Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I've just completed the Night Fae campaign and the only time (that I recall) in which the power of the Night Warrior was spread was just between two characters: the Night Warrior himself and his husband.

Shandris and Ysera then discuss the possibility of spreading the power of the Night Warrior through multiple people, not just two. That is an idea that could allow the Night Warrior to become a class on its own, lore-wise.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I understood correctly. I just don't accept your restrictive premises. Besides, you just reduced "using an assortment of brews to enhance themselves" to the same level as "character using alchemy potion", considering that using an alchemical potion is literally a "character using brews to enhance themselves".

Also, go read the Pandawa description and you'll find out that, even with your arbitrary restrictions, one example was found.
    They'd have to go back and change how Night Warrior functions because the lore states it's just basically magical steroids. There's no new abilities or anything even hinted at. And quite frankly, I'm sick of Blizzard making up more stupid shit that never existed for lore that's already established.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    They'd have to go back and change how Night Warrior functions because the lore states it's just basically magical steroids. There's no new abilities or anything even hinted at. And quite frankly, I'm sick of Blizzard making up more stupid shit that never existed for lore that's already established.
    Where does it say that? All I could find is that the Night Warrior empowers the recipient, but "empower" can mean "amplify current abilities" and also "grant new power".

As far as I know, nothing about the Night Warrior is set in stone other than "it empowers you" and "it will eventually kill you".

3+ Year Old Account
    Ok so, I've thought of a 'possibly good' way to introduce having a Necromancer class. I think the in-lore explanation is that some people seeking to master a forbidden art (I imagione that Warlocks are less popular due to the Legion being weakened), decide to go to Oribos and study the magic of the four (?) Afterlives there. Now, this can just be Maldraxxus, but I think having some Night Fae and Venthyr abilities would be cool too. I don't know if the sky/portals to the Shasdowlands will be sealed at the end of this expac, so please bear with me
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Ok so, I've thought of a 'possibly good' way to introduce having a Necromancer class. I think the in-lore explanation is that some people seeking to master a forbidden art (I imagione that Warlocks are less popular due to the Legion being weakened), decide to go to Oribos and study the magic of the four (?) Afterlives there. Now, this can just be Maldraxxus, but I think having some Night Fae and Venthyr abilities would be cool too. I don't know if the sky/portals to the Shasdowlands will be sealed at the end of this expac, so please bear with me
    They portals we use are most likely getting closed (in lore, at least. They'll remain open for gameplay reasons, of course, just like we can still return ot Argus despite the rift being closed) but I assume it's not hard to open a portal to the Shadowlands, considering simple acolytes of the Knights of the Ebon Blade are maintaining the portals being used at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator4321 View Post
    Yes i don't think Tinkers (or whatever Blizzard would call a Tech-class) would be designed after a particular hero the same way hero classes are designed after a particular iconic character mostly because the closest thing to an "iconic tinker" we have is Gazlowe or Mekkatorque who are D tier characters at best.

Same way the Monk wasn't designed on the fantasy of "being Chen Stormstout" and wasn't based entirely around the brewmaster/drunken boxer fantasy, it instead based itself on the more broad and standard fantasy monk archetypes like shaolin/wuxia martial artists and mystics (and then given a warcraft coat of paint in the form of pandaren culture), a Tinker class being entirely designed around being a comic relief midget in a mech suit who uses chicken bombs and shrink rays would be like if the Monk class was instead the Brewmaster class and based entirely around brewing and being drunk.

Not wanting a class concept I like being based around being a comic relief jokes means i don't like it? I like the idea of a Tech-class in fantasy settings, I like the artificer in D&D, Engineers in Warhammer fantasy, Machinists in Final Fantasy, Engineers in Guild Wars, ect. What I don't like is the same "small man made wacky device XD" joke we've had with Gnome/Goblin tech since the games inception, I wouldn't want a concept i like to be burdened with being entirely associated with two comic relief joke races, especially when we've seen more serious takes on technology in the warcraft universe from Dwarves, the Iron Horde and the Lightforged Draenei, I'd prefer if such a class would allow for such fantasies (dwarf/orc engineer, Draenei artificer) to be represented as well instead of being entirely about two races who have been nothing but comic relief since their introduction.

I don't like the idea of a comic relief tech-class, other people like Teriz do, it's perfectly fair for them to like it. It's just that I don't think a class should be designed entirely around that kind of aesthetic and tone, ideally if a tech-class became a thing those that like the comic relief gnome/goblin in a mech suit aesthetic would be free to make a gnome/goblin Tinker and have that comic relief inventor fantasy be available, meanwhile others would be free to make a non-gnome/goblin Tinker and be able to have their fantasy of a more serious take on a tech-class available.

Yes Paladins and Shamans once had a more specific fantasy of a holy light worshipping knight and a tribal spellcaster, now they've evolved and changed into something that allows for a more broad range of fantasies (such as the Zandalari prelate and the Tauren Sunwalker or the Dwarf and Kul Tiran shaman), I consider that a good thing. I think most classes should be designed around a broad range of archetypes to allow for more ways a particular concept can be expressed.

Hero classes being based on a more specific fantasy is fine because they're tied to a specific character and have their fantasies based on that particular character. Arthas for Death Knights and Illidan for Demon Hunters, I don't think Tinker's can be designed like that because they likely wouldn't be a hero class due to lacking a popular iconic character to base/represent that fantasy and should instead be designed to incorporate a more broad range of fantasies related to the idea of a tech-class, this doesn't mean the "gnome/goblin wacky inventor in a mech suit" fantasy can't be there but it would be designed as only a part of a greater concept, same way the Pandaren brewmaster became a spec of the much more broadly applicable Monk class.

I'd say as long as the overall class concept can be made distinct any overlap between specs is insignificant. We already have signicant overlap between things like Shadow Priests and Affliction Warlocks who are both shadow based spellcasters who use damage over time spells or Holy Paladins & Holy Priests are both Holy Light using healers but they are made distinct both due to the overall differences between how the base class operates and how the invidual specs operate (priest class having shadow/mind spells, Holy Paladins being frontline healers).

A Necromancer class as long as it was distinct in terms of visuals, gameplay or fantasy would be perfectly fine even though we have Death Knights, Affliction Warlocks & Shadow Priests of which there are plenty of distinctions that exist or could exist. We already have the spellcaster vs melee distinction (meaning necromancers can exist alongside death knights same way paladins exist alongside priests), we could have different types of magic or different ways it can be used such as Blood healing instead of tanking, poison-based spells, insect summoning, bone spikes/spears/projectiles vs bone armor/storms, constructs instead of zombies/ghouls, Anima based magic. thematically it could be based on the themes of the Shadowlands realms instead of the Scourge or the elements of the scourge not represented much within the Death Knight class (such as nerubians and constructs)
    That's a lot of text just for "cuz I dunt liek em"

Where does it say that? All I could find is that the Night Warrior empowers the recipient, but "empower" can mean "amplify current abilities" and also "grant new power".

As far as I know, nothing about the Night Warrior is set in stone other than "it empowers you" and "it will eventually kill you".
    im interested to see this as well
    all i can find are stories about what it did to tyrande and vague descriptions of the night fae couple

its description of the night warrior as being an avatar of elune's wrath is interesting and again there are points where even if she is just given a power boost how did she get access to lunar abilities as a priest??
    Last edited by Revamp Man; 2021-02-09 at 11:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    That's a lot of text just for "cuz I dunt liek em"
    Yeah, this is WoW tech as it relates to Goblins, which in turn would be used for a Tinker class;

It's not for everyone, but I do think it's a sorely needed theme for the class lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    im interested to see this as well
    all i can find are stories about what it did to tyrande and vague descriptions of the night fae couple

its description of the night warrior as being an avatar of elune's wrath is interesting and again there are points where even if she is just given a power boost how did she get access to lunar abilities as a priest??
    In b4 “just because” and the inevitable “it’s like the covenant system”

Quote Originally Posted by razorpax View Post
    In b4 “just because” and the inevitable “it’s like the covenant system”
    i mean you can make that argument for literally everything and its dumb
    "death knight wont be a class its just like the covenant system"
    "demon hunter doesnt need to be a class its just like the covenant system"
    when the truth is literally every class can be broken down to a covenant like system and its a dumb cop out to hand wave away a class the person doesnt like, either because they cant see it happening due to lack of imagination or because they are stubborn and dont think blizz will be extremely obvious again. WoW is a fantasy game (arguably high fantasy) so a class where you go from an elite guard of a black dragon to a guard empowered by literal dragons or you get empowered by a "goddess" (i see you eonar) is very likely for a class and to try and twist it to say otherwise while ignoring the fact we have similar classes is just dishonest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    i mean you can make that argument for literally everything and its dumb
    "death knight wont be a class its just like the covenant system"
    "demon hunter doesnt need to be a class its just like the covenant system"
    when the truth is literally every class can be broken down to a covenant like system and its a dumb cop out to hand wave away a class the person doesnt like, either because they cant see it happening due to lack of imagination or because they are stubborn and dont think blizz will be extremely obvious again. WoW is a fantasy game (arguably high fantasy) so a class where you go from an elite guard of a black dragon to a guard empowered by literal dragons or you get empowered by a "goddess" (i see you eonar) is very likely for a class and to try and twist it to say otherwise while ignoring the fact we have similar classes is just dishonest.
    The issue is that Dragonsworn in the TTRPG is pretty much a covenant style system. If you’re a Druid for example, you could link up with Malygos and lean Slow of Frost Nova. If you were a Rogue and you served Ysera, you could learn Ysera’s Gift or Rejuvenation.

That’s honestly what Dragonsworn is. Now you could make the argument that Blizzard could just make up something completely new, but they’ve never done that in the history of WoW. Every class has done a prior root in the the Warcraft universe, and this is especially the case with the expansion classes.

Also Shadowlands proves they don’t just pull classes out of their butts to go along with an expansion. If they did, they could have easily created a class to go along with this expansion, such as the Nightwarrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The issue is that Dragonsworn in the TTRPG is pretty much a covenant style system.
    It's not an issue. It's just the tabletop RPG system, and WoW is not in any way, shape or form shackled to the tabletop RPG that has been deemed non-canon

That’s honestly what Dragonsworn is.
    False, if you're talking about WoW. WoW is not the tabletop RPG.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2021-02-09 at 10:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not an issue. It's just the tabletop RPG system, and WoW is not in any way, shape or form shackled to the tabletop RPG that has been deemed non-canon

False, if you're talking about WoW. WoW is not the tabletop RPG.
    Except when we encounter other possible Dragonsworn like Timewalkers in WoW, they’re also established classes with dragon-given abilities.

The issue is that Dragonsworn in the TTRPG is pretty much a covenant style system.
    Actually, it's not, because you can't swap your Dragonsworn powers. It's a permanent fixture to your character whereas Covenants are completely changeable.

Also being a Dragonsworn in the TT is permanent prestige to your character, meaning you can't lose those powers when you start another campaign/arc, the way Covenants will be going away by the next expansion.

Dragonsworn is more like an actual class than Covenants if we're talking about the TT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Actually, it's not, because you can't swap your Dragonsworn powers. It's a permanent fixture to your character whereas Covenants are completely changeable.

Also being a Dragonsworn in the TT is permanent prestige to your character, meaning you can't lose those powers when you start another campaign/arc, the way Covenants will be going away by the next expansion.

Dragonsworn is more like an actual class than Covenants if we're talking about the TT.
    Yeah, but WoW doesn't offer permanent prestige to your character, so the only way it could be done is as a temporary prestige to your character like a covenant or an Azerite trait.

Yeah, but WoW doesn't offer permanent prestige to your character, so the only way it could be done is as a temporary prestige to your character like a covenant or an Azerite trait.
    Covenants aren't prestiges, they're just temporary factions like Scryer or Aldor that gives you access to some special abilities. They aren't actually changing your class identity.

Consider that a Paladin that has chooses any Covenant isn't actually considered any different than its original class. The WoW RPG Prestige is a literal class identity, and not just a temporary faction alliance. There's no 'temporary prestige' in the table top either. Prestige means you are changing your class identity. That's not what Covenants are doing since all it does is give you a couple new abilities, and you aren't gaining any new identity with it. You're just siding with the faction for the time being.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-10 at 12:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Covenants aren't prestiges, they're just temporary factions like Scryer or Aldor that gives you access to some special abilities. They aren't actually changing your class identity.

Consider that a Paladin that has chooses any Covenant isn't actually considered any different than its original class. The WoW RPG Prestige is a literal class identity, and not just a temporary faction alliance. There's no 'temporary prestige' in the table top either. Prestige means you are changing your class identity. That's not what Covenants are doing since all it does is give you a couple new abilities, and you aren't gaining any new identity with it. You're just siding with the faction for the time being.
    And again, there is no prestige system in WoW where you can take an existing character and turn it into a better version of your existing character. So it's either a covenant-style system for Dragonsworn, or nothing (if we're basing it on the TTRPG version).

And again, there is no prestige system in WoW where you can take an existing character and turn it into a better version of your existing character. So it's either a covenant-style system for Dragonsworn, or nothing (if we're basing it on the TTRPG version).
    Or it would be a new class

Death Knight, Brewmaster and Demon Hunter were all Prestige Classes in the TTRPG. Death Knight AND Brewmaster is in the same book that Dragonsworn is. If we're talking about TT translated into WoW, it would be as a new class.

No reason to assume it would be a Covenant 'if based on the TTRPG' since there are other classes in that same book that were given their own classes (or part of them as a spec).
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-10 at 12:36 AM.

Except when we encounter other possible Dragonsworn like Timewalkers in WoW, they’re also established classes with dragon-given abilities.
    Are they, really? Examples, please?

10+ Year Old Account
    Or it would be a new class
    How?

Let's try this; You're a Druid, you then become Dragonsworn. Do you retain your old Druid abilities like the TTRPG, or do you lose all of your Druid abilities and just get dragon-based abilities? The former wouldn't work because of simple ability bloat and balance problems. If you're doing the latter, why bother? Just create a new class.

Are they, really? Examples, please?
    Time walkers are all dragons aren’t they??