Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The big issue is that every expac had us feeling like we were going to a far-off land, or at least a place with culture and some common underlying things to tie it together. Nothing in SL is connected and I know that's the point, but now everything feels disjointed. It doesn't feel like a new continent - just 4 big patch zones unrelated to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    The big issue is that every expac had us feeling like we were going to a far-off land, or at least a place with culture and some common underlying things to tie it together. Nothing in SL is connected and I know that's the point, but now everything feels disjointed. It doesn't feel like a new continent - just 4 big patch zones unrelated to one another.
    Cataclysm syndrome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belicus View Post
    Previous expansions all added new places and creatures, but they brought existing elements there as well. You would find the classic races of Azeroth building settlements there, you'd see murlocs, goblin towns, human castles and so on.
    Shadowlands doesn't have any of that. It's all completely different to the point where it feels like I'm playing some chinese knockoff of wow.
    Even the loading screen looks more like something out of Narnia and that movie sucked.
    Also, the fact that they added a bunch of existing characters that just sit in a corner in Oribos doesn't help.

This is my main gripe with the expansion and wanted to ask if anyone feels the same way.
    Now now... Do you want to be chased out of Maw by a pack of Mawshorn Murlocs ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    Now now... Do you want to be chased out of Maw by a pack of Mawshorn Murlocs ???
    Mawrlocs. Mawrrglrglr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Mawrlocs. Mawrrglrglr.
    Where do the Murloc spirits end anyways if not in the Maw? Kyrian Murlocs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feels more WoW than TBC ever did.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by vian View Post
    Feels more WoW than TBC ever did.
    You're so edgy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    Nope, he's not alone. Shadowlands isn't Warcraft, it's even more alien to the franchise than the asian Mists of Pandaria setting.
    Well considering Pandaren have been around since WoW was even a thing, you just proved you're one of the ones who want to hate on it for hates sake.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    No. MoP didn't feel like World of Warcraft.
    Let me guess...you think MoP ripped off Kung Fu Panda?

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh, I'm of the opposite opinion, Shadowlands feels too similiar to already existing themes, concepts and creatures to be a whole new realm of existance.
    Blizzard's cutting corners again? Yare Yare Daze...

Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    Huh, I'm of the opposite opinion, Shadowlands feels too similiar to already existing themes, concepts and creatures to be a whole new realm of existance.
    Well, it is a realm that explicitly draws a significant portion of its population from the one we already know, so that actually makes some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vluggedaafie View Post
    Counterquestion where do you see the game go if they don't introduce new stuff?
    It's normal to introduce new stuff if it's in the same vein as the stuff they've already made. You'd expect a clothing company to come up with new clothes, not with a kebab.
    Shadowlands feels like some new writers wanted to tell THEIR story, but to an existing Warcraft crowd. The whole expansion basically feels like they hijacked the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    Wow, stop being so insufferable. MMO forums is not one person. Blindly disagreeing with every negative opinion doesn't make you superior. Their opinion is as just valid as anyone else's. Just because they don't like some aspect of it doesn't mean they hate the game. How weird would that be if people loved every little thing about WoW in its 15 year lifespan? Now that would be unusual. Let people discuss everything
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    That's cute. I'm insufferable? Can you please tell me where I said anybody's opinion is invalid? Or that they "hate the game"? Right, you can't. Because I didn't. I simply made an observation that a sample size of "this thread" is probably a bad way to support an argument.
    I had the exact same feeling as bagina, reading the first few pages of this thread. I wanted to log in for the first time years just for this. The following comments are the reason I feel discussions in this forum suck sometimes.

Nah, pretty sure it's just you buddy.
    Yes, because people on WoW forums are known for their uniquely positive takes and none of them ever complain for the sake of complaining. In fact, it's ridiculous to even suggest the possibility!
    Sorry dude, I have a hard time believing this many people are legitimately surprised an expansion set in the fictional version of the afterlife... feels like an expansion set in the fictional version of the afterlife. Some real don't dead open inside in this thread.
    Yeah dude, your way of communicating is really insufferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    ... where you find a new variation of 10 UNDEAD bear asses.
    Well, technically this time we're being asked to get 10 dead bear asses. Death bear asses? No, that'd just be normal bear asses...

Previous expansions all added new places and creatures, but they brought existing elements there as well. You would find the classic races of Azeroth building settlements there, you'd see murlocs, goblin towns, human castles and so on.
    Shadowlands doesn't have any of that. It's all completely different to the point where it feels like I'm playing some chinese knockoff of wow.
    Even the loading screen looks more like something out of Narnia and that movie sucked.
    Also, the fact that they added a bunch of existing characters that just sit in a corner in Oribos doesn't help.

This is my main gripe with the expansion and wanted to ask if anyone feels the same way.
    Yep this expansion is the first big step in transforming this game into some asian game. For me this expansion is shit. WOD considered the worst is way better. The lore is getting worse by each expansion and makes absolutely no sense.
    But as an MMO it's the same old thing - level, do dungeons, do raids, some pvp and farm the same crap all over again under a different name.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    Nope, he's not alone. Shadowlands isn't Warcraft, it's even more alien to the franchise than the asian Mists of Pandaria setting.
    MOP did not have the feeling of an asian game and it fit well into WOW even though the thematic represented the chinese culture.
    Last edited by Soimu; 2021-01-27 at 10:58 AM.

The Shadowlands feel too... earthly, if I had to say something about it. Heck, they could just have taken inspiration from surrealism or other artistic movements and make it look less conventional and unnatural feel, or give it a more "ethereal" flavor: why blue humans with wings? I honestly think that interacting with -silly example- a simple luminous-talking-quadrate race would have felt stranger and less earthly.

Everything there, maybe except the Maw, feels too "fleshy" -if you get what I mean- and could have fit in any other part of Azeroth we didn't still discover or in another planet out there in the cosmos.

Like, if you were shown pictures of the different zones without being told about those pictures being of the Shadowlands... would you say it is some kind of afterlife?

There was one of the art concepts that were liked that I think belonged to Bastion -or maybe Oribos- which looked a lot more ethereal... they should have kept that vibe imo.

It's normal to introduce new stuff if it's in the same vein as the stuff they've already made. You'd expect a clothing company to come up with new clothes, not with a kebab.
    Shadowlands feels like some new writers wanted to tell THEIR story, but to an existing Warcraft crowd. The whole expansion basically feels like they hijacked the setting.
    You are absolutely the worst at analogies. If WoW is a kebab then Shadowlands is a chicken kebab. Same thing, slightly different flavour. Even has most of the same options of salad and sauce. The Shadowlands stuff was all set up in the Warcraft Chronicle written by Chris Metzen who isn't exactly a new writer and it seems pretty disingenuous to say he's hijacked the setting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    Yep this expansion is the first big step in transforming this game into some asian game. For me this expansion is shit. WOD considered the worst is way better. The lore is getting worse by each expansion and makes absolutely no sense.
    But as an MMO is the same old thing - level, do dungeons, do raids, some pvp and farm the same crap all over again under a different name.
    What exactly makes it an Asian game, can you give examples? For the most part it seems to be copying the ideas laid down in D&D's Manual of the Planes and Planescape campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    You are absolutely the worst at analogies. If WoW is a kebab then Shadowlands is a chicken kebab. Same thing, slightly different flavour. Even has most of the same options of salad and sauce. The Shadowlands stuff was all set up in the Warcraft Chronicle written by Chris Metzen who isn't exactly a new writer and it seems pretty disingenuous to say he's hijacked the setting.

- - - Updated - - -

What exactly makes it an Asian game, can you give examples? For the most part it seems to be copying the ideas laid down in D&D's Manual of the Planes and Planescape campaign.
    the thematic (bastion with kyrians, ardenweald with its weird creatures), and flashy combat with big weapons
    if you compare classic wow with current wow you will notice the difference in combat visuals and no its not about the upgraded graphics
    Last edited by Soimu; 2021-01-27 at 11:08 AM.

WoW doesn't feel like Warcraft since Wotlk...

Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    the thematic (bastion with kyrians, ardenweald with its weird creatures), and flashy combat with big weapons
    if you compare classic wow with current wow you will notice the difference in combat visuals and no its not about the upgraded graphics
    So copying some of the planes from D&D (which arguably started with the Emerald Dream) while continuing to make flashier spells with oversized weapons (weapon size peaked in WotLK with single-handers dwarfing Vanilla's two-handers) suddenly makes it an Asian game?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by uncl55 View Post
    WoW doesn't feel like Warcraft since Wotlk...
    Warcraft doesn't feel like Warcraft since WoW...