Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    So is this the state party equivalent of, "I'm moving to Canada!"?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    yeah I don't think he understands the full implications. People wouldn't be just free to leave the state anymore. They would need passports just to leave, and thats if we would even let them. I would see no reason to be friendly with them after leaving.
    I do understand the full implications. I just don’t think Wyoming will be as poor off as some other taker states. Also states tend to be somewhat more independent then similar territorial bodies in other countries. Besides not all of my arguments were entirely serious anyways. I do find the idea of a Wyoming going full North Korea to be amusing but not likely.

Wyoming could also go full Afghanistan. A religious zealot nation where the Magahats flee to after they commit acts of terrorism in the USA.

I know from a constitutional perspective secession is horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Yeah, Like I said, I think he just wants to argue.
    I for one appreciate what he's doing. They're never going to go form their fascist paradise state and gtfo of our way if you Debbie downers keep pointing out the obvious flaws in their reasoning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So is this the state party equivalent of, "I'm moving to Canada!"?
    Right?

They mock us when we say things like "if Trump wins I'm moving to Canada" but then when Trump loses they're suddenly talking of secession?

Idiots, all of them.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sweet. Now all they need is to fund their own military and... fuck, now they’re in the hole again. Significantly. Oh well, at least they’ll have a trading partner for their dying industries.
    On top of the military......

Oh they spent about 750 million in total on Medicaid, of which the feds picked up 53% (in 2019)

So that's another 400 million they have to come up with a year, that is if they want to keep up healthcare for the 11-13% of the states population that lives in poverty.

Households 230k. Average income @household level 62k. 1700 per household. 2.74% income tax needed to pay for Medicaid only.

In 2020, it is estimated that around 2,166 U.S. dollars per capita were spent on military causes by the United States

So lets say they only spend 1,000 bucks cause, reasons? No Navy? No space force? Another 1.6% tax

Roads? Education? Medicare? Social Security?
    You lose all that money banked at the federal level for these programs.
    You think the US is going to keep paying 110,000 people's Medicare bills in WY?
    Kiss those average 1300-1400 social security checks goodbye.

Climbing that income tax ladder fast! Or New WY-federal tax, since they are their own federal entity if they go bye bye.

They could easily have a tax burden greater than even NY!!! YES NY!

That is why you can't take any of these thing seriously cause they don't
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The point is that a small state like Wyoming could succeed as a sovereign nation even with its small population. Iceland's even smaller and it works. This isn't complicated.
    I think the key word there is "developed", not "nation".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I think the key word there is "developed", not "nation".
    Yeah yeah we don't have running water and electricity out here, and cattle rustlers are still a problem.(one of those statements is true)

We're hardly some grand metropolis but we're far from undeveloped. And our GDP is about 10 billion higher than Iceland. So if you want to talk about "undeveloped"....

I'm not suggesting Wyoming would be successful, only pointing out that most people know jack shit about the state aside from sound bytes like "they get a lot of federal money!".
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Yeah yeah we don't have running water and electricity out here, and cattle rustlers are still a problem.(one of those statements is true)

We're hardly some grand metropolis but we're far from undeveloped. And our GDP is about 10 billion higher than Iceland. So if you want to talk about "undeveloped"....

I'm not suggesting Wyoming would be successful, only pointing out that most people know jack shit about the state aside from sound bytes like "they get a lot of federal money!".
    Half of Wyoming is owned by the Federal Government so there is that. Lots of mineral extraction and tourism. At least it's not Louisiana.

7+ Year Old Account
    Fucking idiots. Go ahead and secede. Buh bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    On top of the military......

Oh they spent about 750 million in total on Medicaid, of which the feds picked up 53% (in 2019)

So that's another 400 million they have to come up with a year, that is if they want to keep up healthcare for the 11-13% of the states population that lives in poverty.

Households 230k. Average income @household level 62k. 1700 per household. 2.74% income tax needed to pay for Medicaid only.

In 2020, it is estimated that around 2,166 U.S. dollars per capita were spent on military causes by the United States

So lets say they only spend 1,000 bucks cause, reasons? No Navy? No space force? Another 1.6% tax

Roads? Education? Medicare? Social Security?
    You lose all that money banked at the federal level for these programs.
    You think the US is going to keep paying 110,000 people's Medicare bills in WY?
    Kiss those average 1300-1400 social security checks goodbye.

Climbing that income tax ladder fast! Or New WY-federal tax, since they are their own federal entity if they go bye bye.

They could easily have a tax burden greater than even NY!!! YES NY!

That is why you can't take any of these thing seriously cause they don't
    Wyoming and other idiots who want to secede from the U.S.: "Mom I know I told you I hate your guts and I never want to see you again but I need money to pay for things like food and a home. So give me some money you old fucking hag."

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Wyoming also has twice the population of Iceland. GDP can be a little misleading in cases like this.

Most states already provide a lot of services which is why I don't think they'll do poorly. That's not to say they'll be better off.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wyoming also has twice the population of Iceland. GDP can be a little misleading in cases like this.

Most states already provide a lot of services which is why I don't think they'll do poorly. That's not to say they'll be better off.

Again. how do you think They are going to get anything? There will no longer be free travel across their borders. They will be isolated with no imports/exports.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    While I agree the idea is ludicrous, this is a definit misstatement.

When there are no trade deals, trade is allowed under WTO rules (standard tarifs and the like).
    Only if the nation is recognized by the UN. And that would be entirely dependent on the good graces of the United States, since the UN wouldn't recognize a breakaway section of a security counsel member without the permission of that Nation (See Taiwan for an example).

Even if they did get recognition, they would have to deal with visas to travel to the United States, tarrifs on any goods imported (Which is like, all of them, Wyoming doesn't produce consumer goods), and so an and so forth. It would be horrific for them.

Again. how do you think They are going to get anything? There will no longer be free travel across their borders. They will be isolated with no imports/exports.
    Trade. Will it be in their favour? Maybe not but its not like they would be the only land locked nation out there. The State of Wyoming already provides a lot of services and unlike most taker states they have money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trade. Will it be in their favour? Maybe not but its not like they would be the only land locked nation out there. The State of Wyoming already provides a lot of services and unlike most taker states they have money.
    What are you not understanding about no border crossing? How are they going to send/receive goods? You think America is just gonna let them use our infrastructure no questions asked? Are they power independent? It's not just that they are landlocked. It's they have no treaties or anything to be able to do what would be needed.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shedding ourselves of one of the taker states as well as two Republican seats in the Senate? Score.

Do a flip while you secede, Wyoming!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

What are you not understanding about no border crossing? How are they going to send/receive goods? You think America is just gonna let them use our infrastructure no questions asked? Are they power independent? It's not just that they are landlocked. It's they have no treaties or anything to be able to do what would be needed.
    Why do you keep assuming they'll be instantly isolated? You see isolation, I see 600k people with goods to sell and money to spend. Trade will happen. Wyoming will have to pay to get their goods out of state but that's just a detail to be negotiated over. Most isolated countries are isolated because they choose to be.

I honestly don't think the US will be outright dicks about it. Private concerns within the US will want what Wyoming has and they'll lobby to get it. The only question is whether the average Wyomingite will be better, worse or way worse than before. I'm of the opinion it will only be "worse".

Unless of course they decide to go full "North Korea" on the rest of the US. Which actually wouldn't shock me.

Hmf...if I recall it'd take most of the fed to agree...the rest of the states have to agree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you keep assuming they'll be instantly isolated? You see isolation, I see 600k people with goods to sell and money to spend. Trade will happen. Wyoming will have to pay to get their goods out of state but that's just a detail to be negotiated over. Most isolated countries are isolated because they choose to be.

I honestly don't think the US will be outright dicks about it. Private concerns within the US will want what Wyoming has and they'll lobby to get it. The only question is whether the average Wyomingite will be better, worse or way worse than before. I'm of the opinion it will only be "worse".

Unless of course they decide to go full "North Korea" on the rest of the US. Which actually wouldn't shock me.

Not at much as you seem to want to think.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade...e/data/wy.html

Seriously what do you think Wyoming has that we can't already get from another state in the union. Why would the us want to deal with a newly radicalized country. Or are you forgetting why they want to secede?

Not at much as you seem to want to think.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade...e/data/wy.html

Seriously what do you think Wyoming has that we can't already get from another state in the union. Why would the us want to deal with a newly radicalized country. Or are you forgetting why they want to secede?
    You just listed all of their exports and then asked who would want it. Dude, srsly. People already want their shit and they'll still want their shit. Trade will happen.

Again, the only question is whether the average Wyomingite will be better, worse or way worse than before. Better won't happen, way worse will likely only happen if Wyoming gets extra stupid on top of secession (an already acknowledged possibility).