Poll: Do you prefer the void elves or the nightborne?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Lol at people claiming that the Void elves are an "asspull" when the Nightborne literally came out of nowhere. Literally. Or explain how Maiev never noticed a giant purple bubble next to the Tomb of Sargeras. Oh wait, you can't.

You'd think that haters would learn after 3 years, but you never disappoint with your disinformation MMO-Champion LOL.

Just never forget this haters: you are the minority. A very tiny minority. Since Void elves are amongst the most played Alliance races in the game, and definitely the most played allied race.

OP: Void elves are better than Nightborne in every single possible way. I mean, even just looking at a Void elf player and then at a Nightborne player should make that obvious.
    I think many are saying that the Nightborne just have a better story layed out than the void elves. Not that they weren't out of now where. I personally mentioned that every allied race is pretty meh but the Nightborne stand out because of the massive storyline they had which I think introduced them well. I still don't like their look as a playable race though.

Both suck, but the fact that void elves are just reskinned Blood Elves makes them 100000x worse because Belf male animations are pathetic.
    I <3 JK Rowling.

Most of these Allied Races should have been a barber shop option rather than a race...

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    I very much doubt that the blood elves want anything to do with the void elves,seeing as they endangered the sunwell,so that would go against horde void elves. Besides,while that's not a lore point at all,they were essentially made to give the alliance the blood elf model
    They could tweak the lore.

Yeah, both races could have been neutral, but they weren't written that way with recruitment, so they aren't. If they should have been neutral? Arguably for the void elves, but with the lore baggage for nightborne and night elves, they'd have to do it well (which isn't something you trust blizz with) or hamfist bend it over backwards to make it work for alliance (and neutrality).

Void elves were a blank slate, so they'd have been easy peasy to do as a neutral faction. Not so much with nightborne.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post

Shame blizz slacked on bfa cities...
    What are you talking about, Boralus was awesome.

The "Void Elves" were such a case of Blizzard pulling something out of their ass, it's not even funny. Blizzard was clearly proud of their work with Suramar (as well they should be!), but BFA made it pretty clear that Blizzard was focused squarely and solely upon the Horde, and that was made painfully obvious in both narrative and "Allied Race" options (seriously; compare Vulpera to "Mechagnomes" and try to pretend those are comparable new races). Though I suppose the pendulum has swung back, as the Horde don't seem particularly relevant in Shadowlands thus far...

In any case, I think the Nightborne are an awesome race with a unique, gorgeous aesthetic. And I honestly do like the connection between Nightborne and the Blood Elves. It does make me question why Night Elves were ever given the option to be Mages, though, given they still clearly do not approve.

In terms of in-game models, though, I'd honestly like to see them revamped a little at some point. I'd like to see the females a little more "sultry" with the more Amazonian physique, while the males seem just a *bit* generic. Maybe just stylize them a bit more, to look even more old and decrepit, a contrast to the beauty of their female options? Or just make them equally good-looking to the females. I'd like to see their runic "tattoos" a little more pronounced, though.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
    What are you talking about, Boralus was awesome.
    Boralus was centered on the harbor, didn't have the massive quest lines nor build up of suramar liberation movement n their base n allies. Boralus visually may look good, but beneath the surface, not much there...

The zone had more quests outside the city, while Suramar vas city centered n more engaging cuz u really worked towards a goal, more progress
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-01-19 at 04:03 PM.

People compare Boralus with Suramar - why?
    Both places offered two completely different types of content.

Boralus was a city which functioned like a mini-Stormwind.
    Suramar was a world-quest/quest location that wasn't designed to be a city like Stormwind or Orgrimmar.

I like the Nightborne NPC's and Suramar City is the single most amazing place they put in the game. Ever. Lore wise... I mean, they were just saved by both Alliance and Horde, from a leader who conspired with the Legion,... only to participate in genocide right after that... just no.

Void elves. They have shitty customization options in my opinion. Alleria suffered some kind of character assassination by the hands of the devs while being reintroduced to the game. They managed to pretty much uncool them both - Turalyon and Alleria. What a waste.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanaria View Post
    People compare Boralus with Suramar - why?
    Both places offered two completely different types of content.

Boralus was a city which functioned like a mini-Stormwind.
    Suramar was a world-quest/quest location that wasn't designed to be a city like Stormwind or Orgrimmar.
    I think that the comparison stems from the fact that they are the first cities in WoW that look like... Well, actual cities, instead of Vanilla-sized (i.e. relatively small) hubs with player-required amenities. Even Dazar'alor doesn't feel like a capital city, but rather an unusually large temple.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Boralus was centered on the harbor, didn't have the massive quest lines nor build up of suramar liberation movement n their base n allies. Boralus visually may look good, but beneath the surface, not much there...

The zone had more quests outside the city, while Suramar vas city centered n more engaging cuz u really worked towards a goal, more progress
    We are not talking about the quests, dummy. We are talking about the architecture and the size here. Boralus feels like an actual city, pretty much like Suramar. Too bad Suramar was only ever used as a questing place. Such a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    We are not talking about the quests, dummy. We are talking about the architecture and the size here. Boralus feels like an actual city, pretty much like Suramar. Too bad Suramar was only ever used as a questing place. Such a waste.
    Suramar was not designed to be a city like Stormwind or Orgrimmar.
    The way it's designed wouldn't work like how Stormwind or Orgrimmar works.

Blizzard could only do something practical and phasing the Nighthold was the best way. That could be expanded, such as opening up the gardens of the Nighthold where our half-ent, half-nightborne botanist friend once stood.
    They could open up Elisande's old tower, but rather than going to the room where she was, more portals have been created and these go to Silvermoon and Shattrath.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    I very much doubt that the blood elves want anything to do with the void elves,seeing as they endangered the sunwell,so that would go against horde void elves. Besides,while that's not a lore point at all,they were essentially made to give the alliance the blood elf model
    This, and for the same reason I prefer Nightborne. Alliance should have just been given High Elves; the existence of Void Elves makes very little sense, or at least less sense than High Elves, to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I understand why they went this route with both elves as they are popular with the community.

But from a personal point of view, as an alliance player, screw the nightborne. I am exalted with them and I mopped up their mess and they still chose one faction over the other. Thalyssra spoke big of unity and justice and then pulled off this crap. She is an ass and my least favorite current leader.

(For similar reasons, Highmountain tauren can go play hide and seek blindfolded in Ny'alotha)
    Yeah well, Thalyssra is a sensitive soul and that Tyrande was really mean to her. So the wise and just Lady Thalyssra modified her views of peace and unity to "For the Horde". Because fuck you (Tyrande).

As for the HMT, fair. I feel the same about the LBD, ungrateful pricks that they are. Hypocrites too, ignoring the existence of void elves among their own ranks.

(Heck I think if void elves had to exist on Alliance, the LBD should have gone horde because they hate void people and left the Nightborne neutral- but meh)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    In terms of in-game models, though, I'd honestly like to see them revamped a little at some point. I'd like to see the females a little more "sultry" with the more Amazonian physique, while the males seem just a *bit* generic. Maybe just stylize them a bit more, to look even more old and decrepit, a contrast to the beauty of their female options? Or just make them equally good-looking to the females. I'd like to see their runic "tattoos" a little more pronounced, though.
    It'd make more sense for Night Elf women to be sultry and amazonian rather than Nightborne.

I prefer Nightborne in everything except player model. The player model vs actual Nightborne is a sad state of affairs. I think Void elves are a sad misfire. They should have just given Alliance High Elves and called it a day. If anyone has ever played D and D with an inexperienced or immature DM and had them insert a weird out of place NPC that they stick with because they think it's cool, that's what Velves feel like to me. A bad idea that was double downed on.

Nightborne, lorewise they make more sense, they arent that much different from blood elves in their culture, except they retained their dark/purple skin

void elves are just an asspull to give thalasian elves to alliance

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Cough View Post
    The Wrath of Vardoc will soon be upon us. Joking aside
    oh noes hes been banned, mmochamp is finaly free from his aleria obsession

I wouldnt play nightborne mainly cause i play alliance but since they are basically Night Elves they get my vote. Screw "High" Elves

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    This, and for the same reason I prefer Nightborne. Alliance should have just been given High Elves; the existence of Void Elves makes very little sense, or at least less sense than High Elves, to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah well, Thalyssra is a sensitive soul and that Tyrande was really mean to her. So the wise and just Lady Thalyssra modified her views of peace and unity to "For the Horde". Because fuck you (Tyrande).
    Tyrande has very good reasons for her reactions to the Nightborne:

They are all Highborne. She may perhaps be painting with too broad a brush, but her people and the world suffered greatly for the hubris of the nobility. Suramar froze this hubris in time, becoming a snapshot of the Kaldorei Empire, an empire that failed... twice.
    Speaking of failed empires, the Shal'dorei end up asking for assistance from the other elfkinds, to fight a rebellion against their Legion-aligned sovereign. Doesn't this sound familiar? There are oh so many parallels...
    A corrupt, oppressive nobility and a supreme ruler that is all but worshipped.
    The Burning Legion approaching and securing a deal with the elves for an incredible fount of arcane power. Said fount of power has made them addicted to arcane magic.
    The rebels requiring outside assistance to deal with the establishment and with their addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrage View Post
    It'd make more sense for Night Elf women to be sultry and amazonian rather than Nightborne.
    Not sure about "sultry", but I concede the point, it'd make more sense for them to be a little more "built" of the two. I suppose my mind went to the female Nightborne NPC's, which after you pointed out, does maybe seem more appropriate for the more "warrior-women" Night Elves than Nightborne specifically.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero2Zer0 View Post
    I wouldnt play nightborne mainly cause i play alliance but since they are basically Night Elves they get my vote. Screw "High" Elves

- - - Updated - - -

Tyrande has very good reasons for her reactions to the Nightborne:

They are all Highborne. She may perhaps be painting with too broad a brush, but her people and the world suffered greatly for the hubris of the nobility. Suramar froze this hubris in time, becoming a snapshot of the Kaldorei Empire, an empire that failed... twice.
    Speaking of failed empires, the Shal'dorei end up asking for assistance from the other elfkinds, to fight a rebellion against their Legion-aligned sovereign. Doesn't this sound familiar? There are oh so many parallels...
    A corrupt, oppressive nobility and a supreme ruler that is all but worshipped.
    The Burning Legion approaching and securing a deal with the elves for an incredible fount of arcane power. Said fount of power has made them addicted to arcane magic.
    The rebels requiring outside assistance to deal with the establishment and with their addiction.
    Pfft, nonsense and poppycock. POPPYCOCK I SAY!

(This comment as well as the previous one were just me having fun yo)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nightborne could definitely have been neutral. Their models are still pretty night elven, and in many cases they are quite literally the same night elves who were around during the Sundering, but their highborne heritage and decadent, magic-oriented city and culture is all lockstep with the blood elves. Cut down the middle like that, they could have easily gone to both sides.

Void elves are messier, since they were obviously created for a very specific purpose (to give the Alliance the blood elf skin they'd been after for years), and their aesthetic was designed to contrast against the light/brightness/sun themes their parent race has going on. I wonder which decision came first -- nightborne on the Horde, or void elves on the Alliance -- and how the other was created to balance it out. You'd think NB first, then VEs, but I'm not so sure.

OT, I'm not sure. I prefer the nightborne's introduction and overall story arc, but void elves have a lot of untapped potential and their (player) models are a lot better.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2021-01-20 at 12:08 AM.