Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Pretty awful show, me and the wife agreed it was a huge waste of time. I spent the whole of the first episode thinking that it was going to get good and something left field was going to happen and it just ended.

To be fair, in the movies Vision was probably less useful than Hawkeye so I don't know why I had any expectations.

I'm just glad they're showing Scarlet Witch doing more reality manipulation instead of just pew pewing and flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    That show needs some color, this is not 1952
    I feel sad watching this on a 4K Ultra HD OLED TV with HDR
    Had you only finished the two 25 minute long episodes....lol....

Or were you trying to flex on the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I try to avoid spoilers from trailers.

I dont think this needs to eviolve into something like daredevil or one of the other standard marvel series where its just crimefighting superhero stuff. But i also dont think the sitcom style works very well for it so far.
    This is a prelude to a larger story, which should be obvious from the first two episodes.
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2021-01-18 at 07:27 PM.
    I'm a thread killer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    This is a prelude to a larger story, which should be obvious from the first two episodes.
    Another thing people seem to miss; these are the first two episodes of an 8-10 episode story. This early, you're establishing character and initial conflict; we know not only the main two characters now, but also their fellow "cast" members and their roles, and that sitcom setting is clearly artificial and malleable, and that there's "leaks" in whatever's creating it where something else is getting "in".

They've also set a lot of development into Wanda and Vision in this incarnation, in ways I think people are overlooking. Take the dinner party in the first episode; their guest starts choking, and neither Wanda nor Vision react. They're just confused. Until Wanda explicitly tells Vision to save him. Knowing what we knew of Vision in the films, his central ethic was protecting people; this is a deviation of character which demands (future) explanation. In fact, consider how Vision acts outside of Wanda's sight; he's a classic "sitcom dad", panicky, insecure, over-emotional, etc. Totally out of character, almost like he's an archetype over which a Vision filter was placed. Wanda's the only one who actually seems to know something's hinky. She's the only one that's "real". And we can tell that by how they've been presented in these two episodes alone. Nor can we put Vision's conduct down to his memory being wiped or something, as we could with Wanda; outside of a few seconds of violent panic, Vision was entirely himself basically from his "birth", there is no prior condition for him to return to. Even if we ignore that, y'know, he's dead.

I think it's highly likely that what we're seeing isn't Wanda's reality-manipulation in any real sense. As I've pointed out a couple times, keeping a powered individual in sedation by keeping them busy with an AI-run virtual reality is already MCU canon, with the Framework. Not saying this is exactly that, but it was SHIELD who built the Framework, and we're seeing Sword symbols all over, which is SHIELDs sister agency. So I'm betting it's either that, or a new iteration on that platform. This also why, I think, Wanda's powers as expressed look like cheap sitcom effects; it isn't her actual use of powers, it's the VR providing something akin to her powers that remain consistent with the setting. If there is any actual power use by Wanda, I'd bet it's tied to the color we've seen, some subconscious part of her trying to wake the rest of her up.

We may get full House of M insanity by the end, but I'm pretty much 98% certain that's not what we're seeing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Not sure where the issue is then. The beginning of this story was going to be that formula with a little bit of her trying to grasp the concept that it's not real. As it progresses she'll fight back more and more against the reality she's created and we'll progress through Phase 4.
    The problem was that it was never going to work as just a sitcom.
    Its not especially interesting and it doesnt fit the universe at all.

Not sure whats confusing you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    SNIP.
    Think they are going to do a soft reset on SHIELD/SWORD and form a new one or?

It seems like they cut ties with agents of shield some time ago

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Another thing people seem to miss; these are the first two episodes of an 8-10 episode story. This early, you're establishing character and initial conflict; we know not only the main two characters now, but also their fellow "cast" members and their roles, and that sitcom setting is clearly artificial and malleable, and that there's "leaks" in whatever's creating it where something else is getting "in".

They've also set a lot of development into Wanda and Vision in this incarnation, in ways I think people are overlooking. Take the dinner party in the first episode; their guest starts choking, and neither Wanda nor Vision react. They're just confused. Until Wanda explicitly tells Vision to save him. Knowing what we knew of Vision in the films, his central ethic was protecting people; this is a deviation of character which demands (future) explanation. In fact, consider how Vision acts outside of Wanda's sight; he's a classic "sitcom dad", panicky, insecure, over-emotional, etc. Totally out of character, almost like he's an archetype over which a Vision filter was placed. Wanda's the only one who actually seems to know something's hinky. She's the only one that's "real". And we can tell that by how they've been presented in these two episodes alone. Nor can we put Vision's conduct down to his memory being wiped or something, as we could with Wanda; outside of a few seconds of violent panic, Vision was entirely himself basically from his "birth", there is no prior condition for him to return to. Even if we ignore that, y'know, he's dead.

I think it's highly likely that what we're seeing isn't Wanda's reality-manipulation in any real sense. As I've pointed out a couple times, keeping a powered individual in sedation by keeping them busy with an AI-run virtual reality is already MCU canon, with the Framework. Not saying this is exactly that, but it was SHIELD who built the Framework, and we're seeing Sword symbols all over, which is SHIELDs sister agency. So I'm betting it's either that, or a new iteration on that platform. This also why, I think, Wanda's powers as expressed look like cheap sitcom effects; it isn't her actual use of powers, it's the VR providing something akin to her powers that remain consistent with the setting. If there is any actual power use by Wanda, I'd bet it's tied to the color we've seen, some subconscious part of her trying to wake the rest of her up.

We may get full House of M insanity by the end, but I'm pretty much 98% certain that's not what we're seeing right now.
    If I had to guess (with 0 knowledge of the comics), Wanda attempted to help SWORD with an investigation into something supernatural, 'linked into' some sort of paranormal phenomenon, and got trapped there by someone/something, like a Netrunner in Cyberpunk can get trapped in ICE. They are now trying to contact her, but have to be careful not to all-out reveal themselves because it could cause her to reject whatever reality she created to protect herself. Maybe she tried to trick someone powerful to help her get Vision back? I somewhat doubt that it will necessarily introduce a big bad for Phase 4, but probably just hint at it. That's just my guess, though.

I though the series was pretty solid so far, all though it dragged a little imho. It was still fun to see Vision again. Curious for more.

So far I've enjoyed the show, seems like it's a decent build up for some greater reveal
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I never liked I Love Lucy or Dick Van Dyke type sitcoms, so if I were impatient, I'd already be calling the show terrible and boring. However, since it is painfully obvious the sitcom is just a front to a much darker story that has all but been outright confirmed will lead straight into Dr. Strange and The Multiverse of Madness, I'm just enjoying the camp and look forward to the mystery unraveling and the show's reality itself deteriorating all around Wanda.

The first two episodes get boring and drag on at times, sure; they're not funny one bit, in fact, the jokes are cringe-inducing unlike say, The Wonder Years which was hilarious, sure, and the nuggets of the series' ominous secrets are far and few in between in those first 2 episodes, but if you can't enjoy the window dressing before the curtain gets pulled back, then I don't know why the hell you're even watching this. Go watch Avengers for the 113th time. There are a lot of gratuitous explosions and action there to hold your attention.

All the people complaining that its slow and drags on.. take your god damn ridalin, each episode is 25 mins or less without credits.. maybe it appeals to more to elder millenials anf gen x-ers, but i thought they were pretty entertaining, and the subtleties between the eras of the first two episodes were really well done, and all the details and easter eggs were fun to hunt for. looks like next episode is heading into the ear 60s TV era, maybe into the brady bunch era, once the kids grow a bit. i think its a really cool idea and i cant wait to see where they take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinictus View Post
    I spent the whole of the first episode thinking that [...] something left field was going to happen
    But...that's literally what happened. Dude spent like two minutes choking while his wife laughed and said "stop it" over and over again... And that came after they were both demanding to know details about Wanda/Vision's past (that neither of them could or would remember) like a program stuck in a loop. Which, I assume is part of what is going on.

In the 2nd episode there was definitely some weird shit going on with the lady who was organizing the talent show "For the Children." Not to mention the shift in camera work when Wanda found the toy helicopter that was in color and had that sword logo on it.

I'm not sure what people were expecting, tbh. It's not as if they were just going to make straight-up parody sitcom episodes that just happened to have two comic book characters as the leads. And it would have been pretty dumb to just come out in episode one and reveal to the audience what exactly is going on.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2021-01-19 at 09:08 AM.

It seems like a lot of the people that didn’t like the first two episodes just...didn’t watch the episodes?

Likes, it’s fine to not like something, but most of the complaints I’ve seen indicate that very obvious details were missed.

And when you dig into the “hidden clues” it just gets better.

But oh no, it didn’t have a “reveal a baby Yoda moment”!
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    the show is incredibly boring
    Agreed.

It all came across as boring and you'll only see and know about the small things if you were a comic fan. The general watchers will have no clue of SWORD and will in general make little to no connection to SHIELD or any other the other agencies from comics.

So while I too found it boring and I get it's supposed to be a build up to something more, I am at least intrigued at the possibilities as I would love to see MOJO and the introduction of the X-men as he had it in for those characters and he was big in to TV but damn I don't think it got off on the right foot for a lot of viewers no matter if it's MOJO or Mr. Sinister or whoever they put in at the big bad.
    Last edited by quras; 2021-01-19 at 04:58 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Huh, whole show feels like Scarlet Witch is going through some mental breakdown and used her powers to usurp an entire small city to create her own fantasy life / world, probably as envisioned from stuff she had the chance to watch before or after the weirdness in her life began.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    It all came across as boring and you'll only see and know about the small things if you were a comic fan. The general watchers will have no clue of SWORD and will in general make little to no connection to SHIELD or any other the other agencies from comics.
    I don't know shit about the comics but I didn't even catch reference to any SWORD organization. There's someone trying to contact her or even different people, one through radio, other through... the sewers or whatever, she's being monitored or something, no idea who wants to help or harm.

It's all mystery, and it's fine.

The theme and the forced out of nowhere romance between those two characters never interested me to begin with, which started in Ultron/Civil War. At least it was less bad than the time they tried to force a Hulk x Blackwidow romance. The series doesn't appeal to me in any sense, but whoever is enjoying it, kudos to you.

Like most people in this thread I find it boring but intriguing. I also think it the show would be much more well received if it was released all at once instead of on a weekly basis. I am not really excited to see the next episode but I do feel that they are building towards something that is cool. That being said the whole Dick Van Dyke aspect is done really really well.
    There's also nothing stopping Blizzard from resurrecting both Arthas and Archimonde and turning them into super saiyans so that they can fuse and fight Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Sesethi View Post
    The theme and the forced out of nowhere romance between those two characters never interested me to begin with, which started in Ultron/Civil War. At least it was less bad than the time they tried to force a Hulk x Blackwidow romance. The series doesn't appeal to me in any sense, but whoever is enjoying it, kudos to you.
    As a comic fan thats an interesting take for me to see someone use. Wanda and Vision have had a long standing comic relationship. It was decently done for the movies and wasn't an "out of no where" romance. I was expecting it and wondering how they would do it.

The Banner and Romanoff to me was indeed the odd romance but I also thought it worked given one particular line where she says, "He's not so bad. He has a temper... deep down he's all fluff. Fact is, he's not like anybody I've ever known. All my friends are fighters. And here comes this guy, spends his life avoiding the fight because he knows he'll win."

That mindset made it work for me in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    I don't know shit about the comics but I didn't even catch reference to any SWORD organization. There's someone trying to contact her or even different people, one through radio, other through... the sewers or whatever, she's being monitored or something, no idea who wants to help or harm.

It's all mystery, and it's fine.
    The SWORD references aren't overt. They're using SWORD symbols, and SWORD hasn't been referenced in the MCU before at any point, other than maybe in a tiny background easter egg (and I only say that much to cover my butt against some blurry screen image in a background somewhere proving me wrong).

At the least, it's on the screens when the framing pulls back and reveals the show's taking place on a monitor in some kind of lab setting, it's on the helicopter that's weirdly red-and-yellow in a black-and-white world, and it's on the back of the beekeeper's uniform. We saw the logo pop up no less than 4 times over 2 episodes, on points of focus in moments that are meant to be dramatic reveals; that's no longer an easter egg, that's a statement that SWORD is deliberately relevant to what's going on. It's just quiet enough that you'd need to be a comics fan to have noticed yourself while watching, though you might have noticed the repeated symbol without understanding what agency's logo it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Agreed.

So while I too found it boring and I get it's supposed to be a build up to something more, I am at least intrigued at the possibilities as I would love to see MOJO and the introduction of the X-men as he had it in for those characters and he was big in to TV but damn I don't think it got off on the right foot for a lot of viewers no matter if it's MOJO or Mr. Sinister or whoever they put in at the big bad.
    You as a viewer don't need to know anything about SWORD to know there's another plot going on the background. And if you don't know how that things aren't what they appear to be then you aren't familiar with the MCU, then this show is a terrible place to begin. The viewer couldn't have picked a worse entry point and the storytellers shouldn't have to hand hold those people.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You as a viewer don't need to know anything about SWORD to know there's another plot going on the background. And if you don't know how that things aren't what they appear to be then you aren't familiar with the MCU, then this show is a terrible place to begin. The viewer couldn't have picked a worse entry point and the storytellers shouldn't have to hand hold those people.
    If nothing else, you should've noticed the symbol on the helicopter, and the same symbol on the beekeeper, and there's no way you missed either because they were the absolute focus of their scenes.

You don't need to know what the symbol means, yet. But there's connections being drawn which should suggest there's something more going on here.

Hmf...this stinks like SHIELD. And if this based on a comic story then it's not one I cared for.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    might check it out once all episodes are out and if it gets good feedback. Burnt out on the superhero spam so it needs to be a 10/10 to get my interest now. Especially since the what if universe is gonna make consequences completely null and void something i've always had a problem with marvel wanting to have its cake and eat it too. Latest back is Xbones. But with multiverses and what if stuff coming out everyone will think its the greatest thing out and wont see a problem with having no tension or lasting consequences and invalidating previous films.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.