Thread: I miss dkp.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    That system sucked big time. People who did not have any competition in their class could get everything for next to nothing and then outbid everyone on important stuff like tier tokens. No, thanks, good riddance.
    solved that with a fixed cost so noone could get anything for free

DKP was shit. GDKP (gold DKP) on the other hand was awesome. Pure market capitalism, loot goes to the highest bidder, money goes into a pot that is distributed evenly to all raid members that stuck it out to the end of the night.

You might get outbid on that item you badly want, sometimes several weeks in a row. Sucks to suck but that's bidding. Get richer, problem solved.

The best part of this system was that, even if you had a shitty night and didn't get any loot, if you spent zero gold chances were good you walked away with 10-20k gold, which made you more competitive in future bids.

This meant it was exciting when you saw a coveted prize item drop. Heroic Deathbringer's Will in ICC always went for insane amounts of gold, and it was exciting because you knew the pot was going to get 100k fatter. Raiding was a legitimate way of making gold with GDKP.

I bet Blizzard could implement this as a type of LFR. Straight up pay-to-win bidding contest-based loot system. The catch is that the spent gold goes into a pot and is distributed to everyone else at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by SoloMmofriendly View Post
    again a different dkp system that i was talking about, the system that worked for me as a reward system rather than a competitive one was where items had a set dkp cost depending on slot

weapon 1300 dkp
    tier 900dkp
    all the rest 675dkp etc

When you would bid you would bid

1) need (100% cost)
    2) minor upgrade/alt (75% cost)
    3) pass.

Something like this anyway. with dkp points EARNT based on attendance and static bonuses for the whole raid given on boss kills. and static bonuses for all in attendance given for each passing hour.
    I don't know if you've ever actually been a part of a guild where a system like this was used...

3 ret pallys all want a tier piece. Each can afford it in your system. I assume your system (Like everybody in the thread is saying) would move to a bid-off. They end up paying 2x if not more for that piece. This continues on for awhile, and multiple tier pieces. Somehow you only have 1 player on the War/Hunt/Shaman tier slot, and it happens to be a warrior. He's getting all of those for minimum value, but also claiming minor upgrade (so it's 25% off on your system for some reason.) 675 per tier piece, where the pallies have been paying 1800~ due to competition. The warrior reaches 5/5 tier pieces at the lofty cost of 3375 DKP. Meanwhile the pally's have to pay MORE for 2 set. Set bonuses were a big deal, so to them it's worth it obviously. But then a really sweet 2H sword drops. These pallies (along with the other classes on that tier) have been bleeding each other, and while they can afford the 1300 DKP (Barely) the warrior, now fully geared, and hoarding bonus DKP can outbid them all with ease.

This is (one of) the problem(s) with DKP. There are tons of other problems like players gaming the system to an extreme degree. People mistrusting whoever's keeping track of it, and starting their own personal count (and then the counts not matching due to a mistake somewhere). Difficulties recruiting new players due to massive DKP deficits.

I'm saying this all as a player DKP massively benefits. I've missed like 1 raid day in the past 7~ years due to being in the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Better View Post
    I don't know if you've ever actually been a part of a guild where a system like this was used...

3 ret pallys all want a tier piece. Each can afford it in your system. I assume your system (Like everybody in the thread is saying) would move to a bid-off. They end up paying 2x if not more for that piece. This continues on for awhile, and multiple tier pieces. Somehow you only have 1 player on the War/Hunt/Shaman tier slot, and it happens to be a warrior. He's getting all of those for minimum value, but also claiming minor upgrade (so it's 25% off on your system for some reason.) 675 per tier piece, where the pallies have been paying 1800~ due to competition. The warrior reaches 5/5 tier pieces at the lofty cost of 3375 DKP. Meanwhile the pally's have to pay MORE for 2 set. Set bonuses were a big deal, so to them it's worth it obviously. But then a really sweet 2H sword drops. These pallies (along with the other classes on that tier) have been bleeding each other, and while they can afford the 1300 DKP (Barely) the warrior, now fully geared, and hoarding bonus DKP can outbid them all with ease.

This is (one of) the problem(s) with DKP. There are tons of other problems like players gaming the system to an extreme degree. People mistrusting whoever's keeping track of it, and starting their own personal count (and then the counts not matching due to a mistake somewhere). Difficulties recruiting new players due to massive DKP deficits.

I'm saying this all as a player DKP massively benefits. I've missed like 1 raid day in the past 7~ years due to being in the hospital.
    You will notice that although OP spent the first 4 pages saying no one knew how DKP worked and that his system was perfect, he then abruptly CHANGED from saying he liked DKP, over to something entirely different. I genuinely dont believe OP has ever been involved with any form of DKP or similar systems, and is just throwing shade at Personal loot because it is the cool thing to do right now.

Some people are frustrated at the lower rate of gearing, and are creating fantastic and entirely fabricated scenarios when everyone held hands and sung kumbaya each time loot dropped and it was shared perfectly among those who deserved it most, while those who didnt deserve it congratulated everyone and said "yeah, i didnt play as much as you, you deserve it! granted, you came last on dps, fucked up all the mechanics, caused 9 of our 10 wipes, and we only killed it because you died immediately on the 10th attempt, but good for you!"

I assume your system (Like everybody in the thread is saying) would move to a bid-off.
    Nope, in the system that worked there was no competition for bid price which is what made it so amazing, it was even cost for all meaning nobody unfairly got ahead, you would be rewarded for the points you earnt because every point was earnt in an equal way to everyone else, slot costs were the same.

Every 2nd week / monthly whichever you chose for balance you could have a points squish to bring new members inline to ensure there was no hoarding, in a nutshell it was absolutely perfect for the whole guild getting bis quickly. of course you would have raids where someone would win something ahead of you, but what player b's seemed so quick to forget was that when you won something, there was likely players that also bid.

Just like the guy that argued "so a new player with bad gear gets all the gear in the first few weeks" HOW IS THIS JUST BRUSHED OFF AS A BAD THING? its amazing no? the most vital ingretients were choice and balance of settings, no gear forced onto you, it was a choice, burn all your dkp on items you didnt need? thats your fault, not the guy that saved his dkp for the bigger upgrade for him. you couldnt burn all your dkp on winning 4 items and then expect to win something ahead of the guy that hadnt won anything for 2 weeks because he only had a couple of upgrades he needed.

You would want that player that has 80% bis still attending raid, take away that option and that promise of him winning what he needs eventually and then you have the problem that was the biggest in epgp guild, getting the best geared players to continue to attend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    You will notice that although OP spent the first 4 pages saying no one knew how DKP worked and that his system was perfect
    glad you pointed out that everything that people were disagreeing with was a different system that i mistakenly labeled dkp, if you read the comments you will see i was clearly talking about epgp, i just forgot it was called that.

Im happy with your comment highlighting this, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    DKP was shit. GDKP (gold DKP) on the other hand was awesome. Pure market capitalism, loot goes to the highest bidder, money goes into a pot that is distributed evenly to all raid members that stuck it out to the end of the night.

You might get outbid on that item you badly want, sometimes several weeks in a row. Sucks to suck but that's bidding. Get richer, problem solved.

The best part of this system was that, even if you had a shitty night and didn't get any loot, if you spent zero gold chances were good you walked away with 10-20k gold, which made you more competitive in future bids.

This meant it was exciting when you saw a coveted prize item drop. Heroic Deathbringer's Will in ICC always went for insane amounts of gold, and it was exciting because you knew the pot was going to get 100k fatter. Raiding was a legitimate way of making gold with GDKP.

I bet Blizzard could implement this as a type of LFR. Straight up pay-to-win bidding contest-based loot system. The catch is that the spent gold goes into a pot and is distributed to everyone else at the end.
    Never experienced that system but that sounds a bit more like a pay to win rather than a equal earn points system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    DKP Was pretty great. especially in larger guilds. Rewards people who actually show up. As opposed to the DPS god who only makes it to one raid a month.
    Thanks, and it was actually called epgp not dkp, dkp recieves a lot of backlash and some of the stories ive read that people experienced no wonder so many people are so quick to instantly dismiss the post.

Man. I LOVED Dkp. It was a way to show for those who knew about showing up on time and performing well. It was great IMO. Definitely miss it. But I also hale from the old school of raiding.
    Last edited by Aggressive; 2021-01-23 at 05:04 AM.
    Be careful who you chat it up with here on these forums. If you are NOT for WoW and about WoW, people will report whatever you say and get you banned

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Thats why my Raid always just rolled for the Items, we never were so "HardCore" that progress was oh so important, and we dont raid the dungeon only one time. Everyone eventually gets their loot. Only people who are not attached to their Group/Guild will feel the need to get their Items first.
    Exactly mate, people hated the idea that you had to earn your points to spend them, they absolutely HATED it, they just wanted handouts, the people that were happy to earn the points just by attending (being a good raider) would do well, its the people that scarcely attended that of course would have exception to it because they wanted what the people that earnt it were getting without actually earning it.

Nope
    So just to be clear, in your system, if two people wanted the same item, they would................roll?

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    So just to be clear, in your system, if two people wanted the same item, they would................roll?
    Let me be clear about the system im talking about:

You would be rewarded earn points depending on

- being on time (50dkp) same for all
    - killing a boss (50dkp) same for all
    - a progress kill (100dkp) same for all
    - a static amount for all every hour (20dkp) same for all
    - staying till the end (50dkp) same for all
    Players that were benched and available for raid would accumilate the exact same that those that were in play were recieving.

every item slot would have its static cost pre set so no class/spec gets an advantage.

weapons 1300dkp
    tier 950dkp
    armor 675dkp

when you bid you would bid either

need (100% cost)
    minor upgrade/alt (75% cost)
    pass

Every 2nd week you would lower everyones dkp by 30% to deter from people hoarding, the more you hoarded the more you lost.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAR quicker at getting an entire guild a bis gearset than now - give people a dice to roll.

You guys that attend every raid in 2 months time will still be chasing a couple of items where with epgp you would be full bis due to being able to target your rewards instead of them being rng/worthless most of the time.

The arguements i seen against this system are so obvious the player commenting is a player b,

There is a single clothie winning all the cloth. so? what does that have to do with you?
    "but then hes winning my trinket too!" no? you couldnt win loads of items and then win a trinket too against a guy that hadnt spent anything, you would have spent all your points.

The reason took out ML i fully agree with, the abuse of loot council or friend council as i began to call it was so obvious and crappy that it needed taking away, best way to gear a guild when used rightwithout question, easiest way for a crappy gm and his army of crappy officers to gear themselves, masking it with "its for the good of the guild" "your loot horny" as the officer recieves his 7th item this week on his alt.
    Last edited by SoloMmofriendly; 2021-01-23 at 05:32 AM.

snip
    What a great system! Now go back in time 15 years or so and implement it. Of course it won't work like you want it to but hey, knock yourself out. Your idea sounds like one of the worst systems I've ever seen btw.

Btw, I thought you quit to go play ffxiv though? Or was it just to make threads about sub count? I forget your motivations exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    What a great system! Now go back in time 15 years or so and implement it. Of course it won't work like you want it to but hey, knock yourself out. Your idea sounds like one of the worst systems I've ever seen btw.

Btw, I thought you quit to go play ffxiv though? Or was it just to make threads about sub count? I forget your motivations exactly.
    It was great, it was balanced, not the only person that experienced this version and spoke highly about it, the key ingrediant was the balance and fairness.

Yes final fantasy, im level 8 atm. feels a bit slow moving around the zone but 2 more levels i can rent a chocobo!

Every video i watched touched upon how the start feels very slow and most players dont get past it. il stick at it thinking 2 levels a day, got nothing else rewarding to play.
    Last edited by SoloMmofriendly; 2021-01-23 at 05:40 AM.

Let me be clear about the system im talking about:

You would be rewarded earn points depending on

- being on time (50dkp) same for all
    - killing a boss (50dkp) same for all
    - a progress kill (100dkp) same for all
    - a static amount for all every hour (20dkp) same for all
    - staying till the end (50dkp) same for all
    Players that were benched and available for raid would accumilate the exact same that those that were in play were recieving.

every item slot would have its static cost pre set so no class/spec gets an advantage.

weapons 1300dkp
    tier 950dkp
    armor 675dkp

when you bid you would bid either

need (100% cost)
    minor upgrade/alt (75% cost)
    pass

Every 2nd week you would lower everyones dkp by 30% to deter from people hoarding, the more you hoarded the more you lost.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAR quicker at getting an entire guild a bis gearset than now - give people a dice to roll.

You guys that attend every raid in 2 months time will still be chasing a couple of items where with epgp you would be full bis due to being able to target your rewards instead of them being rng/worthless most of the time.

The arguements i seen against this system are so obvious the player commenting is a player b,

There is a single clothie winning all the cloth. so? what does that have to do with you?
    "but then hes winning my trinket too!" no? you couldnt win loads of items and then win a trinket too against a guy that hadnt spent anything, you would have spent all your points.

The reason took out ML i fully agree with, the abuse of loot council or friend council as i began to call it was so obvious and crappy that it needed taking away, best way to gear a guild when used rightwithout question, easiest way for a crappy gm and his army of crappy officers to gear themselves, masking it with "its for the good of the guild" "your loot horny" as the officer recieves his 7th item this week on his alt.
    your system has still not mentioned what happens when 2 players can both afford an item that dropped.

2 Warriors both want that sweet 2H sword that just dropped. Both have the same DKP, and can both afford it. What now?

The way you're talking about this it feels like you almost just want a loot store, but DKP didn't magically make all the right items drop for your group.

your system has still not mentioned what happens when 2 players can both afford an item that dropped.

2 Warriors both want that sweet 2H sword that just dropped. Both have the same DKP, and can both afford it. What now?

The way you're talking about this it feels like you almost just want a loot store, but DKP didn't magically make all the right items drop for your group.
    Firstly it wouldnt matter because with a solid consistent guild if 2 warriors need a sword the one that didnt win it 100% chance wins it next time. thats the entire point.

So even if it wasnt given to (say if your the warrior) you, you know next time its yours, your dkp stays high and you can even look around at your competition and see if you have any points spare to stay ahead and go for another item. that was part of the fun, looking around at your gearset calculating whats what and spend your earn points wherever you see fit.

Just burnt all your earnt points on 4 items you didnt really need? thats on YOU, you cant win loads of items and then cry because the guy that saved his points for the bigger upgrade that is bis wins. while you was winning 4 items he was winning zero. blowing points because you cant wait for something that is unquestionably bis. taking bis items off other members when they are a minor upgrade for you only slows down the guild all getting bis quickly together.

Earn your points, spend them wisely. success! be loot horny, try and greed every tiny upgrade when the big upgrades come around guess what, you dont have the points, thats where the "this system sucks" comes in from entitled and loot horny player bs

If you have a level playing field, equal to all, and have a problem with that, then you are the problem, not the system. this system was EVEN and fair, the problem was the tiny iq minds couldnt get there head around it.

hES wINNING aLL mY bEST iTEMS wHILE iM oNLY wINNING tRASH

THEN DONT NEED ON THE TRASH YOU APE!!!!!

"bUT tHEY wERE uPGRADE"

oh yes, truly sorry, you received upgrades for your effort put in. such a crap system.

The problem wasnt people being unfairly treated, it was people wanting the minor upgrades AND the BIS items, you couldnt have both.

if you approached it with an attitude like "I made a bad decision so lost out" you would see the system as something entirely different, being in control of your own gearset destiny was far better than a system that is purely a roll of the dice and you guys are all to DUMB to see it.

4months time you will still be opening your weekly vault praying to rnjesus where if you was an epgp guild you would of been full bis 2 months before if you spent your earnt points wisely, all the while popping on mmochampion to tell the world how much better the gearing system is now.
    Last edited by SoloMmofriendly; 2021-01-23 at 06:23 AM.

Ran with DKP in vanilla, TBC and Wotlk and our guild never really noticed the issues people talk about here with the high-dps players not attending.

Our system was basically:
    Everyone got 50 points per bosskill (attending or on the bench)
    Turn up on time: 10 points
    Progression raids netted 20 points per hour
    Min. cost for all items were 50 points.

Points were updated AFTER the raid, meaning you only bid with what you had when the raid started.

When an item dropped, we would do a silent auction. We announced who took the bids, and on what item. People would then whisper that person with the amount of points they were willing to spend on the item. The winning bid was then announced in chat.

We saw some people hoard points for weapons, and certain items, such as the chromatically tempered sword, went for over 3000 points the first few times it dropped. (Once demand was getting filled it dropped to the minimum price of 50 dkp though).

What happened if two people bid the exact same amount? Well, we would whisper both of them and let them change their bids if they wanted to. In general, one of them either upped their bid or passed to the other guy. We seriously had no issues here whatsoever.

Biggest problem with the system was that we kept getting earthfury-drops in Molten Core as alliance (was later patched), and our paladins insisted on wasting their dkp on it.

Every video i watched touched upon how the start feels very slow and most players dont get past it. il stick at it thinking 2 levels a day, got nothing else rewarding to play.
    I posted a list of Korean MMOs that were localized. Guess none of them tickled your fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I posted a list of Korean MMOs that were localized. Guess none of them tickled your fancy.
    I didnt try tbh, scared by the thought of being hindered by a foreign language i guess. im sure there will be english speaking folk but i doubt there is that many?

Quite happy with ff, just a bit slow atm even for me desperate to find a new game its hard for me to get into it, i see what the videos were talking about but i will stick with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by luedieniel View Post
    Ran with DKP in vanilla, TBC and Wotlk and our guild never really noticed the issues people talk about here with the high-dps players not attending.

Our system was basically:
    Everyone got 50 points per bosskill (attending or on the bench)
    Turn up on time: 10 points
    Progression raids netted 20 points per hour
    Min. cost for all items were 50 points.

Points were updated AFTER the raid, meaning you only bid with what you had when the raid started.

When an item dropped, we would do a silent auction. We announced who took the bids, and on what item. People would then whisper that person with the amount of points they were willing to spend on the item. The winning bid was then announced in chat.

We saw some people hoard points for weapons, and certain items, such as the chromatically tempered sword, went for over 3000 points the first few times it dropped. (Once demand was getting filled it dropped to the minimum price of 50 dkp though).

What happened if two people bid the exact same amount? Well, we would whisper both of them and let them change their bids if they wanted to. In general, one of them either upped their bid or passed to the other guy. We seriously had no issues here whatsoever.

Biggest problem with the system was that we kept getting earthfury-drops in Molten Core as alliance (was later patched), and our paladins insisted on wasting their dkp on it.
    See yeah immidiately i see how that would cause problems, a flexible bid cost is only going to make the playing field uneven and as someone said competitive players bidding just to hike a players dkp cost, bad bad bad.

Also only earning the points after is a bit crappy, a window of opportunity for people not to attend untill later.

I do see why so many people shut down dkp instantly, there version was horrendous, uneven and unfair, epgp wasnt like that it was incredibly fair everyone had the same playing field and there was no opportunity for manipulation, sure you can bid with others to take items but then you only hurt yourself aswell.

Maybe thats why epgp fell flat too, too many players hurt by dkp (rightly so) instantly brushing off the idea as bad thinking its the same as the uneven, unfair and easily manipulated system they was in before. too scred to look between the lines and realise holy shit, actually, this system is flawless.

I was a recruitment officer at the time and i remember the number of players that would instantly say "no thanks" when i said we were an epgp guild. epgp was VERY different to dkp bidding/awarding. it was even and fair. but there was never any way i could explain this through there closed mindedness.
    Last edited by SoloMmofriendly; 2021-01-23 at 06:38 AM.

I didnt try tbh, scared by the thought of being hindered by a foreign language i guess. im sure there will be english speaking folk but i doubt there is that many?

Quite happy with ff, just a bit slow atm even for me desperate to find a new game its hard for me to get into it, i see what the videos were talking about but i will stick with it.

- - - Updated - - -

See yeah immidiately i see how that would cause problems, a flexible bid cost is only going to make the playing field uneven and as someone said competitive players bidding just to hike a players dkp cost, bad bad bad.

Also only earning the points after is a bit crappy, a window of opportunity for people not to attend untill later.

I do see why so many people shut down dkp instantly, there version was horrendous, uneven and unfair, epgp wasnt like that it was incredibly fair everyone had the same playing field and there was no opportunity for manipulation, sure you can bid with others to take items but then you only hurt yourself aswell.

Maybe thats why epgp fell flat too, too many players hurt by dkp (rightly so) instantly brushing off the idea as bad thinking its the same as the uneven, unfair and easily manipulated system they was in before. too scred to look between the lines and realise holy shit, actually, this system is flawless.

I was a recruitment officer at the time and i remember the number of players that would instantly say "no thanks" when i said we were an epgp guild. epgp was VERY different to dkp bidding/awarding. it was even and fair. but there was never any way i could explain this through there closed mindedness.
    Sure, I'm not saying it was perfect. I'm saying it worked very well for us. Its not a system I would want to go back to, but it served its purpose at the time.

As for epgp, we did try that all throughout cataclysm, but we scrapped it for MoP again and since most of the guild eventually got fed up with kung-fu pandas, we more or less disbanded there and then.

Now as for this:

We didn't see much of this at all, is it a possibility? Absolutely. But I think you're missing even more blatant issues with the system. For instance, if you think about it... If you wish to maximize your own gain in the system we used, you should bid up the other player (as you say) but you could just as well not bid at all, and wait a week or two for the next drop, which will be significantly cheaper. We had people raiding for months on end only to throw away all their DKP on a single item and then start from scratch again. If you think the current system is slow for gearing up, try the one we had.

In essence, our system wasnt great. I wouldn't use it today for a multitude of reasons, but it worked for the time, it worked well, and our guild was highly competitive.
    Maybe thats why epgp fell flat too, too many players hurt by dkp (rightly so) instantly brushing off the idea as bad thinking its the same as the uneven, unfair and easily manipulated system they was in before.
    I don't know who hurt you with the DKP man, but I can only imagine you must've suffered some very traumatic experiences with the purple pixels. I'm sorry for that, and I hope you can understand that not all DKP systems were blatantly manipulated just because they could be.

Quote Originally Posted by luedieniel View Post
    I don't know who hurt you with the DKP man, but I can only imagine you must've suffered some very traumatic experiences with the purple pixels. I'm sorry for that, and I hope you can understand that not all DKP systems were blatantly manipulated just because they could be.
    Its just logic buddy and quite the opposite, i wasnt hurt with dkp, the "dkp" system i used was in a nutshell flawless and all of these loopholes etc people are mentioning simply didnt exist in epgp. the biggest issue with epgp was people not attending as soon as they got there bis gearset, i remember the feeling of there is no point to go now, while i didnt act on it and i still attended out of loyalty to those that assisted me in getting absolute bis i still got the feeling that caused the majority of others to "take a break" coincidentially as soon as there was nothing left in there gear to upgrade....every time. maybe epgp was too good thats why a lot of guilds didnt adopt it.

I was just touching on how the people that did get hurt were so immidiate in there reaction to shut down epgp. epgp dkp 2 completely different things, same kinda concept but with 1 thing in mind, fairness for all with no manipulation loopholes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly it wouldnt matter because with a solid consistent guild if 2 warriors need a sword the one that didnt win it 100% chance wins it next time. thats the entire point.
    But who gets it first? How is that decided?

Localized means the NPCs and players will speak the localized language minus any bots advertising real-money services. So unless you managed to download the Korean version with a language pack, language is not an issue.