i mean it's not even 50k anymore, that's days old numbers. 2 days ago it was 60k. yesterday it was even higher. it's inching closer and closer up to 75k every single day, and will end up being 75k, and all this crying for nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    i mean it's not even 50k anymore, that's days old numbers. 2 days ago it was 60k. yesterday it was even higher. it's inching closer and closer up to 75k every single day, and will end up being 75k, and all this crying for nothing...
    On that point - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/third-s...ck-2021-02-08/

Yet Wall Street analysts aren't banking on many changes, with Goldman Sachs expecting the same income thresholds as with the first checks — $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 for married couples.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll believe it when it happens but that's great. Hope the door hits him on the way out.

In reality his is bluffing to gain more influence. Make people think he will take his toys and go home so they'll suck up to him even more. The play seems to be kiss his ass while he holds Senate Dems hostage instead of telling him him that he is replaceable - which should be the start anyway because he nor a WV can be counted on.

Also I'm going to say it, centrists are losing clout. Time for the party to get with the times.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'll believe it when it happens but that's great. Hope the door hits him on the way out.

In reality his is bluffing to gain more influence. Make people think he will take his toys and go home so they'll suck up to him even more. The play seems to be kiss his ass while he holds Senate Dems hostage instead of telling him him that he is replaceable - which should be the start anyway because he nor a WV can be counted on.

Also I'm going to say it, centrists are losing clout. Time for the party to get with the times.
    They lost all their clout during the Obama years where the blue dog democrats gutted the ACA in the name of winning elections then lost or retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except I didn't blame Sanders? I simply said that if you read the text of the actual amendment, it simply gives him, as the Chair of the Senate Budget Committee, power to set limits so as not to increase the debt. It doesn't say he MUST, but that he MAY.

Which isn't to blame him, but to point out that the amendment didn't actually really do/change anything. And that proposals from folk like Manchine remain just proposals, and that we'll have to see where this nets out. This is the negotiation process for the bill now. Even with Democrats ignoring Republicans, the Democratic caucus is still pretty big yo. I hope they don't actually move ahead with more strict limits, but either way my check is getting donated anyways.

I will gladly stop crying and give Democrats props for not going through with this if they don't, I would LOVE to be wrong. But the fact that such a politically suicidal move is even being proposed is honestly still pretty shocking. Like I said, I don't have much faith in the Democratic party, but holy shit, this narrowing proposal is even worse than what I imagined. It's not even like Republican "fuck everyone" bad, it's like "so yeah, we don't actually want to win the midterms" bad, and could shake like an entire generation's faith in the Democratic party on the fast track to some fascism. I really really hope they do not go through with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    They lost all their clout during the Obama years where the blue dog democrats gutted the ACA in the name of winning elections then lost or retired.
    https://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/the-obamanauts
    It is by now a commonplace that the Obamanauts were unprepared for the obstruction of the Republican Party. Abrams’s oral history takes us significantly beyond that assumption, however, by demonstrating that from Day One—before Day One, in fact—they knew that the Republicans had no intention of playing Obama’s game of reasoned dialogue and bipartisan compromise. Jim Messina was Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff before Mastromonaco; he also ran Obama’s reelection campaign. Not long after Obama was elected in 2008, Messina sat down with a key Republican staffer on the Hill to discuss Obama’s stimulus plans. The staffer, whom Messina once dated, tells him, “Jim, we’re not going to compromise with you on anything. We’re going to fight Obama on everything.” He plaintively replies, “That’s not what we did for Bush.” She says, “We don’t care. We’re just going to fight.”

So it goes, from the stimulus package to the healthcare bill to Dodd–Frank to the debt ceiling to Merrick Garland. Each time, the Obamanauts waste precious time and resources trying to placate the Republicans with concessions of policy or appointment. Each time, the Republicans do exactly what that staffer promised they’d do. Each time, the Obamanauts seem surprised, even hurt. Each time, they kick themselves: not only did they not win the cooperation of the Republicans; they got no credit for trying. Lesson learned. And then they do it all over again.

Liberals tear their hair out when they read accounts like these. How did these people not see how they were adding to the Republican arsenal of intransigence? Why did they turn eight years of hope and change into Groundhog Day? But that assessment—that the Obamanuts made an error of judgment—fails to reckon with three elements of Obama’s public philosophy that render his refusal to confront the Republicans not a failure of tactics or strategy but a faithful reflection of his commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    But the fact that such a politically suicidal move is even being proposed is honestly still pretty shocking.
    ...why? This is like...really, really, really, really, really expected and obvious. Conservative Democrats were always going to have issues with the price tag, and Manchin was called out well before the election even happened as a potential stumbling block for Democrats on a host of issues in the Senate.

The only way this is shocking is if one hasn't been, and still isn't, paying attention.

Like I said, I don't have much faith in the Democratic party, but holy shit, this narrowing proposal is even worse than what I imagined.
    To read your posts, the Democratic party has been one foot in the grave for a while now.

It's not even like Republican "fuck everyone" bad, it's like "so yeah, we don't actually want to win the midterms" bad, and could shake like an entire generation's faith in the Democratic party on the fast track to some fascism. I really really hope they do not go through with it.
    Seriously, the amount of emphasis put on the checks vs. say, the increased unemployment insurance proposed, the push for $15/h min wage etc. is wild to me.

It's almost like a bunch of folks just want their stimmy checks and that's what they primarily care about.

...why? This is like...really, really, really, really, really expected and obvious. Conservative Democrats were always going to have issues with the price tag, and Manchin was called out well before the election even happened as a potential stumbling block for Democrats on a host of issues in the Senate.

The only way this is shocking is if one hasn't been, and still isn't, paying attention.

To read your posts, the Democratic party has been one foot in the grave for a while now.

Seriously, the amount of emphasis put on the checks vs. say, the increased unemployment insurance proposed, the push for $15/h min wage etc. is wild to me.

It's almost like a bunch of folks just want their stimmy checks and that's what they primarily care about.
    I don't know if you know this, but a lot of people are months on back rent owed and facing eviction or already evicted, unemployed, and struggling to feed their families. Food bank lines are miles long. We are in an economic crisis unseen since the Great Depression, estimated to likely be even worse. I know we've been stuck in our houses so the disconnect from hearing about this and actually *seeing it is there, but yeah, that's the current state of America. Oh and on top of that, almost half a million people are dead, too.

Also Biden is dropping the $15 min wage.

That article is from 06/13/19. How pathetic.

Exactly, it's why i laugh out loud when these selfish pricks cry they are progressive in any way, when they really just want to get theirs and give no fucks about anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdatik View Post
    That article is from 06/13/19. How pathetic.
    It's in character though. Equally pathetic for some kids in Orange County pretending to be on the bulwarks of Portland.

Enjolras is addressing the revolutionaries, but in a SoCal dialect.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Flower Milk has been bitching about Biden since at least December, couldn't even wait for inauguration before digging his grave.
    Ayup, and a long time before that as well. Guess all of that time spent "literally getting their head bashed in on the streets" as they liked to say took its toll. If everyone would quit quoting their nonsense I'd never have to see it again.

I don't know if you know this, but a lot of people are months on back rent owed and facing eviction or already evicted, unemployed, and struggling to feed their families. Food bank lines are miles long. We are in an economic crisis unseen since the Great Depression, estimated to likely be even worse. I know we've been stuck in our houses so the disconnect from hearing about this and actually *seeing it is there, but yeah, that's the current state of America. Oh and on top of that, almost half a million people are dead, too.

Also Biden is dropping the $15 min wage.
    Not too mention this is all based on 2019 income taxes. You could have been a restaurant manager making 55k in 2019 and next to nothing in 2020 becasue your job got furloughed due to covid.

It would be an incredibly bad play to lower the threshold. It would piss off a lot of people and it would be a win for the GOP if it happened.

But I also think this is mostly just virtue signaling to conservative constituents and folks like Manchin will back off on the amendment eventually and vote with the party on this.

Exactly, it's why i laugh out loud when these selfish pricks cry they are progressive in any way, when they really just want to get theirs and give no fucks about anyone else.
    Yeah it's just those greedy poors who want help from the government during a pandemic, what a bunch of takers!

Look at these greedy fucks in their fancy "cars" lining up to get food, ugh!

How are you guys different from Republican voters again?

Look at these greedy fucks in their fancy "cars" lining up to get food, ugh!

How are you guys different from Republican voters again?
    April 12, 2020

God damnit Biden and Democrats, why didn't the solve that problem then?! Why isn't he doing anything to help with food ass...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/05/bide...-stimulus.html

In an executive order signed Tuesday, Biden directed the Federal Emergency Management Agency to cover 100% of the cost to states and localities so they can partner with restaurants and nonprofits to prepare meals for soup kitchens and food pantries to distribute.
    FUCKING NEOLIBERAL BIDEN GOD DAMNIT, USING HIS AUTHORITY TO TRY TO REDUCE FOOD INSECURITY DURING A PANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Hadriker View Post
    Not too mention this is all based on 2019 income taxes. You could have been a restaurant manager making 55k in 2019 and next to nothing in 2020 becasue your job got furloughed due to covid.

It would be an incredibly bad play to lower the threshold. It would piss off a lot of people and it would be a win for the GOP if it happened.

But I also think this is mostly just virtue signaling to conservative constituents and folks like Manchin will back off on the amendment eventually and vote with the party on this.
    Exactly. I genuinely hope you're right, because my biggest worry is that stunts like this just fast track us to fascism by handing Republicans a win. I can't even imagine the level of outrage if 40 million people don't get aid during the worst global pandemic and economic crisis in a century. I could not think of a worst situation to just full speed ahead to fascism.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Just to touch briefly on Bernie and him supposedly "screaming" about things on "every media outlet," I posted this the other day;

He at least seems to be fine with the $1.4k as an addition to the $600. Something he said on one of these media outlets.
    Which is exactly why it makes 0 sense to narrow the $1400 to forty million less people which is what is being proposed. If it's supposed to add on to the $600 to total out the $2k Democrats/Biden promised, just cutting out forty million people and giving them nothing is lying about the promise you made.
    Last edited by Flower Milk; 2021-02-08 at 10:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadriker View Post

Perspective.
    We have lost an entire year in a country where more than half live paycheck-to-paycheck. The checks aren't just people can have a little extra money in their savings accounts.

April 12, 2020

God damnit Biden and Democrats, why didn't the solve that problem then?! Why isn't he doing anything to help with food ass...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/05/bide...-stimulus.html

FUCKING NEOLIBERAL BIDEN GOD DAMNIT, USING HIS AUTHORITY TO TRY TO REDUCE FOOD INSECURITY DURING A PANDEMIC!
    Cool, then you agree that we need to be getting out stimulus money immediately to people then? Unlike what you said, which is implying that people are just being greedy and want their "stimmy checks".

The government helping people during an economic crisis and global pandemic is good, actually.

Which is exactly why it makes 0 sense to narrow the $1400 to forty million less people which is what is being proposed. If it's supposed to add on to the $600 to total out the $2k Democrats/Biden promised, just cutting out forty million people and giving them nothing is lying about the promise you made.
    Just saying but like...I'm pretty sure the numbers on that graph that the random posted are like...not accurate. It seems that the person just took the US population and the rough amount that earn between 50-75K and did the math on that.

Which is like...not remotely accurate as it doesn't count for children/retirees, it doesn't differentiate between single vs. joint income, and per the persons own qualifiers doesn't include newly eligible people such as adult dependents and undocumented immigrants.

Also that's a shitty graph.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, then you agree that we need to be getting out stimulus money immediately to people then? Unlike what you said, which is implying that people are just being greedy and want their "stimmy checks".

The government helping people during an economic crisis and global pandemic is good, actually.
    I've never said we didn't need to get stimulus out and quickly? And my comments were more directed at the people here who can't stop posting about their $2K stimmy checks and trying to weaponize teachers and nurses.

And I agree. I just wish the people complaining about it all came a bit more informed about how the government actually works and were paying attention to politics beyond voting for the dude that promised a $2K check.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Just to touch briefly on Bernie and him supposedly "screaming" about things on "every media outlet," I posted this the other day;

He at least seems to be fine with the $1.4k as an addition to the $600. Something he said on one of these media outlets.
    Is this what Dems are doing now? Lying and clipping stuff out of context. "Well he said it if you only pay attention to this small clip".

His position, yesterday today and tomorrow, is that 1400 is fine if done quickly (and that clock is clicking). He won't hold up that vote. BUT, pay attention, immediately following that would be restitution if now reoccurring aid for those in need. Some see the 1400 as end, to him end of what should have been done and the beginning getting actual help to others.

Just saying but like...I'm pretty sure the numbers on that graph that the random posted are like...not accurate. It seems that the person just took the US population and the rough amount that earn between 50-75K and did the math on that.

Which is like...not remotely accurate as it doesn't count for children/retirees, it doesn't differentiate between single vs. joint income, and per the persons own qualifiers doesn't include newly eligible people such as adult dependents and undocumented immigrants.

Also that's a shitty graph.
    Undocumented immigrants have already been cut from the stimulus. Sorry for the Fox link but it's the one I found first.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...timulus-checks
    The Senate on Thursday approved an amendment to block illegal immigrants from receiving stimulus checks, as part of a marathon vote-a-rama -- with eight Democrats voting in favor of it.
    Like someone said above, it's also based off 2019 tax returns, like before the pandemic, which makes it even dumber.

But also, some Democrats are fighting back against it thankfully:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/stat...81696045793294

@RepJayapal(D-Wash.) says she is in "non-stop" conversations w/ White House officials trying to prevent stimulus check thresholds from being lowered to $50K

“The idea we should cave to one Democrat in the Senate does not make any sense to me," she says
    https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/stat...12810969567232

A spokesman for @ossoff confirmed that the new Georgia Senator is opposed to lowering the thresholds on the stimulus payments