Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    How do you leave when all they pay you in is company credits that are worthless outside the "town"?
    Well, unless they're literally breaking your legs, you could still walk away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I live in the most Trump loving conservative state in the country. The evils of company towns are taught as part of the education curriculum here. Being paid in scrip while living in company housing you have no rights over is basically a form of slavery. Also in some cases they literally did break peoples legs, coal companies were well known for their thugs.

Then what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    What I meant by that is "they are free to remove or fire you for any reason because they are a private company". Extend that to their own entire city and you know what I mean.
    Are people being removed at random for seemingly arbitrary reasons that are not simple mishaps or glitches or are they being removed for breaking ToS and being complete piss nickles? See, for me, this is the closest to social media that I use on the regular so for me I couldn't care what twitter does.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Are people being removed at random for seemingly arbitrary reasons .
    Yes

10/char

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Yes

10/char
    Show some examples.

Are people being removed at random for seemingly arbitrary reasons that are not simple mishaps or glitches or are they being removed for breaking ToS and being complete piss nickles? See, for me, this is the closest to social media that I use on the regular so for me I couldn't care what twitter does.
    No...to the former ( as I see things)
    I have to be honest here.
    The fear is that they can. And since they only answer to stockholders accountability can get murky.
    The idea is that it benefits everyone to play nice. That's the theory. History however shows butt ugly.

Man, it sure looks like they really need to pay fewer taxes, I mean, they seem to struggle a lot with providing these benefits to their workers.

/s
    The problem with states like NV, and many others, is that they think they can attract tech companies with financial incentives (tax break, free land, etc.) They would not turn it down, but that's not what they really need.

The reality is that companies like Apple, Microsoft, FB and Google have plenty of money on hand. Apple is sitting on 77b, FB 62b, Microsoft 132b and Google 137b cash on hand. What is even more impressive is that Google long term debt is only 14B and FB is 0.

Their problem is in finding and retaining talents which are in very short supply right now. Building a company town or city in the middle of the Nevada desert is not going to help them recruit talents. In fact it will likely drive talents away.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Yes

10/char
    Oh shit with all of those examples I'm convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No...to the former ( as I see things)
    I have to be honest here.
    The fear is that they can. And since they only answer to stockholders accountability can get murky.
    The idea is that it benefits everyone to play nice. That's the theory. History however shows butt ugly.
    I'm not arguing for company towns, I know those plenty, what I was arguing was the idea that we're losing some sort of "protection" from social media as though getting kicked/banned from any of those sites actually means anything. Oh no, you can't access a website anymore.....and why do people care?

Oh shit with all of those examples I'm convinced.

I'm not arguing for company towns, I know those plenty, what I was arguing was the idea that we're losing some sort of "protection" from social media as though getting kicked/banned from any of those sites actually means anything. Oh no, you can't access a website anymore.....and why do people care?
    I’m talking about company towns. Think at will work.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Then what's next?
    Idk, be miserable and look for help?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Okay. Well a better example would be twitch. Their ToS is applied horribly and extremely hypocritical. Basically if you send a mod some private nudes you won't get banned, but if you aren't the right "image" for twitch then expect 30 day ban. We still don't even know why Dr. Disrespect was banned and it's been nearly a year. A woman that OMEGALUL'd her asshole on stream for 10 minutes got a 3 day suspension. She literally pulled her panties to the side and put it into the camera and stretch it out. Meanwhile wow announcer got banned for 7 days because he said "fuck it" with a euro accent that sounded like another word. Since twitch is a private company it's their rules and their platform.

Private company with their own city? Sorry, you have to leave the town and abandon your friends and sell your house now. Kicked off the platform cause you said something bad about the company.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-02-07 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Okay. Well a better example would be twitch. Their ToS is applied horribly and extremely hypocritical. Basically if you send a mod some private nudes you won't get banned, but if you aren't the right "image" for twitch then expect 30 day ban.
    Okay.....some people receiving some bonuses is nothing new in any system. Trump for example got away with breaking ToS minute-ly.

We still don't even know why Dr. Disrespect was banned and it's been nearly a year.
    I have zero idea who that is and why him being banned matters in the least to him, you, or me.

A woman that OMEGALUL'd her asshole on stream for 10 minutes got a 3 day suspension. She literally pulled her panties to the side and put it into the camera and stretch it out. Meanwhile wow announcer got banned for 7 days because he said "fuck it" with a euro accent that sounded like another word. Since twitch is a private company it's their rules and their platform.
    Well life isn't fair and some people will always get punishments that don't fit what they did. I got banned on facebook for a small period for people thinking I was suicidal, what's your point? I got banned here for saying I was going to stream a movie for a week while others can talk about killing people and nothing will happen. Life isn't fair, usually by the time you're 14 you learn this as your mother smacks you around for not filling her cup up with enough ice.

Private company with their own city? Sorry, you have to leave the town and abandon your friends and sell your house now. Kicked off the platform cause you said something bad about the company.
    Aw, look at you thinking I was in any way talking about the town. Seriously, what don't you get?
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2021-02-07 at 10:18 AM.

Okay.....some people receiving some bonuses is nothing new in any system. Trump for example got away with breaking ToS minute-ly.

I have zero idea who that is and why him being banned matters in the least to him, you, or me.

Well life isn't fair and some people will always get punishments that don't fit what they did. I got banned on facebook for a small period for people thinking I was suicidal, what's your point? I got banned here for saying I was going to stream a movie for a week while others can talk about killing people and nothing will happen. Life isn't fair, usually by the time you're 14 you learn this as your mother smacks you around for not filling her cup up with enough ice.

Aw, look at you thinking I was in any way talking about the town. Seriously, what don't you get?
    Isn't that what this thread is about? Sorry I'm not reading every response in this thread.

I'm amused this somehow got to 23 pages.

As soon as someone mentions "company towns" there's ought to be a universal consensus of everyone replying "That's horrible fucking idea", doesn't matter if you're a leftie or right winger.

There's a million of reasons why both ends of the political spectrum ought to find this a terrible idea.

If anyone thinks otherwise, just throw a history book at them.

7+ Year Old Account
    So if this will go trough it´s basically the beginning of the concern enclaves from Shadowrun?

Where they have their own right and laws and their own money?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Bootstraps.

Because hey, someone else in completely different circumstances was able to do it one time, so clearly it's just that they're lazy, rabble rabble.
    This is what happens when you treat labor as a commodity in the same fashion as say iron or hay. Von Mises argued this at one point and said something to the effect that labor markets would clear if people didn't unionize, moved wherever they had to, accepted any and all working conditions and whatever pay the market would offer with no bottom. And I think it was Veblen who pointed out well yea but people aren't bails of hay or iron ingots.

5+ Year Old Account
    Seems like the logical outcome of america, it's a market, so what is the problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    This is what happens when you treat labor as a commodity in the same fashion as say iron or hay. Von Mises argued this at one point and said something to the effect that labor markets would clear if people didn't unionize, moved wherever they had to, accepted any and all working conditions and whatever pay the market would offer with no bottom. And I think it was Veblen who pointed out well yea but people aren't bails of hay or iron ingots.
    I also just find the idea of treating human beings as livestock to be fucking galling. It really demonstrates how little we've moved on from the principles of chattel slavery; rather than abandoning the concept of slavery entirely, the Western world essentially just moved from "barn-raised" employment to "free range". They still treat people fundamentally as livestock, to be exploited and consumed for the capitalist "farmers" who still, at a very fundamental level, "own" them.

That's why I keep asking the simple question of "Why?", when people make the argument that everyone should be expected to work. The idea that you're not working to justify your existence seems as baffling to some people as the idea of a flock of chickens living free and wild, without a farmer stealing their eggs and killing one for dinner every so often. The idea that "maybe humans aren't just livestock" is something they seemingly just cannot or will not grapple with.

Because the whole "you're free to move and do what you like, as long as you keep working for your betters" isn't that functionally different from free-range farming, where the livestock are allowed to move around and do what they like, as long as they're still laying eggs and in a convenient place to be killed and butchered for the consumption of the farmer or his customers. You're still someone else's livestock, now. You're just free-range. It's not that "free".

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Seems like the logical outcome of america, it's a market, so what is the problem?
    Slavery should be seen as worse than a "problem."