Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It's pretty obvious you're confusing the 1776 Project with the 1619 Project while still attempting to come off as informed, so... Lol.

It's also untrue since the 1619 Project actually does point out that white supremacy is an endemic cultural feature of western civilization since the colonial period. "The entire world's barbarity" is touched upon.

"Africa was the greatest slave empire" -- Which one? Cause you're already showing you have absolutely no knowledge of African history if you're treating it as a contiguous unit or comparing chattel slavery with previous forms of the institution. Try again.

The British do not get credit for partially fixing a system they helped to create and ended up substituting with other forms of exploitation, no.
    Still feeding that troll. He has no intentions to actually learn. Should just ignore him. Nothing good will come from this other than us laughing at him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Spiders live there too. Outdoors is where nature and shit happens.
    I was more pointing to things like... we have a pretty good sanitation system... but... you do you...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    Its self deprecating because you only focus on your own barbarity rather then the entire world. A clear example is americans not really understanding that Africa was and still is the greatest slave empire in the world. I've seen Americans not really understand that while not the heroes of that story ( that title belongs to the british) they are not the monsters they think themselves.
    I do so love when people pull the "Blacks should be grateful their ancestors were lucky enough to be slaves in America" card.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    In a move that surprised nobody, the GOP already object to Biden's COVID bill that includes $15/hr minimum wage.

I...have to agree. The minimum wage issue should have its own debate and stand on its own.
    Disagree.

If you split them, the GOP will fight against the relief bills expanded unemployment as "people will make more money in unemployment than actually working" while simultaneously fighting against the 15/hr as "killing small businesses".

By including both together, the fight against expanded unemployment is completely neutered, and any hit to businesses for 15/hr can be patched up with PPP loans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a move that surprised nobody, the GOP already object to Biden's COVID bill that includes $15/hr minimum wage.

I...have to agree. The minimum wage issue should have its own debate and stand on its own.
    No, it shouldn’t, especially considering most essential workers are minimum wage earners.

I swear to fucking god this is legitimately the sort of spineless second guessing shit which will cost you in 2022. People did not put the Democrats into power so we could let McConnell continue to dictate the agenda - consider this a warning from the Gillard ministry and grow a pair.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-01-21 at 08:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The GOP is only objecting because that's their go to move.

They bundle Y into a Bill about X and when the Democrats go against it because of Y...They say "Hey look, the Democrats don't care about X"

- - - Updated - - -

Other Big News about the Biden Administration:

No, it shouldn’t, especially considering most essential workers are minimum wage earners.

I swear to fucking god this is legitimately the sort of spineless second guessing shit which will cost you in 2022. People did not put the Democrats into power so we could let McConnell continue to dictate the agenda - consider this a warning from the Gillard ministry and grow a pair.
    it's like the last 8 months has taught people nothing.

Thing is, this isn't a general stimulus bill. This is a COVID relief bill. The only people objecting to the minimum wage are the standard fare in Congress. However, it is more important to get direct aid out to people first then push for this. When they do their general stimulus bill, go all in on the minimum wage.

As I stated before, yes, it affects mainly essential workers as they are most of the minimum wage earners. However, they also work in industries that have been forced to either shut down or run at a reduced capacity. Most of those same industries are smaller businesses like restaurants and the service industry(McDonald's, unless it is a corporate store, is a franchise and is a small business due to this as they do not get financial help from the corporate office.) Unless you are going to give those same industries massive forgivable loans to offset the increased cost when their revenue isn't allowed to go up due to said restrictions, a minimum wage increase is moot.

This reminds me of someone going to a buffet and grabbing as much as they can as quickly as they can not realizing that it will all still be there.

Remember folks, it is only day 2 of the administration. You have 2 years to get this passed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I think we need to stop calling Trump and his administration incompetent.

They were malicious and just didn't give a shit. Trump playing golf every weekend, and Jared pushing an agenda to let "blue states" suffer under the effects of COVID with little federal assistance is proof enough of that.
    I think we can call a group of assholes that accidently organized a press conference in a landscaping company "incompetent."
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    it's like the last 8 months has taught people nothing.
    Or the past 8 years.

It's not just a function of necessary legislation; the task Democrats have is to show people that small d democracy is still a functional form of government that can deliver actionable change. Because otherwise they start listening to grifters who promise the world and "only I can fix it".

The long term stakes haven't changed. So just tell the GOP to jump off a bridge and pass an omnibus stimulus at the very least, Christ and Allah.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I think we need to stop calling Trump and his administration incompetent.

They were malicious and just didn't give a shit. Trump playing golf every weekend, and Jared pushing an agenda to let "blue states" suffer under the effects of COVID with little federal assistance is proof enough of that.
    I get where you are going with this...but let me give you an alternative theory:

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    This reminds me of someone going to a buffet and grabbing as much as they can as quickly as they can not realizing that it will all still be there.

Remember folks, it is only day 2 of the administration. You have 2 years to get this passed.
    I think it's going to be more like fighting tooth and nail for your serving of green beans, going back to the table to eat, and coming back to fight for your mashed potatoes when you could have just grabbed them the first time.

Republicans aren't going to comply with a single Democratic policy, it doesn't matter what's in it or not in it. Fuck 'em with a rusty fork and start passing shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Y'all are gonna get destroyed in the midterms and you will deserve it.

Or the past 8 years.

It's not just a function of necessary legislation; the task Democrats have is to show people that small d democracy is still a functional form of government that can deliver actionable change. Because otherwise they start listening to grifters who promise the world and "only I can fix it".

The long term stakes haven't changed. So just tell the GOP to jump off a bridge and pass an omnibus stimulus at the very least, Christ and Allah.
    I'm not talking specifically about the pandemic, i'm talking the real economic impact of people who rely on 60 hour a week, working minimum wage, and the risk of that 60 hour dissappearing, and if someone doesn't see the evidence now, the large swaths of people suffering food banks swamped, direct stimulus checks, holy hell the list goes on, that the current minimum wage is for shits, they never will imo, so debate isn't an actual option.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I get where you are going with this...but let me give you an alternative theory:

Speaking of that movie, chel was one of my cartoon childhood crushes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    The GOP is only objecting because that's their go to move.

They bundle Y into a Bill about X and when the Democrats go against it because of Y...They say "Hey look, the Democrats don't care about X"

- - - Updated - - -

Other Big News about the Biden Administration:

Hot take: Coke zero is better (i dunno if you have that)
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

People its already over. President Biden has just had Articles of Impeachment filed against him.. Fun while it lasted.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post

Hot take: Coke zero is better (i dunno if you have that)
    Hotter take: Classic is better than both.

10+ Year Old Account

One of unsung strategies of the Biden campaign. Was ignoring Twitter and Very Online people.

So seeing the Admin lead with the $15 included with Covid gives me hope. That they will continue to ignore online hotcakes.

Seeing Biden rip off 15 EOs on day and call Austerity/Inflation scolds on their malarkey also gives me hope. It's very different than Obama's opening posture in the case of the 2008 crisis. Maybe lessons were learned.

Even Manchin and Sinema seem to be on board, they're most likely the biggest hurdles within the Dem caucus.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Do we have what they're filed for? I can't and don't really want to listen to the crazy lady if she mentions them in her video...

Tucker Carlson is "worried" about Biden's "war on white supremacists".

Good. White supremacists should be sweating like a nun in a cucumber patch.