Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Am i playing tor ghast wrong?

Im a demon hunter and after 17 floors of twisting corridor i had a build that could constantly do eye beam and i did like 15-20 k dps.

Today a boomkin joined my normal torghast group and on floor 4 he was doing 35 k dps.

So am i doing wrong? Am i possing an op demon hunter anima power build, or is there simply not any?

And which 2 other dps should i be looking for when making a twisting corridor group?

So far it seems that most classes have at least one build or set of abilities that allows them to excel. I am not familiar enough with DK to know what that is. However, boomkin does seem to be quite the hard hitter right now, especially if they get the abilities that buff Convoke.

As for what DPS to bring with you in a group, I would argue for elemental shaman. Several of their abilities center around heroism - it granting more haste, being able to cast more than one per floor, and receiving the heroism buff on a 30 second cool-down each time a totem is dropped - obviously this benefits everyone and not just them. My boomkin has been consistently hitting 250k+ DPS (getting close to 400K at times) on the later floors for single target especially with an ele shammy by my side.

Quote Originally Posted by Aranis View Post
    Im a demon hunter and after 17 floors of twisting corridor i had a build that could constantly do eye beam and i did like 15-20 k dps.

Today a boomkin joined my normal torghast group and on floor 4 he was doing 35 k dps.

So am i doing wrong? Am i possing an op demon hunter anima power build, or is there simply not any?

And which 2 other dps should i be looking for when making a twisting corridor group?
    I had a build on my monk doing 80-160k dps, depending on random procs - it was completely broken - the one that makes bonedust brew do 1001% dmg or something, i dont remember right now. Point is the powers that SEEM the most powerful might not be in practice - and that is probably the key word - practice. Try things out, you dont lose anything but time if you fail.

Elemental shaman was the easiest class I've ever done, I'm a bit behind on him and will probably try corridors this week. I think I cleared layer 8 of the normal layers at like maybe 160 ilvl I think. Now I am near 200 It wasn't even a comparison to my other classes. Earth elemental and flameshock tick speed and I just machine gunned lavabursts and whatever boss it was died within 30 seconds taking minimal damage. All of the best anima powers for me were common too.

My druid gets fuck all luck with powers. I quit trying after I got absolutely zero convoke powers on layer 8. I didn't even bother trying to kill the boss, just left. That wasn't nearly as bad as getting zero demon altering powers on my freaking demonology warlock. I didn't even think that was possible.

Pick the conduit that makes immolation aura deal more damage with each tick

Pick the anima power that resets the duration of immolation aura whenever it deals damage

Cast immolation aura and chain pull from start to end of a floor without letting the buff fall off. Never refresh the duration manually by recasting the skill. That resets all the damage stacks as well.

Pick the talents accordingly to make it easier to keep the buff active.

The better you are at chain pulling, the more dps you’ll do

Quote Originally Posted by Wuusah View Post
    Pick the conduit that makes immolation aura deal more damage with each tick

Pick the anima power that resets the duration of immolation aura whenever it deals damage

Cast immolation aura and chain pull from start to end of a floor without letting the buff fall off. Never refresh the duration manually by recasting the skill. That resets all the damage stacks as well.

Pick the talents accordingly to make it easier to keep the buff active.

The better you are at chain pulling, the more dps you’ll do
    Well theres 1 mistake i made. I kept also recasting the skill.

But i find it hard to chain pull. I feel so squishy

Quote Originally Posted by Aranis View Post
    Well theres 1 mistake i made. I kept also recasting the skill.

But i find it hard to chain pull. I feel so squishy
    Have you tried playing Vengeance? It may be easier due to the increased sustain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

There are two separate paths to victory in Torghast. Some classes get combos that melt the enemies before they can do damage. Other classes become nigh invincible. DH is in the invincible set while druids are in the melt everything set. It's not that one is better than the other (though the melty classes can be faster). A few classes (e.g. monk) get to do both.

So I've played A L O T of Torghast mostly in a group with a tank/healer and 2 other dps. Pretty consistently We have a mage that by the 2nd - 4th floor can 2-3 shot any boss LITERALLY doing Arcane Blasts of 2 Million Damage+ ALL the time.

Our Monk Tank consistently gets the corrosive trait and pulls 75-300K dps on trash packs.

Our Warlock gets his pet in demo spec with 2 Million Health doing ~100k DPS as long as it doesn't die and reset it's stacks.

Meanwhile, the spriest and I are just kinda hanging out going for the ride basically on follow.

I can get up to 30ish - 50ish-k dps but it's peanuts in comparison. I've not once gotten anything anywhere near as broken and overpowered as them.

I've done the infinite blade dance build, infinite eye beam with double veng dh's on each cast, buff the ever living hell out of Immo Aura damage (althougth admittedly I also was refreshing it on c/d so probably self-nerfing myself there, I'll keep that in mind for next time around).

But it doesn't feel great nonetheless, nothing I've managed to get has ever made me feel super over-powered like many many other classes get in Torgast.

All that being said, when I am solo I do breeze right through it (currently 213 Ilvl) so it's not challenging to say the least but I am definitely not absurdly over-powered like my friends classes are.

DK's also do get pretty broken. I do that on my alt and you get a crazy combo that links chains of ice target's health together (1 additional target per stack, i've gotten it up to 5 targets per cast) and splits 100% of the damage (at 2 stacks of the power) to all of them and as Unholy we do an insane amount of AOE anyways. Doing this everything literally melts in seconds and I just run through things popping this and doing a couple of abilities and let the reflected damage melt everything, It's pretty awesome, but to the best of my knowledge DH's don't have a single thing even remotely close to this, big sad.

Oke so vengeance seems like the way to go then ������

MM hunter with the 85+ anima powers by the end will also be invincible. Bursting 200k dps for about 10 seconds, with lust, wild spirits, hunters mark, binding (pinions), trueshot, and all the passives. Untargetable by spells and ranged attacks. Trap that slows enemy movement speed by 99%, meaning they’re just stuck there indefinitely. And a 30 second duration aspect of turtle that you can still nuke from, if you somehow mess something up.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei- View Post
    MM hunter with the 85+ anima powers by the end will also be invincible. Bursting 200k dps for about 10 seconds, with lust, wild spirits, hunters mark, binding (pinions), trueshot, and all the passives. Untargetable by spells and ranged attacks. Trap that slows enemy movement speed by 99%, meaning they’re just stuck there indefinitely.
    Sounds sick xD

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    My druid gets fuck all luck with powers. I quit trying after I got absolutely zero convoke powers on layer 8. I didn't even bother trying to kill the boss, just left. That wasn't nearly as bad as getting zero demon altering powers on my freaking demonology warlock. I didn't even think that was possible.
    I am not sure which spec you are talking about, but balance druid has several avenues outside of convoke that make Torghast trivial. Going all the entangling roots talents can be super powerful, there are times when I can just mass entaglement, throw up dots, and watch everything tick down and die. Also, there are common talents like increased starsurge damage, or moonfire does more damage on single targets, or extra stat in certain forms (mastery in moonkin which is the best stat) - you get enough of these and you can kill any boss very easily. Outside of convoke, one of my favorite builds is the shapeshift build, combine the talent that casts a spell when you shapeshift - I usually just hop back and forth between bear and moonkin casting frenzied regen and starfall over and over while applying dots - with the talent that increases damage but slowly reduces movement speed, since you are shapeshifting the movement speed doesn't matter. Honestly, if you are having trouble killing bosses as a moonkin in Torghast you are probably doing something wrong.

On top of all that, throw in the talents that simply give soul remnants, increases to haste, mastery, or crit, or let your dots apply damage faster. Another fun one drops moons on moonfire ticks.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    So can stop and take a break every 3 floors is my understanding....does that mean your anima powers are there when you get back? I rarely get more than 2 hours to play at one time, so no way to do all 18 floors in one go.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    So can stop and take a break every 3 floors is my understanding....does that mean your anima powers are there when you get back? I rarely get more than 2 hours to play at one time, so no way to do all 18 floors in one go.
    You can AFK there, no get out of Torghast and back in.

2 hours are more than enough for 18 floors. If you somehow take 2h per layer (=18 floors) it's def a "not understanding the core basics of Torghast" thing. A basic full clear run takes 1h30m.

It's definitely luck of the draw for me. Some runs I get great powers, others... no so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Occar View Post
    There are two separate paths to victory in Torghast. Some classes get combos that melt the enemies before they can do damage. Other classes become nigh invincible. DH is in the invincible set while druids are in the melt everything set. It's not that one is better than the other (though the melty classes can be faster). A few classes (e.g. monk) get to do both.
    So far when I didn't get the invincible set of skills (immunity during eye beam and 4x 20% chance to not have cd on eye beam) I was not able to finish twisting due to the sheer damage output on the final 2-3 floors.

Also had the spectacular luck of not finding any hp increasing power and was just getting 1 shot by bosses.

From what ridiculeseness I read here, havoc got the shortest stick .. gonna try vengeance too.

10+ Year Old Account
    No you're not playing it wrong, but you are spelling it wrong

its random and it's soooo class based its not funny.
    I did one yesterday with a druid tank in my guild and with the powers he gets he does like 6 million damage heh
    It's was funny but stupid to.
    I as a bm hunter was barely able to eek out 1-2m if i was using every single cooldown and lucky crit :P

Quote Originally Posted by Occar View Post
    Mage gets both depending on power combos! ^_^ I had a 200k Mage shield on, effectivally, a 15sec CD today.