Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's the issue. The only result of the case would be the courts saying "well, you can't do that". It's actually one of the things that I'm really hoping Congress and the Biden administration does: fixing a lot of rules/norms that don't actually have any mechanism of enforcement.
    At best the remedy would be removal from office, and we're coming up on a week too late for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    At best the remedy would be removal from office, and we're coming up on a week too late for that.
    If we're talking about emoluments, the remedy is "give back all the illegal money". Trump gets to keep it.

On topic: yet another arrest. Some guy named Straka (a mix of the two worst Mortal Kombat characters) who founded a movement to get Democrats to leave their party and vote for Trump (not as laughable as it seems, he did it in 2016 after the Bernie issue) this time.

Turns out he posted a video of himself announcing he was going in, tried to delete it, and the internet never forgets.

Legal Eagle did a short on why the cases were dismissed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underbottom View Post
    Legal Eagle did a short on why the cases were dismissed.
    Okay, with that context about the money I understand. Shoulda moved faster, guys.

LMAO
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Note: Office of the Former President

Singular.

It's seriously getting more and more pathetic the more I look at it and think about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Note: Office of the Former President

Singular.

It's seriously getting more and more pathetic the more I look at it and think about it.
    Do you think that there are any laws regarding the use of the presidential seal on documents for an official capacity when you aren't the president?

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Do you think that there are any laws regarding the use of the presidential seal on documents for an official capacity when you aren't the president?
    TIL the "seal" isn't the actual image itself, but the actual seal used on documents to stamp them. Everything else is just the emblem.

ANYWAYS

I haven't the foggiest. I'm not sure what the rules/laws are when it comes to former presidents continuing to use the emblem and I couldn't find much with a quick search.

Time for the Monday short report...

152,244 new cases; about 2k more than last Monday. Hmm. Nebraska hasn't reported in yet.

1,897 deaths is nearly 400 more than last Monday, bringing the total to 431,392. Sometimes Mondays are a catchup day for deaths not reported over the weekend, so let's hope this is one of those times given that Saturday and Sunday were about on par with the previous weekend.

Related news:

California lifts some COVID restrictions as state continues to be hard-hit

Cuomo says New York can begin to loosen restrictions: 'Don't get cocky with COVID'

Given that both states continue to post daily new case reports in the 10's of thousands I'm not exactly thrilled by this. Perhaps it's a case of cracking open the pressure valve to prevent pent up unrest from boiling over, but I'd say--given that less than 10% of the US has been vaccinated--it's still too early to be easing up. Time will tell how well these decisions age.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man, I hope so. He should totally use that golf club one from last year

- - - Updated - - -

Remember the disinfectant thing? Fauci does.

You're going to have people who hear that from the President and they're going to start doing dangerous and foolish things, which is the reason why, immediately, those of us who were not there said, 'This is something you should not do.' Be very explicit. The CDC came out, I think, the next day and put in one of their publications, 'Do not do this,'
    We've been talking about Dr. Birx and how she basically snuck out of the White House to inform people behind Trump's back. Dr. Fauci told people immediately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Impersonating public officials usually is illegal, if the seal is completely identical it wouldn't be shocking if that's added to the pile of things he's in legal hot water over.
    Last edited by zealo; 2021-01-26 at 05:06 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    So, The FL-Man Donald opened up some post-President offices this week. The Office will be responsible for managing President Trump's correspondence, public statements, appearances, and official activities.

The article continues that the office will also "advance the interests of the United States and to carry on the agenda of the Trump Administration through advocacy, organising, and public activism"...weird how they say all that without using the word grift. How is Trump getting his message out without Twitter again (my moniker aged well, thank you to all who noticed).

Anywho...continuing. In farewell remarks on his last day as president last Wednesday, Mr Trump told supporters: "We will be back in some form."

Do bail hearings count as being back?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    So, The FL-Man Donald opened up some post-President offices this week.
    Remember when Trump signed the Contract with the American Voter?

Now he's weeping himself to sleep, alone, every night -- and at least pretending to advance his policies, from the "Bold move Cotton" position of having no direct power, a Democrat House, a Democrat Senate, Biden/Harris in his chair, and staring down multiple lawsuits, possible criminal charges, and a historic second impeachment.

Like, if he couldn't get it done while in office, what makes him think he'll get a damn thing done now?

Or, more realistically, if he could have done something but chose not to, why would anyone believe his proclaimed intentions now enough to give him money?

I mean, doesn't "grift" imply some kind of result? Right now Trump is so powerless he couldn't find his dick with both hands and a Twitter account. He could mobilize the last few followers who both haven't been arrested, and also, aren't waiting for Nicholas Cage to come out of the Oval Office and declare martial law.

How many times does Trump have to fail to provide that which he promised, before it finally sinks in? I think we might finally be hitting that point.

P.S. I'm waiting for Obama to say something about the Office of the Ex-President. Maybe something like "I'm in the Office of Ex-Presidents, plural. W and I were hanging out and Bill and Jimmy are due later. We'd invite you to our club, but, looks like you have your own. Should make it easy to social distance!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Remember when Trump signed the Contract with the American Voter?

Now he's weeping himself to sleep, alone, every night -- and at least pretending to advance his policies, from the "Bold move Cotton" position of having no direct power, a Democrat House, a Democrat Senate, Biden/Harris in his chair, and staring down multiple lawsuits, possible criminal charges, and a historic second impeachment.

Like, if he couldn't get it done while in office, what makes him think he'll get a damn thing done now?

Or, more realistically, if he could have done something but chose not to, why would anyone believe his proclaimed intentions now enough to give him money?

I mean, doesn't "grift" imply some kind of result? Right now Trump is so powerless he couldn't find his dick with both hands and a Twitter account. He could mobilize the last few followers who both haven't been arrested, and also, aren't waiting for Nicholas Cage to come out of the Oval Office and declare martial law.

How many times does Trump have to fail to provide that which he promised, before it finally sinks in? I think we might finally be hitting that point.

P.S. I'm waiting for Obama to say something about the Office of the Ex-President. Maybe something like "I'm in the Office of Ex-Presidents, plural. W and I were hanging out and Bill and Jimmy are due later. We'd invite you to our club, but, looks like you have your own. Should make it easy to social distance!"
    "Grift" in the sense that he'll continue to use it as a way to fleece money from his moronic followers with the vaguest suggestion of that going to some nebulous political action, while in reality he simply pockets the money.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    LMAO
    [IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsnmxiDXYAAtDFx?format=jpg&name=small[IMG]

Literally never. Not before he was president, not during his administration, and no way as hell after he's out. Other politicians at least pretend to care about the rest of the country...Trump couldn't even accomplish that.

i didnt know hawley was a true believer i just thought he was an opportunist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    "Grift" in the sense that he'll continue to use it as a way to fleece money from his moronic followers with the vaguest suggestion of that going to some nebulous political action, while in reality he simply pockets the money.
    Basically, this is why at the last minute Trump rescinded his restriction on post-administration lobbying: so he can get some himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    LMAO
    [IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsnmxiDXYAAtDFx?format=jpg&name=small[/G]
    Oh look, another account Twitter has to block.

The Trump Supporters around here who've created 154082 alt accounts really do take after their idol.

10+ Year Old Account
    This just popped into my head...

Trump supporters wanted Camelot, but got animal farm instead.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Can't wait to see what their "organizing" and "public activism" ends up being.
    Almost certainly the same as holding up a piece of cardboard with "WILL RALLY FOR MONEY" written in Sharpie.