19 8.02%
  • Doctorate o Professional Degree - Unemployed

3 1.27%
  • Other

5 2.11%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

WoW Demographics: Education

I was wondering this not so long ago, what's the avarage education level of the WoW player base and their employment status?

Because of the limited options in this thread Self Employed falls into the category of Employed.
    Professional Degree = J.D. / M.D. / D.O. / D.D.S. / D.V.M / etc.

I'll start. Doctorate/Professional Degree - Employed.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Should set up a poll, be interesting to see %'ages for high school/some college/no college/etc.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    Should set up a poll, be interesting to see %'ages for high school/some college/no college/etc.
    I did, but the poll loads after the thread is created

what are people supposed to put if they're currently pursuing a bachelors? (or any degree for that matter)

is this for a college class
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    I was wondering this not so long ago, what's the avarage education level of the WoW player base and their employment status?

Because of the limited options in this thread Self Employed falls into the category of Employed.
    Professional Degree = J.D. / M.D. / D.O. / D.D.S. / D.V.M / etc.

I'll start. Doctorate/Professional Degree - Employed.
    I can already tell you, no way this is gunna be fucking accurate.. look at it already, no fucking way.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    I can already tell you, no way this is gunna be fucking accurate.. look at it already, no fucking way.
    Why? The overwhelming majority of dudes I know that play video games or used to play video games are, wait for it... kinda nerdy. And almost all of them are university educated.

Who knew that nerds who rant about sims and numbers, are smart?
    Jokes aside, looks normal to me, if you think about that Europe is also part of this poll (me being an excample).
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    "Real" MMORPG means not having the lionshare of your content be singleplayer. Pretty objective, no?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Why? The overwhelming majority of dudes I know that play video games or used to play video games are, wait for it... kinda nerdy. And almost all of them are university educated.
    I mean playing video games these days is pretty mainstream so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LordTakeo View Post
    Who knew that nerds who rant about sims and numbers, are smart?
    Jokes aside, looks normal to me, if you think about that Europe is also part of this poll (me being an excample).
    i mean very few people on this form actually rant about sims and numbers...

I mean playing video games these days is pretty mainstream so.

- - - Updated - - -

Playing video games is relatively mainstream. Playing wow is pretty niche

Is this going to be one of those threads where everyone pretends they have a doctorate? Like the ones about height and weight where every guy on here is 6 foot 5 and build like a truck and some how holds a full time job has 4 kids , goes the the gym 6 hours a day ? Or the ones where everyone seems to have depression , adhd and anxiety, along with every other problem known to humankind ?

7+ Year Old Account
    Playing video games is relatively mainstream. Playing wow is pretty niche
    You say that but it really ain't. Wow is not played by 1 demographic, it's played by all kinds and all types, young and old, smart and dum, fat and literally superman.

Wow is niche in the grand scheme of people, but in the gaming community it ain't. And the gaming community ain't a niche any longer

3+ Year Old Account
    Uhh... I had a modified schooling due to my learning disabillity, does 'High School' count? I think I've done up to grade 10
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Master's, employed.

I am actively pursuing academic research in the humanities with the peer reviewing of some colleagues and I would like to get a Doctorate when the situation allows

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingsince1981 View Post
    Is this going to be one of those threads where everyone pretends they have a doctorate? Like the ones about height and weight where every guy on here is 6 foot 5 and build like a truck and some how holds a full time job has 4 kids , goes the the gym 6 hours a day ? Or the ones where everyone seems to have depression , adhd and anxiety, along with every other problem known to humankind ?
    I usually get the same vibe to be fair. Every post seems to be written by a superhuman with crazy strength and brains, or by someone that gives off basement nerd vibes.
    I try to be 100% truthful when it comes to threads like this exactly because of those iffy vibes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started playing WoW in 2007 during High School. Now I am working on my doctorate degree in a topic I am passionate about. I am one of those casuals. I sub every once in a while to play a month or two and then go on hiatus for half a year again. I just have so many other commitments that I cannot invest more time into WoW...and I am kind of happy that I am not addicted anymore. In High School I wanted to accomplish everything in the game haha.

Aye. Gaming is what got me into programming - first dabbling in Java for Lineage 2 server emulator - L2j (and a lesson that if you don't contrib to upstream, quite quickly there will be a shit ton of conflicts and most of the time you'll be solving merge conflicts instead of fixing shit). Then WoW and Lua addons and some contributions to simulationcraft in wotlk.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

You say that but it really ain't. Wow is not played by 1 demographic, it's played by all kinds and all types, young and old, smart and dum, fat and literally superman.

Wow is niche in the grand scheme of people, but in the gaming community it ain't. And the gaming community ain't a niche any longer
    yes, but the wow player demographic =/= a wow forum demographic.

the long term diehard wow players who also frequent ancient fansites like this one are all in their mid twenties to mid thirties now, a pretty common age to have a degree.

I've always been technically inclined, so I've never pursued higher education. Thankfully the tech industry is one where you can get a decent paying job just based on experience and capability moreso than education.

That said, I started playing WoW at the tender age of 12 and I've played it on and off (mostly on) ever since. I've just about played for 15 years at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

I got a physics bachelor degree than left that circus. That university is taking millions from China to promote awful ideas. "Education" in general is very overrated past a point and tends to produce very narrow-minded indoctrinated people that struggle in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    62 voters. Representative of "the WoW player base and their employment status"

IMHO not even representative of the "MMO-Champion forum base". But maybe you are trying to satisfy some personal curiosity?

I can't even vote honestly here, because your education system doesn't even apply to my country or didn't apply when I graduated. But I am by your rules "employed". Hell..even that is off the mark. I am self-employed and at times cannot get a job...like during 3 months of last years lockdown. According to the rulesl I was still employed...just at zero income?

And since you probably rightfully will tell me not be so snarky...I'll add that maybe as a "Doctorate/Professional Degree" you want to do a quick spellcheck of your post

- - - Updated - - -

Don't you know that we all eat mythic+ 25 for breakfast and faceroll final mythic raid bosses even before Method etc officially enter the race? A 2600 pvp rating is ofc what we all hold.

But that is just true here. You get the same impression watching the chat in the mythic invitational when a group in there makes a mistake

The game had over 100 million accounts created already years ago and ...hell...if that doesn't count - it had its own Southpark episode.

It might not be as popular as Mario Bros or Pokemon or Minecraft and maybe it feels "niche" today - but overall it did have a pretty decent (if not big) cultural impact. Current X-pac still sold almost 4 million copies on release as the game is 16 years old and the thread where Preach discussed how people chose their covenants actually had a graphic from the website tracking this choice at 6 million players. Not characters...players. Grain of salt...statistics..opinion and all that.
    Then vote "other". My educational system doesn't adapt to the US model (I wasn't even aware of what an associate degree was), but I used it because it's an American game.

With spelling, I noticed when it was too late. English isn't my native language and I use a phone to post on forums. German keyboard setting that autocorrects to spanish