Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Yes, it is. Why would you say it isn't?
    they literally explain it in the next line of their post?

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    they literally explain it in the next line of their post?
    You mean with the lack of explanation. That logic does not prove it is not a Sci Fi universe because they aren't saying you'd be stuck on Earth in the OP.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    But we'd all be Joe Average there, most struggling to make ends meet., Unlike say, a "Star Trek" universe where you or I would at least live a long comfortable age.
    But by that logic, wouldn't Battlestar Galactica, where earth humans are 100,000 of years in the past be dequalified? Does the state of earth's advancement or even it's existence intrinsically relevant?

If you had to choose what universe, if that universe had an earth, the choice is still applicable because you could be a human like one of hte Guardians or just living in one of the many planets or worlds, regardless of whether earth or humans were around.

Teh requirement is simple, any universe that has a sci-fie component to it, as long as one exists, it should qualify right? But if you feel it shouldn't then just ignore that choice, which one would you like to live in?

Super God Gene.. its a Chinese web novel
    I always preferred biological augmentation/important over technology.

The best and most interesting sci fi universes are often dystopian settings which I'd never want to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    The best and most interesting sci fi universes are often dystopian settings which I'd never want to live in.
    They are also the least technologically advanced.. often the world is nearly destroyed, it's sparse and horrible terrain, with some sort of advanced tech. But the stories are more interesting

My theory is that it's more popular because our real lives at least 80s to 2020, was relatively quite calm and prosperous , and thus we consider progress and ideal situations as boring.

If we had grown up with farming, pestilence, war in many of those worlds, we would hate that in our fiction wouldn't we. I guess we'll soon findo ut, by my estimates World war 3 has already started, but it's cold atm, but it will lead to a hot era.. I wonder how we'd feel about these shows then.

Star Trek, by far. Isn't that the one with the UBI and stuff?

So yeah, Star Trek. Most of the others seem so scary somehow...

Eureka. Second choice would be the Firefly universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    They are also the least technologically advanced.. often the world is nearly destroyed, it's sparse and horrible terrain, with some sort of advanced tech. But the stories are more interesting
    I wouldn't say least technologically advanced, I'd rather say often less 'civilized' in that there is ongoing war or recuperation from war involved.

Usually in these type of universes, the technology is being advanced by some super genius radicalizing technology, or some mega-corporations that are untouchable and advancing technology at a rapid pace at the cost of everything around them. Most anime sci-fi universes touch on this type of super advanced tech dystopian universe, and it's not the advancement of tech that is the problem but the inability of society keeping up with the rapid changes as a result of the tech.

My theory is that it's more popular because our real lives at least 80s to 2020, was relatively quite calm and prosperous , and thus we consider progress and ideal situations as boring.
    Not sure I'd quite agree since Sci Fi has been prevalent since the early 50's, and possibly further back than that if you count the writings of Jules Verne as Science Fiction.

It's more simple than just being an 80's-2020's thing, it's basic Fantasy, set in the far future instead of in magical worlds. And fantasy is something that has dominated our cultures for millenia. Sci Fi is only prominent now since we are living with technology and have seen the improvements they've made to the world around us. It's still very much considered fantasy in terms of being a means of entertainment and distraction from our mundane lives.

Mass Effect for the space exploration and Cyberpunk for joining the nomads and roaming the badlands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Starwars obviously
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

TNG era Star Trek
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

IT's a fair point, but it is a different enough world as it is, our world doesn't have visitors from alien worlds nor does our reality have that level of sci-fi component, don't you think that qualifies to have it there. And yes, I did liist Guardians because at least it's obvious that is sci-fi, rather than say Ironman. Thor would also qualify - presuambly you would be living in that universe, not necessarily earth, earth isn't available in Star wars universe, so in theory you don't have to be on earth, even if it is a part of the universe.
    If you are human, you live on Earth in the Marvel setting.

Exactly, Earth (whatever state it is in) is not a requirement nor the benchmark, Battlescar Galactica tiemline, earth is in prehistory setting, do we exclude that because earth isn't in that state? no.
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    So, problem with Sci-Fi universes are there is almost always some sort of existential threat to deal with, but ill bite.
    Another good reason to live in the Culture, if an existential crisis crops up there are whole consortiums of Minds who can deal with it and if you don't want to be involved you can just arrange to be very far away, or in Storage, or use accelerated time in a virtual environment to live out several lives in a compressed period.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Another good reason to live in the Culture, if an existential crisis crops up there are whole consortiums of Minds who can deal with it and if you don't want to be involved you can just arrange to be very far away, or in Storage, or use accelerated time in a virtual environment to live out several lives in a compressed period.
    I don't know if i'd be one to hide in storage.. I'd probably badly want to, but couldn't bring myself to do nothing about the status quo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Asimov's. Living for centuries and being served by hundreds of robots sounds fun

I don't know if i'd be one to hide in storage.. I'd probably badly want to, but couldn't bring myself to do nothing about the status quo.
    One downside of the Culture is all the big important stuff is way above your pay-grade (if anyone got paid which they don't because everything is free, the one catch is technology above a certain level is sentient and therefore has to agree with what you want to do.) Getting into Contact to live the Star Trek explorer lifestyle isn't too difficult but the Special Circumstances branch that allows you to make galaxy-shaking actions only takes people with very particular skills and mindset.

10+ Year Old Account
    The canon Star Trek universe, none of that dystopian NuTrek trash

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    They get the most currency because of just that.
    "May you live in interesting times" wasn't a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    The canon Star Trek universe, none of that dystopian NuTrek trash
    It's canon. Cry about it.