Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Few suggestions that WILL make WoW a better game

Mythic+ Ladder (or a better system of rewards)
    I’m not referring to Shadowlands dropping little loot in M+, that doesn’t matter and doesn’t bother me too much. However, you do not have any reason to go beyond M+15 at all. An external score on a website means nothing.
    Why not have a ladder that gives you titles or mounts? It would be great.
    Either that, or for example completing all dungeons at +20 could reward you with a title. +25 could give you a different mount or even ‘free repairs’ for 6 months. I don’t know, the possibilities are endless and these 3 things I just mentioned honestly do not sound TOO TIME CONSUMING to implement. The mounts could be a recolor, who cares, it would still be something.

More arena rewards
    Back in WOTLK you had “The Flawless Victor” for 10 wins in a row above 2k.
    Today after getting Glad (which has never been this accessible before), you literally have 800 points of N O T H I N G in between.
    You can get Gladiator by winning 1 game and losing 1 on 2400, so you may end up on Glad with 2410 rating (example). Well, too bad Rank 1 is 3200+. Why isn’t there a more ‘recent’ 2700 3v3 achievement? Or another temporary title for reaching 2800? Another weapon enchant? Free Repairs?
    And what about 3k? There isn’t even an achievement.
    If you have pushed Gladiator but you are not good enough for Rank 1 or you do not ‘enjoy arena’ THAT much to just play it for fun, then you may very well lose all the incentive to do arenas for the season.
    Note: the reason why I’m mentioning free repairs twice so far is both a joke but also an input towards diversifying rewards. To give more immersion, it would be nice if being a better player would reward you with ‘convenience’ stuff and not ‘just’ better gear. Imagine having a 5min CD on your Hearthstone if you are really good at the game. Why not?

More interactions between factions and ‘world events’ or effects
    Back in Legion, there was a different world buff at the Mage Tower every week. Imagine if that buff would change and be assigned to the Alliance or Horde according to who has farmed more Stygia in that region. The buff could even be +5% honor earned through BGs…I don’t know. These things are pretty small but they would encourage people to log in, maybe contribute towards something that could ‘matter’, it would let people chat about it on Discord like “Oh this week the Horde won!” or whatever. This is just a quick example obviously

More unique looking transmog sets for more ‘difficult’ content
    MoP Challenge Modes were a damn huge success. The same goes for the Artifact Challenge. People literally had a reason to level up all of their alts and complete that content. If it’s been so damn successful, why not do it more often through the years?
    In BFA they waited until 8.3 to create something similar to the mage tower with Visions. Now we have Torghast. The path is correct and to be fair I’m not here to bash Torghast. But can anyone tell me why wasn’t it possible to do 10 masks visions in BFA and maybe get another reward, or earn ‘Coalescing Visions’ so you would indirectly have more keys (maybe account wide)?
    In Torghast, what about being able to do “Layer 16” for the standard wings (so layer 8 x2 in difficulty)? Still 6 floors but just twice as difficult.
    It could give you a cosmetic reward AND give you double Soul Ash so you don’t have to run through Layer 8 twice.
    Again, this is just an example off my head. Imagine if they made a Torghast ladder with some titles and rewards by adding affixes (similar to Mythic+).

I’m ignorant but these things certainly don’t look so difficult to create or think about, and I’m no genius.

If anyone agrees with these ideas, I’d love if they could be brought up somewhere. Reddit? US Forums? MMO-Champion? I hope it’s not ‘just’ me but I’m convinced that these things would have a very good impact. This stuff could INITIALLY matter for 10% of the playerbase but I think that a lot of people would play more if they knew that there were very nice rewards for pushing arenas more, for doing Torghast with a nice group, or to push M+ higher. So it would indirectly encourage far more people to play more and pay their sub 1-2 more months before freezing waiting for the next patch.

Hope you enjoyed the read.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus Christ thank god you'r not a dev. Your insistence in making niche, unpopular content even more rewarding would simply alienate the playerbase - almost no one does fucking "difficult" content, people won't start doing it once it becomes even more rewarding, they'll just jump to a game where they can get rewarded without doing tiring stuff like hard content.

One of the pillars that made WoW be more popular than it's predecessors was it's accessibility. You could finally get max lvl in a mmorpg without doing hard stuff like cooperating with other players to farm exp. This pillar still stands: easy content keeps this playerbase afloat. LFR, Random BGs, whatever.

If people aren't doing any of those activities it means they aren't fun.

I think Wintergrasp and Tol Barad was pretty good for "More interactions between factions and ‘world events’ or effects" back then. People wanted to have access to the raid and so would participate to the PvP event every few hours. It was honestly one of the most enjoyable times I've had with friends back then. Sure it was frustrating when losing because you couldn't do the raid, however it made it even more satisfying when you won.

I just want the Reforger back so sick of all this shit armour that I can't use when I finally get a drop. I would also like to get some bikini plate options getting tired of wearing classic low rez just to look sexy.
    Last edited by Impereus; 2021-01-19 at 03:56 PM.

I don't know about all that, but I have noticed a distinct lack of interesting transmog options. I'm not entirely sure why Blizzard is holding back in the cosmetic rewards realm so much.

Blizzard has never and will never cater to the top few percent and it couldn't be more evident. If they did raids would have no lockout, mythic would be the only difficulty, and you'd see 85% or more of the playerbase leave en masse. There's a reason why the ocean isn't only full of sharks and the plains of Africa aren't covered in only lions.

The game in the past was catered to mid-core players and over the last 10 years they've gradually shifted to serving the casual to semi-casual players. In your mind then they must be headed in the "wrong" direction. But the numbers disagree with you.

It's in Blizzard's best interest to create something that everyone can enjoy and if the ceiling is too daunting then people will simply leave. A lot of people don't want to spend 12 hours a day on a video game to even compete and feel some accomplishment, and for them the only way to win is to not play at all.

As Chozo said, I'm really happy you're not one of the devs. Mythic+ dungeons are niche as hell and adding more rewards would just piss people off because most people don't do mythic+. Same goes for pvp. You don't make the players happy by giving more rewards to extremely niche portions of the game. As for the third point, just hell no. Blizzard has clear Alliance bias, which you can see with war mode rewards. The Alliance ALWAYS has the better rewards so making another system that does the same thing would do nothing but piss off people on the Horde. And finally, we don't need to add MORE rewards to niche high end content.

These changes would make the game 10 times worse. I certainly wouldn't play anymore if they happened.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Jesus Christ thank god you'r not a dev. Your insistence in making niche, unpopular content even more rewarding would simply alienate the playerbase - almost no one does fucking "difficult" content, people won't start doing it once it becomes even more rewarding, they'll just jump to a game where they can get rewarded without doing tiring stuff like hard content.

One of the pillars that made WoW be more popular than it's predecessors was it's accessibility. You could finally get max lvl in a mmorpg without doing hard stuff like cooperating with other players to farm exp. This pillar still stands: easy content keeps this playerbase afloat. LFR, Random BGs, whatever.

If people aren't doing any of those activities it means they aren't fun.
    I mean to be fair 100% of the playerbase I play with over the last 16 years of wow would fit in the oposite category as you claim. From my experience the opposite is actually true. The majority of the playerbase are try hards.

Quote Originally Posted by Odrareg View Post
    I’m not referring to Shadowlands dropping little loot in M+, that doesn’t matter and doesn’t bother me too much. However, you do not have any reason to go beyond M+15 at all. An external score on a website means nothing.
    Either that, or for example completing all dungeons at +20 could reward you with a title. +25 could give you a different mount or even ‘free repairs’ for 6 months. I don’t know, the possibilities are endless and these 3 things I just mentioned honestly do not sound TOO TIME CONSUMING to implement. The mounts could be a recolor, who cares, it would still be something.
    +15 is the high end of accessible, and thats mostly with meta/FOTM classes. Any further and its a grind that no one wants to do. It will only be available to the top 1% or people paying for it.
    As is, I wager that 'most' people that reach +15 did so for the FOS and are glad they dont need to go further and likely wouldnt bothered with +15 if +20/+25/etc was the goal.

More arena rewards
    Today after getting Glad (which has never been this accessible before), you literally have 800 points of N O T H I N G in between.
    You can get Gladiator by winning 1 game and losing 1 on 2400, so you may end up on Glad with 2410 rating (example). Well, too bad Rank 1 is 3200+. Why isn’t there a more ‘recent’ 2700 3v3 achievement? Or another temporary title for reaching 2800? Another weapon enchant? Free Repairs?
    If you have pushed Gladiator but you are not good enough for Rank 1 or you do not ‘enjoy arena’ THAT much to just play it for fun, then you may very well lose all the incentive to do arenas for the season.
    Note: the reason why I’m mentioning free repairs twice so far is both a joke but also an input towards diversifying rewards. To give more immersion, it would be nice if being a better player would reward you with ‘convenience’ stuff and not ‘just’ better gear. Imagine having a 5min CD on your Hearthstone if you are really good at the game. Why not?
    More rewards? Sure.
    Simply making higher and higher rankings required? No way.
    For the average player, the rankings are out of reach but just high enough so seem attainable. Any higher and it becomes too niche and alienating

More interactions between factions and ‘world events’ or effects
    Back in Legion, there was a different world buff at the Mage Tower every week. Imagine if that buff would change and be assigned to the Alliance or Horde according to who has farmed more Stygia in that region. The buff could even be +5% honor earned through BGs…I don’t know. These things are pretty small but they would encourage people to log in, maybe contribute towards something that could ‘matter’, it would let people chat about it on Discord like “Oh this week the Horde won!” or whatever. This is just a quick example obviously
    Would simply lead to one faction winning every single time.
    Factions are already inbalanced, this is basically just the Warmode bonus but with more effort to get it.
    Hint: Horde would win every week.
    For the losing side: there would be no pride in winning, no 'lets go do it'... it would go the opposite to a 'why bother, we always lose'

MoP Challenge Modes were a damn huge success. The same goes for the Artifact Challenge. People literally had a reason to level up all of their alts and complete that content. If it’s been so damn successful, why not do it more often through the years?
    In BFA they waited until 8.3 to create something similar to the mage tower with Visions. Now we have Torghast. The path is correct and to be fair I’m not here to bash Torghast. But can anyone tell me why wasn’t it possible to do 10 masks visions in BFA and maybe get another reward, or earn ‘Coalescing Visions’ so you would indirectly have more keys (maybe account wide)?
    In Torghast, what about being able to do “Layer 16” for the standard wings (so layer 8 x2 in difficulty)? Still 6 floors but just twice as difficult.
    It could give you a cosmetic reward AND give you double Soul Ash so you don’t have to run through Layer 8 twice.
    Again, this is just an example off my head. Imagine if they made a Torghast ladder with some titles and rewards by adding affixes (similar to Mythic+).
    Most of your solutions is just to add more levels to things. 4 mask solo was something the 'higher than average' player would attain in time. Creating content for the 1% is just asking for the 99% who do care about it to not even bother and drop out.

Making things more accessible while still challenging is what would make woW better. Your only getting 1 of those.

Making wow better:
    - Make anything that is a grind reward proportiontly.
    - Any 'required' grinds should be fun or short.
    - Everything should be balanced well enough you arent punished for choices made you cant change (class/faction/race/server/etc)
    - Adding in optional challenges that are fun enough and rewarding enough that you have a 'reason' to keep playing so you arent the only one doing them (very rare to see groups for Visions past the first few weeks, Islands only ever had a handful at best and you are SOL if you wanted a PVP island, Twisting Torghast will get deader and deader the more people that finish it since theres no reason to go back, etc)
    - Dont design the entire game around making the game endless, the majority of people 'want' to achieve their goals, not have an endless treadmill that is always out of reach.

I actually agree with all of these ideas and would be happy to see them implemented.

I really like all your suggestions OP.

I don't disagree that M+ needs more cosmetic rewards - and neither does Blizzard, as they've stated. But anything above 15-18 is not balanced and Blizzard has no intent to balance them. If you start adding rewards at those levels, it becomes a very small sector of the playerbase (and group comp) that can achieve those rewards and people will complain even more than they do now.

More arena rewards
    Along the same lines... gladiator is one of the rarest achievements/titles in every expansion. Adding rewards beyond 2400+ isn't going to make anybody else play arena.

As someone who loved challenge modes and did gold on both expansions, they were absolutely not a huge success. Less than 10% of the playerbase has the bronze CM achievement in either expansion.

Adding more rewards to the high end niche content that barely anybody does will not make the game better...

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously thought the first few replies were completely /s. What game are people playing if there not doing M+(from any level), PvP(at any level), raids (at any level) and therefore wouldnt see cosmetic and achievement rewards as a plus to the content they are participating in?

If completing these cutting edge top 1% stuff provided an insane leg up on other players then thats an issue, but otherwise if it is just for prestige to show off armours, enchants etc. then 100% it should always be provided and pushed higher as people get better. Just to give incentive to continue doing what you enjoy. Seeing people stand out because of there unique titles and gear is something as old as WoW's inception and should always be a part of it, it makes the game feel deeper and more complex to people who aren't in that 1% world, and gives people reason to want to be them.

Some interesting ideas, but honestly I don't feel like any of that is needed.
    It may seem like it would make the game better, but that's not the only thing to consider.

Devising these systems and their associated elements takes work away from other stuff.
    Do you feel like these things are needed for the game in a way that they might take away from something else?

To me, the answer is no.

I'd like to see some type of M+ ladder, but they just don't view the system that way.
    There isn't one for raiding either, so I can't imagine they are going to reimagine the content just for it.

Right now, I'm just focused on getting these pve loot concerns fixed.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    Some interesting ideas, but honestly I don't feel like any of that is needed.
    It may seem like it would make the game better, but that's not the only thing to consider.

Devising these systems and their associated elements takes work away from other stuff.
    Do you feel like these things are needed for the game in a way that they might take away from something else?

To me, the answer is no.

I'd like to see some type of M+ ladder, but they just don't view the system that way.
    There isn't one for raiding either, so I can't imagine they are going to reimagine the content just for it.

Right now, I'm just focused on getting these pve loot concerns fixed.
    MDI and World First Race is exactly what they imagine when creating their content, an in game interface with player names and guilds would be a nice touch to community interaction knowing who is leading the PvE scene on your realm.

I will never really understand the logic of people who claim that "higher rewards" for "little % of the playerbase" will harm everyone else. At this point the existance of the Rank 1 title or Mythic raids is harming the playerbase as few people get there anyways. And what about the existence of MDI and AWC? Aren't they alienating the playerbase by showing such a high skill cap? Adding more content and rewards will never HARM the game.

I am sincerely convinced that the ideas written above would make the game have more longevity for a good amount of players who are not absolutely casual.

If we really have to talk about 'big impactful changes for the silent majority', then you know that we need WoW 2 with Unreal Engine graphics, 2 new classes, a 3rd faction, and all of those fancy things. They would bring back a large amount of players or even attract new players that never played WoW before.
    If such changes are out of question, then I guess we can go back to talk about titanforging and more allied races as if they will matter more.

... Man I'm glad you're not a top position dev, or any sort of dev, on this game. Who'd want more cosmetics??

/s

I actually would be down for some of the ideas. Not all of them, but some. I don't care much for the seasonal shit going on with M+, I'd prefer it if the cosmetics were more numerous, but something you could earn throughout the expansion. Like Challenge Mode sets.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2021-01-19 at 04:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    I mean to be fair 100% of the playerbase I play with over the last 16 years of wow would fit in the oposite category as you claim. From my experience the opposite is actually true. The majority of the playerbase are try hards.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anecdotal
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Well, you were correct....very few of those suggestions will make WoW better

Mythic+ is an abomination and should be removed from the game. It shouldn't be Diablo 3. Why copy from such a bad game?