Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Biden ending private prisions is insane

Surprised more people arent talking about it
    It was talked ad nauseam a few days ago tho.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So wait. Even though you do think it would be better..... Your saying he is lying cause you didn't outright say it yet? wtf is wrong with you?
    Nothing, I'm calling him out for the numerous straw men he's decided to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wasn't supposed to follow their logic. I should have assumed they were advocating for things they thought would harm society. Duh.

- - - Updated - - -

The only strawman was you demanding an apology when I was accurately portraying your position.
    You literally got caught lying, and still couldn't produce a quote, even in PMs. Have a lovely day!!!

Do you mean insane in a good way...?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    100% sure he means in a bad way. Which is actually insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Wish you would've realized it was a complete waste of time before you started. Because it was then and you've only drug it downhill since. I'm not sure what the term is but you can continue spooging into your own face instead of all over this thread on your own.
    Fair enough, I shouldn't have stuck my nose in halfway through a conversation. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Obviously

10ch

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Remind us again why you think private prisons are good/necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Big swing and a miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Remind us again why you think private prisons are good/necessary?
    He clarified just a few posts ago that he meant "insane" as a positive.

I guess for me, it's just... Yeah, it's unambiguously a good move, but I'm not sure there's much discussion to be had about the decision without just talking about the prison system in and of itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I guess for me, it's just... Yeah, it's unambiguously a good move, but I'm not sure there's much discussion to be had about the decision without just talking about the prison system in and of itself.
    Yeah, we had people defending selling arms to SA, but even though the same arguments can be used for private prisons... no one dares.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Yeah, we had people defending selling arms to SA, but even though the same arguments can be used for private prisons... no one dares.
    That was one hell of a take on the arms sales, though, wasn't it? "Actually, we shouldn't stop selling weapons to countries using them to commit genocide because what if the people making those weapons lost their jobs?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No, I have not read the remaining reply, but I know for a fact that nothing you say will actually be specific about job loss. You only learned about the corporations impacted, not about the people. If you paid for said education and actually passed, you wasted your money... just watch Boeing commercials and you’d be set for free. Maybe revive Halliburton to be discussed and tell us how many jobs rebuilding Iraq made us... how about the jobs that rebuilding Afghanistan made us...

Which isn’t true, because you have not actually said anything about the workers. You are using workers, like people use “think of the children”, with the added caveat that those bombs were used to bomb a school full of children.

It’s so absurd how much you don’t give a shit about workers, is that it takes a bit more effort to google what the fuck you are talking about, than to claim you are educated in it. Based on this and believing that you are educated, what reason do I have to think that you are not just defending something, you know is wrong? Something so wrong, that you either googled to know you are wrong or are refusing to google, because you are wrong.

Then why do you list corporations, when arguing job loss? You are not actually saying anything specific, outside listing the corporation that would lose profits. If you are not arguing profits lost by corporations, resulting in ambiguous job loss, what are you arguing? Hy even bring up the corporations, instead of the job sectors impacted? You went to school for this... my requests should be easy to meet... I also think you would lose points on a test about jobs, where you spend it talking about corporations, without even mentioning a job sector.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that why they are building nuclear facilities for Iran and have done quite a bit geopolitically, to maintain their sales? Russia needs every penny it can get... they would undercut every single deal US makes and sell their sole to the highest bidder, for the chance to sell arms all over the world. All those jobs lost by refusing the peace treaty with Iran... Russia thanks you... lol

If Russian economy could speak... It’s answer to... ‘what would you do to have an arms buyer like SA?’... the answer would be a loud... “anything!!!”...

You went to school for it... but, can’t identify the job sector involved, so you don’t have to rely on corporations? Did you go to Trump university or some shit? Because my independent study class in HS, seems to have been more effective. I got a 98, before Wikipedia and all the web shit at our disposal... /flex

Go ahead... list Russian capabilities and their latest cruise missiles, as they compare to ours. Let’s see if this is another “jobs” or if you have more than corporate talking points.

There are three posters on this forum, that have done this in previous arguments. If you can find theirs, instead of the link readily available info online... you get extra points. As a hint... one of them is perma banned.
    If you don't have orders for your production line, you don't just keep paying people to do nothing. Some may be able to laterally transfer, some may still have enough work to justify keeping. I don't care to spend hours tracking down numbers for a discussion on the internet.

As for listing Russian military capabilities, I have a long standing record of not liking to do research for others. The Russian Kalibur missile is generally equal to the Tomahawk in range (1500km+), warhead (400kg-500kg range), speed (high subsonic), guidance (INS GPS TERCOM), and accuracy (3ish meters). Russian anti-ship missiles are generally larger, have significantly larger warheads, and often are capable of 2X+ the speed of US anti-ship missiles. Russian fighters are generally superior in IVR combat, while US fighters are superior in BVR. Both countries' guided bombs are functionally similar.

Still pushing on that "Biden stopping the sale of weapons to SA is bad because MAH JEEEEEERRRRRRRBBBBBBBBBS" shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I'm not sure the the US government currently has the capability to successfully implement large scale projects. The vaccine is one example where everyone seems surprised about issues that seem like they should be expected obstacles.

The good news is that they are learning fast. They still do a bad job of describing their work to the public. Every problem seems to be described with an underlying theme of "Why are you so incompetent that you are having THIS issue??? WHO MADE THE MISTAKE?"

At least the government is continually moving forward with the project, learning as they go, and vaccine production and distribution seems to be accelerating in a proper manner. And there are no more Trump rallies or weekend high school football games to accelerate the spread of the virus. So this should ultimately lead to success.

Hopefully the people working on this project will turn these efforts into institutional knowledge for future projects.
    The vaccine deployment is also hampered by that fact that Trump lied about his (complete lack of) plans, so Biden & co are having to basically come up with a plan from scratch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    The jobs gained are not worth the extra dead bodies because of a regime we shouldn't be selling weapons to uses them to kill civilians. We're not talking the collapse of Boeing or something that's going to send shock waves through the entire US economy. It's arms sales that could be potentially made up elsewhere.

Whew, jobs considered. That was hard. Those jobs may be lost, doesn't mean those people can't or wont find gainful employment elsewhere or that even if they couldn't we should continue selling to Saudi's.
    For the record, I worked in the aerospace industry, in a factory that made the parts that go into another factory to be assembled into an engine that goes into another factory to be assembled into a plane.

My company lost hundreds of jobs nationwide (none at my plant, as we didn't make any parts for that engine) as a result of the 737 Max debacle. They cut many, many more following COVID and the precipitous drop in air travel caused airlines to cancel orders. This is a plant that makes parts for both civilian and military aircraft.

I'm still out of work, with only a handful of interviews in the last 9+ months. And I was Desktop Support, not actual manufacturing.

Pretending that there is another aerospace manufacturing plant down the road and people can quickly and easily find a comparable job is bogus. Yeah, the welders can find a job welding something else, and the machinists can find a job machining something else (well maybe, depends whether they can actually do the machining or just program a toolpath for the CNC), and the grinders can probably find a job grinding something else, but the work likely won't pay as much, and for many of them, it will be in construction and not as steady, especially in the winter.

I agree that we shouldn't be selling arms to SA (or really anywhere else in the middle east right now, including Israel) due to humanitarian concerns, but there ought to be a plan for the displaced workers before they all get laid off.

Like maybe put them to work fixing the infrastructure of this country, building bridges will need a lot of the same skills (welding, grinding, machining, etc) as well as engineering expertise (though aerospace and civil engineering are wildly different disciplines, I imagine there would be some aerospace engineers happy to switch).
    Last edited by Antiganon; 2021-01-29 at 09:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You literally got caught lying, and still couldn't produce a quote, even in PMs. Have a lovely day!!!
    So you don't think privatizing roads is better?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

So you don't think privatizing roads is better?
    I prefer the privatization of most industries.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I prefer the privatization of most industries.
    It's a yes or no question.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    If you don't have orders for your production line, you don't just keep paying people to do nothing. Some may be able to laterally transfer, some may still have enough work to justify keeping. I don't care to spend hours tracking down numbers for a discussion on the internet.
    Oh... so the marketing team and the CEO will be fired, because they couldn’t keep up the orders to match their slated work force? How will their fuck up be punished, with a raise? If they get fired, that seems like a lot of savings, until you can hire a competent CEO and marketing team, without losing the experience and skill of your existing workers. You know the ones that did nothing wrong to cause the over staffing? Training new workers, when you hire a competent management staff, would make you lose money.

As for listing Russian military capabilities, I have a long standing record of not liking to do research for others.
    Now do someone else’s research, as the info you google, relates to the weapons sold. You can’t even do proper research for your self...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Still pushing on that "Biden stopping the sale of weapons to SA is bad because MAH JEEEEEERRRRRRRBBBBBBBBBS" shit.
    Hey man, just because in most of the Middle East wars, our enemies carry the weapons we sold them... is only a problem if you are not the corporation that in the end... ends up arming both sides...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

It's a yes or no question.
    I do think it's better, but I also don't think people are ready for it, not by a long shot. It would be one of the last things on a very long list that I feel should be privatized.