Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    But they can turn into demons. I'm not aware of Dragonsworn in the TTRPG being able to turn into Dragons.
    They're not actually turning into demons. They're tapping into the power of the demon's soul that is imbued in their body. It's temporary because the more they use it, the more they risk the demon taking over and killing them. So they're not actually demons when using metamorphosis. It's more like a SUPER dangerous version of DBZ's super saiyan. And if I remember correctly, dragonsworn in the TTRPG were able to briefly turn into a drakonid but not a full dragon.

If I remember that correctly they were telling you that to get you to remember what you were before you were turned. It doesn't change that as a DK you're an undead character, which is why you have a different appearance than normal members of your race.

The same can be said of Demon Hunters. They're part demonic, not really entirely Night Elf or Blood Elf.
    I just don't agree that it changes your entire race. You are still a Human. Or a Dwarf. Or an Orc. You just happen to be an undead one. Same with Demon Hunters. You're still some variety of Elf, you just used spooky fel magic to get some Demon mojo.

That's sort of the point; You can't be a DK if you're not undead. You can't be a Dark Ranger if you're not undead. You can't be a Demon Hunter if you aren't (partially) a demon.
    But it's not something you're born, which is the core of what a race is. The character is born a human, dies and is reanimated. Then they get spooky powers. It's something that occurs to a member of a race. Having somebody be born a Dragon and just, well, be a Dragon would be something quite different to what we currently have. Is it impossible? Of course not. I just think it's incredibly unlikely.

You couldn't be Dragonsworn if you're not a dragon.
    Human: "Hey Mr. Dragon. If you give me some of your Dragon mojo I'll totally, like, do stuff for you."
    Dragon: "Cool, cool, cool. You're totally a Dragonsworn now."

If Demon Hunters can do it, why not do something super similar for Dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I just don't agree that it changes your entire race. You are still a Human. Or a Dwarf. Or an Orc. You just happen to be an undead one. Same with Demon Hunters. You're still some variety of Elf, you just used spooky fel magic to get some Demon mojo.

But it's not something you're born, which is the core of what a race is. The character is born a human, dies and is reanimated. Then they get spooky powers. It's something that occurs to a member of a race. Having somebody be born a Dragon and just, well, be a Dragon would be something quite different to what we currently have. Is it impossible? Of course not. I just think it's incredibly unlikely.

Human: "Hey Mr. Dragon. If you give me some of your Dragon mojo I'll totally, like, do stuff for you."

That's actually LITERALLY what a dragonsworn is lmao.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is only room for one new class and that's a generic Mail wearing class that has a tank spec that's also NOT a tinker because every idea involving tinkers is 100% garbage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    They're not actually turning into demons. They're tapping into the power of the demon's soul that is imbued in their body. It's temporary because the more they use it, the more they risk the demon taking over and killing them. So they're not actually demons when using metamorphosis. It's more like a SUPER dangerous version of DBZ's super saiyan. And if I remember correctly, dragonsworn in the TTRPG were able to briefly turn into a drakonid but not a full dragon.
    Metamorphosis;

40 yd range
    Instant 5 min cooldown
    Requires Demon Hunter
    Leap into the air and land with explosive force, dealing (36.036% of Attack power) Chaos damage to enemies within 8 yds, and stunning them for 3 sec. Players are Dazed for 3 sec instead.

Upon landing, you are transformed into a hellish demon for 30 sec, immediately resetting the cooldown of your Eye Beam and Blade Dance abilities, greatly empowering your Chaos Strike and Blade Dance abilities and gaining 25% Haste
    https://www.wowhead.com/spell=191427/metamorphosis

Who should I believe? You or the game?

- - - Updated - - -

Well because we could base the entirety of what a Demon Hunter is on this;

We don't have anything like that for Dragonsworn.

https://www.wowhead.com/spell=191427/metamorphosis

Who should I believe? You or the game?

- - - Updated - - -

All right it's official. You're hopeless. You're incapable of separating game mechanics and lore. Just keep that same energy for tinkers. Who the fuck cares what the lore says right? Any race can be a tinker because clearly the lore doesn't matter

So without a character already in existence, there's no possible way to build a class? Why? There's plenty of Dragon themed classes, half dragons, dragon traits, dragon magics, etc... that can be used to inspire a class. It's more than possible to introduce a new class as well as an iconic new character respresenting that class within the same expansion.

I mean there are a lot of cool concepts, bard, necromancer, etc but my bet is next has got to be tinker my guess. And it's not a matter of if they make a class, just a matter of when. people will argue, "no new classes they should focus on the ones we have" or "there are too many they can't balance what they got" yeah but new classes sell expansions. selling expansions and getting subs is most important. That's not a critique or a praise, it just is.

10+ Year Old Account
    So without a character already in existence, there's no possible way to build a class? Why? There's plenty of Dragon themed classes, half dragons, dragon traits, dragon magics, etc... that can be used to inspire a class. It's more than possible to introduce a new class as well as an iconic new character respresenting that class within the same expansion.
    If that's the case, why didn't they do that for this expansion? Their reasoning was that no class fits the setting or story of Shadowlands. Surely if you can just create a class without an established character, you can make up a class that is based on the realms of death right?

If that's the case, why didn't they do that for this expansion? Their reasoning was that no class fits the setting or story of Shadowlands. Surely if you can just create a class without an established character, you can make up a class that is based on the realms of death right?
    And once again, you misconstrue their words to better suit your narrative. Their words were that nothing jumped out in a huge way and wanted to focus more on character customization. So instead of a new class we got....new hair styles and skin tones. So it's not a matter of Blizzard not knowing what to add. It's 100% Blizzard being lazy as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I mean there are a lot of cool concepts, bard, necromancer, etc but my bet is next has got to be tinker my guess. And it's not a matter of if they make a class, just a matter of when. people will argue, "no new classes they should focus on the ones we have" or "there are too many they can't balance what they got" yeah but new classes sell expansions. selling expansions and getting subs is most important. That's not a critique or a praise, it just is.
    I agree. Also the game could use a class that isn't shadowy or edgy and takes abilities from existing classes.

They said that no class fit the story they were telling, not that no class fit the story because there's no lore character to back it up. And sure, they absolutely could have created a new class. Just like they could have for BfA. They chose not to.

That isn't to say that if they decide to build a Dragon themed expansion, filled with dragons and dragon magic and fun little dragnoy things, they couldn't build a character for it. They could very well build "Chuck McDragon", the world's best Dragonsworn who takes us all over on adventures and teaches us the power of love.

Or they could just use Wrathion, toss him into an overseer role as he engineers the creation of the class.

Lots of options.

They said that no class fit the story they were telling, not that no class fit the story because there's no lore character to back it up. And sure, they absolutely could have created a new class. Just like they could have for BfA. They chose not to.

That isn't to say that if they decide to build a Dragon themed expansion, filled with dragons and dragon magic and fun little dragnoy things, they couldn't build a character for it. They could very well build "Chuck McDragon", the world's best Dragonsworn who takes us all over on adventures and teaches us the power of love.

Or they could just use Wrathion, toss him into an overseer role as he engineers the creation of the class.

Lots of options.
    I'd honestly prefer Chuck McDragon over Wrathion. Especially if he's a crotchety dwarf character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    And once again, you misconstrue their words to better suit your narrative. Their words were that nothing jumped out in a huge way and wanted to focus more on character customization. So instead of a new class we got....new hair styles and skin tones. So it's not a matter of Blizzard not knowing what to add. It's 100% Blizzard being lazy as usual.
    This is what they literally said;

Kubit also chimed in to say the team didn’t feel like a new class jumped out at them, as one had in previous expansions.

“I’ll also add that when we’re making those choices for classes and races and things like that, a lot of it’s informed by setting and story,” said Kubit. And looking at the setting of the Shadowlands, there wasn’t a class that jumped out like the Demon Hunter did in the past with Legion for example. So a lot of our focus is more on building the world of the Shadowlands.”
    In other words, there's no class that fits the setting of a death expansion like Demon Hunters fit the setting of a Burning Legion/Demonic expansion.

And back to the point; If classes aren't reliant on previous heroes, what that developer said shouldn't be an issue. They can just make up a class on the spot.

This is what they literally said;

In other words, there's no class that fits the setting of a death expansion like Demon Hunters fit the setting of a Burning Legion/Demonic expansion.

And back to the point; If classes aren't reliant on previous heroes, what that developer said shouldn't be an issue. They can just make up a class on the spot.
    You do realize that quote says the same thing right??

“It’s not that they couldn’t make a class it’s just one didn’t pop out”

“Well read this *quote saying a class didn’t pop out at them* in other words they couldn’t make one”

Personally I’m under the impression that they had one planned but it got scrapped

10+ Year Old Account

Lots of options.
    Lore characters allow the class to tie into the story better. For example, while Monks didn't have much to do with Pandaria, Chen Stormstout still did a few things. Illidan did the same for Demon Hunters, and the Lich King being the main antagonist did quite a bit for Death Knights.

Which seriously throws into question the possibility of Dark Rangers due to Sylvanas having a large role in this expansion, and no Dark Ranger class being present.

The lack of a hero character for Dragonsworn (and Bards and Necromancers) is a pretty big problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by razorpax View Post
    You do realize that quote says the same thing right??

“It’s not that they couldn’t make a class it’s just one didn’t pop out”

“Well read this *quote saying a class didn’t pop out at them* in other words they couldn’t make one”

Personally I’m under the impression that they had one planned but it got scrapped
    According to leaks, it was the Tinker class. It may have been scrapped because it didn't fit the setting of this expansion.

But that's not what he said. At no point did he say "there's no major lore character for us to tie a new class to this expansion so we couldn't add a new class."

They decided that no potential class fit the theme of the expansion. Meaning that they either thought that something like the Necromancer didn't mesh with their idea of the Shadowlands. Nothing is indicating it's because they lacked a lore character to tie a class to.

- - - Updated - - -

Which seriously throws into question the possibility of Dark Rangers due to Sylvanas having a large role in this expansion, and no Dark Ranger class being present.
    Honestly? I would have thought that if Dark Rangers would ever have been added it would have been BfA, since Sylvamas was littered all over it. Here she's just... Kind of around.

The lack of a hero character for Dragonsworn (and Bards and Necromancers) is a pretty big problem.
    I really don't think it is. I think if you have a potential class that really matches well with the theme of an expansion, it's more than possible to create that iconic character expressly for that expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    But that's not what he said. At no point did he say "there's no major lore character for us to tie a new class to this expansion so we couldn't add a new class."

They decided that no potential class fit the theme of the expansion. Meaning that they either thought that something like the Necromancer didn't mesh with their idea of the Shadowlands. Nothing is indicating it's because they lacked a lore character to tie a class to.
    What indicates it is that every previous expansion class not only matches the setting of the expansion it's in, it also has a lore character to tie it to that expansion as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't think it is. I think if you have a potential class that really matches well with the theme of an expansion, it's more than possible to create that iconic character expressly for that expansion.
    You can't create an iconic character before an expansion comes out. That character has to be iconic long before the expansion is released.

What indicates it is that every previous expansion class not only matches the setting of the expansion it's in, it also has a lore character to tie it to that expansion as well.
    And they released a new class every second expansion until they didn't. Patterns are just that, perceived patterns.

Look at it another way: Let's say we get a new class next expansion. It's the Tinker in an Undermine expansion. There is much rejoicing. What's the next class? Or the one after that? What iconic characters are those classes going to piggyback?

At some point new characters need to be made for these things.

You can't create an iconic character before an expansion comes out. That character has to be iconic long before the expansion is released.
    Why? Says who? All you need is a character that gets a good chunk of narrative time. Nothing says that it has to be a known and super established lore character. Hell, Chen was largely a novelty character before MoP, and even in that expansion he was hardly super prominent (when compared to either Arthas or Illidan). Make a new character, make the character interesting, have them feature heavily in the story and you have everything you need to propel the story and the narrative of a new class forward.

- - - Updated - - -

hmmmm don't think there is any rules that dictate if/when a new class or what the class would be. they pull shit out their butts all the time, and make entire expansion zones on them. Not sure why they can't make up new stuff to make a new class with a new big character to go along with it. Or, take an existing character and turn them into the new class is always an option as well. They can be creative enough to justify it happening, even if it's lazy. Lore and stuff while important, always takes a back seat anyways in WoW.