Thread: First Time MW

Question First Time MW

Hello!

It’s my first time MistWeaving, and I’m looking for any areas of improvement. Please no trolls or stupid comments etc. I’m generally learning the spec this expansion having played a druid healer/tank for the last 6-7 years. Hence no fistweaving currently.

Thanks!
    Logs:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/bakj2HfpFWxB3YPw/]
    Armory
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/kelthuzad/jaguar]

7+ Year Old Account
    Hey, I currently run the fistweaving build with ancient monastery lego so my setup works a bit differently.

My 2cents is that your spending mana too quickly. With the upwelling build this is difficult and what separates the good from the moderate players. Slow down a bit on things like essence font and jade wind. Its easy to crave 100% uptime but lasting longer in a fight will net you more. Also using thunder focus tea on renewing mist and or vivify to save mana is a big one. Mana focus tea usage will be key for this build over life cycles imo.

Looms like your raid comp was overhealing a bit as well. More healers soaking up the hps make it harder to parse well as they soak up the healing but allow you to relax a bit on mana consumption if you trust your team.

Gl. Mw is very rewarding if you take the time to learn it. The community is small... but mighty!

Hi. It's been a few tiers since I've actively healed but figured I'd throw some advice in from my experience in CE healing. MW is incredibly mana hungry as the before reply alluded to. If you have Innervates in your raid they mostly go unused even in better Mythic guilds, call for one early the first time in a fight you find yourself using multiple Vivifies in a row! And along the same line I always found my style of play more of a "coast along" healing, keeping Renewing on CD, using a full Upwelled EF every so often but really identify the 3-4 key moments in each fight where healing was really really needed and dump a large portion of my mana in 20-30 seconds. To me that seems to be where MW excels, DPSing/Soothing the tank/relaxed RM/EF usage then really dumping mana when incoming damage requires it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuniqt View Post
    Hey, I currently run the fistweaving build with ancient monastery lego so my setup works a bit differently.

My 2cents is that your spending mana too quickly. With the upwelling build this is difficult and what separates the good from the moderate players. Slow down a bit on things like essence font and jade wind. Its easy to crave 100% uptime but lasting longer in a fight will net you more. Also using thunder focus tea on renewing mist and or vivify to save mana is a big one. Mana focus tea usage will be key for this build over life cycles imo.

Looms like your raid comp was overhealing a bit as well. More healers soaking up the hps make it harder to parse well as they soak up the healing but allow you to relax a bit on mana consumption if you trust your team.

Gl. Mw is very rewarding if you take the time to learn it. The community is small... but mighty!

Can I ask how you managed to keep yourself off GCD and or manage to DPS and heal. For me it seems like if I run the FW build I lose HPS and if I run straight MW I run into mana issues. Would it be worth taking Way of the Crane for blackout kick regen and not Rising Mist?

Quote Originally Posted by holywhiskers View Post
    Hi. It's been a few tiers since I've actively healed but figured I'd throw some advice in from my experience in CE healing. MW is incredibly mana hungry as the before reply alluded to. If you have Innervates in your raid they mostly go unused even in better Mythic guilds, call for one early the first time in a fight you find yourself using multiple Vivifies in a row! And along the same line I always found my style of play more of a "coast along" healing, keeping Renewing on CD, using a full Upwelled EF every so often but really identify the 3-4 key moments in each fight where healing was really really needed and dump a large portion of my mana in 20-30 seconds. To me that seems to be where MW excels, DPSing/Soothing the tank/relaxed RM/EF usage then really dumping mana when incoming damage requires it.
    This is helpful. I’ll try to keep this in mind an alter some of my playstyle.

Overall I find MW relatively similar or perhaps that’s the druid in me, to druid healing. So I’m trying to keep my HoTs up and that’s where I’m running into mana issues. I’ve been potting at the start of the longer fights and then again in the fights which seems to be helping.

It also seems to help when I stand more in melee than with the range as I’m used too. I really like the throughput so far as it seems like when I need too I can really pump out the numbers and save the raid from a wipe.

Here are the logs from tonight.
    Logs

monk is very stong now in raids

Quote Originally Posted by dixxy112 View Post
    monk is very stong now in raids
    Maybe if you are doing LFR or Normal where cooldown usage is "click at will" and you just need to HPS up people. As soon as you step into HC/Mythic, I can assure you that we're not very strong at all. Go see how many mythic MWs there are out there... Hint: They all rerolled FOTM shaman.

7+ Year Old Account
    Few questions came my way and I'll do my best to get them all.

Why is it rewarding? Obviously this is subjective but we can all agree the Mw community is tiny compared to other healers. Something like 5 times as many shamans and priests are out there, and twice as many druids and paladins. So it is rare to see another mistweaver in the wild.

In addition, I believe they have a pretty heavy skillcap. Kinda. The mana issues are super punishing to newer players, all the buttons are lackluster until you perfect how the kit fits together. And even then you have to work two to three times as hard.to just match a chain heal/riptide boy.

So why rewarding? If I play a MW and go into a raid and pump big numbers it's like seeing a unicorn. It's rewarding because you know you earned it and so do the other healers.

Now, there's plenty of guides out there so I'll be brief but here's the 5 second Nuni starter kit on how to pump as a fistweaver (mistweaving can do more hps typically but are more complicated in terms of mana efficiency and timing). I honestly think fistweaving is easier so here we go:

Make the ancient monastery lego for healing.

The final two and most important talent rows should be chi ji and rising mist. (Jade wind is better in raids but it makes mana issues so try it once your more.comfy with the idea).

Renewing mist on cd.

Essence font and attempt to sunrise kick immediately after the font channel. What this does is extends the hot effect of essence font by 4 sec per kick. Extending our number 1 raid heal is huge. It also heals everyone with hots on them.

Use thunder focus tea with rising sun kick primarily (I'm lazy and just macro the two together) to get more sunrise kicks and more hot extensions.

There are a few things happening here. First is essence font is doing a ton of raid healing. What I call garbage healing or rot healing. Second your renewing mists are extended as well and hopping around doing triage for you. And finally every sunrise kick is healing everyone hotted up by you. This is raid healing in its ultimate form.

Now essence.font is on cd and you have 14 sec of time where your single target dps heals for 250%. This is pseudo smart healing. So now you spend 10ish seconds trying.to sunrise.kick as much as possible and get 3 tiger palm into blackout kick as much as possible. I run crane style.for mana regen as well. So for very little mana you continue to heal through your hots and extend them. Sunrise kick is huge as it heals (mine hit.for 6k to that's as much as 18k healing with the legendary effect) and does rising mist heal on your hotted friends and extends them. Blackouts hit hard and give mana back. Tiger palm is filler.

When essence.font is up again repeat the process.

To be effective here you have to commit to the style though. You have to keep extending your hots and letting them do the work and trusting your dps healing.

I used to play hpal and I have to fight the need to stop and throw vivifys and keep churning our hots and kicks. You have to trust your hots. Let another healer snipe with holy shock or swift mend. Your doing your own thing.

And if you do it right you revival on a big burst, chi ji has its.own priority but the idea is 3 kicks and enveloping mist someone who needs hp for free, and your done. It actually plays more like a dps and you have to have faith in the smart healing to do its thing for you.

I can easily pump 4k to 6k hps by tunneling the boss with my font>kick build. For heroic content that should be more than enough throughput to secure any of the boss kills and lock in your raid spot. As you get better make adjustments as.youll begin to see what works and what doesn't more clearly the more.you do content.

I'm Nuniwu on burning legion, or Nuni#1444 on battlenet. Hit me up in pms or look at my warcraftlogs if.you want to dig into how.i play further. Won't say I'm the best but maybe it can give some context or help if you want more data.
    Last edited by Nuniqt; 2020-12-21 at 09:57 PM.

Well. I truly appreciate all the help and responses.

However, I've thrown in the towel. I can't stand how mana intensive it is; so I switched to disc priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishtar View Post
    Well. I truly appreciate all the help and responses.

However, I've thrown in the towel. I can't stand how mana intensive it is; so I switched to disc priest.
    Arguably way worse at mana management in a raiding environment, requiring innervates for optimal play xD

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    And another one bites the dust! Welcome to the club.

I was surprised that mistweaver hasn’t gotten any mana adjustments in the endless rounds of hot fixing.
    Really though, all healers except Shaman and Paladins (maybe Druids) suck at Mana. MW just can't fill downtime with anything except more mana use xD

I gave up as well, I resigned from raiding in my guild to only join casual runs as I cba with the state of my MW and how unrewarding it feels to play in relation to the effort I put in. Our shammies play with one had behind their back and still achieve better while still have a TON of utility. I dont have time to level another healer from scratch and it's hard to catch up to join the mythic raids from zero with how loot works in this expansion. RIP my MW, might give next raid tier a shot if we get some love, else I'll just sit out this exp.