Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Can someone give me some idea of what the best way to start fresh with the game is right now? I played in vanilla, and that account is probably still around, but the couple of times I jumped through the hoops to reactivate it, i was just horribly lost and confused, and quit. Im interested in starting a fresh account with all content, is there a way to do that? Is there a "complete edition" or something?

What i mean i guess is with wow, you can get caught up to the current content very quickly, does anything like this exist in GW2?

Edit for derp, 20 seconds on google found the standard edition seems to include what i want.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Use...w_player_Guide

https://catchupguides.com/

http://www.nojamtoday.com/upload/gui...e_chart_36.png

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I can't afford the mount expansion and I think it's bullshit you can't have a mount without it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I can't afford the mount expansion and I think it's bullshit you can't have a mount without it.
    $29usd gets you everything, doesnt it? Not saying you have $30 to blow on it, just checking im reading that shit correctly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Authorized retailer

https://www.dlgamer.com/us/games/buy...-of-fire-43807

Both xpacs for $17.

Also, 2/3 of the game doesn't require a mount by design.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-02-03 at 01:40 AM.

Lack of direction. I dont know what I should be doing. I have several characters at lvl 80 but not sure what to do or how to get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Authorized retailer

https://www.dlgamer.com/us/games/buy...-of-fire-43807

Both xpacs for $17.

Also, 2/3 of the game doesn't require a mount by design.
    The point isn't NEEDING a mount. the point is I can't even have one without an expansion. So I just haven't gone back to the game because that's some bull shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    The point isn't NEEDING a mount. the point is I can't even have one without an expansion. So I just haven't gone back to the game because that's some bull shit.
    I mean I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money but mounts are an expansion feature. Technically you don't even unlock mounts until your done with most of the story unless you skip ahead. I think you'd be very disappointed with best mount features being locked behind grinds.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I mean I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money but mounts are an expansion feature. Technically you don't even unlock mounts until your done with most of the story unless you skip ahead. I think you'd be very disappointed with best mount features being locked behind grinds.
    I'm ok with grinds in games that don't have a monthly subscription. On the other hand, I think locking mounts behind a paywall is really stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gorkos View Post
    Lack of direction. I dont know what I should be doing. I have several characters at lvl 80 but not sure what to do or how to get into it.
    That's sort of the thing with GW2 (and GW1 and maybe why both games are B2P) . You're not supposed to do anything. You do what you want. That works out for some people, not so much for others. Example, WoW there's clear goals once you get to level cap. In GW2 you can hit level cap before you even finish the vanilla story of the game. That's weird if you are used to WoW.

I play mostly raids and fractals, raids and M+ in Wonder basically. But in why you play that content for loot. In GW2 you play it for skins and to see how well you can master it. The latter is just insane to people I know who play WoW.

Every expansion adds new mechanics and features exclusive to the expansion. Is this your fist MMO expansion?

The mount system, i just couldnt get the hang of it... rest was fine for me tbh

Came back half a year ago and got both expansions during the anniversary sale. I had two expansions worth of unpopulated zones ahead of me. The ridiculously in your face sjw writing that me drop the game when the living story got started about 2 years after release is still there.
    I played a bit of both expansions. The raptor mount is neat. Lion's arch was ruined to push sales of their vip subsciption teleport + convenience hubs. WvW is still fun but repetitive. There is still no motivation (i.e., gear treadmill) to play PvE. The game is janky and ageing badly due to Dx9. There is still no official dps measuring addon support.
    Last edited by Shadowroxxor; 2021-02-03 at 05:20 PM.

It's how you earn them. The mounts are earned and can only be purchased within the zones for that expansion.

As others have said, the mounts are a feature of that expansion so it makes sense you'd need it to gain access to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Honestly, I think a lot of older players were put off by the move to the expansion model period.

A lot of us went through a pretty long period of the announcements, development phases, beta, release, and a significant period of Live being told that it wasn't going to happen, that B2P was the final model, that LS in its initial form would be the content pipeline.

When that started to change it was perfectly understandable from a business perspective, it was hard for me to fault them for it. At the same time, old/returning players being put off by it immediately is also understandable, really.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "expansion model." I can't really think of any game that allows you to pay one price up front and have access to every feature, expansion, DLC etc.. that they release forever as long as that game keeps making new content. That's not a sustainable business model.

B2P simply means you have access to everything that comes with the box. An expansion is an extension of that and you only gain access to it once you purchase it. Outside of that box price there are no additional fees.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowroxxor View Post
    Came back half a year ago and got both expansions during the anniversary sale. I had two expansions worth of unpopulated zones ahead of me. The ridiculously in your face sjw writing that me drop the game when the living story got started about 2 years after release is still there.
    I played a bit of both expansions. The raptor mount is neat. Lion's arch was ruined to push sales of their vip subsciption teleport + convenience hubs. WvW is still fun but repetitive. There is still no motivation (i.e., gear treadmill) to play PvE. The game is janky and ageing badly due to Dx9. There is still no official dps measuring addon support.
    What specifically are you referring to? Because I'm not really seeing anything overtly "SJW" and am playing through the Living Story of the Path of Fire Expansion.

Not sure what you're trying to disagree with here. ANet originally presented the game in exactly the way I described. It's exactly how the game was for quite some time, in fact.

Also like I said, they changed it eventually, for reasons I can understand. But I can also understand why returning people might be put off by it.
    I don't remember, and can't find in a relatively short search, that they announced or presented GW2 never having paid expansions. I could be wrong.

I find it highly doubtful that's something they would ever say and commit to. That kind of business model would be a death sentence for an MMO.

Maybe they said something that was interpreted that way, but that's not what it actually meant?

I gave it so many chances already but i came to realise that despite loving GW1 and the world, and i will admit that meta events are awesome, i just don't like the game. I don't like the combat, i dont like how the game is unwelcoming, the amount of trash items, the F2P restrictions made for you to spend money and the lack of trinity.
    I tried so hard and still have it installed, but i am so tired of it. It has magical moments, but it's so boring.

I'm at the point where i would like to see Cantha, but i don't see how it will be any different than all the other maps. Events, meta event, sloppy combat, contless new trash items and collections. I just don't want anymore. I haven't even finished the icebrood saga. I lost interest.

I really want a GW3, sub based, trinity, combat more like GW1, gear progression, raids, dungeons.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-02-03 at 10:31 PM.

Had blast leveling up but once I hit max level, the max level contents just doesn't seem interesting enough to hold me.

I can't believe they are going to release a new expansion soon and the game is still poorly optimised for multicore machines. It really makes me stop enjoying the game and checking it's content

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DTJames View Post
    Had blast leveling up but once I hit max level, the max level contents just doesn't seem interesting enough to hold me.
    For me, the same issue. Had some fun leveling different classes and trying different weapon styles, did some crafting, occasionally did some world boss rotations. That's not enough to keep me there on a longer term.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Honestly, I think a lot of older players were put off by the move to the expansion model period.
    ...but why? They never said they wouldn't be doing expansions, and they'd long since set the precedent with GW1 expansions.

A lot of us went through a pretty long period of the announcements, development phases, beta, release, and a significant period of Live being told that it wasn't going to happen, that B2P was the final model, that LS in its initial form would be the content pipeline.
    I don't think they ever said this, actually. And I worked on the game for a while pre-launch. It having expansions doesn't make it "not" B2P. It still technically is, though it's got the F2P base option now too. The LS updates would be delivered in between expansions. That was always the public plan as far as I remember.

When that started to change it was perfectly understandable from a business perspective, it was hard for me to fault them for it. At the same time, old/returning players being put off by it immediately is also understandable, really.
    I don't know of any GW2 player who had played GW1 who didn't expect expansions.

It's definitely not in the Manifesto, so if you got a link sling it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I don't remember, and can't find in a relatively short search, that they announced or presented GW2 never having paid expansions. I could be wrong.

I find it highly doubtful that's something they would ever say and commit to. That kind of business model would be a death sentence for an MMO.

Maybe they said something that was interpreted that way, but that's not what it actually meant?
    The game was definitely released and pitched as B2P that would have free content updates. It was one of the big draws of the game initially as people were getting tired of a $15/mo subscription. It was a big reason that my friend group decided to play on release.
    Last edited by barrsftw; 2021-02-03 at 08:59 PM.