefully underreported. Tomorrow's numbers will likely be affected as well.

Not sure where I'll be taking this once the TRUMP SHITSHOW comes to an end given that it's likely to be an ongoing urgent problem for most of the year still thanks to Trump's admin fucking it up from the start. I'd rather not pollute the General COVID-19 thread with politics (which is why I've always done the updates here, for those of you still wondering) and I'm not sure I want to dump it in the Biden thread--unless his administration also starts fucking things up. I'll figure it out by the time the end of the thread comes, I guess.

Stay safe, folks.
    So, that means more Americans have now died from Covid-19 than the total amount of American deaths during World War II.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    So, that means more Americans have now died from Covid-19 than the total amount of American deaths during World War II.
    Paranoid governance during WW2 stripped innocent people of their homes and tossed them in internment camps for the fear of them doing something that might cost American lives.

But a disease that has killed more Americans than the Nazis or Japanese ever did? Not even worth a nation-wide mask mandate. And that refusal comes from the side that houses the only people who would probably cheer that gross, shameful and degrading overreach in WW2 as having been some shade of "necessary."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah but Trump never got us into any new wars tho so #winning

10+ Year Old Account
    No, not yet. Over 417,000 Americans died in WWII.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    yeah but Trump never got us into any new wars tho so #winning
    But, but, but, remember, Hillary would have... something, something, Syria, something, something, Iran, somethingsomething... EMAILS!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Oh okay, so... another few weeks, then. Just in time for Biden to take office and for conservative squawkboxes to start saying that Biden has failed to contain the virus still ravaging the world in his first month on the job, with a handy comparative figure for them to bandy about like they suddenly care.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome. Trump is about to kill more Americans than Nazis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Way way past that, considering the Pacific theater is included.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    But, but, but, remember, Hillary would have... something, something, Syria, something, something, Iran, somethingsomething... EMAILS!

Oh okay, so... another few weeks, then. Just in time for Biden to take office and for conservative squawkboxes to start saying that Biden has failed to contain the virus still ravaging the world in his first month on the job, with a handy comparative figure for them to bandy about like they suddenly care.
    It also means Covid-19 has killed less than 1/5 per 100,000 of the population as the 1918 H1N1 flu outbreak in the US.

Technically that happened a long time ago. Around 100k of that total was from accidents and illness. Combat deaths (which includes deaths while a POW) were around 300k or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the Trump supporting murderous insurrectionists stole Pelosi's laptop and, apparently, tried to sell it to the Russians.

"There's no--"

The FBI said so in an official court filing.

Well, you know the deal. It's time for @YUPPIE and @Green Jesus; and @Hammerfest and @Ghostpanther ;and @Thwart and @Zeth Hawkins and Pro-Violence and so forth and so on to come out from...whereever they are and condemn this. Because until they do, being Trump supporters, they are technically on record as supporting breaking into government offices and selling the information to our nation's enemies.

It should be ridiculously easy to denounce these actions. I don't have to, it wasn't Democrats or BLM or Antifa or Eagles fans that broke in and stole it. But just to be clear, that's somewhere between theft and treason. Material aid to the enemy, is treason. You get shot for that.

I call upon all remaining Trump supporters who set foot in these forums to denouce this act. They will be treated as supporting it, until they do, because of the company they chose to keep.

10+ Year Old Account
    It also means Covid-19 has killed less than 1/5 per 100,000 of the population as the 1918 H1N1 flu outbreak in the US.
    Yep, it only killed 400000... weather you think that’s a lot or a little, is simply your character as a human being.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi