10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I legitimately don't know what McConnells end game is. He is usually relatively predictable.
    If the loonies win, he is out of a job.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Personally, I think he's pretty much on the cusp of not giving a shit.

He's 78 years old. The next time he'd have to run for reelection (if he chose) he'd be 84. He's rich as shit and, perhaps most importantly, he's lost a great deal of the power he's held the past 4 years. There's also been some evidence that he has some health concerns. I would not be at all surprised if he just slowly retracts into his shell at some point over the next few years and we stop hearing much from him.
    Or silently retires and moves to Japan with his wealthy in-laws and watches the nation struggle to pull itself out of the whole he dug it into knowing he fist fucked an entire nation, licked his hand clean and got out without any repercussions for him or his family who were made even richer for doing it.

Edit:

If there is no more power or money to be had for himself, why would he care? He doesn't care about the nation itself in the long term unless it is under his power and his influence and even then he doesn't care about the nation except that it continues just enough to continue benefitting him and his influence.

His influence goes, his money from Russia and the donors goes dry, and all that without him getting really a chance to ever retake it again. Why would he care past that point about any of it?
    Last edited by Fugus; 2021-02-03 at 01:46 AM.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    If the loonies win, he is out of a job.
    He doesn't need a job, he's rich and old, if I were to guess anything it is that he doesn't want this to be his legacy but he isn't enough enough for me to believe that so I'm left unsure.

I legitimately don't know what McConnells end game is. He is usually relatively predictable.
    Like I said before it's a power play between him and Trump. Does he really want the guy that lost his poltical election to run the GOP?

10+ Year Old Account
    He doesn't need a job, he's rich and old, if I were to guess anything it is that he doesn't want this to be his legacy but he isn't enough enough for me to believe that so I'm left unsure.
    Yes, and you are not a conservative who worships the god of the dollar. You don’t need a job... you wouldn’t be working at 60, if you were as well of as he was. It’s why I believe that a segment of Trump supporters a genuinely good people... they also don’t understand why a billionaire would become president, if not to help others. They are projecting...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Like I said before it's a power play between him and Trump. Does he really want the guy that lost his poltical election to run the GOP?
    I have to agree with you Shadow - McConnell is playing for the Party Leadership right now. That alone would be enough for a power hungry grubber like McConnell, but with that in play, McConnell can address his own loses - not the least of which Trump cost him the Senate Majority Leadership along with trying to kill him with the Call to Insurrection.

And it's such an easy thing for McConnell to do. Once you let reality in, Trump's antics become clearly insane, and easily rebuttable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Axios has yet another article, about what appears to be the last meeting in the Oval Office with Powell.

It's...holy shit, it's a chaotic embarrassment even by Trump standards. This one paragraph should tell you if you want to read the rest:

Giuliani told Trump he was going to come over to the White House. The president, having forgotten about the others on the line, hung up and cut multiple people off the call.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if some of their closed-door meetings with Biden ended with Biden telling them “if you don’t want to be politically null and void, get these loons out of your party”
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

https://apnews.com/article/constitut...d695393c8ea899

Yo Idaho, don't elect shit Senators that want to ban weed via state Constitutional Amendment. Y'all deserve the consequences of your transparently stupid voting.

10+ Year Old Account
    A second voting machine company has opened a lawsuit against Trump and his cronies for peddling election misinformation.

MIAMI (AP) — A voting technology company is suing Fox News, three of its hosts and two former lawyers for former President Donald Trump — Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell — for $2.7 billion, charging that the defendants conspired to spread false claims that the company helped “steal” the U.S. presidential election.

The 285-page complaint filed Thursday in New York state court by Florida-based Smartmatic USA is one of the largest libel suits ever undertaken. On Jan. 25, a rival election-technology company — Dominion Voting Systems, which was also ensnared in Trump’s baseless effort to overturn the election — sued Guiliani and Powell for $1.3 billion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

"You think you're all such hot shit with your endlessly tossed out lawsuits. We can plan this game too!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    "You think you're all such hot shit with your endlessly tossed out lawsuits. We can plan this game too!"
    It gets better. The guy representing the Smartmatic is the same dude that won the pink slime case.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    CNN: Voting technology company Smartmatic files $2.7 billion lawsuit against Fox News, Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell over 'disinformation campaign'

"They needed a villain," the lawsuit said. "They needed someone to blame. They needed someone whom they could get others to hate. A story of good versus evil, the type that would incite an angry mob, only works if the storyteller provides the audience with someone who personifies evil."

"Without any true villain, defendants invented one," the lawsuit added. "Defendants decided to make Smartmatic the villain in their story."

Asked for comment, Powell said in a statement, "I have not received notice or a copy of this alleged lawsuit. However, your characterization of the claims shows that this is just another political maneuver motivated by the radical left that has no basis in fact or law."

In a statement of his own, Giuliani said, "The Smartmatic lawsuit presents another golden opportunity for discovery. I look forward to litigating with them."

Throughout the nearly 300-page lawsuit, Smartmatic surgically dismantled the theories against it.

"The Earth is round. Two plus two equals four. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the 2020 election for President and Vice President of the United States," the lawsuit said. "The election was not stolen, rigged, or fixed. These are facts. They are demonstrable and irrefutable."

Smartmatic's lawyer, J. Erik Connolly, told CNN Business that the case is one of the most "straightforward" he has ever seen. Connolly, who secured one of the largest defamation settlements ever in the "pink slime" case against ABC News, told CNN Business that because Smartmatic's role in the 2020 general election was limited to providing services to Los Angeles County, he could easily prove all the conspiracy theories false.

"By being able to say Smartmatic was in Los Angeles County and nowhere else, I've been able to prove a lie of everything they essentially said with one salient fact," Connolly told CNN. "I've been doing this for a long time and that might be one of the easiest ways to demonstrate falsity that I've ever had."

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I mean they're not getting the billions but...ooph, they're likely gonna get a nice settlement outta it.

Sucks to suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean they're not getting the billions but...ooph, they're likely gonna get a nice settlement outta it.

Sucks to suck.
    "Nice" is an understatement considering according to the filing they've been able to quantify at least several million dollars in additional cybersecurity costs, as well as cite several instances of death threats against family members of Smartmatic's owners to help underscore the need for punitive damages.

At this rate Q might end up being one of the most expensive lies in American history, rofl.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...n-gop-11529858

Damn, even AZ Republicans are pressuring state chair Kelli Ward to allow for an audit of her election victory to lead the state party.

Why is Kelli Ward not being transparent? Why is she acting even more suspicious than the Hugo Chavez run Dominion company? WHERE IS HUGO CHAVEZ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    "Nice" is an understatement considering according to the filing they've been able to quantify at least several million dollars in additional cybersecurity costs, as well as cite several instances of death threats against family members of Smartmatic's owners to help underscore the need for punitive damages.

At this rate Q might end up being one of the most expensive lies in American history, rofl.
    "We just object about "the earth is round" bit, your honor ..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    "We just object about "the earth is round" bit, your honor ..."
    Ah no remember that none of the court filings by Giuliani and the like are actually alleging election fraud took place because then they'd have to go on the record as making those claims.

"We're not saying that we object that the Earth is round, we're saying that the possibility of the Earth being flat means that you should give us broad powers to strip other people of their rights so we can make sure the Earth is round. Just take our word for it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Ah no remember that none of the court filings by Giuliani and the like are actually alleging election fraud took place because then they'd have to go on the record as making those claims.

"We're not saying that we object that the Earth is round, we're saying that the possibility of the Earth being flat means that you should give us broad powers to strip other people of their rights so we can make sure the Earth is round. Just take our word for it!"
    I only remember the ones filed in the wrong court...
    By the way how can the earth be hollow if it's flat?