Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    9900k pulls 250W OCd +100W headroom = 350W
    RTX 3090 400W OCd + 100W headroom = 500W
    Rest of the system ~100W + 100W headroom = 200W

so a minimum of 1050W would be required + 100W headroom so your setup requires at least 1200W PSU?

Correct me if I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    As Kagthul said. You have no idea of how a PSU works. Its really sad to see how many people that buys way to big PSUs for their systems. Steve from GN even mention it in one of he's PSU videos. And i didn't recommend you ANY thing at all. I just told you what you should have bought instead of.

Your AMD system can run on a good 750w gold/platinum PSU without even hitting 600w 99% of the time
    You and Kagthul can max out your systems and save $20, I'll spend the extra $20 for the extra 150w in head room.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    So, 25W, tops, for each pump? Usually more like 15.

5W each? Maybe?

5-10W each at most for spinning rust. 5W or less for an SSD.

790W from the wall on an 80+ gold means its supplying about 660W to the system. So, well below the 850W panser recommended (almost 200W). And thats full on FuMark + Prime95 torture load which is 100% unrealistic and will literally never occur in real usage.

Irony escapes you.

Urban myth. Much like "dont swim for 30 minutes after you eat" and other nonsense. Its "common wisdom" that actually doesn't have any bearing on reality and is actually just not true. Seriously, go to a PSU centric forum (where you will see this thrown around all the time), and then ask they why. The answers will be "because". Because its not a real thing and no one actuallly knows. And then, rarely, an actual electrical engineer will chime in and debunk it.

Now, do you want to run the thing at 100%? No. Of course not. But the 20% thing is a myth.

Hell, if you're looking for best efficiency, they are best at ~85-90% capacity. Thats when the hit their highest efficiency numbers on their rating

Because he wasn't suggesting that. (See above; what it pulls from the wall is NOT relevant to its capacity; the capacity number is what it can supply after it converts it to DC) Im not even sure you understand how PSUs work.
    So, you'd save $20 and buy a 850w over a 1000w for the above system? You sound 100% foolish. I completely understand how a PSU works, and no, I'm not taking a measurement from the wall, I'm reading it straight from the PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You never want to run at 100% capacity and it can easily hit over 80% with those components and overclocking?

- - - Updated - - -

Only if you want it running at near max capacity when under load... which nobody with half a brain would.
    Did you read what Kagthul and i said? Or did you just need to flex a litle?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    9900k pulls 250W OCd +100W headroom = 350W..... About 220w, when oc'ed to 5GHz+ and that is with a 100% load on all cores, wich you only do with prime95 and other test programs and you don't need a 100w for headroom at all.
    RTX 3090 400W OCd + 100W headroom = 500W..... Only with a oc and 100% load all the time, wich again will not happen, unless you stress test it all the time.
    Rest of the system ~100W + 100W headroom = 200W...... Again you don't need 100w headroom. You need about 100w total headroom for all. But with a good gold/platinum PSU, you can go even lower, without hurting the PSU

so a minimum of 1050W would be required + 100W headroom so your setup requires at least 1200W PSU?

Correct me if I'm wrong
    You can see my system in my sig and my 9900k is oc'ed to 5,1GHz and when i game i NEVER see it go higher then about 120w. Right now playing WOW its using about 63w. The higeste it went up to, was 78w
    My GPU while i game, never goes much higher then 165w. I have seen it go to 200w maybe 2-3 times, when gaming.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaShift View Post
    I'm reading it straight from the PSU.
    Ahh, of course you are. You expect us to believe you're sitting there, running your machine under full torture load, with the case open, reading wattages with a meter... or that you have the several hundred-dollar equipment just lying around to plug into the cables and measure that.

Riiiiiiggghht.

I think we can safely check off "liar liar pants on fire" box and move on from anything you have to say. Add to that that GN did testing (recently) on PSUs with their several thousand dollar equipment and didn't come up with near the numbers you imagined out of thin air to justify your pointless overspend.

Soo... duly /ignored.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    9900k pulls 250W OCd +100W headroom = 350W
    RTX 3090 400W OCd + 100W headroom = 500W
    Rest of the system ~100W + 100W headroom = 200W

Correct me if I'm wrong
    You are, indeed, wrong.

You are adding 400W of headroom for.... what reason?

Just because?

Also keep in mind those are full-on, synthetic torture load numbers and have no bearing on real life operation.

But evevn then...

250+400+100= 750.

100W of overhead = 850.

You dont just arbitrarily add 100W of overhead to each part and then arbitrarily add ANOTHER 100W of overhead to the top of that number for shiggles.

Remember that even that 750 number is only ever going to occur under total synthetic stress. So they are already maxed out at the most they are going to pull - there arent going to be additional spikes because they are already completely topped out.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-02-02 at 11:39 PM.

Ahh, of course you are. You expect us to believe you're sitting there, running your machine under full torture load, with the case open, reading wattages with a meter... or that you have the several hundred-dollar equipment just lying around to plug into the cables and measure that.

Riiiiiiggghht.

I think we can safely check off "liar liar pants on fire" box and move on from anything you have to say. Add to that that GN did testing (recently) on PSUs with their several thousand dollar equipment and didn't come up with near the numbers you imagined out of thin air to justify your pointless overspend.

Soo... duly /ignored.

- - - Updated - - -

You are, indeed, wrong.

You are adding 400W of headroom for.... what reason?

Just because?

Also keep in mind those are full-on, synthetic torture load numbers and have no bearing on real life operation.

But evevn then...

250+400+100= 750.

100W of overhead = 850.

You dont just arbitrarily add 100W of overhead to each part and then arbitrarily add ANOTHER 100W of overhead to the top of that number for shiggles.

Remember that even that 750 number is only ever going to occur under total synthetic stress. So they are already maxed out at the most they are going to pull - there arent going to be additional spikes because they are already completely topped out.
    You do realize, a Corsair RMi PSU can give information in regards to it's power and performance right?

You are 100% incorrect, and shoudnt be giving anyone advice on this forum in regards to hardware, your statements are laughable at best. You spec out a PSU for what your components max performance can be, and build in overhead from there. You have no idea how I use my PC's and what type of work load that they do.

You and Panser are the resident idiots here.

You do realize, a Corsair RMi PSU can give information in regards to it's power and performance right?

You are 100% incorrect, and shoudnt be giving anyone advice on this forum in regards to hardware, your statements are laughable at best. You spec out a PSU for what your components max performance can be, and build in overhead from there. You have no idea how I use my PC's and what type of work load that they do.

So we are idiots because we are telling you, that you don't need such a big PSU for any of your systems?.

I will just leave this for you then. Add 200w to the 10900k/rtx 2080 ti build and you will have, what you need for your rtx 3090 oc build and that shows that you will max run at about 750w, when both your CPU and GPU is maxed out and that will again NEVER happen.
    Wasting Money on Power Supplies: How Many Watts You Need for a PC PSU (2020)
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2021-02-03 at 08:22 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

I see a lot of people are taking this really personally..

End of the day if you are still making rent, paying the bills, and eating going over on the power supply isn't really a big deal. Under sucks. While I think you probably went a little over the top.. in the end.. it just doesn't matter that much.

Miss the part about an upgraded cpu in the future? The 10900k draws significantly more power than your 9900K. And the 3000 series is known for big power draw as well. The base figures are for people not overclocking, as such anyone OCing a 3090 and 10900k would want 1000w. Hell, my 750W had to be upgraded to an 850W and I only have a 3080 and a 10850K.
    Will just leave this for you as well
    Wasting Money on Power Supplies: How Many Watts You Need for a PC PSU (2020)

That are wildly innacurate to the point that GN went out and bought thousands of dollars of actual testing equipment because those sensors cant be trusted. In before "lol who cares about what Gamers Nexus thinks".

Its funny how you never actually refute anything i say with facts, just say "you're wrong", and everyone is supposed to just accept your word as the Word of God even though you have no credibility on this forum at all and have been proven wrong at every turn.

I told you about GNs videos on the topic that basically say you're completely full of it.

Not my fault you didnt watch them.

Or the recent video Linus did where they used nVidia's own in-house hardware tools to measure wattage (that nVidia sent them) and on a totally synthetically maxed OCed 3090 and 5950X they were at... 700W. Balls out. 700W.

I can go on.

Pretty much EVERY reputable Tech tuber has done these tests.

Not even Johnny Guru agrees with you.

But do go on with the drivel about how youre right, frantically trying to justify a needless overpurchase on your own behalf and giving terrible advice to the OP.

I felt the need to pull this one out because of its particularly silliness:

You have no idea how I use my PC's and what type of work load that they do.
    Doesn't matter what you do. The numbers you quoted are under full synthetic load. As in, the hardware is 100% maxed out. Its not going to pull more power no matter what you do. Literally cant.

But sure, we're the idiots.

Got a paraphrase for you:

You run into an idiot in the morning, you ran into an idiot. You run into idiots all day? You're the idiot.

Enjoy ignore. OP, whatever you do, dont listen to this clown.

You do realize that was released before they had their hands on 3080/3090s right?
    @Kagthul if it can’t handle a full synthetic load you can’t verify it’s stable.
    And you do know that we have all the numbers of how much wattage they use?. So you just add them to it and non of he's systems is near 850w

if you can afford a 3090 you can afford a 1000W 80+ titanium one

edit: just a non-joke reply, look for the psu-cultists tier list and psu calculator, get a high-end psu of at least the wattage recommended in the psu calculator and youre bis
    Last edited by Nuba; 2021-02-03 at 10:30 PM.

you dont need a lot of headroom when you have a high tier psu

- - - Updated - - -

When both are overclocked it’s more than 750W. My system literally shut down when I was testing it with my buddy’s FTW3. Hence the 850W PSU. I hooked up a meter and it was spiking to 803W under synthetic loads. If I can’t tell if my overclock is stable through testing and I need a bigger PSU, I get a bigger PSU. Overclocking 101.
    idk what your psu is, but a bad quality psu will draw more power than a good quality psu at the exact same activity due to inneficiency, even when within the same seal (plus gold, plus bronze etc) there is a massive differences in psu quality
    I can name a few high-tier 650w psus that can steadily deliver over 700w of power for a long period of time without overheating or shutting down, the same way I can point you at some 800w psus that will overheat and blow up at 600w load when a system only requires like 400

the easiest/simplest thing you can do to get a perfect psu is go here:
    https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

calculate your psu wattage, and get a tier-A psu from this list at or above the listed wattage from the calculator:
    https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116...psu-tier-list/

if psu calculator says your 9900k+3090 even at OC will draw 700w of power in total (counting like open loops or whatever you fancy) then there is absolutely no way a PSU like RMx or Core Reactor even at 800w wont be able to handle
    Last edited by Nuba; 2021-02-03 at 11:47 PM.

Psu calculators are highly inaccurate. They give you a general idea, but that’s it. And it was a top tier psu as per JonnyGuru.
    for some reason jonnyguru is blocked in my country so I never read it

oh I know its innacurate that is why at least this one I linked gives you a reasonable headroom (and you go further and get something above it), if your system will pull 750w then a you need more wattage, like a 850w, my comment was just random I wasnt reading the entire thread
    the headroom is to account for both inneficiency (a non-factor for a high tier psu) as well as OC and factory OC
    you can put a 3090 on a psu calculator and it will give you listed values, but in actuality they generally pull a lot more, but you already know all that

What I am against is like saying "you should give a 400w headroom to account for error"

if it can’t handle a full synthetic load you can’t verify it’s stable.
    .... what are you even talking about?

He (SigmaDoof) was quoting numbers that he got under synthetic load (on his OCed 10900 and 3090) and then saying he needed 300W of headroom or some shit on top of that, which is fucking nuts.

If its already under synthetic load and OCed.... then thats it. Its never going to draw more power. It literally cant. You OCed and it and ran it at 100%.

He was just trying to justify a pointless overspend and bad advice to the OP.

That are wildly innacurate to the point that GN went out and bought thousands of dollars of actual testing equipment because those sensors cant be trusted. In before "lol who cares about what Gamers Nexus thinks".

Its funny how you never actually refute anything i say with facts, just say "you're wrong", and everyone is supposed to just accept your word as the Word of God even though you have no credibility on this forum at all and have been proven wrong at every turn.

I told you about GNs videos on the topic that basically say you're completely full of it.

Not my fault you didnt watch them.

Or the recent video Linus did where they used nVidia's own in-house hardware tools to measure wattage (that nVidia sent them) and on a totally synthetically maxed OCed 3090 and 5950X they were at... 700W. Balls out. 700W.

I can go on.

Pretty much EVERY reputable Tech tuber has done these tests.

Not even Johnny Guru agrees with you.

But do go on with the drivel about how youre right, frantically trying to justify a needless overpurchase on your own behalf and giving terrible advice to the OP.

I felt the need to pull this one out because of its particularly silliness:

Doesn't matter what you do. The numbers you quoted are under full synthetic load. As in, the hardware is 100% maxed out. Its not going to pull more power no matter what you do. Literally cant.

But sure, we're the idiots.

Got a paraphrase for you:

You run into an idiot in the morning, you ran into an idiot. You run into idiots all day? You're the idiot.

Enjoy ignore. OP, whatever you do, dont listen to this clown.
    I can monitor what my PSU is doing in real time. I'm right, you're wrong the end. If you want to suggest I save $20 and go with an 850w PSU vs. a 1000w PSU when it clearly is using 790-810 peak watts, you're the idiot here, not me.

I'll trust Corsair over you. As a matter of fact, to the block list you go, I don't need to deal with an absolute moron like yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a Straight Power 11 850 Plat for my 5800x / 3090* build. That's where I felt comfortable at but at the end of the day it's what you feel comfortable at that matters. I've heard 3090's can be real "spikey" but I'm not really planning on pushing high OC's either so not concerned.

*3090 is still pending finding stock - currently got my old venerable dreadnaught the Titan Xp in. If I can get a 3080 first I might just say screw the 3090 as I'm getting tired of waiting.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you’re doing some kind of 3D graphics or the like a 3090 isn’t really worth the money.
    While you're are absolutely right, it's less about need and more about want, lol.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

I see a lot of weird stuff in this thread. No you don't need 1000+W to run these things on average. A 750W would probably be enough if it weren't for the 3090 spiking up to quite high wattages and tripping voltage protections cause of it. So probably an 850W is a minimum I'd to look for. That said I personally went with a 1000W titanium, because it was the most efficient at 450-550W(average) range where my rig usually lands when gaming.

Unless you’re doing some kind of 3D graphics or the like a 3090 isn’t really worth the money.
    Depends on the resolution you game at. I use LG OLED's as a monitor, which can output 4k @ 120. This is an area the 3090 leaps ahead of the 3080 on. Does the 3090 give an equal % performance to dollar advantage? No.