Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    I have to say I am surprised at how badly you are taking being tricked into providing evidence to substantiate your claim.
    This weird reimagining of the conversation in your favour is strange. Needing to resort to removing all context and painting other people as less knowledgable while bolstering your own authority over the game and any discussion around it only exposes your previous claim regarding ego was nothing but projection.
    It's cute that you didn't even realised that while you were trying to play me you got played. Gave you just enough rope and you did the rest, all I had to do was tie the knot by "coincidently" finding a video that exposed your lies while exposing again your true deceitful colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Years later the user is still in this thread like all that matters is the downfall of RSI and failure of SC. Crazy priorities (@1001 but I ignored his profile + I hide ignored posts). Crazy, so so, cray!
    Getting more and more desperate aren't they, don't even try to hide their shadiness anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I just had an interesting thought. As a non-backer who has tried the game during one or two free fly events, what did these developers expect to happen when they put out a free event for anyone to try the "mmo", but couldn't play it because of the exceedingly prohibitive server limit? In my mind, isn't it counterproductive to open your doors to people with a subpar experience? Potentially thousands of people checking out the game, an MMO, that cannot handle massive groups of players. I just can't understand the rationale here.
    I get the idea. What I didn't get was them allowing a free beta for a game in a genre that is built on the foundation of massive and multiplayer, without (arguably) either of those things. It's strange to me. If it was SQ42 and not SC I wouldn't say anything, but they're showing people what seems to be quite possibly the worst part(s) of this supposed MMO experience.
    Because Star Citizen is not being developed or market in a traditional way or neither it's aiming to be a traditional mmo but more of a sandbox universe.

It's a crowdfunded game that always had early builds available to public and it's publicly known to be unfinished and buggy, true alpha stage.

The fact that currently it's servers can only hold 50 players doesn't mean anyone testing the free fly events is left out from playing since new servers are spawned to accommodate new players. The surge of a lot of new fresh players also helps them test network infrastructures, player behaviour and learn from that.

As a marketing move it's pretty bad and very good at the same time since the game has no tutorial and releases new players in the wild where eventually the majority of the ones who will "survive" the initial contact and end up buying into the alpha are those who are more "backer" material since they will be more suited for alpha testing due to their resilience in learning on how to play and overcome technical difficulties of a game in active development without loosing their mind.

Still main reason new players keep joining is the reason why every product thrives, the positives outweigh the negatives.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2021-01-15 at 10:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Because Star Citizen is not being developed or market in a traditional way or neither it's aiming to be a traditional mmo but more of a sandbox universe.

It's a crowdfunded game that always had early builds available to public and it's publicly known to be unfinished and buggy, true alpha stage.

The fact that currently it's servers can only hold 50 players doesn't mean anyone testing the free fly events is left out from playing since new servers are spawned to accommodate new players. The surge of a lot of new fresh players also helps them test network infrastructures, player behaviour and learn from that.

As a marketing move it's pretty bad and very good at the same time since the game has no tutorial and releases new players in the wild where eventually the majority of the ones who will "survive" the initial contact and end up buying into the alpha are those who are more "backer" material since they will be more suited for alpha testing due to their resilience in learning on how to play and overcome technical difficulties of a game in active development without loosing their mind.

Still main reason new players keep joining is the reason why every product thrives, the positives outweigh the negatives.
    Just going to respond to the bolded part and say that I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. Many traditional mmos were sandboxes, and the ones coming down the pipeline are seemingly returning to that style. Either way, I wouldn't really have said anything regarding the weird 50 player cap if everything I've seen about the game didn't scream "MMO!" to me. It's a very strange situation imo.

I get the idea. What I didn't get was them allowing a free beta for a game in a genre that is built on the foundation of massive and multiplayer, without (arguably) either of those things. It's strange to me. If it was SQ42 and not SC I wouldn't say anything, but they're showing people what seems to be quite possibly the worst part(s) of this supposed MMO experience.
    The free fly events work as stress tests for their most recent patches and features. They also give everyone many ships, often big ones to fly around with for free... this works as a general stress test when hundreds of ships are crashed... and boy are they being crashed.

Last time i logged on during free fly i saw several Reclaimers (the heaviest ship in the game right now) dotting the landscape near one of the main ports... simply because people just didnt know how to lift that thing out of atmosphere.

This kind of stress testing cant be done outside free fly events because most of the backers know how to fly, or well they dont fly ships that serve no purpose yet.

So it gives CiG a way to see how their servers handle large scale destruction to optimize it better. Obviously the servers crash alot more during those events... but there are players who actively try to crash the server, mostly not backers since those probably dont want to lose their purchases by getting banned. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Check back 200 pages, the same fucking people on nearly the same argument. Good times.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

It's clearly a cash cow and idiots have spent money on it and are desperately trying to defend their spending.

IDC what you spend your money on and I'm not an idiot.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    It's clearly a cash cow and idiots have spent money on it and are desperately trying to defend their spending.

It's pretty impressive though that a guy managed to find a way to sell people their own dreams. He's had a decade of an awesome salary, personal chefs etc.

This year we'll be 10 years in and still don't have the SP game.

Only the biggest fanatics will pretend that this is okay or was always the marketed plan. Anyone can see that this project is one of the biggest failures ever in everything except funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Check back 200 pages, the same fucking people on nearly the same argument. Good times.
    200 pages and many years. It's hard to know which of this or the next GRRM book will come out. If any of them do.

It's cute that you didn't even realised that while you were trying to play me you got played. Gave you just enough rope and you did the rest, all I had to do was tie the knot by "coincidently" finding a video that exposed your lies while exposing again your true deceitful colours.
    Haha, I cannot believe you are resorting to the "you didn't play me, I played you" defense. That is so embarrassing.

Anyway, there's this old lady who lives a few doors down from me, she's got one of those small yappy dogs, you know the ones I mean? Always yapping away like it's got something to prove to anything that walks by. You remind me of that dog, yap yap yap yap yap...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post

There's nothing idiotic about supporting a genre that the gaming industry as a whole, effectively abandoned in favour of WW2 shooters and garbage battle royale and arena shooters. Hindsight is what it is though, it was a cool idea at the time because gaming was looking to go through a renaissance of sorts back around 2014 and space sims seemed to be the genre that studios were interested in exploring. Of course, I think for the people who really followed Chris Roberts history as a developer, they ignored that history in hopes that they'd get the game that he never truly could make working for big publishers. Unfortunately for him and his army of loyalists, all the freedom and he doesn't have a ton to show for it several years later. Had he just stuck with making Squadron 42 as a single player game, created all the assets and mechanics for the game first, at least they'd have something more tangible, rather than trying to drive the MMO aspect of the game while the in-game assets aren't even 100% completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    There's nothing idiotic about supporting a genre that the gaming industry as a whole, effectively abandoned in favour of WW2 shooters and garbage battle royale and arena shooters. Hindsight is what it is though, it was a cool idea at the time because gaming was looking to go through a renaissance of sorts back around 2014 and space sims seemed to be the genre that studios were interested in exploring. Of course, I think for the people who really followed Chris Roberts history as a developer, they ignored that history in hopes that they'd get the game that he never truly could make working for big publishers. Unfortunately for him and his army of loyalists, all the freedom and he doesn't have a ton to show for it several years later. Had he just stuck with making Squadron 42 as a single player game, created all the assets and mechanics for the game first, at least they'd have something more tangible, rather than trying to drive the MMO aspect of the game while the in-game assets aren't even 100% completed.
    Yes, at the time of the kickstarter spending money on this made complete sense.
    Now... not so much.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I can't stop laughing at this. After 12 years, they have nothing but a meager tech demo, it would take several hundred millions and a few years more to salvage this train wreck. The studio won't survive this long, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I can't stop laughing at this. After 12 years, they have nothing but a meager tech demo, it would take several hundred millions and a few years more to salvage this train wreck. The studio won't survive this long, that's for sure.
    Think that's what happens if you let a perfectionist lead the project.
    Do you hear the voices too?

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ok so on Dec. 23rd 2020 CIG released the new Roadmap/details of it and an FAQ for it ( here are the links https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...mber-23rd-2020 and https://robertsspaceindustries.com/s...dmap-quick-faq ). Well here we are 1 month later and 9 days left in Jan. 2021, who wants to place bets they miss targets again especially this rather important 1 that the MMO part of the game hinges on,

"Where is iCache/Server Meshing?
    As mentioned in the Roadmap Roundup, what is still missing on the Roadmap is our Core Tech Group, which is comprised of 9 teams working on iCache and Server Meshing, as well as AI, Network, Graphics, and Engine. We plan to add our Core Tech Group to the Progress Tracker in January."

Who is brave enough to bet we get any meaningful info like they say in the next 9 days?

Haha, I cannot believe you are resorting to the "you didn't play me, I played you" defense. That is so embarrassing.

Anyway, there's this old lady who lives a few doors down from me, she's got one of those small yappy dogs, you know the ones I mean? Always yapping away like it's got something to prove to anything that walks by. You remind me of that dog, yap yap yap yap yap...
    Pointing out that you felt the need to lie to save face about your ignorance is not defending anything. And the only embarrassment was your ego pushing you to resort to lying, exposing your true deceitful nature for such an irrelevant and meaningless post. Congratulations, you played yourself.

Pointing out that you felt the need to lie to save face about your ignorance is not defending anything. And the only embarrassment was your ego pushing you to resort to lying, exposing your true deceitful nature for such an irrelevant and meaningless post. Congratulations, you played yourself.
    As mostly a spectator, I think there are literally no people in this thread, that think anyone but you is getting played. Even the people that think this product will eventually be delivered, probably don't think anyone but you is getting played. You have elevated the "No you" argument to the absolute pinnacle of art, but nothing you have said actually amounts to more than "No you!". If anything, you keep playing yourself in every response to anyone else. If your online persona is even remotely like your real life one, you have to be the ultimate narcissist.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    As mostly a spectator, I think there are literally no people in this thread, that think anyone but you is getting played. Even the people that think this product will eventually be delivered, probably don't think anyone but you is getting played. You have elevated the "No you" argument to the absolute pinnacle of art, but nothing you have said actually amounts to more than "No you!". If anything, you keep playing yourself in every response to anyone else. If your online persona is even remotely like your real life one, you have to be the ultimate narcissist.
    When you're ignorant it's easy to side with the ignorants. Helps you relate with something and pass the time but doesn't do much to contribute to the actual game thread. The fact that you feel the need to post something so irrelevant and call on narcissist while being exactly that just showcases how deluded and out of touch you are, probably just bored.

When you're ignorant it's easy to side with the ignorants. Helps you relate with something and pass the time but doesn't do much to contribute to the actual game thread. The fact that you feel the need to post something so irrelevant and call on narcissist while being exactly that just showcases how deluded and out of touch you are, probably just bored.
    Oh I'm definitely less bored when reading this thread, but I think it would help the overall discussion if you didn't call them liars, but disproved their position with, you know, facts. "You're lying" is a very weak argument. If I were you I would grab a mirror and just relax a bit. If you think that the current product is representative of ..what is it..9 years? of development and you feel that the developers arguments are solid reasoning, then that's great. I think the game is a total hoax, but I'm not saying that it is, I'm saying I think it is. You won't convince anyone about anything if you just keep calling them liars.

Oh I'm definitely less bored when reading this thread, but I think it would help the overall discussion if you didn't call them liars, but disproved their position with, you know, facts. "You're lying" is a very weak argument. If I were you I would grab a mirror and just relax a bit. If you think that the current product is representative of ..what is it..9 years? of development and you feel that the developers arguments are solid reasoning, then that's great. I think the game is a total hoax, but I'm not saying that it is, I'm saying I think it is. You won't convince anyone about anything if you just keep calling them liars.
    Well if you were paying attention I did just that in this post and the poster himself admitted lying in his post:
    Such devasting lies!
    I must admit I said that in the hope of prompting you into providing evidence to substantiate your own claim. A rather basic requirement for general discourse.
    And, again, pointing out lies or misconceptions about a subject is not trying to convince or defending anything. It's just stating simple facts. Instead of skimming through the thread and jumping into attacks out of boredom maybe try to read about the issue at hand first.

Well if you were paying attention I did just that in this post and the poster himself admitted lying in his post:

And, again, pointing out lies or misconceptions about a subject is not trying to convince or defending anything. It's just stating simple facts. Instead of skimming through the thread and jumping into attacks out of boredom maybe try to read about the issue at hand first.
    A statement of fact, is something along the lines of 2 + 2 = 4.

Claiming someone is lying, suggests intent. In other words, someone is willingly manipulating facts to make something appear to be what it is not. That needs more than just a statement on your part. You need to prove that they are lying. Now, the other party could be saying something that is incorrect, but that doesn't substantiate a claim that they are aware of that.

And the quote you posted is in no way the same as someone lying ............
    Last edited by Vespian; 2021-01-24 at 06:26 PM.

A statement of fact, is something along the lines of 2 + 2 = 4.

Claiming someone is lying, suggests intent. In other words, someone is willingly manipulating facts to make something appear to be what it is not. That needs more than just a statement on your part. You need to prove that they are lying. Now, the other party could be saying something that is incorrect, but that doesn't substantiate a claim that they are aware of that.

And the quote you posted is in no way the same as someone lying ............
    Well there was intent and there was admission of lying but only after being exposed to be wrong.
    This is the lie:

I checked with a couple of streamers and they confirmed it's 40 people per server. So no wonder you are unwilling to post any proof.
    After I posted proof and exposed it's lie:

I must admit I said that in the hope of prompting you into providing evidence to substantiate your own claim.
    Something you would know if you actually read the whole posting instead of just skimming through the thread.