Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It could be useful to balance the availability of roles.

3 specs:
    Ranged DPS/Ranged DPS/Healer

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    no we dont, shadowlands has shown that blizzard cant even balance the 11 we have
    Which means we can get new classes so we get fresh gameplay.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Of course we all have different reasons for liking or disliking this or that thing more than the other things. But for me, the selling point of an expansion has always been about the new content, not a new class or spec. I can play WoW from now until it shuts down without ever getting more classes or specs. Others may be turned off by that and it's fine. I don't care.
    Well wouldn't new classes be considered "new content"?

10+ Year Old Account
    No we don't need another tinker vs necromancer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    NOTE: This is NOT about what class you want to see in 10.0. In this thread, I simply want to ask a few questions;

1. Does WoW need a new class for 10.0? In other words, do you feel that the lack of a new class in this expansion hurt the game, and another expansion without a new class would hurt the game further?

2. Do you think a new class in Shadowlands would have made this expansion better/more interesting?

3. If there is NO new class introduced in 10.0, will that effect your purchase of the next expansion?

The last class to enter the game was Demon Hunter in 2016. If there's no class announced later this year when the next expansion is set to be announced, that would mean that we won't be getting a new class until 2024 at the earliest. That would be 8 years without a new class in WoW. I'm curious what effect do you think the lack of a new class would have on the game for that stretch of time.

Again, please do not bring up any specific classes in this thread. This is about new classes in general, and the effect that new classes have on WoW in of itself, not anything specific class-wise.
    Noone really cares about a new class they will still play the game regardless and there is no need for new classes, blizzard are useless at class balancing and adding another will just screw over other players who always stick to the one class but get screwed over at blizzards lack of ability.

Just because there is no new class is not going to stop anyone buying the game, adding a new class wouldnt even bring anything as it would just play like one of the classes already ingame just with different abilities to give you an illusion of getting something different.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Nothing in WoW is "needed", so this argument is kinda fallacious.

I mean, literally nothing is “needed”, even breathing is optional if you hate life enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Well wouldn't new classes be considered "new content"?
    Technically yes. I meant the whole package of an expansion, not just a single point. As an example, would I buy an expansion that only gave me a new class and nothing else? No. Would I buy an expansion that only gave me one new zone and nothing else? No. Would I buy an expansion that gave me a new class, a new zone and nothing else? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Which means we can get new classes so we get fresh gameplay.
    and what would fresh gameplay actually give us?, another stupidly op class for 2xpacs which blizz cant balance?

I want a new healer / ranged class, so from my perspective a new class is needed.

"Need" no not at all. I don't think it'd make a huge difference one way or another.

Personally I'd like to see them do more interesting things with what we've already got. Add lots of unique aesthetic customization to the existing classes, open up class / race combos with unique lore using said customization.

I also think the base classes still need a lot of love, not a completely from the ground up overhaul like they got in legion but I definitely feel they miss the mark on what made the core of each spec compelling pre-legion.

I think once that base is made whole then these borrowed power systems can be made to better compliment that base instead of filling in holes.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

As long its no melee, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    I always try to make a difference between need and want. No, we absolutely do not need a new class. Many people want one, however, so they will try to make it appear like we do need one. But we do not. We just want it.
    It's a video game, I would argue the term "need" is never appropriate if taken literally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    It could be useful to balance the availability of roles.

3 specs:
    Ranged DPS/Ranged DPS/Healer
    After bliz successfully lowered the bar with DH we'll be lucky to get two specs in a new class, let alone 3 useful ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

and what would fresh gameplay actually give us?, another stupidly op class for 2xpacs which blizz cant balance?
    It would give us fresh gameplay. Which is thgw goal for me.

Blizzard can't balance anyway. 1 Expansion without a new class can't give us balanced classes, BfA and Shadowlands for 2 expansions in a row probably won't give us balanced classes, and if 10.0 doesn't add a new class or specs, that will have been 3 whole expansions without being able to balance classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Blizzard can't balance anyway. 1 Expansion without a new class can't give us balanced classes, BfA and Shadowlands for 2 expansions in a row probably won't give us balanced classes, and if 10.0 doesn't add a new class or specs, that will have been 3 whole expansions without being able to balance classes.
    Classes haven't been balanced since vanilla alpha... The argument about balancing is just a flimsy non argument tbh.

A portion of the playerbase thrives on the rules changing, on having new mechanics to explore. New classes are one of the largest, loudest ways for Blizz to change the rules of play. So what it would "give us" is a reason for those players to play, or return to the game.

I can't say what portion of players that is. Blizz likely has an idea, but I think we can guess roughly from the early Torghast response (by now the novelty shine has worn off, so it's become a different measure). Some folks loved Torghast from the start, some hated it from the start. If Blizz adds a class, they'll do it because they think it's a sound use of resources.

That said, we likely don't have anything near a "need" for a new class. At most, we might benefit from a new spec or two in the healer/tank space, if someone identifies a specific playstyle that would be popular and is absent/not possible today.

And FWIW, Blizz is likely capable of balancing, but balance is not the highest priority even among players. Some are certainly loud about it, but perfect balance would require the game to stop changing long enough for the data to settle. Few people want balance at the expense of fresh content.

Alternatively, balance could be achieved by homogenization, which most players also do not want.

I don't expect any more classes. I hope we get reskins of the classes we have. They don't need a necromancer class when they have the option to re-skin the demonologist, for example. Just a funky barbershop unlock would do it. City of heroes/villains made NEAR INFINITE CLASSES out of the total cosmetic flexibility of their class templates. I'm still floored that no other non-superhero game (that I'm aware of) has tried this.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2021-01-23 at 05:42 PM.

no we dont, shadowlands has shown that blizzard cant even balance the 11 we have
    That's true but I'd still rather them come out with new ones just to play something different.

10+ Year Old Account
    No and No.

The problem with new classes is that they need to have an identity and that's increasingly hard to do the more classes there are, especially when each class (DH and druid excepted) comes with 3 specs. Think about popular suggestions like Dark Ranger. Yeah, it's dark (ohh edgy!) but it's basically a hunter. Necromancer... how do you do it that's *really* different from DK, Demo Lock, etc?

If they are going to do a new class they need to do something like (and I cannot believe I'm typing this... ) Tinker where the theme of it isn't "Class X but different like this".

Even then, what is a new class going to do that people don't already have? Ranged DPS? Tons of it, with and without pets. Yeah, you're shooting arrows as a hunter vs rockets but... eh. Tanks? We have several good tank classes and a new one is unlikely to get many new people to tank. Same for healers. They could introduce a support only class like Bard but that requires a complete rethink of how encounters work and how a pure support class would justify its value. IF the buffs they bring to the raid are important, then the encounter would need to be tuned with them in mind and assume that the raid has that buff. But then, if they die, it still needs to be beatable when the buff goes away or when the raid is missing that class for some reason.

At this point new classes just aren't needed. They might do one as a marketing gimmick but they might also decide that it's more work to incorporate one than it's worth. I mean, how many people play DH or monk now?

Hard no from me. They already struggle to make the classes we have unique and completely fail at balance. Adding more classes just makes the issue worse. I don't think they should ever add a new class again. The game has plenty at the moment.