Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    Demon Hunters could have been added to TBC, but they weren't. However, TBC was far from the end of the Legion. Legion was the ultimate expansion for the demonic threat, perfect scenario to introduce them. If they weren't then I seriously doubt we'd get DH's in BFA or SL.

Since SL = Legion in the terms of the ultimate conclusion to a specific foe, then chances are that necros won't be a thing. If the ULTIMATE death expansion didn't give necro in teh way the ULTIMATE legion expansion gave Demon Hunters, then necro fans are sool.
    Source? For any of this? But specifically the bolded. What evidence do you have that this will be the ultimate expansion dealing with this theme?

Also, as @Ielenia has said multiple times. This expansion is not about Death, it's about the Afterlife. Those are not the same thing., similar and related, yes, but not the same.

As I said before, your entire premise is based on an assumption that is not supported by any evidence right now. This is your head canon.

Since SL = Legion in the terms of the ultimate conclusion to a specific foe, then chances are that necros won't be a thing. If the ULTIMATE death expansion didn't give necro in teh way the ULTIMATE legion expansion gave Demon Hunters, then necro fans are sool.
    You've misinterpretted what the devs have said though.

"I’ll also add that when we’re making those choices for classes and races and things like that, a lot of it’s informed by setting and story"

It's not that a Class has to fit the THEME of an expansion, it's that they are informed by setting and story. If we think about it in these terms, then Necromancers and Dark Rangers don't really have a place when the setting and story of Shadowlands is focused on exploring the 4 very different Realms, each with their own themes and goals. It's not just about a Death-themed class having to be introduced in a Death themed expansion; it's about their relevance to the bigger picture.

Necromancers have relatively little to associate themselves with Bastion and Ardenweald; they would only be relevant to Maldraxxus and even then Maldraxxus is heavily themed on ongoing war and conflict rather than the pursuit of mastery over Undeath.

Dark Rangers definitely have the Sylvanas connection, and I think it would have been perfect for them. However with the direction of the story they wish to go in with Shadowlands, it does seem like the Covenants system would make more sense for exploring the realms and powers and having it applied to everyone. I don't see this conflicting with Dark Rangers, so I do see this in particular being a missed opportunity. But missing an opportunity is not the same as 'not going to be a thing', we don't fully know the fate of Sylvanas or the Dark Rangers that are now left leaderless.

Races are treated in a similar way where they have to be informed by Setting and Story. And to be very honest, when it comes to setting and story, it goes both ways to how they wish to tie them into the expansion.

Look at Highmountain and Mag'har joining the Horde. We could say that they should have joined in their respective expansions, and after that there's no reason for them to be introduced into the Horde. They lost their chance, right? And then a Horde/Alliance conflict ends up bringing them into the Horde, under Sylvanas' rule no less, and for little reason other than just because. The reasons why these guys joined may have been flimsy, but it still fits the setting and story of BFA more than it would the overall Theme of the expansion. Same can be said of Worgen and Goblins being added back in Cataclysm; they had zero direct connection to Deathwing or the Twilights Hammer shenanigans.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-01-27 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Source? For any of this? But specifically the bolded. What evidence do you have that this will be the ultimate expansion dealing with this theme?

Also, as @Ielenia has said multiple times. This expansion is not about Death, it's about the Afterlife. Those are not the same thing., similar and related, yes, but not the same.

As I said before, your entire premise is based on an assumption that is not supported by any evidence right now. This is your head canon.
    I mean the shadowlands are the cosmic domain of DEATH. Call it what you will but that's what we're fighting against. You can't really top this in terms of story telling. Like who the hell is above the Jailor, Arbitor, and the rest of the Eternal Ones when it comes to death. I don't need a source, not because lack of it but because its just common sense if you follow the story.

Just like how in Legion we dealt with Sargeras himself and freaking Argus, who was the reason the Legion had an infinite army. You're telling me there's a chance of ANOTHER Demon/legion centric expansion after Legion? Come on... Same logic with SL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    You've misinterpretted what the devs have said though.

"I’ll also add that when we’re making those choices for classes and races and things like that, a lot of it’s informed by setting and story"

It's not that a Class has to fit the THEME of an expansion, it's that they are informed by setting and story. If we think about it in these terms, then Necromancers and Dark Rangers don't really have a place when the setting and story of Shadowlands is focused on exploring the 4 very different Realms, each with their own themes and goals. It's not just about a Death-themed class having to be introduced in a Death themed expansion; it's about their relevance to the bigger picture.

Necromancers have relatively little to associate themselves with Bastion and Ardenweald; they would only be relevant to Maldraxxus and even then Maldraxxus is heavily themed on ongoing war and conflict rather than the pursuit of mastery over Undeath.

Dark Rangers definitely have the Sylvanas connection, and I think it would have been perfect for them. However with the direction of the story they wish to go in with Shadowlands, it does seem like the Covenants system would make more sense for exploring the realms and powers and having it applied to everyone. I don't see this conflicting with Dark Rangers, so I do see this in particular being a missed opportunity. But missing an opportunity is not the same as 'not going to be a thing', we don't fully know the fate of Sylvanas or the Dark Rangers that are now left leaderless.

Races are treated in a similar way where they have to be informed by Setting and Story. And to be very honest, when it comes to setting and story, it goes both ways to how they wish to tie them into the expansion.

Look at Highmountain and Mag'har joining the Horde. We could say that they should have joined in their respective expansions, and after that there's no reason for them to be introduced into the Horde. They lost their chance, right? And then a Horde/Alliance conflict ends up bringing them into the Horde, under Sylvanas' rule no less, and for little reason other than just because. The reasons why these guys joined may have been flimsy, but it still fits the setting and story of BFA more than it would the overall Theme of the expansion. Same can be said of Worgen and Goblins being added back in Cataclysm; they had zero direct connection to Deathwing or the Twilights Hammer shenanigans.
    I doubt its like "Pitching story" followed by "oh snap this would help introduce this class". I think it's more like "we wanna tell this story AND make this class, how do we make it work?" I mean adding class is a tremendous permanent change to the game. There has to be a balance between wanting to tel la story and adding a class and I don't see how they can do that well with DR and necro following SL.

This is why I'm personally convinced necros and DR's wont see the light of day as their own class. Sure there's always a chance blizzard could stray from their formulas but there's no reason to use it as an argument unless for the sake of being a devil's advocate.

That being said. The dragon Isles will most likely be the staging ground for 10.0. Dragons are making a comback, Ysera had a big epic return, and the red dragonflight will most likely have a roll to play in SL, given that they're the guardians of life and that Bolvar, the face of the expansion, is literally covered in red dragon fire, which will most likely be exploited somehow. On top of the dragon isles being name dropped for the first time in BFA.

Sinestra is still out there in the great dark. Her and the twilight dragonflight and twilight's hammer can be perfect antagonists for the dragon isles. They'll be used as heralds to the void lords which will prob be 11.0.

The way I see it, The aspects will get their powers back somehow from the dragon isles. Sinestra will also become the twilight aspect and display how powerful the void is. Nozy will go crazy and turn into murozond and create the infinite dragonflight and will be the end boss, summon AU versions of azeroth's heros.

We defeat him but he manages to Summon Yrel without our knowledge. She and the lightbound then arrive in Azeroth and attempt to recruit the forces of azeroth against the void. She successful in recruiting the scarlet crusade but fails with the horde and alliance due to her zealotry.

AU Garrosh then steals the power of the Sunwell with a shard of the Light Mother while Yrel steals the Vindiccar and use it to travel to K'aresh for 11.0

I'm telling you it's perfect.
    Dark Ranger will not see the light of day as its own class. It will see the light of day as its own spec.

Demon Hunters could have been added to TBC, but they weren't. However, TBC was far from the end of the Legion. Legion was the ultimate expansion for the demonic threat, perfect scenario to introduce them. If they weren't then I seriously doubt we'd get DH's in BFA or SL.

Sargeras is still out there. Everything that is imprisoned in WoW is bound to be released at some point: *Ahem* Illidan *Ahem*

I agree, a lot of that does seem like it'd be likely. Right now my money's on Dragon Isles -> K'aresh too, but honestly we'll never know.
    These are possible places we might see in the future, as they are not present (or, not fully) in the game:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-in-the-future

I mean the shadowlands are the cosmic domain of DEATH. Call it what you will but that's what we're fighting against. You can't really top this in terms of story telling. Like who the hell is above the Jailor, Arbitor, and the rest of the Eternal Ones when it comes to death. I don't need a source, not because lack of it but because its just common sense if you follow the story.

Just like how in Legion we dealt with Sargeras himself and freaking Argus, who was the reason the Legion had an infinite army. You're telling me there's a chance of ANOTHER Demon/legion centric expansion after Legion? Come on... Same logic with SL.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt its like "Pitching story" followed by "oh snap this would help introduce this class". I think it's more like "we wanna tell this story AND make this class, how do we make it work?" I mean adding class is a tremendous permanent change to the game. There has to be a balance between wanting to tel la story and adding a class and I don't see how they can do that well with DR and necro following SL.
    We never thought they could top the Lich King in terms of big Death baddy guy. And yet, they came up with Shadowlands and the Jailer, Which are recent additions. If you can't see into the future, that's because you lack imagination and faith in Blizzard, not because it cannot happen.

We didn't, actually, dealt with Sargeras. We imprisoned him. That's far from over on his part. He might be an ally in the fight against the Void.

As for Dark Rangers - i, already, explained above how they could be integrated in an elf-centered expansion.
    Last edited by username993720; 2021-01-27 at 09:14 PM.

The Legion lore is well established, who was behind it and what it would take to stop it.

The same cannot yet be said for the realms of death, we're not 100% sure we know everything there is to know about it. Additionally, we've only seen 4 of the endless numbers of realms there are, how do we know some other threat won't rear it's ugly head in the future?

I'm not claiming you're wrong, I'm saying there's nothing supporting you're argument at this time that this is the end all be all of expansions touching on the theme and therefore no way to conclusively state what will or will not happen in the future.

you honestly expect another death expansion?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Class skins, IMO, are the best way to introduce any of those B-tier concepts in the future.

As for the pitches... There isn't really any pattern or methodology to how they decide things.

I mean from what we've learned from development over the years, it's a mix of the two.

Mists of Pandaria introducing Pandaren was something planned since TBC. Pandaren would have been introduced in TBC if not for some rights issues in China complicating the matter. All of this is sourced at MOP announcement interviews; TBC had Pandaren planned and were shifted to Draenei simply due to the circumstances. How Pandaren would have fit into TBC story or setting, I'm not quite sure, but considering they made Blood Elves fit on the Horde...

Then we have Warlords of Draenor's whole Mongrel Horde concepts leading to ressurecting the Orc Chieftains leading to Alternate Reality/Timeline Draenor. All those concepts were progressed on a 'Rule of Cool' means of leading them to the final result, and I'm not sure what exactly drives the 'Story and Setting' if so many stories and settings can be explored to reach to this one result. How many versions of Shadowlands could there have been before they reached on the 4 realms we see today? And was a new class not significant enough to warrant full exploration? We'll never really know until a post-mortem explains it to us. Same as what we know of Demon Hunters and Pandarens today, everything was speculatory until they were finally added.

I personally don't think they are out because Class Skins being addressed similarly to Allied Races would be a perfect way to introduce any number of classes that would otherwise get zero development. Necromancers, Runemasters, Dark Rangers, Bards, Witchdoctors, Blademasters; anything and everything that people have been asking for but would never get because there is no place for them in a new expansion setting. That would change if they chose a setting that made sense for a bunch of new classes to be added all at the same time.

As much as I want a new class, and as much as I like Dragonsworn and Tinkers, I think there's great benefit for adding a half-dozen B-tier classes to the game as well. Heck, it would go hand-in-hand with a potential world revamp or timeskip too, which might happen after Shadowlands is said and done.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-01-27 at 09:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean the shadowlands are the cosmic domain of DEATH. Call it what you will but that's what we're fighting against. You can't really top this in terms of story telling.
    But we don't have to. In Vanilla, we fought Old Gods... then went to defeat Illidan who was amassing a small (by comparison) army of demons, naga and broken in TBC. All threats don't have to be cosmic in scale, or ever grow in power. We can have "local" threats, too. Like Garrosh.

Demons don't need Argus to be "infinite". Demons always respawn in the Twisting Nether. Sargeras just used Argus to speed up the process. Argus was a catalyst, not the process. And while it's true that the Legion itself is dismantled, a considerable number, I'd even venture it's the majority of the demons are still free in other planets. Isolated, since their portal network was destroyed, but still free. So technically there still IS a chance for a demon group wanting revenge, although I wouldn't say they're great chances.

I doubt its like "Pitching story" followed by "oh snap this would help introduce this class". I think it's more like "we wanna tell this story AND make this class, how do we make it work?"
    What Blizzard says literally proves it's the former, not the latter. They literally said "how about we have the players enter and fix the afterlife?" and followed by "hm, no class really feel really right to add right now".
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post

What Blizzard says literally proves it's the former, not the latter. They literally said "how about we have the players enter and fix the afterlife?" and followed by "hm, no class really feel really right to add right now".
    Man I refuse to believe that, not you but them. Dark Ranger could have easily fit the story of SL. Hell even better, make it DR for Horde and Void ranger for Alliance. The DR's want revenge against Sylvy while Alleria trains the VR for the same purpose. VR/DR only differ in cosmetics to avoid balance issues. Or DR for both works too with the DR's from darkshore making up the DR forces for the alliance.

The reason why they didn't happen is because they don't want DR's as a class. Why? Who knows. Perhaps they want them as class skins along with necros or maybe as 4th specs. All I know is that DR would have been perfect for this expansion, story wise, more so than necros. hell even saurfang vs sylv shows they could have had a melee spec. Anything Blizz says against that is BS and typical lawyer talk for "we just didn't want to or have better plans."
    Last edited by Varx; 2021-01-27 at 10:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man I refuse to believe that, not you but them. Dark Ranger could have easily fit the story of SL.
    You do know that the the story is being presented to us would have to be MASSIVELY CHANGED to fit a dark ranger group into it, right? Because remember: the Knights of the Ebon Blade are merely just portal-keepers and exposition dumpers at the moment. Bolvar just sits at Oribos and says "go rescue them" a few times to you. We see no death knight... hell, we don't see any living mortal around the other afterlife zones aside from other players.

The story would have to be changed to include a group that would have to be introduced AND developed through the expansion, meaning it would have to be relevant and active in the story at least until the first tier of raiding is done.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

I think they considered necromancers for SL, but decided it roll that theme into the Covenant system and just make all of Maldraxxus instead. Not including them or even dark rangers (which would have also fit in SL) had more do to with how they were designing their systems this time rather than any lore considerations. This is also probably the reason why San'layn didn't become playable, they just expanded that theme into a whole Covenant. The bad part is, if you wanted necromancers or San'layn, now you are SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You do know that the the story is being presented to us would have to be MASSIVELY CHANGED to fit a dark ranger group into it, right? Because remember: the Knights of the Ebon Blade are merely just portal-keepers and exposition dumpers at the moment. Bolvar just sits at Oribos and says "go rescue them" a few times to you. We see no death knight... hell, we don't see any living mortal around the other afterlife zones aside from other players.

The story would have to be changed to include a group that would have to be introduced AND developed through the expansion, meaning it would have to be relevant and active in the story at least until the first tier of raiding is done.
    The story won't change much if you add another group trying to find vengeance against sylv, perhaps working with the ebon blade. Sylv already has enough people after her head. One more group wouldn't change much.

The reason why they didn't happen is because they don't want DR's as a class. Why? Who knows.
    You can't claim this.

Think about applying this to Demon Hunters in TBC or Pandarens any time prior to MOP. Could you honestly say they didn't happen because Blizzard didn't want them as playable Class or Race when they could have been added in TBC?

No. They didn't get added for other reasons, and not because Blizzard didn't want them to be made.

You are absolutely being presumptuous by claiming Blizzard doesn't want Dark Rangers as a class. There's no reason to ever jump to this conclusion if you don't actually know what Blizzard wants or doesn't want.

As far as SL goes, the official answer, from multiple sources, is that they chose to explore the Covenant system and focus on Character Customization over adding a new class. We got this explained in a Polygon article as well as a pre-launch interview with some of the writers. Both sources say the same thing, that they wanted to focus on character customization ala WoD rather than add a new class. Nothing was ever said about not wanting a Dark Ranger.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-01-27 at 11:36 PM.

You can't claim this.

Think about applying this to Demon Hunters in TBC or Pandarens any time prior to MOP. Could you honestly say they didn't happen because Blizzard didn't want them as playable Class or Race when they could have been added in TBC?

No. They didn't get added for other reasons, and not because Blizzard didn't want them to be made.

You are absolutely being presumptuous by claiming Blizzard doesn't want Dark Rangers as a class. There's no reason to ever jump to this conclusion if you don't actually know what Blizzard wants or doesn't want.

As far as SL goes, the official answer, from multiple sources, is that they chose to explore the Covenant system and focus on Character Customization over adding a new class. We got this explained in a Polygon article as well as a pre-launch interview with some of the writers. Both sources say the same thing, that they wanted to focus on character customization ala WoD rather than add a new class. Nothing was ever said about not wanting a Dark Ranger.
    Call me cynical then but I just don't buy it. Story wise, SL was the perfect expansion to introduce DRs. Outside of it I only see DRs as a hunter skin which is why I think they're not a class. If this is the plan then blizzard wouldn't wanna spoil it in said interview.

As for DH and panda, at least the legion still being a threat post TBC and pandaria existing at least made it still possible for their introduction. How the hell can a DR or necro be introduced post SL, the ULTIMATE death/sylv centric expansion.
    Last edited by Varx; 2021-01-28 at 12:01 AM.

Call me cynical then but I just don't buy it. Story wise, SL was the perfect expansion to introduce DRs. Outside of it I only see DRs as a hunter skin which is why I think they're not a class. If this is the plan then blizzard wouldn't wanna spoil it in said interview.
    Fair enough

Honestly, PR is PR, so it could go either way. Demon Hunters were also met with the same lukewarm attention when asked about, and frankly a CM even admitted and confirmed having 'no plans' for a Demon Hunter, even though we know now that they would have been planned as far back as TBC, and the Legion expansion should have been pre-planned as far as when those original tweets would have been made. Of course, even a CM isn't privvy to insider developer secrets, so by all means it wasn't exactly a lie, just a matter of PR.

I fully agree that a Dark Ranger would have been perfect for this expansion. As for counting it out, I am also not very convinced that it would make a comeback as a fully playable class for next or next-next expansion. By all means, I thought this expansion should have added a Tinker, especially with BFA ending on Mechagon making it a perfect segue to Tinkers. We didn't get that either.

But I do think the potential for a Dark Ranger is still out there, namely because we don't know what Shadowlands leads up to. There is just as much plausability that Shadowlands is simply building up to what could be a formal introduction of a class later on, just as WoD's whole end-game was a build up to Legion and the reintroduction of Demon Hunters. No one would even be thinking about how Demon Hunters would be connected if we were still in the first half of WoD; even if we knew there were going to be some Legion-related patch/raids coming up. Having Gul'dan survive and make the jump to Azeroth and bring the Legion was something no one could have anticipated to make a cohesive theory that Demon Hunters would be added.

What we have in Shadowlands is Sylvanas planning something big. She wants to break the cycle. We don't know what that means, and how that ties in with future events. Does that mean she wants no one to die any more? How does that affect Death-related classes like Necromancers and Dark Rangers if the cycle of 'Death' gets broken? I think some of these kind of things tie in to exactly why we aren't getting a new Death-themed class, since something big is being planned, perhaps on a greater level than Sylvanas shattering the Helm of Domination. Making Anduin the new LK might be part of that, who knows. I think they're building the story up to be a major game changer though, whatever it may be.

If the changes are big enough, I could see them saving the Dark Ranger for a future expansion to help sell whatever new 'Dark' powers arise out of these changes. We already have multiple new 'Rangers of Darkness' in the game, like Alleria being a Void Elf Ranger or Tyrande taking up the Night Warrior mantle. The last of that would be a further explanation of Sylvanas and her Maw-infused Banshee powers. Could Shadowlands be building a means to unify these themes for the next expansion? We'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-01-28 at 12:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The story won't change much if you add another group trying to find vengeance against sylv, perhaps working with the ebon blade. Sylv already has enough people after her head. One more group wouldn't change much.
    But it would change, and a lot. Because this isn't just a case of "removing a group and replacing it with a dark ranger group", because there IS no group to replace. Meaning the story would have to be severely altered to not only allow a new group in, but also make said group RELEVANT for the story being told.

What are your guys' feelings on new classes being limited to 2 specs? The reason I ask is because as we run out of generic/og classes that are broad enough to fill 3 roles, will a variety of classes with niche appeal/identity be alright with only 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Golgafrinchan View Post
    What are your guys' feelings on new classes being limited to 2 specs? The reason I ask is because as we run out of generic/og classes that are broad enough to fill 3 roles, will a variety of classes with niche appeal/identity be alright with only 2?
    Im fine with it. I would rather have a well thought out and genuinely interesting to play class with 1/2 specs than a generic hunter ripoff with a mechsuit skin with 3 specs. I honestly think i would be fine with a really strongly themed class having only 1 spec, but it might need a little boost to leveling time like the monk got, or a hero class starting higher, just to make sure it wasnt overlooked by too many people. I dont want the game to become LoL with over 100 classes, but some more variety would make me a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Golgafrinchan View Post
    It's a mistake that should be rectified and never repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by The Council View Post
    you honestly expect another death expansion?
    I don't expect anything.

The point is no one KNOWS what's coming next so trying to dictate what can or can't be introduced at some unknown point in the future is nothing but head canon.