I didn't realize the new GM for the Lions was with the Rams since 2003. Very likely a big reason that trade happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    I'm just excited to see how Stafford does on a quality franchise, good or bad. Especially with a guy like McVay.
    I'm curious what McVay is going to do when he doesn't need to rush in play calls so he can call audibles before the headsets turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    I'm just excited to see how Stafford does on a quality franchise, good or bad. Especially with a guy like McVay.
    As a Seahawks fan, I'm not excited. I think he'll be better under McVay, and with a good defense on the other side of the ball- which does not make me happy.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope the 49ers trade for Watson now tbh. What Houston wants after seeing what Stafford got had to of increased by a ton.

Apparently Stafford was open to every team but the Patriots because Patricia is back there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Apparently Stafford was open to every team but the Patriots because Patricia is back there.
    Yeah, the Patriots must have known that was a risk when bringing Patricia in, so I'm guessing they weren't THAT into Stafford anyway.

From the Reports, several teams had good bids on the tabel, together with the Rams, and the Patriots and Niners "had also inquired", which leads me to believe they weren't actually giving competitive offers compared to the others.

And honestly, at the price he went for, I'm okay with that. The Rams and the Colts had far more reason to go all in and empty their wallets, and the Rams went all in. I'm glad the Patriots weren't quite that reckless.

I only read about that Stafford trade today. Sweet maple syrup it looks like the Lions got a hell of a deal. I mean, it's still the Lions so I expect nothing out of them, but not too bad Detriot.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yeah, the Patriots must have known that was a risk when bringing Patricia in, so I'm guessing they weren't THAT into Stafford anyway.

From the Reports, several teams had good bids on the tabel, together with the Rams, and the Patriots and Niners "had also inquired", which leads me to believe they weren't actually giving competitive offers compared to the others.

And honestly, at the price he went for, I'm okay with that. The Rams and the Colts had far more reason to go all in and empty their wallets, and the Rams went all in. I'm glad the Patriots weren't quite that reckless.
    Honestly I feel like the Pats are just gonna sit back and wait to see if Jimmy G becomes available. And if not run it back with Cam.

- - - Updated - - -

So according to Albert Breer the teams that had offers in for Stafford were:
    - Carolina (offered 8th overall)
    - Washington (offered 19th overall and a third rounder)
    - Colts (offered players and picks but no first rounder)
    - Broncos (pick swap and Stafford)
    - Patriots (2nd rounder and a player)
    - Rams (obviously we know their offer)

Also the 49ers, Bears, and Jets checked in but never made any real offers.

So that should give us some indication of who'll be in the running for Watson later this spring and what the offers probably will look like.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    snip
    To be fair Stafford is 0-3 in the playoffs though only one of them was a stomping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    To be fair Stafford is 0-3 in the playoffs though only one of them was a stomping.
    A pair of three-score losses and a referee assisted debacle is not an impressive postseason career, but its the Lions.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Most qbs start with bad postseason records, difference is he’s only been to 3 games. Lamar Jackson was 0-2 with a consistently great team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

It is almost like teams win games, not 1 player....

Not sure when these Vikings trading Cousins to the 49ers rumors started (other than the Shanahan connection and people need clicks). At this rate, every QB is going to have trade rumors this offseason.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    It is almost like teams win games, not 1 player....

Not sure when these Vikings trading Cousins to the 49ers rumors started (other than the Shanahan connection and people need clicks). At this rate, every QB is going to have trade rumors this offseason.
    Apparently the rumor is just "The 49ers will call if the Vikings make him available." So not really anything of substance just Twitter taking time out of its day to troll Kirk Cousins again.

I expect them to be in on Watson and any Eagles QB too.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    Whatever you think about the details of the trade, Stafford throwing to Woods and Kupp is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Throw in that defense and they’re going to be SB or bust for at least the next couple years.
    Outside of the padded stats Stafford has from historically throwing a lot when behind and playing 100 more games, Goff has been a better QB, won playoff games, and been to the super bowl. Stafford has never come up big when it mattered even in college. Not to mention he is a walking injury, multiple back/spine issues in the last 3 seasons, multiple throwing had/arm issues his whole career. Lions fleeced the Rams. Rams may have 1 PO run with Stafford before things implode.

2011 Lions had on of the best defenses in the league and Stafford couldn't win. 4 INTs in 3 games in the playoffs with below career average stats. All while he had Calvin Johnson. Like you said Dude is fun to watch, a total gamer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams miss the playoffs next season.

15+ Year Old Account
    The less said about Goff in that SB the better for everyone.

Lions also didn't have Calvin Johnson for the 2015 playoff game as he'd already retired before that season.
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Why do so many clueless people associate team wins with how good a player is? Football isn't basketball, 1 player can't win a game themselves. Anyone with a clue knows why the Lions lose all of the time, and 1 player isn't going to make them suddenly win. This also applies to 2 players, 1 QB and 1 WR will never make bad teams win a game themselves.

The 2011 Lions defense was 23rd in both yards (bad metric, but people use it) and points per game. The only time the Lions have had a top 10 defense in recent memory was 2014, and they lost to the Cowboys (one of the top offenses that year) by 4 points.

10+ Year Old Account
    2011 Lions defense gave up over 600 yards to the Saints in the playoff loss. Stafford wasn't very good, but he didn't give up 35 second half points.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    I forgot this was SB weekend. Brady had quite a season when you look back. Getting publicly called out by Arians after losing game one and the "fourth down?" meme, not winning their division. Getting swept by the saints.

10+ Year Old Account
    Andy Reid's son, the Chiefs OLB coach, hit a car while drunk driving and put a 5 year old in the hospital with life threatening injuries.

Unbelievable that anyone could be that reckless. I hope he rots in prison.

The Saints got $24 mill in cap space messing with Brees's contract. Only need to find $80 mill to get under the cap...

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Andy Reid's son, the Chiefs OLB coach, hit a car while drunk driving and put a 5 year old in the hospital with life threatening injuries.

Unbelievable that anyone could be that reckless. I hope he rots in prison.
    Andy Reid's sons don't seem to make the best decisions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been not reacting to Brees' potential retirement just because I didn't want to go through it all again when he eventually announced it. Unless he is going to play 2021 for the veteran minimum, which seems unlikely given his history, this just about does it.
    /s