Thread: Is WoW LOST?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is WoW LOST?

Yeah its a pun.
    So basically, there was this show years back called LOST, im sure many will recognize it. Its opening several episodes were cool to watch and follow building of its setting/plots, but after some time with nothing really getting explained or unraveling and instead even more plots and twists I totally lost interest and stopped giving a ... care. It was a mess.
    What this does have to do with WoW you ask? Well, I got a flashbacks of it following WoW lore for some time. Namely end of WoD. It feels like people responsible for WoW's lore at some point just panicked that they are running of of plots and started to mass produce them. For some ~5years no story came to definitive end. There's sooo many open plots, and nothing seems to be ending anytime soon. I mean, some stories need a good build up and more than 2 dimensions but everything seems to be very blurred at this point.
    Even recent cinematic with Sylvanas where she stated "No more secrets, no more lies"... then proceeds to trashtalk without explaining ANYTHING. I mean if she tries to get Anduin on her side, a simple explanation of her plan and point of view could be more than enough, provided its reasonable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I swear to god if this expansion turns out to be a fever dream, I will nope out of everything Blizzard so hard.

I feel like the two are pretty different. For one, WoW has a lot of external, high-risk threats, while Lost focused more on confronting one's past. Aside from the smoke beast, there wasn't any significant and imminent supernatural threat. While you could draw some parallels, for instance, between Dharma and the Titans as mysterious forces that set up a lot of the mysteries, the overarching goals of Lost were "escape the island" while the equivalent for WoW would be "protect/conquer the island." While Sylvanas as a character tends to keep her motivations obscure even when gloating to other characters, I don't feel it that much with anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've said it before I'll say it again. I really think this expansion is Blizzard's mid-life crisis game. Factor the age of the devs in, and the theme, and the mish-mash of goals/direction/themes and it's like playing through your virtual 40s.

The difference is Lost move from episode to episode and while the story may have lost its way here and there it kept moving forward. With Wow you need to watch the same episode over and over again with slightly more commercials each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Helander View Post
    I swear to god if this expansion turns out to be a fever dream, I will nope out of everything Blizzard so hard.
    The biggest cope out trope in all of story telling!

I'd say WoW suffers from the same problem of every long running franchise, be it Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, etc, they probably never expected the success they ended up with, so they didn't have it planned out that far, but they have to keep coming up with new material, because money. Some have been more successful than others at expanding the story, but at some point they'll all be running on fumes or retconning stuff.

I don't really see it like Lost though, the writers there just seemed quite proud of themselves to keep creating "mysteries", and then hit an "oh shit" moment when they ran out of time to answer things and just did a bunch of hand waving answers or the lame, "explain it yourself" route.

Quote Originally Posted by Helander View Post
    We all say that but we still return at some point regardless

Feeling like a stockholm syndrome now
    An'u belore delen'na

Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    Even recent cinematic with Sylvanas where she stated "No more secrets, no more lies"... then proceeds to trashtalk without explaining ANYTHING. I mean if she tries to get Anduin on her side, a simple explanation of her plan and point of view could be more than enough, provided its reasonable.
    This is a very common contrivance in poorly written media, most obvious examples are from american TV, where characters will have tense dramatic falling outs over trifles, usually misunderstandings or lack of basic communication.

It's a crutch that terrible writers and worldbuilders rely on in order to create very hollow conflict.
    Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2021-01-29 at 02:11 PM.

"Even recent cinematic with Sylvanas where she stated "No more secrets, no more lies"... then proceeds to trashtalk without explaining ANYTHING. I mean if she tries to get Anduin on her side, a simple explanation of her plan and point of view could be more than enough, provided its reasonable." She did explain though. She explains that Life is unfair, and without choice, and that even in death, the Afterlife chooses the reality you have to live in for eternity for you. So, she joined the Jailer, not just because it'll help her out living wise, but also because it'll help her finally break the cycle of Life and Death and give her a choice for the reality she wants to live, rather than the reality she's forced to live.

I'm not trying to defend her here, as I fucking hate her with a burning passion. But, dude, her motivation is right there.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    I'm not trying to defend her here, as I fucking hate her with a burning passion. But, dude, her motivation is right there.
    I disagree, Its still soo vague it doesnt mean anything. I feel its well past time they should start moving the plot.

They offed WoW's main antagonist (Sargeras) and WoW's other main antagonist (N'Zoth) almost back to back. What did you expect? It's almost like both Sargeras and N'Zoth deserved much larger stories that they never got.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    They offed WoW's main antagonist (Sargeras) and WoW's other main antagonist (N'Zoth) almost back to back. What did you expect? It's almost like both Sargeras and N'Zoth deserved much larger stories that they never got.
    Sargeras got the good, larger story, and he's not even dead yet, just imprisoned. So, there's still a lot of storytelling they can do with him, especially since we still have the Void Lords to deal with, as well as his Blade being stuck on Azeroth. They're not done with the Dark Titan's plot, yet. We may even fight him in a mini raid in the Light/Shadow expansion, who knows? Azshara may get a cameo tbh as the new "Goddess of the Deep", but like I said, who knows?

N'Zoth, however...

Yeah. Unless all of 8.3 was a Vision, or unless the Void Lords bring him back in some manner, the dude's gone. His presence is still around, but he himself is gone, sent back to his masters within the Void.

wow doesnt really have plot at this point. they have admitted their focus of writing is to end every patch/raid on a cutscene with a cliffhanger thats gonna make you want to see what comes next by staying subscribed and giving them money each month.

this is why they dragged out explaining any of sylvanas's motivations for 3 years and why we just ended another cutscene with her about to stab anduin. ooo is she gonna stab him or not???? better stick around to the next exciting episode of danuser's garbage heap. whats in the sepulcher? who is the mysterious runecarver? is he the primus, the only possible candidate for his identity? will we ever learn literally any information at all about the jailer or his motivations?

every one of the covenant campaigns ends on a cliffhanger its like lmao dude. maldraxxus resolves nothing and watches kel'thuzad slowly leave in the most embarrassing cinematic blizzard has ever made. night fae is supposedly about saving tyrande but they get 90% of the way there and then stop. its like lmao come on blizzard can u give us closure on even 1 thing. just 1 thing. and not drag everything out with a tune in next time moment. u have spent so fucking long not explaining anything sylvanas did and promising it would be explained later that i no longer give any fucks. this is why ppl are sick of her and just want her deleted from the story asap.

and its never gonna end btw its just gonna go on and on with every tier and patch ending with some dumbass cliffhanger of a new portal opening or a new bad guy or a character having to make a choice but we dont get to see what the choice was. answers come so slowly that the audience loses interest in them and are replaced with new contrived mysteries that have no possibility to be solved until the next cutscene comes and directly explains the solution.

i feel sorry for anyone who cares about this game's lore still.
    they hated sillag because he told them the truth

After Blizzard messed up the Old Gods lore really badly I've pretty much lost all interest in the lore. Blizzard seems to have a knack for not being able to keep people invested, like how Overwatch lore was extremely interesting in 2016, and then barely anything has come out since then. It's clear that Blizzard had lost all of their competent writers years ago.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well there could be infinite loops of shadowlands but then again story has always been secondary and just a vehicle for gameplay. It's human to hold on but natural to move on, hidden theme of this expansion, idk, or maybe Nemah has it right, the similarities make it uncanny enough to not just be random coincidence.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

From what I hear the people who made Lost didn't know how it was going to end. Compared to WoW, I think a lot of people would be under the impression the game will end with Sargeras so I don't think that's the same at all.

Sargeras is neatly tucked away for the rainy day that would be the end of the game. I don't think that'll change unless another big bad is built up greater than Sargeras.

Legion and BfA have permanently damaged my interest in the lore. I just don't care about the current plotlines because I know they will be as disappointing at N'Zoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    From what I hear the people who made Lost didn't know how it was going to end. Compared to WoW, I think a lot of people would be under the impression the game will end with Sargeras so I don't think that's the same at all.

Sargeras is neatly tucked away for the rainy day that would be the end of the game. I don't think that'll change unless another big bad is built up greater than Sargeras.
    baseless claims tbh

9.1 update
    even more vague thrash talk and more plot twists with little to none answers
    I honestly believe they have had written themselves into the corner from which every road possible leads to holes in plot as well as overall story just being illogical.
    Perhaps that Zooval's "Reality's End" would be in everyones best interests...

My money's on Sargeras getting released to help with the void lords when we get to that. Maybe he is even told that he was manipulated by the dreadlords and is *wait for it* getting a redeeming arch.

But yeah, the lore sucks a lot for creating more plot points whem closing one and them just leave them there for years or forever.

Like they did with the void lords .. they set them up in Legion and then went beating around the bush with BfA and SL.