Poll: Who should be the next leaders of the night elves, if not Tyrande and Malfurion?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Who should be the next leaders of the night elves, if not Tyrande and Malfurion?

Tyrande and Malfurion have led their people the kaldorei for 10,000 years -- and for the most part, have preserved harmony and balance in Kalimdor, respectively leading the Sisterhood of Elune and the Cenarion Circle -- the priestesses and the druids of night elven society.

As of Shadowlands, Tyrande is still rampaging through the realms of the Pantheon of Death, whilst Malfurion is presumably staying in Mount Hyjal and Nordrassil, perhaps trying to repair the damage of the Fourth War upon the land, and guiding his people as best he can. But what if Tyrande and Malfurion were killed somehow? What if the night elves simply tire of their leadership, of their inability to prevent their people's genocide, or possibly from their perspective to avenge them properly? Of their mistakes and failures? Who should succeed them? There are some likely options:

1. Shandris Feathermoon - Commander of the Sentinel Army, stationed in Feralas, adopted daughter of Tyrande Whisperwind, accomplished strategist and huntress, and Jarod Shadowsong -- Shandris's love interest, former commander of the kaldorei military in the War of the Ancients, returned to aid the kaldorei during the Cataclysm and in the Battle for Darkshore

2. Maiev Shadowsong - Jarod's sister, former high priestess of Elune, leader of the Wardens and presumably the remaining Watchers, despite her former transgressions, she recently led the Alliance to victory in the Battle for Darkshore Warfront, and is apparently unwilling to forgive the Horde for their Burning of Teldrassil

3. Mordent Evenshade -- Leader of the Shen'dralar Highborne, fought in the Fourth War, and the Battle for Darkshore, representing the ancient culture of Eldre'Thalas, one of the major cities of the Kaldorei Empire in the ancient days

4. Prince Farondis -- Leader of the Court of Farondis, the Highborne who opposed Queen Azshara based in Azsuna, some of his magi are helping the Alliance in Stormwind's Portal Room

5. Broll Bearmantle -- Archdruid of the Cenarion Circle, friend of Varian Wrynn, Valeera Sanguinar and Hamuul Runetotem, helped his shan'do Malfurion fight back the Emerald Nightmare

6. Illidan Stormage - Presumably he will return eventually in some later expansion. Has attempted to make amends with Tyrande and Malfurion; Maiev seems to tolerate him as well, if barely. Perhaps he should rejoin his people formally -- he did fight for them in the War of the Ancients, and it will provide a new interesting angle to the kaldorei

7. Another one of the Illidari demon hunters -- Altruis the Sufferer -- Leader of the Illidari, who opposed Illidan Stormrage. Jace Darkweaver, former night elf mage who joined Illidan, exposing the threats in Stormwind to King Anduin during the invasion. Kor'vas Bloodthorn -- Saved Illidan's life during the Harbingers cinematic, retains deep sense of conscience and tremendous loyalty to her cause. If the Highborne are accepted back in night elf society, the Illidari should also rejoin them.

8. Queen Azshara -- She opposed the Old Gods secretly, was instrumental to N'Zoth's defeat, while obviously very unlikely, yet not entirely out of the realm of possibility (not many people expected Illidan or Kael'thas to be redeemed), perhaps she could rejoin the night elves out of necessity in a future expansion

9. Other night elves -- Valewalker Farodin of the proto-druidic keepers, Lothrius Mooncaller of the Moon Guard, Cordressa Briarbow of the Sentinel Army, Rell Nightwind, night elf rogue of SI:7, who revealed Anduin's status via a moonwell message after he and others were lost at Pandaria; Su'ura Swiftarrow, stationed at Warsong Gulch, etc.

10. A Kaldorei Council -- a representative body made up of representatives from all the different classes of night elven society, including the priestesses, druids, huntresses, warriors, monks, rogues, Sentinels, Highborne, Wardens, death knights, demon hunters, etc.

11. Tyrande Whisperwind and Malfurion Stormrage remain the co-rulers of the night elf civilization from Mount Hyjal, with no change of leadership imminent
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2021-02-06 at 12:30 AM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Azshara? Really? That's about as likely as Mankrik's wife.

If they're going to ditch Tyrande and Malfurion, which I highly doubt, then I'd probably say maybe Shandris.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

Well, I can tell you who it shouldn't be based on your own list, but kudos for trying to list a variety of candidates.

The Shen'dralar and the Court of Farondis do not appropriately represent the vast majority of the Night Elf people or their interests, and have no business being put in charge of a group of people whom they once distanced themselves from. Also, Night Elves practicing arcane magic is an abomination, Blizzard's retcons should be un-retconned, and these people should be persecuted on the grounds of the rest of everyone ever being subject to ten-thousand years of anti-arcane sentiment.

Illidan and the rest of the demon hunters are not, and never have been, leader material. Even putting aside Illidan's glaring issues, there is no way he would be able to function as a leader of a large group of civilians. Of the ones you mention (and also of all the ones you don't mention), Altruis would clearly be the best candidate, but ultimately, demon hunters simply work better alone, doing their own thing.

Queen Azshara would make for a good public execution, and little else.

Like the Shen'dralar and Farondis, Farodin is not really part of the core group of Night Elves, and does not represent them or their interests or share the struggles they've had in the intervening years. However, he would probably make a good councilor, but hardly any kind of leader. The others mentioned in this segment are either purely military leaders or are, like the demon hunters, not leader material.

The rest are reasonable candidates, to some degree or another. Maiev is questionable as she is likewise not able to put aside military matters and just actually be a leader to a bunch of civilians, but would be a good choice if war were on the horizon. Her suitability would depend heavily on whether the writers would be inclined to give her the MoP Jaina treatment by making her unable to distinguish between the people that actually deserve her wrath, and everyone else who happens to be part of the Horde. Given the state of WoW's writing, you can bet that she's being set up to play a blind antagonist whose only purpose is to continually provide faction conflict, as the writers have done with so many other pawns over the years starting from Cata—which is a damn shame since her past writing has actually been good and internally consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post

9. Other night elves -- Valewalker Farodin of the proto-druidic keepers, Lothrius Mooncaller of the Moon Guard, Cordressa Briarbow of the Sentinel Army, Rell Nightwind, night elf rogue of SI:7, who revealed Anduin's status via a moonwell message after he and others were lost at Pandaria; Su'ura Swiftarrow, stationed at Warsong Gulch, etc.
    Rell and Cordressa might be too far down the chain of command to be anywhere in the running. And the other two mentioned don't have ties to Darnassus at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Tyrande dies, Malfurion will be the sole leader of the Night Elves. He's not only in Mount Hyjal to repair the damage made to the land during the Fourth War. Hyjal is de facto the Night Elves' capital. Anyway, both Tyrande and Malfurion should remain the leaders of the Night Elves.

However, if Blizzard decides to get rid of them (either by death or resignation), I believe that Shandris Feathermoon would be the appropriate successor. She's the one we know best and who is most in line with Tyrande. As Tyrande's surrogate daughter and famed general, she's the obvious contender.

Farondis and his merry band of ghosts are, obviously, dead. I don't understand why people keep bringing him back as if he was part in anyway of the current Night Elf people.

Illidan is busy keeping Sargeras in custody. All the other Illidari are in the fringe of Night Elven society, if they are even part of it.

Mordent Evenshade is a mage, and thus would not be recognized as a suitable leader by most Night Elves. He's mostly insignificant.

As for Broll, he could maybe replace Malfurion as Archdruid of the Cenarion Circle, but I don't see him as leader of the Night Elves. He's mostly a side character in Varian's story.

Maiev is too shady. She's an enforcer, not a leader.

Queen Azshara... No. For obvious reasons. Like Farondis, she shouldn't even be on that list.

All other characters mentionned are insignificant, with maybe the exception of Jarod Shadowsong.

As for a council, it could happen, but someone would probably be chosen to be the head and mouthpiece of that council, and that person would be Shandris. I would imagine it much smaller than what you make it to be, with representatives of the Sisterhood of Elune, the Cenarion Circle, the Sentinels, the Warden and the Shandralar.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

3+ Year Old Account
    Shandris is too deep on the human potential. Maiev should be
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Jarod Shadowsong has always put their needs and interests first and is perhaps the strongest military leader they have as well. He is the hope of the Night Elf people. He's my first choice.

Illidan isn't in a position to lead right now - because he's jailing Sargeras - but because of how he has been treated nor would he want to lead them long-term through peace. He would come to their rescue, but not lead I think so I don't think it even works for his character. Illidan is also pretty volatile and reckless and would make a lot of mistakes. But, because he tries hard and knows often good routes to success even if they are risky he can succeed when others can't - and especially in dire situations (after Jarod). He'd get my second choice.

Maiev is hotheaded but she gets results. She can be a liability sometimes, but when reigned in by Jarod she's admirable enough. She'd be my third choice.

Shandris is really good in terms of Military, better than Maiev I think, but she's so naïve I wouldn't trust her in a complicated and dire situation like I would Jarod or Illidan - even Tyrande doesn't really help her in that regard even when she is around her. But she's one of the few other persons who would realistically do it earnestly and have any kind of success, so would be my fourth choice.

Mordent Evenshade is a good figurehead, but he doesn't have much experience saving the Night Elves in terms of supremely dire situations. He did lend Mages for the duration of Cataclysm but he hasn't really done anything actually except enable that. And what impact that has is basically... what exactly? If the rest all hit the bucket for some reason he'd be my next and last choice I'd consider actually viable for leadership.

No one else I'd consider for the position. Someone like Broll for example is more of a gladiator and fighter and not a leader at all.

5+ Year Old Account
    Maiev. She may be a bit too trigger happy, but she has her people's best interest at heart, while still not being as douche-y as Tyrande. Besides, it's time already to move on from Tyrande Cringewind and her boring af hubby.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Maiev.

An actual night elf who is for the night elves, who holds their best interests at heart, a ferocious warrior (I honestly think Maiev should have been the Night Warrior - she'd have Sylvanas trembling) and truly, a character that doesn't care about pleasing Humans.
    She'd bring the Night Elves to a place, that made me like them.

10+ Year Old Account
    You've got some really weird fucking choices here. Azshara? Farondis... a ghost? You might as well throw those half-elf/half-spider monstrosities into this poll.

As much as a council would make sense, I can see myself becoming wearing of the council idea being used non-stop. I'd rather not a council for the Night Elves. With what the Night Elves have been through they need a strong and potentially unhinged leader at the helm to steer them either towards prosperity or utter decimation: Maiev is an ideal choice.

Or throw Shandris into the mix to balance out Maiev.

5+ Year Old Account
    Maiev Shadowsong , since she only night elf i care about. (-_")
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

I can say with absolute certainty that Maiev won't be considered, despite being the most qualified, unless they retcon out the horrible things she's done.

7+ Year Old Account
    Shandris, as long as that entails a proper model for her.

Formerly known as Arafal

I don't want Tyrande to go.

At least not yet.

First I want to see her interact with Alleria. Alleria is the sister of the one who annihilated Teldrassil, and aside from that both Alleria and Tyrande wield dangerous and devastating powers. They have a lot in common, and they should definitely have a conversation at least once.

But now it's kind of difficult, since Alleria is ruling Stormwind alongside Turalyon, while Tyrande has journeyed to the Shadowlands.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2021-02-06 at 07:41 PM.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Obviously Malfurion and Tyrande shall both stay the leaders but if we REALLY have to choose then obviously Azshara.
    Why?
    Because she at the very least will not allow some human moron to screw her ream over.

Azhara could have been a good Night Elf leader because unlike the other two she would be ruthless finding a way to deal 4 times the blow of Teldrassil to the Horde. But then you would have some certain posters crying about how she went too far and want her head just like Jaina.

Maiev represents the Night Elves from wc3 perfectly. Shandris would just be Tyrande 2.0, except that she admires the humans even more.
    Last edited by eurojust; 2021-02-06 at 11:56 PM.

You not listing a single Priestess shows me you have no clue what you're talking about. Amara, lasara, maestra, Nici, Belystra, Serendia, Dentaria, and Delas are all candidates.

None of the above, if we were to get rid of Tyrande and Malfurion.

Blizzard should instead introduce new characters (could've been great with Delaryn, alas...) to freshen up the character pool. Shandris has been neutered a little too much to follow humans over elves that I don't want to see her lead the Night Elves any more, so that's probably going to happen.

Lillyth's Priestess list are all pretty much no-names unfit to lead the elves as a whole.

If anything, we'll be more likely to see a council happen, where lesser known Priestesses and then also characters from Shen'dralar etc can be part of.

Jarod could be cool, but he's more of a commander of an army than people - same with Shandris, really.

5+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion - answering the question OP has put forward I would personally want Shandris as the new leader.