Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    When is Mahomes due his 100m/yr extension anyway?
    I think it is 2022 or 2023 where his cap jumps up, but it isn't even just him. They gave extensions to 3 other people that will be 20+ mill cap hits too.

When is Mahomes due his 100m/yr extension anyway?
    He is due 25M in 2021, 31.5M in 2022, and 42.5M in 2023. Which is a rather large jump from the 5.3M he is making this year.

I really think people calling them the next Patriots are jumping the gun. People thought that about the Seahawks and once their QB wasn't a 0.6% or less cap hit their team had to shed some talent and suddenly they aren't in the Super Bowl every year. Chiefs should get most people back for 2021, but looking at who they are going to lose in 2022 that is going to be the earliest indicator of how they will do in the future.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    He is due 25M in 2021, 31.5M in 2022, and 42.5M in 2023. Which is a rather large jump from the 5.3M he is making this year.

I really think people calling them the next Patriots are jumping the gun. People thought that about the Seahawks and once their QB wasn't a 0.6% or less cap hit their team had to shed some talent and suddenly they aren't in the Super Bowl every year. Chiefs should get most people back for 2021, but looking at who they are going to lose in 2022 that is going to be the earliest indicator of how they will do in the future.
    2022 they probably extend him, too. And by then we'll have new deals that'll probably push Mahomes' hit up not down. Probably 2 more years before this team splits up for good.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

2022 they probably extend him, too. And by then we'll have new deals that'll probably push Mahomes' hit up not down. Probably 2 more years before this team splits up for good.
    He is already extended 10 years, I highly doubt he gets another extension until at least 2028.

10+ Year Old Account
    He is already extended 10 years, I highly doubt he gets another extension until at least 2028.
    Jesus 10 years!? Okay nah the Chiefs are geniuses because once Allen, Mayfield, and Herbert get their deals that 42M hit is gonna look cheap.

Jesus 10 years!? Okay nah the Chiefs are geniuses because once Allen, Mayfield, and Herbert get their deals that 42M hit is gonna look cheap.
    I mean Watson got resigned after Mahomes extension and got less per year for less years. So with the cap likely going down a bit next year it is quite likely Mahomes has the biggest hit per year on average by 2023.

I mean Watson got resigned after Mahomes extension and got less per year for less years. So with the cap likely going down a bit next year it is quite likely Mahomes has the biggest hit per year on average by 2023.
    Ya--looks that way. The good news being that the NFL has new TV rights kicking in in 2023, as they all expire in 2022. No clue what the numbers will be, but it will no doubt offer up a very healthy increase in the salary cap. The wild card is if it spikes way up right away or the NFL chooses to smooth it out--but in either case 2023 should be a nice bump to absorb the initial hit of his deal.
    Last edited by Espo; 2021-01-25 at 10:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it took only about 24 hours for the sports world to be on fire with "what teams could trade for Aaron Rodgers." I've heard Dallas, the Rams, and the 49ers already as teams that "should make an offer."

https://overthecap.com/player/patrick-mahomes/5594/

Not really that bad honestly. If the salary cap keeps growing they will be good. A crap ton of guaranteed money there. After that concussion/sleeper hold that knocked him out of the game, Andy Reid might not want to run the option much anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    Anyone else have the feeling we might be in store for a repeat of Super Bowl LIII?

I just have this feeling that the Bucs will pressure Mahomes and disrupt the Chiefs enough to slow them down (can shut down the run game and get to the QB), while Brady will do just enough to win against a Chiefs defense that was average at pressuring the QB and against the run.
    Especially with the Chiefs offensive line injuries, I agree here. Hopefully its a good game. The divisional and championship round was pretty boring this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Especially with the Chiefs offensive line injuries, I agree here. Hopefully its a good game. The divisional and championship round was pretty boring this year.
    Just saw that KC is down their LT now, so I really do worry that the Bucs pass rush will overwhelm the Chiefs. Which would suck if Brady gets all the credit for winning due to the Bucs pass rush shutting down the KC offense with pressure and turnovers.

Just saw that KC is down their LT now, so I really do worry that the Bucs pass rush will overwhelm the Chiefs. Which would suck if Brady gets all the credit for winning due to the Bucs pass rush shutting down the KC offense with pressure and turnovers.
    A pass rush? I need to tell the Bills staff about this revolutionary concept
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait for it. Bucs win with 3 turnovers, one of which is a pick 6, and Brady gets MVP with 0 TDs thrown. Admittedly I remember us saying that before SB50 about Manning, too, and the voters did the right thing.

Can't wait for it. Bucs win with 3 turnovers, one of which is a pick 6, and Brady gets MVP with 0 TDs thrown. Admittedly I remember us saying that before SB50 about Manning, too, and the voters did the right thing.
    You forgot that he either gets knocked out at the beginning of the 2nd quarter or pulled after the 3rd INT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    You forgot that he either gets knocked out at the beginning of the 2nd quarter or pulled after the 3rd INT.
    Nah I mean their D picks Mahomes 3 times and that powers them to the win, but Brady gets MVP anyway despite doing nothing.

Brady > Belichick
    Change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Brady > Belichick
    Change my mind.
    Helps if you know winning in the NFL is entirely a team effort and no single player changes that despite what the click bait artists say for clicks. The Bucs have an insanely stacked roster, and Brady is not even anywhere near the reason they made it to the SB. The Patriots roster was arguably the worst in the league. The fact that they won 7 games says a lot about his coaching ability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brady > Belichick
    Change my mind.
    Yes, and both are GOATs as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and both are GOATs as well.
    Agree with the second, idk about the first. Not fair to judge on a single year. I think Brady cemented he was at least 50%, how belichick does the next few years will determine his part. As a comic fan having to listen to people argue about lee vs Kirby I’ve learned some people always want to insist one person was responsible for 90%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Brady > Belichick
    Change my mind.
    Without Brady, Belichick was able to steer a Matt Cassell-lead team to an 11-5 record and barely missing the playoffs via tiebreakers, marking just the third time in the Super Bowl era an 11-5 team missed the playoffs (the others were denver in '85 and Baltimore in '67). And all it took was two other 11+ win wild-card teams and one of the 3 times in Brady's entire career where two of their 3 division rivals had winning records (the other times being 2001 and 2004 when they won the Super Bowl). His first losing season in more than 2 decades involved losing a league-high number of players to COVID opt-outs, losing half of their AV from defensive starters, and something in the realm of 3/4s of their snap production (ie: players who where on the field for a down).

Without Belichick, Brady was able to lead a team with the top passing attack, rushing defense, and pressure defense (QB hits, knockdowns, sacks, passes defended) from the prior year to a Super Bowl, and has had the most consistently good defense of any QB during the last 20 years (most top-10 defenses, best scoring defense over that span, etc).

At best it's still too early to say who was more integral to their success. In his first season without Belichick, Brady has had to lean on his defense to make it through the playoffs. In his first full season without Brady, Belichick survived such roster churn that most teams would consider it a full-on rebuild and/or have fired the coach during the season and managed to win 7 games and lost another 4 games by 7 or less points.

So maybe at least wait to see if Brady can keep producing once the Bucs lose half their playmakers to free agency and Belichick has a chance to rebuild with all the cap space they'll have before trying to crown one more better than the other. Everyone should know by now that you can't judge a career off of a single season (hello Case Keenum, Cadillac Williams, Matt Kalil, Vince Young, etc, etc).
    Last edited by Brubear; 2021-01-27 at 05:20 AM.