10+ Year Old Account

Question [Holy] Night Fae ability

Hey guys,

My Holy Priest is my first alt, and I've just started to play low level mythics on her.

I picked Night Fae as my Covenant, I guess because I like the Forest?

Anyway, I am not understanding the Nigth Fae ability Fae Guardians I think. It says that I get mana back, following SW: P, Damage reduction following Shield, and cooldown reduction following FHeal.

- Do I use this ability on cooldown and just follow my normal healing, maybe prioritizing Fheal while the guardians are active?
    - Do I use SW: P on as many targets during guardians? Or do I put up as many as possible BEFORE guardians?
    - Do I use Shield (which I barely use as Holy, if I understand correctly) all of a sudden when guardians, or make sure it's on as many targets as possible BEFORE guardians?

Or do I use guardians after using Hymn to make sure it comes back up quicker? What other cooldowns are affected by the guardians?

It's such an unclear and vague ability, and feels kinda redundant if you ask me, but maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks in advance.
    Warlock (SL main)

I do not play priest NF myself, but as I understand, there are 3 guardians in TOTAL, meaning 1 per part.

One is active on your most recent SW: P target - giving you back mana for attacks used on this target (I do not know if it's only your own, meaning smite and so on)
    One is active on your most recent used PW: S target - just a flat dmg-reduce for your tank
    One is active on your most recent healed target via FHeal - reducing the major ability cd of this(!) target (meaning, every boomkin will freakin love you - signed, a boomkin)

This is all from just reading the ability, so take it with a "not tested or played" sign.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ooh so I can reduce my mage buddy's Combustion with this? That's pretty neat, I didn't get that, I thought it was just for my own abilities.
    Warlock (SL main)

As far as I understand it - yeah, you can reduce the CD's of one player, but can't use FHeal on otherwise then. If you do, you stop reducing his CD's.

There's no documentation available yet as to which spec gets CDR on which spell. If there is, I'd love to consult it myself.

I think it's optimal to cast this spell on your tank initially, because this way 2 fairies are already out and you only need to renew SWP on the boss for the third one. If your tank doesn't need the DR and your Divine Hymn is on cooldown you can also just use it on the boss, which automatically applies all 3 fairies (2 on you, 1 on the boss) for only one GCD.

Since we don't really cast PWS as Holy, I prefer a defensive target, however, as mentioned above. If you're using the corresponding conduit you can start multi-dotting for some nice mana return.

Quote Originally Posted by Arazen View Post
    There's no documentation available yet as to which spec gets CDR on which spell. If there is, I'd love to consult it myself.

I think it's optimal to cast this spell on your tank initially, because this way 2 fairies are already out and you only need to renew SWP on the boss for the third one. If your tank doesn't need the DR and your Divine Hymn is on cooldown you can also just use it on the boss, which automatically applies all 3 fairies (2 on you, 1 on the boss) for only one GCD.

Since we don't really cast PWS as Holy, I prefer a defensive target, however, as mentioned above. If you're using the corresponding conduit you can start multi-dotting for some nice mana return.
    I thought it was pretty much agreed to be the same spell that Vision of Perfection did for each class less any that might've been removed.

Anyways, I use Night Fae just cuz - mostly for the mana. I usually just cast it on boss and then PWS the tank just to get the buff on them. The cooldown reduction doesnt matter much :/ i only really use it for the mana regen... lol.

Death Knight
    Blood: Vampiric Blood
    Frost: Empower Rune Weapon
    Unholy: 2 Army of the Dead Ghouls
    Demon Hunter
    Havoc: Metamorphosis
    Vengeance: Metamorphosis
    Druid
    Balance: Celestial Alignment
    Feral: Berserk
    Guardian: Incarnation: Guardian of Ursoc
    Restoration: Tranquility
    Hunter
    Beast Mastery: Aspect of the Wild
    Marksmanship: (Spell #193526)
    Survival: Coordinated Assault
    Mage
    Arcane: Arcane Power
    Frost: Icy Veins
    Fire: Combustion
    Monk
    Brewmaster: Invoke Niuzao, the Black Ox
    Mistweaver: Revival
    Windwalker: Storm, Earth, and Fire
    Paladin
    Holy: Avenging Wrath
    Protection: Avenging Wrath
    Retribution: Avenging Wrath
    Priest
    Discipline: Shadowfiend
    Holy: Divine Hymn
    Shadow: Shadowfiend
    Rogue
    Assassination: Vendetta
    Outlaw: Adrenaline Rush
    Subtlety: Shadow Blades
    Shaman
    Elemental: Fire Elemental
    Enhancement: Feral Spirit
    Restoration: Healing Tide Totem
    Warlock
    Affliction: Summon Darkglare
    Demonology: Summon Demonic Tyrant
    Destruction: Summon Infernal
    Warrior
    Arms: Bladestorm
    Fury: Recklessness
    Protection: Avatar

Thanks for the write-up. I didn't play when the mechanic you mentioned was around, so that was news to me.

They changed the spells for Priest, however Disc/Shadow did use Shadow Fiend initially on SL beta, so there's a good chance that your list is correct. They now use Rapture/Void Eruption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    snip
    Wow impressive writeup!

Well, pretty much all major CD's then! Yeah I dont actively target people for the CD reduction either, it seems difficult because sometime people just need healing and FHeal is quick and easy.
    Warlock (SL main)

Spending the precious mana of the Priest on this is also a little bit questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    Spending the precious mana of the Priest on this is also a little bit questionable.
    Not sure what you mean?

If you use it on cooldown and not on immunity things (like blood shroud), you should be getting a ton of mana back from it. In a mythic today it restored 80k over the course of the dungeon - and I guarantee I didn’t use it 1) 80 times, is it’s a net gain and 2) on cooldown, so it’s return could be better.

I definitely check its mana return often in raids and it is generally well above any other classes mana return barring arcane mage lol

Since it procs on a raid members attacks, you’re only limited to the ICD

As someone who's been Night Fae with my priest since Launch, And who plays holy in raiding Not so much in M+ To be honest, but hopefully the input helps; I use it on CD more or less. I cast it on myself, targeting the boss, so that the mana return lands on the boss. It's not much, but a holy fire cast/Censure is better than nothing. A quick PW Shield onto either a tank or someone who's doing a mechanic soon gives them a flat 10% DR, then a flash heal on your main dps target, someone who wants the speedy refresh on something for the last one, and just ignore flash heal for a little bit so they get the full refund.

It doesn't Feel like much when you press it, I wish it would do some damage/healing, But if you pair it with the first soulbind, you can get the mastery proc from using it, meaning you get bigger HOTS from your heals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it does feel like nothing happens when you press it.

When you say you cast in on yourself, what do you mean @Taezilyn ? The cooldown reduction?
    Warlock (SL main)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom View Post
    Yeah it does feel like nothing happens when you press it.

When you say you cast in on yourself, what do you mean @Taezilyn ? The cooldown reduction?
    They mean just that, they target themself when they cast the spell.
    When you cast the spell while targeting someone, or yourself in this case, the target gains automatically both the dmg reduction and cd reduction.

Casting it on an enemy target automatically applies the mana regen.

Formerly known as Arafal