Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why do people expect a working product?

Hey.

After so many "Duds" and mismanaged messes in the recent years.. Marvel's avengers, Cyberpunk 2077, Andromeda, Fallout 76, Anthem and probably more that i don't remember,

Why are there still people optimistic enough to expect a working product when a new hyped up games come out?

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Hey.

After so many "Duds" and mismanaged messes in the recent years.. Marvel's avengers, Cyberpunk 2077, Andromeda, Fallout 76, Anthem and probably more that i don't remember,

Why are there still people optimistic enough to expect a working product when a new hyped up games come out?
    The track record of some game companies has led me to never buy pre-order, never buy early access, and never to buy at launch. I rarely buy a game at full price anymore as well. 4-6 months and then during a sale.

I don't buy into the hype or have to be one of the first to play anything.

A working product is not an impossible feat, therefore if the track record wasn't too bad it's still okay to hope for that. Like, expecting Bugthesda to release a working game is quite the tall order, having a linear action adventure game on the other hand should be still reasonable from an experienced studio and publisher. In fact it's the bare minimum we should expect and demand for >60 bucks.

One of the industries bigger lies is the whole "there are a bazillion endings", which frankly I can't even fathom how people can still blieve that and actually expect a ton of different endings. Of course it will be only minute changes in slide shows, otherwise it would be impossible to code that. Another one is sportard games that aren't a luke warm reheating of the last 5 iterations and every customization being locked behind a gambling/pay wall.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Wishful thinking on the highest level of Insanity.

Just wait a year or two, if the game didn't die and in a good state, buy it with all DLC's for 20% of the initial cost.
    Better product for a much smaller cost.
    Sounds like a great deal for me

The weird thing is you get games like the Yakuza franchise - which are often fantastic at launch.

Overall it tends to be the games with "new & innovative" ideas - usually overhyped by a marketing dept'. We've had more success with smaller studios in recent years.

Why not have high expectations? I don't see the point in lowering the bar just to avoid potential disappointment, especially for these titanic corporations that now enjoy modern streams of profit from DLC, season passes, loot boxes etc. It's not like there have never been amazing video games that launched well.

Well people really shouldn't expect a defective product....

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    The track record of some game companies has led me to never buy pre-order, never buy early access, and never to buy at launch. I rarely buy a game at full price anymore as well. 4-6 months and then during a sale.

I don't buy into the hype or have to be one of the first to play anything.
    ^^^^^

Never pre-order anything. Wait until its out and see the reviews for it.

I usually trust a company until they burn me. There are very few companies that are SO bad that i avoid them or do extra research before buying purely by reputation.

99% of the times games actually are working products delivering what was promised though, and it's wrong expectations/marketing speak that leads to buyers remorse, which is just something you learn to recognize with experience.

if you play a companies games over a couple of years you can usually see the signs when it's going downhill and when it's time to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-02-07 at 11:13 PM.

Only games I really buy at release and/or at full price are WoW expansions and certain remasters like the Crash and Spyro trilogies where I know what I'll be getting ahead of time (and in the case of Crash and Spyro trilogies, those had been on consoles for a year already by the time they released on PC).

Beyond that, I have a big enough backlog that I'll literally never run out of games to play even if I never bought another game in my life, especially with my preferred gameplay of 100% completion for every game. In any case, I'll gladly wait for a game of the gear/complete edition to release as well as a price reduction and a sale. And frankly I tend to get a lot of the games I want to play from things like humble bundles before I'll even consider buying them anyway.

It more than pays off to be a little patient as a gamer. That's especially true for some of the more demanding games as advances in hardware makes it much more affordable to play games at max settings the further you get from the release date.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Because that was the gold standard for so long. It can easily be achieved. If they can't manage it, don't buy from them. Only an idiot would continuously buy products that don't work if their from the same company.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Certainly hope more broken games are like CP2077. Still my favourite game of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Well people really shouldn't expect a defective product....
    At this point.. I personally expect companies to release unfinished stuff for cash-grab then tell people that they will fix it later but then never follow through.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Because not every game releases broken at all? I bought several this year and I'd say Cyberpunk was the only one to launch in a bad state, although not an unplayable one on PC.

Plus, for some games it's a given I'll get them early. I'm a huge fan of Total War Warhammer, got hundreds of hours in both games 1 and 2. The third one is coming and it's the same team working on the same basic game on the same engine. I know I'll love it and sink hundreds more hours in it. Why not pre-order closer to release when I have all the info I need on what's coming with it?
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

At this point.. I personally expect companies to release unfinished stuff for cash-grab then tell people that they will fix it later but then never follow through.
    And that is a terrible expectation to have.

In terms of gaming, I rarely buy anything at launch anymore. For games I wait 6 months to a year, and then get the Ultimate edition that has all the DLC and its like $25 or less, however if a company really released an unfinished product, I won't buy it at all. I'd rather miss out on a great game, even if its fixed, then reward that type of business practice.

Hey.

because they are stupid enough to keep falling for it. that's the answer. as long as people are willing to preorder games before they see ACTUAL GAMEPLAY OF THE FINAL VERSION, then this kind of bs will keep happening.

15+ Year Old Account
    Look at all those western games. Couldnt be a pattern, could it?

Hey.

The people who buy these games are partial to blame. A lot of them want really great graphics. The game companies focus on that the most instead of making the game functional and making the features work.

I very rarely buy premium games mostly because I am not interested in most of them. I usually wait until they are on sale. The last premium game I bought at a premium price was Doom Eternal. Before that, I can't think of one for a long long time.

I don't buy a game cheap or premium without watching a lot of footage of it on youtube or twitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Why not have high expectations? I don't see the point in lowering the bar just to avoid potential disappointment, especially for these titanic corporations that now enjoy modern streams of profit from DLC, season passes, loot boxes etc. It's not like there have never been amazing video games that launched well.
    definitely this though. we used to get working products regularly. it's because of how stupid the consumer base is being that broken and buggy messes have become the norm. people need to stop lowering their standards. if you bought the console the game was suppose to run on but it didn't work and wouldn't begin working for 4-6 months because of patches, you'd have a class-action lawsuit on your hands. but apparently games are completely different according to idiots...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Look at all those western games. Couldnt be a pattern, could it?
    well there was the ff14 thing. so broken and buggy games being rushed out isn't a western only thing. that said, that is the exception for eastern culture. and ff14 has gotten to a point where it is stealing more and more wow players every year because of how much blizz keep screwing up.