Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    You just listed all of their exports and then asked who would want it. Dude, srsly. People already want their shit and they'll still want their shit. Trade will happen.

Again, the only question is whether the average Wyomingite will be better, worse or way worse than before. Better won't happen, way worse will likely only happen if Wyoming gets extra stupid on top of secession (an already acknowledged possibility).
    Did you look at how much it was compared to the rest of the country? .1%...... They literally have NOTHING we don't already have in another state.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Did you look at how much it was compared to the rest of the country? .1%...... They literally have NOTHING we don't already have in another state.
    Well, besides Disodium Carbonate, they don't. But that's not the point. They have stuff. Having stuff means someone else might want your stuff. The only question becomes how much are you going to get for it?

Edit:
    Speaking of Disodium Carbonate. Its Wyoming's biggest export and it disproportionately owns much of US market. Any government body that overly relies on a single resource should probably have a sovereign wealth fund.
    https://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...0782e22a1.html

Turns out Wyoming has one and its really well managed too. Its not invulnerable but it works.
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2021-01-20 at 04:37 PM.

Why do you keep assuming they'll be instantly isolated? You see isolation, I see 600k people with goods to sell and money to spend. Trade will happen. Wyoming will have to pay to get their goods out of state but that's just a detail to be negotiated over. Most isolated countries are isolated because they choose to be.

I honestly don't think the US will be outright dicks about it. Private concerns within the US will want what Wyoming has and they'll lobby to get it. The only question is whether the average Wyomingite will be better, worse or way worse than before. I'm of the opinion it will only be "worse".

Unless of course they decide to go full "North Korea" on the rest of the US. Which actually wouldn't shock me.
    I'm not sure you're thinking it through. The US government can't really afford to have a seceded state be successful (if it somehow happened - it won't). If a seceded state did well on its own, more could quickly follow suit. Wyoming in particar would make an excellent example to make since they have no realistic way to trade with anyone unless the US allows it.

Well, besides Disodium Carbonate, they don't. But that's not the point. They have stuff. Having stuff means someone else might want your stuff. The only question becomes how much are you going to get for it?

Edit:
    Speaking of Disodium Carbonate. Its Wyoming's biggest export and it disproportionately owns much of US market. Any government body that overly relies on a single resource should probably have a sovereign wealth fund.
    https://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...0782e22a1.html

Turns out Wyoming has one and its really well managed too. Its not invulnerable but it works.
    How exactly do you expect Wyoming to perform trade if the surrounding states blockade them and not allow flights out? In fantasy land, the USA might allow it to happen but in reality, they never would or it'd be the literal end of the USA in everything but name.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    I'm not sure you're thinking it through. The US government can't really afford to have a seceded state be successful (if it somehow happened - it won't). If a seceded state did well on its own, more could quickly follow suit. Wyoming in particar would make an excellent example to make since they have no realistic way to trade with anyone unless the US allows it.
    It’s a hypothetical if it did actually secede. Again, secession is constitutional horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Exactly. Nothing in the world (or Wyoming) would be able to stop the US government from forbidding trade between Wyoming and everyone else because it'd cross US borders. US government could go further with that, and only agree to pay 10% normal market value for anything from Wyoming, just to give them some table scraps, while also charging 200% normal market price for anything exported there. Sounds good, right?

That's just trade, and not something like military threats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't think the US will be outright dicks about it.
    I would make the case it's incredibly naive to think that the US would be anything less than incredibly punitive to any state that leaves the union. There would be strong motivation to make an example of them to prevent more states from following.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I would make the case it's incredibly naive to think that the US would be anything less than incredibly punitive to any state that leaves the union. There would be strong motivation to make an example of them to prevent more states from following.
    The rest of the country would first have to agree with the state to legitimately secede.
    It would domino from there since that state would be isolated to prevent foreign interests from becoming...interested. And the state would be cutoff from federal money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Yeah yeah we don't have running water and electricity out here, and cattle rustlers are still a problem.(one of those statements is true)

We're hardly some grand metropolis but we're far from undeveloped. And our GDP is about 10 billion higher than Iceland. So if you want to talk about "undeveloped"....

I'm not suggesting Wyoming would be successful, only pointing out that most people know jack shit about the state aside from sound bytes like "they get a lot of federal money!".
    Sometimes you don't need to know those fine details to see the overall problem. And sometimes blind loyalty makes you oblivious to the obvious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
    How exactly do you expect Wyoming to perform trade if the surrounding states blockade them and not allow flights out? In fantasy land, the USA might allow it to happen but in reality, they never would or it'd be the literal end of the USA in everything but name.
    dig a huge tunnel to canada??

i wonder how deep in the earth is equivalent to 5 miles off the coast that becomes international water?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

I'm not suggesting Wyoming would be successful, only pointing out that most people know jack shit about the state aside from sound bytes like "they get a lot of federal money!".
    I've lost track of all the times I used to hear how Delaware doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The rest of the country would first have to agree with the state to legitimately secede.
    It would domino from there since that state would be isolated to prevent foreign interests from becoming...interested. And the state would be cutoff from federal money.
    Most people think the US is stronger together. I don’t think a domino effect would likely happen. Wyoming is still small potatoes. California leaving would be a lot different but even though they’re a giver state, they would still probably be worse off. I would be interested to see if any state would be better off.

California might be least impacted. Wyoming would still be functional. Arkansas would probably be fucked.

Cali (8th) and Wyoming (7th) have a higher GDP per capita than the US. Arkansas is 47th.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I've lost track of all the times I used to hear how Delaware doesn't exist.
    You can’t see it because it’s hiding behind the stack of papers supporting all the shell companies.
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2021-01-20 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    i wonder how deep in the earth is equivalent to 5 miles off the coast that becomes international water?
    AFAIK, mineral rights extend to the core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

You can’t see it because it’s hiding behind the stack of papers supporting all the shell companies.
    Pfft...everytime NJ turns to Philly it bumps into our nutsack...

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes you don't need to know those fine details to see the overall problem. And sometimes blind loyalty makes you oblivious to the obvious.
    Are you seriously telling me ignorance of the facts makes you a better judge of things?

Because ya know, it doesn't exactly make for a good look for someone to first claim they're ignorant and then claim the other person who isn't is blindly loyal.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Are you seriously telling me ignorance of the facts makes you a better judge of things?

Because ya know, it doesn't exactly make for a good look for someone to first claim they're ignorant and then claim the other person who isn't is blindly loyal.
    Nope, just saying sometimes you don't need the "micro" level facts when you have a "macro" level bloody knife, video of the murder and the killer standing over the body.

Do I need to know that the person was stabbed 11 times or just stabbed and killed?

Don't need to know much about Wyoming to know the impossible just by looking at high level finances and a fucking map
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

I never thought that "Wyoming would fail as an independent country" would be a controversial opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I never thought that "Wyoming would fail as an independent country" would be a controversial opinion.

Right? Although it appears according to @Ivanstone anything other than Wyoming literally imploding is a success so when you set that ridiculously low of a bar just about anything would be considered a success assuming the entire population didn't commit mass suicide after suceeding.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Right? Although it appears according to @Ivanstone anything other than Wyoming literally imploding is a success so when you set that ridiculously low of a bar just about anything would be considered a success assuming the entire population didn't commit mass suicide after suceeding.
    I didn't set the bar that low. Pick any of the Baltic states for example (each has a GDP per capita half of Mississippi). I think most American states could individually do just as well. I don't even think that's especially controversial. Wyoming has some reasonable advantages compared to a lot of states too. Some of which I didn't even realize until I looked them up today. Honestly I half expected a GOP clown car and was surprised to see that they're doing a lot better than that.

- - - Updated - - -

dig a huge tunnel to canada??

Used to be "Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos" (Whoever's is the soil, it is theirs all the way to Heaven and all the way to Hell.). Air space depends. Below ground is generally all the way to Hell still. Though mineral rights, oil rights, and such are different. Depends on where you live.
    I think NYC is 20 feet below others to the core.

I doubt that Wyoming could afford such a massive tunnel and not sure Canada would allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Used to be "Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos" (Whoever's is the soil, it is theirs all the way to Heaven and all the way to Hell.). Air space depends. Below ground is generally all the way to Hell still. Though mineral rights, oil rights, and such are different. Depends on where you live.
    I think NYC is 20 feet below others to the core.

I doubt that Wyoming could afford such a massive tunnel and not sure Canada would allow it.
    Wouldn't matter anyway...because they couldn't build a tunnel to Canada without crossing beneath other states.