Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Car thief returns boy to his mother, threatens to call police on her

https://www.wtoc.com/2021/01/18/thie...-scold-mother/

An Oregon mother is grateful to have her 4-year-old son back after a thief stole her car with the child inside but came back to return the boy and scold his mother.

Police responded to Basics Meat Market around 9 a.m. Saturday in Beaverton, Oregon. Crystal Leary told them she had gone into the store to quickly grab a couple of items and left her 4-year-old son in the car with the engine running.

While she was inside, a man got into the car and drove off with the boy inside.

Leary says the suspect then drove back to the store and yelled at her, threatening to call the police because she left her son in the car. He ordered her to get the boy out of the car then drove off again.

The boy was not harmed during the ordeal.

“As moms, we get really busy, and we think we’re just running in for a second. This is just a perfect example of letting our guards down and how terribly it could have ended,” Leary said. “So, I’m just thankful that he’s OK. It was so stupid, and I’ll never do that again. But it’s that split second decision that could just change everything.”

Police are looking for the suspect and vehicle. The suspect is described as a white man in his 20s or 30s with dark brown, braided hair. The car is a 2013 silver Honda Pilot with Oregon plates 357GLV.

Is it bad that I actually sympathize with the car thief here? As fucked up as stealing a car is, it's even more fucked up to leave a 4-year-old in an unlocked, running car while you go shopping.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a bit fucked up.

The thief returned back to the store to yell at the mother to pick up her son out of the car? And nobody did anything about it while they were both in the store?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

I have to agree. It is more fucked up to leave a child in a running car than to kipnap a child in a car.

The thief took good care of the child, but the mother didn't !
    What kind mother is this ?

This thief should get a reward !

Thief is an occupation. They stimulate the economy.
    Now this mother is forced to rent/buy a car. It helps GDP.

The only mistake this thief made is that he should steal a better car.
    2013 is a 8-year old car.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2021-01-20 at 01:34 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The thief was probably more concerned that his auto-theft was about to turn into a kidnapping, which is a way worse felony than a simple auto-theft.

Did something wrong...turned around and did something right...
    Doesn't quite balance things out, but I'd hate to be the judge here.
    I'd probably be giving the hairy eyeball to the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    The only mistake this thief made is that he should steal a better car.
    2013 is a 8-year old car.
    Eh, That's a hot take; the thing is still worth upwards of $20,000.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why people leave their engine running like that...its bad for the car, environment, and too big of an opportunity for thieves. Takes 2 secs to turn off your car. Also people who leave (purposely) their keys in the ignition.

IDK what kind of store the mother went into or how long she was there but LOCKING the car and leaving your to run into something like a gas station isn't a problem. 1 min is, 1 min out. You don't leave the car unlocked and running though...ffs.

The thief doesn't get any brownie points. He stole someone's car. Didn't care how it might have impacted the person he stole it from. Returning the kid only shows that he isn't a total psychopath - still a thief acting selfishly. He had no grounds to judge or lecture the mother and still stole the car now knowing he left a mother AND a child stranded. He was only concerned with not getting an extra charge, not the life of the child. Now I am not liking him even more.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Eh, That's a hot take; the thing is still worth upwards of $20,000.
    The car is actually worth less then 10k used. Probably why she didn't think anyone would want to steal it to begin with. My dad actually did something similar. He left us in the car to try to deter a thief from taking it since he figured that stealing a car with a child in it would be a huge no no.

That mother needs to seriously be questioned. You don't leave a child, unattended in a car. Let alone one with the engine running.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

the thief was more concerned for the safety and welfare of the child than the own mother,
    handed child to mother, and drove off,
    probably deserved to have her car nicked

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    The car is actually worth less then 10k used. Probably why she didn't think anyone would want to steal it to begin with. My dad actually did something similar. He left us in the car to try to deter a thief from taking it since he figured that stealing a car with a child in it would be a huge no no.

That mother needs to seriously be questioned. You don't leave a child, unattended in a car. Let alone one with the engine running.
    Well...your dad did.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamevizier View Post
    The thief was probably more concerned that his auto-theft was about to turn into a kidnapping, which is a way worse felony than a simple auto-theft.
    or he was high af

still weird

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevizier View Post
    He could have dropped off the child a number of places to avoid that charge but he came back so he was far more considerate than the mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    He could have dropped off the child a number of places to avoid that charge but he came back so he was far more considerate than the mother.
    Alternatively, he could have just not stolen the car. That would have been the most considerate thing.

I mean, I'm not excusing the mother here...but why are we treating the thief like he's fucking Robin Hood?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    That's a bit fucked up.

The thief returned back to the store to yell at the mother to pick up her son out of the car? And nobody did anything about it while they were both in the store?
    Should have arrested her on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Alternatively, he could have just not stolen the car. That would have been the most considerate thing.

I mean, I'm not excusing the mother here...but why are we treating the thief like he's fucking Robin Hood?
    Because it's rare for people to do the right things while they are doing bad.

Because it's rare for people to do the right things while they are doing bad.
    Because that's an oxymoron.

He didn't do "the right thing".

He stole a car and then got pissed about there being a kid in the car that he stole.

Sure, it's better than just throwing the kid out into traffic...but he's no hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Because that's an oxymoron.

He didn't do "the right thing".

He stole a car and then got pissed about there being a kid in the car that he stole.

Sure, it's better than just throwing the kid out into traffic...but he's no hero.
    No one is calling him a hero but he didn't have to go back and give the kid back to his mother. He could have just like you said dropped him off to the side of the road or do a number of things but he didn't. He did a right thing in the middle of doing something bad humans are oxymorons if you hadn't noticed.

Honor Among Thieves. Good man. Still bad man. But overall good. Cherishes life over property. The most important attribute.

10+ Year Old Account
    He still stole the car after he returned the kid, so he really was just looking out for himself.

All he cared if his defense if he got caught with the car. "Your honor, my client can't be so bad if he returned the kid and lectured the mom."
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-01-22 at 01:36 AM.