Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I don't believe anyone has said it would be done easily.

But it does remind me of this:
    The level of difficulty involved is far beyond your understanding, which makes it seem easier that it is....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Aren't you the same folks claiming that international treaties ultimately don't matter because the US can do what it wants by virtue of being the strongest whenever we point out the invasion of Iraq was and remains illegal? *whistles innocently*
    The US already capitulated on not being able to dictate international civilian overflights, hence why they signed onto the treaty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The US already capitulated on not being able to dictate international civilian overflights, hence why they signed onto the treaty.
    That... doesn't remotely refute what I said, lol.

So yeah, ITT right wingers suddenly care about international law. Interesting how that works the moment their shitty realist and unified executive theory arguments are used against them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    That... doesn't remotely refute what I said, lol.

So yeah, ITT right wingers suddenly care about international law. Interesting how that works the moment their shitty realist and unified executive theory arguments are used against them.
    It does actually, if you think about it.

Ignoring treaties is about the consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does actually, if you think about it.

Ignoring treaties is about the consequences.
    Yeah, and as right wingers like to remind us every time they start another war there's no one willing or able to challenge the US for breaking a treaty.

This is as inane as Kokolums claiming that Russia and China were going to intervene on behalf of Trump's voters if everyone didn't capitulate to the right wing's insane demands. Y'all have a very warped perception of how the rest of the world sees you.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The US is part of an international treaty allowing commercial overflight of US territory, you know that right?.
    The thing is, Wyoming would have to be recognized as a country for that to apply, and it wouldn't be. The US, even if it allowed secession, would be extremely unlikely to support it being declared an independent nation. The US could absolutely bar any air traffic between Wyoming and the rest of the world.

As for the impact on the US, you're right in it being very expensive and difficult for the country to deal with the hole that would be created. The US is NOT better off without Wyoming, and it's loss would be a huge blow to the country. Nobody sane should actually want the state gone especially, but we also can't play the 'give us everything we want or we are leaving' game with them because that can never end well.

The level of difficulty involved is far beyond your understanding, which makes it seem easier that it is....
    No, it's hugely difficult. Would take years and billions of dollars to complete. We've established that

Never stated it would be easy.

But the point is the US has options to go around Wyoming. Slower options. Options that would require heavy investment in time and money to bring to full capacity....but options.

Compare that to Wyoming which has no options at all. They close off the highways and the rails to the US...and the US closes off the highways and rails to them.

Who lasts longer under those conditions?
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-01-22 at 01:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and as right wingers like to remind us every time they start another war there's no one willing or able to challenge the US for breaking a treaty.

This is as inane as Kokolums claiming that Russia and China were going to intervene on behalf of Trump's voters if everyone didn't capitulate to the right wing's insane demands. Y'all have a very warped perception of how the rest of the world sees you.
    Actually the US does suffer harm for breaking treaties. As I said, its all about the consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually the US does suffer harm for breaking treaties. As I said, its all about the consequences.
    The vague consequences you continually allude to but never elaborate because you can't actually cite any specifics beyond cockamamie hypotheticals about foreign intervention on behalf of Wyoming? Right.

Funny how the "facts over feelings" crowd constantly insists people take their nonsense on faith.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    The thing is, Wyoming would have to be recognized as a country for that to apply, and it wouldn't be. The US, even if it allowed secession, would be extremely unlikely to support it being declared an independent nation. The US could absolutely bar any air traffic between Wyoming and the rest of the world.

As for the impact on the US, you're right in it being very expensive and difficult for the country to deal with the hole that would be created. The US is NOT better off without Wyoming, and it's loss would be a huge blow to the country. Nobody sane should actually want the state gone especially, but we also can't play the 'give us everything we want or we are leaving' game with them because that can never end well.
    By allowing Wyoming to leave, it would be recognizing Wyoming's right to exist as an independent nation.

- - - Updated - - -

The vague consequences you continually allude to but never elaborate because you can't actually cite any specifics beyond cockamamie hypotheticals about foreign intervention on behalf of Wyoming? Right.

Funny how the "facts over feelings" crowd constantly insists people take their nonsense on faith.
    Ever heard of the WTO?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ever heard of the WTO?
    Yep. Not sure why you'd think they'd back Wyoming over the rest of the US.

Again, you're literally rehashing Brexit arguments and they're equally as stupid here. Not sure what skin you have to lose by admitting that Wyoming is a union dependent, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell of a lot nicer place to visit than most of the rest of the country.
    35th most visited state:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...ourism-2014-10

Your view is objectively inaccurate.

Edit: To reiterate... being 35th most visited state, is their second most lucrative industry.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post

Edit: To reiterate... being 35th most visited state, is their second most lucrative industry.
    Sure, but now going to Wyoming will be visiting a foreign country....so you'll get the added bonus of going through customs when you visit! YAY!

Yellowstone is cool though. And the, uh, other parts of wyoming. In reality, the population of wyoming would be crushed by poverty if the state was allowed to leave. They get almost $700/capita in federal funding. If they had to pay for their highways in addition to border crossings, let alone anything else, their infrastructure would fall apart. Their top industry would be cratered with no way to get product to market because they couldn't afford to maintain the rails and roads even if the rest of the US was extremely permissive.

This thread is a joke. From the OP:

He later told the Star Tribune that the idea of seceding was brought up “only [in] a brief conversation with the Texas GOP in earlier work with them,” and added, “won't come up again unless the grass roots brings it up."
    Even the person who brought it up in the interview knew it was just idiots bullshitting, not remotely serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to be clear, am not talking shit about Wyoming. This is all within the construct of this thread... it’s a fine state...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    35th most visited state:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...ourism-2014-10

Your view is objectively inaccurate.

I said there were nicer, not more popular. My view is subjective.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Yellowstone is cool though. And the, uh, other parts of wyoming. In reality, the population of wyoming would be crushed by poverty if the state was allowed to leave. They get almost $700/capita in federal funding. If they had to pay for their highways in addition to border crossings, let alone anything else, their infrastructure would fall apart. Their top industry would be cratered with no way to get product to market because they couldn't afford to maintain the rails and roads even if the rest of the US was extremely permissive.

This thread is a joke. From the OP:

Even the person who brought it up in the interview knew it was just idiots bullshitting, not remotely serious.
    The interstates would no be needed to be maintained as they are massive overkill for Wyoming's internal needs. Wyoming doesn't maintain railroads in the state, they are owned by UP and BNSF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. Not sure why you'd think they'd back Wyoming over the rest of the US.

Again, you're literally rehashing Brexit arguments and they're equally as stupid here. Not sure what skin you have to lose by admitting that Wyoming is a union dependent, really.
    It's the same old Tory skin in the game. One day they hope to inherit grandpappy's million dollar ranch. It's about protecting their status of being among the landed elites.

Being a minor elite in an independent Wyoming or Wales, gives them more status online. They can brag a little louder in tradechat.

That's the one interesting question. What would an "independent" Wyoming do about billionaire Texans and Californians being their largest landowners (after the federal government)?
    Government Affiliated Snark

It could be done, but not as easily as you seem to think.
    I never said it would be easy. I just said we have the Machinery to do it and that cities would help fund such efforts if they knew it'd bring in more goods and traffic that would boost the cities revenue in the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    I said there were nicer, not more popular. My view is subjective.
    How much revenue is generated on your subjective view? Revenue produced is an objective measure of popularity... If states could survive on subjective feeling of superiority, this thread would be meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazkar View Post
    I never said it would be easy. I just said we have the Machinery to do it and that cities would help fund such efforts if they knew it'd bring in more goods and traffic that would boost the cities revenue in the long run.
    Yeah, I imagine there are plenty of towns and cities that would be quite interested in becoming part of The New Interstate™. (Gonna Trademark that now so that, if it happens, i get a dollar anytime anyone mentions "The New Interstate")

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazkar View Post
    All you would be doing is restoring lost traffic, not generating more.

- - - Updated - - -

How much revenue is generated on your subjective view? Revenue produced is an objective measure of popularity... If states could survive on subjective feeling of superiority, this thread would be meaningless.
    Again, I said nicer, not more popular. NYC is a hellhole, but for some ungodly reason it is a popular place to go.