Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Oh yeah we have these religious nuts who don't care. Just yesterday one of the religious nut leaders passed away due to COVID-19 and of course they made a huge funeral for him with 1000s there.

No helping those, they do clog public hospitals all the same. Police can't do shit about it either, it's thousands of people.

---

Just got my vaccine, can report no urge to eat brains or obey 5G tower commands.
    what about having a chat with that Bill Gates? All jokes aside, how the hell did you get a vaccine this early? Mind you my country is lagging behind majorly.

Oh yeah we have these religious nuts who don't care. Just yesterday one of the religious nut leaders passed away due to COVID-19 and of course they made a huge funeral for him with 1000s there.

No helping those, they do clog public hospitals all the same. Police can't do shit about it either, it's thousands of people.

---

Just got my vaccine, can report no urge to eat brains or obey 5G tower commands.
    Although infections remain (relatively) high, hasn't your vaccine program made a significant difference to number of people who die after catching CV?

Oh and congratulations on your vaccination!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    what about having a chat with that Bill Gates? All jokes aside, how the hell did you get a vaccine this early? Mind you my country is lagging behind majorly.
    We used hax.

I understand it's combination of tossing at Phizer a lot of money, way above the price, selling our privacy and other deals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Although infections remain (relatively) high, hasn't your vaccine program made a significant difference to number of people who die after catching CV?

Oh and congratulations on your vaccination!
    From what I understand the biggest thing so far is after you get both jabs then if you catch it - you still have a small chance to develop symptoms, but it does not go beyond light/moderate case.

Best effect seems to develop 7 days after booster jab. There were severe cases after 1st jab, but after 2nd I understand it's fine given that week gap.

There is BBC piece on that previously linked.

And yes, for certain - if not the vaccine, we'd be MUCH more fucked now with these British/SA variants running wild here. The numbers seem high, but unlike previous lockdowns, we're dealing with a much more contagious version and much more lax lockdown - there is a sort of lockdown fatigue going on where people stop giving a fuck even on top of the usual religious crap mass weddings/funerals that are unstoppable.

There is a talk that despite vaccine, we might need 4th lockdown down the road and there are murmurs about SA variant having some resistance to vaccine which is troubling. PM practically openly told that it's only a matter of time before there will be variant that will require another modified booster.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-02-02 at 12:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you got the placebo then. Welcome to the control group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    So you got the placebo then. Welcome to the control group.
    wtf makes sense, so that's their plan - I can spread misinformation about it in MMO-C, so people will take it. So devious!

Don't really care about the unvaccinated unwashed masses. At this point anyone who is above 35 or 16-18 is unvaccinated by their choice.
    I don't care much about the well-being of ones that unvaccinated by choice, it's just that they take up space that could be used for better purposes in ICUs and morgues, and they can also spread the disease (you are not 100% immune when vaccinated, and there might be a few persons that cannot take the vaccine for medical reasons).

This very much sounds like what someone who is obeying 5g tower commands would say.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

As for the Russian vaccine - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...234-8/fulltext

It seems to be 91·6% effective (confidence interval 85·6–95·2); and also work among the elderly (well, 60+; it's after all Russia).

Even one dose (after 21 days) seemed to protect against moderate or severe cases of covid-19 as no-one got it in vaccinated group (compared 20 among the placebo group; so 94-100% efficiency against severe disease even with one dose).

The major downside seems to be that it is only tested on white people (well, 98.5% white), and Russian transparency is not always great.

Having four deaths in the study - whereof two who died to covid-19 after getting it the first week after vaccination and claiming that there were already infected seems suspicious. However, even if they were infected after getting vaccinated it doesn't change much for the vaccine - we don't expect vaccination to have any impact the first week. But it does indicate one major concern - vaccination places must be safe so that people don't get both vaccine and infection.

The underlying principle is similar to Astra-Zeneca vaccine, but slightly better by using two different Adeno-viruses (J&J also uses Adeno-virus, but only one dose).
    The study differed from some other studies in that the placebo group was about 25% not 50% - but that should work as well.

Good news about the Oxford/AZ vaccine.

'New analysis by Oxford University

vaccine shows sustained protection of 76% during the 3-month interval until the second dose

analyses shows single standard dose efficacy from day 22 to day 90 post vaccination of 76% with protection not falling in this three-month period'

[...]

'Crucially, Oxford says the vaccine DOES stop transmission:

Oxford: “Analyses of PCR positive swabs in UK population suggests vaccine may have substantial effect on transmission of the virus with 67% reduction in positive swabs among those vaccinated”'

https://twitter.com/SkyScottBeasley/...074743304?s=20

[I]'Crucially, Oxford says the vaccine DOES stop transmission:
    That's great. Vaccinated people being carriers/transmitters is a big concern for me, as I've got some family being vaccinated now and it would be nice to interact, but figure out how to do so safely while the rest of us younger/healthier folks wait our turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    wtf makes sense, so that's their plan - I can spread misinformation about it in MMO-C, so people will take it. So devious!
    Indeed!
    /Teal'c

*chuckles*

analyses shows single standard dose efficacy from day 22 to day 90 post vaccination of 76% with protection not falling in this three-month period'
    That's not really the truth. The actual paper shows that anti-body levels are decreasing (to 66% of the value at the start) but their conclusion is that it does not cause a significant reduction based on their model until day 90, but after day 90 there seems to be a clear reduction.

'Crucially, Oxford says the vaccine DOES stop transmission:
    That's overstating it - it seems to reduce transmissions by making fewer people infected (possibly even asymptomatically), but it doesn't fully STOP transmissions.

Oxford: “Analyses of PCR positive swabs in UK population suggests vaccine may have substantial effect on transmission of the virus with 67% reduction in positive swabs among those vaccinated”'
    The paper is confusing on this point, as it then says "after the second dose, the SD/SD schedule reduced PCR positivity by 49.5% overall."

And additionally the reduction in asymptomatic cases is really really uncertain.
    Symptomatic efficacy after 2 doses was 66.7% (confidence interval 57.4 to 74%).
    Asymptomatic efficacy (UK only) after 2 doses was 22.2% (confidence interval -9.9% to 45%).
    PCR+ reduction was between those at 54.1% (confidence interval 44.7% to 61.9%).
    As they note the vaccination may reduce severity so that symptomatic cases become asymptomatic, and severe cases become mild.

Every time 0% is in the confidence interval it means that we cannot conclude that it has any effect (i.e., the null-hypothesis is not rejected).

What I found more interesting is that the paper explains how they got some of the unplanned results.

It claims they had planned to use a single dose, some a low dose and some a standard dose - but then noticed that a single dose wasn't enough so they asked people if they wanted another one (and then gave them the standard dose). This explains the odd low/standard dose testing and the change also explains the delay between doses (and why they have so many tested with single dose).

Whether delaying the second dose is good or not is still unclear. The conclusion so far is that it works, it may work better, but we don't know. But it clearly helps if the number of doses is limited.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3777268

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    That's not really the truth. The actual paper shows that anti-body levels are decreasing (to 66% of the value at the start) but their conclusion is that it does not cause a significant reduction based on their model until day 90, but after day 90 there seems to be a clear reduction.

That's overstating it - it seems to reduce transmissions by making fewer people infected (possibly even asymptomatically), but it doesn't fully STOP transmissions.

The paper is confusing on this point, as it then says "after the second dose, the SD/SD schedule reduced PCR positivity by 49.5% overall."

And additionally the reduction in asymptomatic cases is really really uncertain.
    Symptomatic efficacy after 2 doses was 66.7% (confidence interval 57.4 to 74%).
    Asymptomatic efficacy (UK only) after 2 doses was 22.2% (confidence interval -9.9% to 45%).
    PCR+ reduction was between those at 54.1% (confidence interval 44.7% to 61.9%).
    As they note the vaccination may reduce severity so that symptomatic cases become asymptomatic, and severe cases become mild.

Every time 0% is in the confidence interval it means that we cannot conclude that it has any effect (i.e., the null-hypothesis is not rejected).

What I found more interesting is that the paper explains how they got some of the unplanned results.

It claims they had planned to use a single dose, some a low dose and some a standard dose - but then noticed that a single dose wasn't enough so they asked people if they wanted another one (and then gave them the standard dose). This explains the odd low/standard dose testing and the change also explains the delay between doses (and why they have so many tested with single dose).

Whether delaying the second dose is good or not is still unclear. The conclusion so far is that it works, it may work better, but we don't know. But it clearly helps if the number of doses is limited.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3777268
    I'm sure you know better than the people at Oxford University.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's great. Vaccinated people being carriers/transmitters is a big concern for me, as I've got some family being vaccinated now and it would be nice to interact, but figure out how to do so safely while the rest of us younger/healthier folks wait our turn.
    Seriously you where worried about that? Anyway has Biden done anything drastic to curb the Coronavirus or is he sitting on his as the last 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    Seriously you where worried about that?
    Uh...yeah? Because there hasn't been a ton of data on that, and people will be stupid and overconfident and potentially act as transmitters.

Were you not worried about that?

Anyway has Biden done anything drastic to curb the Coronavirus or is he sitting on his as the last 2 weeks.
    Working on the garbage vaccine program he inherited, enacted mask requirements for inter-state travel, required masks on federal property, wears a mask indoors himself because he's not a punk bitch etc.

I'm sure you know better than the people at Oxford University.
    You mean that I know more than dubious news organization on the british isles, since you quoted tweets by Scott Beasley from Skynews.

That is likely true, but that is such a low bar that I am not flattered at all.

And to be clear: all my statement were from the paper written by researchers from Oxford University, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Soweto Clinical Trials Centre, AstraZeneca, University of Cambridge, University of Nottingham and some other places.

But unfortunately I made a mistake that I, in contrast to Scott Beasley, will now correct:
    These findings are preliminary and have not been peer-reviewed.
    The findings should not be used for clinical or public health decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    You mean that I know more than dubious news organization on the british isles, since you quoted tweets Scott Beasley from Skynews.

That is likely true, but that is such a low bar that I am not flattered at all.

And to be clear: all my statement were from the paper written by researchers from Oxford University, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Soweto Clinical Trials Centre, AstraZeneca, University of Cambridge, University of Nottingham and some other places.

But unfortunately I made a mistake that I, in contrast to Scott Beasley, will now correct:
    These findings are preliminary and have not been peer-reviewed.
    The findings should not be used for clinical or public health decision making.
    No, if I had meant that I would have typed that.

You think that Oxford University is a low bar? Hmm, world respected University with years of experience or a random, anonymous person on the internet... it's difficult to tell who knows most these days!

You sure showed them I will pass your concerns on. Oh and you forgot to mention that it doesn't work in people over 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Working on the garbage vaccine program he inherited, enacted mask requirements for inter-state travel, required masks on federal property, wears a mask indoors himself because he's not a punk bitch etc.
    What garbage vaccine program? Has biden altered the vaccine program in any meaningful way? and masks? They where already more or less implemented . So where is the plan he kept touting? Or is America going to lose a few more 100 k americans because Biden more or less copied Trumps covid reponse? I believe the answer is yes.

What garbage vaccine program?
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-bid...on-11610794800

Paying attention helps!

and masks? They where already more or less implemented .
    There was no federal mandate for masks during travel or on federal properties. They were not being implemented, because the guy who could have implemented them was too busy being maskless at every opportunity.

Here's a press release about the Trump administrations failure to implement masks requirements for inter-state travel - https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301148243.html

So where is the plan he kept touting?
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...eparedness.pdf

Plus the stimulus bill he's trying to get through Congress that will go a long way in helping this, including much needed state and local funding for their vaccine rollout programs, something Republicans are still pushing back against.

Or is America going to lose a few more 100 k americans because Biden more or less copied Trumps covid reponse? I believe the answer is yes.
    Come off it. Y'all didn't care as 400k Americans died due to Trump's inaction and misinformation. You can't act all morally outraged that the consequences of his inaction continue beyond his presidency, and the virulent anti-mask/covid-denial movement that he stoked remains.

You've made your bed. Enjoy the hundreds of thousands of dead Americans occupying it with you.