Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What is the best MMO for the more solo player?

i am looking for a new mmo to play that has depth and isnt so reliant on teamplay to have success.

I am not completely against the idea of forming parties / doing content with a guild / group i just need a game where your own dedication / ability actually has some weight, rather than the idea that if you log in you deserve everything that everyone else has gotten with minimal effort.

A game with some depth that is difficult, i was going to give guild wars 2 a try after googling "hardest mmo" however on reading the forums here it seems they are taking a path where your success depends mainly down to the strength of your party rather than your individual skill.

Ideas anyone?

I am a no lifer that will obsessively and unhealthily put my life into a character, im cool with that, what im not cool with is doing that for the same rewards / strength as someone that plays 6 hours a week.

Or being restricted constantly because the general power balance is level and players who are not very good and inexperienced are rocking into content that they are underskilled for, thanks to a huge part in handouts and a low ceiling toon power cap.
    Last edited by SoloMmofriendly; 2021-01-21 at 04:27 AM.

.hack for the ps2

Cause its actually a single player offline mmo

Kind of curious why you'd come to the "WoW General Discussions" forum to ask what games that aren't WoW that you can play.

But to answer your question: FFXIV might scratch that itch if you get over the sheer number fucking catpeople. If you like traditional medieval MMOs then give ESO a spin. And if you enjoy self-loathing and punishment then there's SWTOR for that. If you're feeling exceptionally frisky you can even give FO76 a spin as the game is significantly better in its current state than how it launched.

Quote Originally Posted by SoloMmofriendly View Post
    i am looking for a new mmo to play that has depth and isnt so reliant on teamplay to have success.

I am not completely against the idea of forming parties / doing content with a guild / group i just need a game where your own dedication / ability actually has some weight, rather than the idea that if you log in you deserve everything that everyone else has gotten with minimal effort.

A game with some depth that is difficult, i was going to give guild wars 2 a try after googling "hardest mmo" however on reading the forums here it seems they are taking a path where your success depends mainly down to the strength of your party rather than your individual skill.

Ideas anyone?

I am a no lifer that will obsessively and unhealthily put my life into a character, im cool with that, what im not cool with is doing that for the same rewards / strength as someone that plays 6 hours a week.

Or being restricted constantly because the general power balance is level and players who are not very good and inexperienced are rocking into content that they are underskilled for, thanks to a huge part in handouts and a low ceiling toon power cap.
    I'd say SWTOR. Fantastic single player storyline(s). All are worth playing through.
    Leadsop - Beast Mastery Hunter
    <Godz of War> Sargeras - US

Leadsoprano - Gunnery Trooper
    Leadmello - Kinetic Combat Jedi Shadow
    <Severity Gaming> Prophecy of the Five - US

You’re a no-lifer that doesn’t want casuals to compare to hardcores... tbh, nothing designed for western markets atm is for you. Focus on Asian, likely Korean, action mmos where a skilled player can do some amazing solo feats but power levels are reserved for those who grind.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Kind of curious why you'd come to the "WoW General Discussions" forum to ask what games that aren't WoW that you can play.

But to answer your question: FFXIV might scratch that itch if you get over the sheer number fucking catpeople. If you like traditional medieval MMOs then give ESO a spin. And if you enjoy self-loathing and punishment then there's SWTOR for that. If you're feeling exceptionally frisky you can even give FO76 a spin as the game is significantly better in its current state than how it launched.
    More eyes and answers i suppose, what does catpeople mean?

Whenever i heard about ffiv it was never anything positive other than the community is super friendly and nobody cares about how good they are. im trying to get away from that.

Yes i remember fallout launch it had some horror reviews as players were instantly bored and nothing but increasing level monsters as content.

SWTOR looks like it might be interesting il look that one up for sure.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not an MMO, but Path of Exile.
    It has just enough human interaction in it to where I feel like I'm in a populated game. It has much much more customization than WoW, mind blowing amount of customization, I can actually be proud of my hideouts. A lot of the customization is paywall, but WoW it's self is a paywall so not much difference there.

Before it got cancelled, I was heavy into that Marvel Heroes MMO. Imagine Path of Exile, but it's all Marvel skinned, story and you can see everyone in the zones while they level, everyone can be in the same instance at times. I loved that game, was the first game I was happy to spend money on microtransactions, because they pumped them out and they pumped what people actually ASKED FOR. It was cookie cutter as hell, without much customization, but there were so many heroes to choose it didn't matter and you got buffs for each leveled hero you had in your roster. Damn I miss that game..

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy 11. If you want a game where your effort is rewarded then that's definitely going to be your best bet. Due to the AI party members you can also do a lot of things solo, although you will likely have to group up for the hardest content. It's a very old school game, but it still has a quite active community on some of the bigger servers and still gets regular updates and content.

I recently got into it last year and while I had other games come along that pulled me away, it's definitely a special game that is unlike any MMO you've played before. Just take not that it will likely take 6 months for you to get some of the best gear in the game, although it seems like that's something you're interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    It's not an MMO, but Path of Exile.
    It has just enough human interaction in it to where I feel like I'm in a populated game. It has much much more customization than WoW, mind blowing amount of customization, I can actually be proud of my hideouts. A lot of the customization is paywall, but WoW it's self is a paywall so not much difference there.

Before it got cancelled, I was heavy into that Marvel Heroes MMO. Imagine Path of Exile, but it's all Marvel skinned, story and you can see everyone in the zones while they level, everyone can be in the same instance at times. I loved that game, was the first game I was happy to spend money on microtransactions, because they pumped them out and they pumped what people actually ASKED FOR. It was cookie cutter as hell, without much customization, but there were so many heroes to choose it didn't matter and you got buffs for each leveled hero you had in your roster. Damn I miss that game..
    Recommending PoE when somebody is looking for a MMO is like telling somebody asking for minivan to haul around their 12 kids and ailing grandmother to get a Lamborghini.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    You’re a no-lifer that doesn’t want casuals to compare to hardcores... tbh, nothing designed for western markets atm is for you. Focus on Asian, likely Korean, action mmos where a skilled player can do some amazing solo feats but power levels are reserved for those who grind.
    In a nutshell yes, i want to feel like im being rewarded for the effort im putting in rather than quickly surpassing the general level and being capped by power due to a low ceiling.

Peaked my interest about asian/korean games however im guessing you need to understand the language?

15+ Year Old Account
    When someone is trying to talk trash to you over a forum but they're already on your ignore list, lul.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    When someone is trying to talk trash to you over a forum but they're already on your ignore list, lul.
    Man... I was just about to gift you Reddit Gold, kind stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    I'd say SWTOR. Fantastic single player storyline(s). All are worth playing through.
    For sure. Picked up TOR during the SoO lull and didn't even boot up WoW during the month it took me to hit 50, explore every nook and cranny of every planet, find every quest, and every datacron. Greatly enjoyed turning a corner exploring on a planet and finding mobs WAY too high in level for me because I was intended to come back to this area later, maybe even 20-30 levels later. Imagine finding a level 50 area in Westfall and having a storyline lead you back there when the time is right.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

In a nutshell yes, i want to feel like im being rewarded for the effort im putting in rather than quickly surpassing the general level and being capped by power due to a low ceiling.

Peaked my interest about asian/korean games however im guessing you need to understand the language?
    Blade and Soul, Tera, Archeage, Aion, and Black Desert Online are all Korean MMOs that have been released in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Final Fantasy 11. If you want a game where your effort is rewarded then that's definitely going to be your best bet. Due to the AI party members you can also do a lot of things solo, although you will likely have to group up for the hardest content. It's a very old school game, but it still has a quite active community on some of the bigger servers and still gets regular updates and content.

I recently got into it last year and while I had other games come along that pulled me away, it's definitely a special game that is unlike any MMO you've played before. Just take not that it will likely take 6 months for you to get some of the best gear in the game, although it seems like that's something you're interested in.
    Yes, i dont care how long it takes me to get the gear tbh, 6 months? that actually sounds amazing, i do not want a catchup system, and a game where il be fully up to date with everyone within 2/3 weeks having never played it before.

Sounds perfect il look into it definately.

I suggest solo player games

MMO design is focused around party play

Quote Originally Posted by razorpax View Post
    I suggest solo player games

MMO design is focused around party play
    Its not the party and grouping up i have issues with, its the unrewarding power balance where one size fits all, final fantasy sounds absolutely perfect if it takes you 6months to get the best gear then that sounds right up my street.

being a new player, grinding easy content for 3 weeks and being given the strongest gear as a reward for doing said easy grind isnt what im looking for, that would be unrewarding, i would be bored within 2 months after i look around and realise everyone is the same.

There isn't one because MMO's, by definition, are MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE games literally designed from the ground up around multiplayer gameplay.

If you want a solo experience go play Ori and the Blind Forest.

And for the record, if you want stuff that isn't free in WoW that not just everyone can have feel free to start raiding something harder than LFR and get 2k+ arena rating. Because I guarantee anyone in mythic gear doesn't feel like they got it for free or that everyone else is getting handout mythics. And the gear that drops in 14+ mythic dungeons isn't free either.
    Last edited by Frai85; 2021-01-21 at 05:29 AM.

Its not the party and grouping up i have issues with, its the unrewarding power balance where one size fits all, final fantasy sounds absolutely perfect if it takes you 6months to get the best gear then that sounds right up my street.

being a new player, grinding easy content for 3 weeks and being given the strongest gear as a reward for doing said easy grind isnt what im looking for, that would be unrewarding, i would be bored within 2 months after i look around and realise everyone is the same.
    Ok sounds like you found the new mmo

You reached the pinnacle of solo gearing for WoW where to get the best gear you need to do group content. That’s not a game problem it’s a player choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    .hack for the ps2

Cause its actually a single player offline mmo
    "Offline MMO" is a contradiction in words.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/