Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Sort of lost, a little confused, and rather bored with SL so far

Little history first, I have been playing WoW since vanilla, like most of you. I would consider myself a [H]ardcore casual if that makes any sense? Meaning I play almost every night, maybe for at least 30 minutes up to an hour or 90 minutes per night. So on average I say I play for an hour or so nightly, and a bit more on weekends.

I used to be a Raider big time, years ago, back in MoP and earlier expansions, when I had the time for 4 hour runs on a weeknight, but now that's not possible. So the most I do is low M+ keys, and World Quests, Campaign quests, transmog hunting, and mount hunting, etc...

Ok so Shadowlands, I was eagerly anticipating this expansion release, after BfA, which I thought was just ok, not terrible, but not great. And now that SL has been here for almost 3 months, I am a little disappointed, it just seems ok.

- Got my main my Undead Unholy DK to 60 right away, and completed the campaign, and ran dungeons, etc...got him to i198 gear, and then started to get a bit bored. and honestly confused as to what to do next? I bought 2 Legendary's at the AH, but found out can only equip one, and then it wasn't for the spec or build or Covenant or whatever. And that whole thing was a little confusing. So I am sitting here, level 60, done with all 9 campaign chapters, almost i200 geared, and lost as what to do next?

- So I started working on my alts that I also like, my Ret Paladin, Demon Hunter, Fury Warrior, BM Hunter, etc... got them to like level 55+ and working towards getting them to level 60, but it's slow going, as leveling up again is a bit of a chore, it's not hard by any means, just a bit boring going through all the same zones again.

My plan for now, is get them all to level 60, complete all their Campaigns, and gear them up a bit, and see which ones I truly like to play, and then just settle on like 2 main characters only, one Horde, and one Alliance, and concentrate on them for this expansion run.

I will say my fav expansion of the modern WoW era is Legion, I think Legion was the best expansion in many years, it has such great replay-ability, I still go back there to finish off stuff I didn't complete, like Class Hall quests, Artifact appearances, Class mounts, etc... Legion was so much fun, and it still is today. I'm in Legion areas or Dalaran city all the time, but can't say the same for places in BfA or WoD or MoP, I never go to those expansions anymore.

I love Dalaran city, easy to get around, not too large. I liked that Legion was mainly one large continent, not zones separated into islands, which made it faster and easier to get around.

And people might say I need a break from WoW, I'm burned out. No. I felt the same with WoD, just bored and not much to do, barely played, and then Legion came out, and I was glued to the game again for 2 years, playing 6 nights a week, couple hours each night, there was just so much to do in Legion for me.

Anyways, back to Shadowlands, I know it's early, and 9.1 will be out this Spring, and hopefully spruce things up again, but it is weird that this early on in a brand new expansion I am feeling a bit bored, and even confused as to all this stuff I'm supposed to be doing like Covenant gear, and legendary's, and Anima to get, and Soulbinding ( which I have no idea what that even is? ) is that the thing sort of like the Netherland Crucible in Argus in Legion? Ok my 60 DK does have Soulbinds then. Conduits? No clue.
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2021-02-09 at 04:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, once you get to ~200 gearing basically stops unless you're running keys over 10, doing rated PVP or Heroic CN. Outside, there's nothing much to do aside from World quests but those a) won't give you gear that you need or b) anything else you need. I don't see anything in my sanctum that's worth grinding anima for and once you have the legendary(s) you want, there's no real reason to run Torghast.

Of course you CAN do other stuff.. achievement hunting etc. But the expansion itself doesn't direct you or give you story related things to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Yep, once you get to ~200 gearing basically stops unless you're running keys over 10, doing rated PVP or Heroic CN. Outside, there's nothing much to do aside from World quests but those a) won't give you gear that you need or b) anything else you need. I don't see anything in my sanctum that's worth grinding anima for and once you have the legendary(s) you want, there's no real reason to run Torghast.

Of course you CAN do other stuff.. achievement hunting etc. But the expansion itself doesn't direct you or give you story related things to do.
    But if you don't do content above 10s or raid, do you actually need higher gear, then? Let's remember there's a difference between needing and wanting.

I don't see why you'd need 220+ ilvl to do 10s and world quests and whatnot.
    Hi

Few things I am not a fan of in Shadowlands;

- The separated zones, and how far apart they and long travel time to get to them. To go from one new zone to the next, why do we have to fly to Orb city and then go to the other zone, it takes forever, and gets old quick. I much prefer one giant continent with all new zones connected together, and no load screens flying from one zone to the other.

- No flight whistle, ugh, come on Blizzard.

- Oribos city, way to large, seriously, who thinks these huge cities are fun to get around? Give us something compact and fast to move around like Dalaran.

So you don't do dungeons, you don't raid, you don't PvP, and you're surprised you have nothing to do? That's literally the end game of WoW and always has been.

You're 200 ilvl but you don't do any content, so of course you aren't getting new gear. What would you even need the gear for?

You can still go farm mounts and transmog, you don't need gear for that.

So I guess I'm confused as to what the problem is, because it doesn't seem like there's any content you want to do, so of course you have nothing to do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post

I suppose that's the point. If you paint yourself as "casual" and refuse to do to content that is, for example, +10's or higher or heroic raids or rated PvP... then you don't need to do them because you don't want to do them.

But the content still exists, and if it comes down to "I'm bored/burned out, what do?" then the logical answer would be to do to more challenging content than what the "casual" has been doing.

I feel like eventually this kind of conversation will end up turning into "why can't I get higher item level gear from the content I do" which ends up being world quests, LFR, random BGs, low level keys. It's happen so many times already on this forum, especially back in BFA.

Good thing about Legion, was even if you weren't into Raiding and high M+10 keys, there was still plenty to do. Class Hall quests. Artifact appearances to hunt down and long quest lines to work on. Achievements to get Class mount. And World Quests actually dropped pretty good gear often. And World Bosses also dropped nice gear a lot as well.

I guess my question is, once your around i200 in Shadowlands, and don't Raid or do high M+, what's there to do now? And I don't mean just looking for higher gear, but what about specific mounts just for your class or something unique, or specific weapons you want for transmog, or cool looking Tier gear, etc...
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2021-02-09 at 05:00 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post

- The separated zones, and how far apart they and long travel time to get to them. To go from one new zone to the next, why do we have to fly to Orb city and then go to the other zone, it takes forever, and gets old quick. I much prefer one giant continent with all new zones connected together, and no load screens flying from one zone to the other.

- Oribos city, way to large, seriously, who thinks these huge cities are fun to get around? Give us something compact and fast to move around like Dalaran.
    What? Oribos is the smallest hub we've ever had.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess my question is, once your around i200 in Shadowlands, and don't Raid or do high M+, what's there to do now?

Keep doing what you say you've been doing.

If you are on a playground that has a jungle gym, swing set, slides, tether ball, four square... but you only play in the sandbox and sandbox only, it's not really the playground that is boring is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    What? Oribos is the smallest hub we've ever had.
    No way, why is it 2 levels? And walking around to get to each different room takes forever. Dalaran was super fast to move around, took like 5 seconds to get anywhere, in Oribos it takes like a minute to get anywhere.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Little history first, I have been playing WoW since vanilla, like most of you. I would consider myself a [H]ardcore casual if that makes any sense? Meaning I play almost every night, maybe for at least 30 minutes up to an hour or 90 minutes per night. So on average I say I play for an hour or so nightly, and a bit more on weekends.

I used to be a Raider big time, years ago, back in MoP and earlier expansions, when I had the time for 4 hour runs on a weeknight, but now that's not possible. So the most I do is low M+ keys, and World Quests, Campaign quests, transmog hunting, and mount hunting, etc...

Ok so Shadowlands, I was eagerly anticipating this expansion release, after BfA, which I thought was just ok, not terrible, but not great. And now that SL has been here for almost 3 months, I am a little disappointed, it just seems ok.

- Got my main my Undead Unholy DK to 60 right away, and completed the campaign, and ran dungeons, etc...got him to i198 gear, and then started to get a bit bored. and honestly confused as to what to do next? I bought 2 Legendary's at the AH, but found out can only equip one, and then it wasn't for the spec or build or Covenant or whatever. And that whole thing was a little confusing. So I am sitting here, level 60, done with all 9 campaign chapters, almost i200 geared, and lost as what to do next?

- So I started working on my alts that I also like, my Ret Paladin, Demon Hunter, Fury Warrior, BM Hunter, etc... got them to like level 55+ and working towards getting them to level 60, but it's slow going, as leveling up again is a bit of a chore, it's not hard by any means, just a bit boring going through all the same zones again.

My plan for now, is get them all to level 60, complete all their Campaigns, and gear them up a bit, and see which ones I truly like to play, and then just settle on like 2 main characters only, one Horde, and one Alliance, and concentrate on them for this expansion run.

I will say my fav expansion of the modern WoW era is Legion, I think Legion was the best expansion in many years, it has such great replay-ability, I still go back there to finish off stuff I didn't complete, like Class Hall quests, Artifact appearances, Class mounts, etc... Legion was so much fun, and it still is today. I'm in Legion areas or Dalaran city all the time, but can't say the same for places in BfA or WoD or MoP, I never go to those expansions anymore.

I love Dalaran city, easy to get around, not too large. I liked that Legion was mainly one large continent, not zones separated into islands, which made it faster and easier to get around.

And people might say I need a break from WoW, I'm burned out. No. I felt the same with WoD, just bored and not much to do, barely played, and then Legion came out, and I was glued to the game again for 2 years, playing 6 nights a week, couple hours each night, there was just so much to do in Legion for me.

Anyways, back to Shadowlands, I know it's early, and 9.1 will be out this Spring, and hopefully spruce things up again, but it is weird that this early on in a brand new expansion I am feeling a bit bored, and even confused as to all this stuff I'm supposed to be doing like Covenant gear, and legendary's, and Anima to get, and Soulbinding ( which I have no idea what that even is? ) is that the thing sort of like the Netherland Crucible in Argus in Legion? Ok my 60 DK does have Soulbinds then. Conduits? No clue.
    Also what, this part makes no sense as all of this is explained in game via both quests and actual items.

- - - Updated - - -

No way, why is it 2 levels? And walking around to get to each different room takes forever. Dalaran was super fast to move around, took like 5 seconds to get anywhere, in Oribos it takes like a minute to get anywhere.
    And Dalaran is in two levels too, but in Oribos why would you ever need to go down? The place is basically meaningless, aside from flightpaths and the vault/bank.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Good thing about Legion, was even if you weren't into Raiding and high M+10 keys, there was still plenty to do. Class Hall quests. Artifact appearances to hunt down and long quest lines to work on. Achievements to get Class mount. And World Quests actually dropped pretty good gear often. And World Bosses also dropped nice gear a lot as well.

I guess my question is, once your around i200 in Shadowlands, and don't Raid or do high M+, what's there to do now? And I don't mean just looking for higher gear, but what about specific mounts just for your class or something unique, or specific weapons you want for transmog, or cool looking Tier gear, etc...
    If you don't partake in the endgame (raiding, high M+, rated PVP), then you are done; you've beaten the patch to this point.
    Maybe go clear twisting corridors for a mount in the Maw to get stygia to put sockets on some gear? Not much else for you to do.

Only since Vanilla? This won't do.

We only accept feedback of those who played in family alpha and other early stages of alpha.
    Not to mention you have to be veteran of Warcraft 3, 2 and 1.
    Do you have a certificate of WoW Veteran Player?

This post is no way related to you mentioning playing WoW since vanilla in your first sentence.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

False Legion had one good piece of loot from world bosses. An overtuned stat trinket. World bosses drop 207 loot now and conduits. They are more useful now than in Legion.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    So you don't do dungeons, you don't raid, you don't PvP, and you're surprised you have nothing to do? That's literally the end game of WoW and always has been.

You're 200 ilvl but you don't do any content, so of course you aren't getting new gear. What would you even need the gear for?

You can still go farm mounts and transmog, you don't need gear for that.

So I guess I'm confused as to what the problem is, because it doesn't seem like there's any content you want to do, so of course you have nothing to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    But if you don't do content above 10s or raid, do you actually need higher gear, then? Let's remember there's a difference between needing and wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    I suppose that's the point. If you paint yourself as "casual" and refuse to do to content that is, for example, +10's or higher or heroic raids or rated PvP... then you don't need to do them because you don't want to do them.

But the content still exists, and if it comes down to "I'm bored/burned out, what do?" then the logical answer would be to do to more challenging content than what the "casual" has been doing.

I feel like eventually this kind of conversation will end up turning into "why can't I get higher item level gear from the content I do" which ends up being world quests, LFR, random BGs, low level keys. It's happen so many times already on this forum, especially back in BFA.
    Didn't we learn this lesson in WoD though?

If there's no more character progression, which in WoW is gear level, then people just quit. In WoD, after you got the gear you needed from dungeons and LFR character progression was over. The same thing is happening in Shadowlands.

No titanforging does have a downside. Not saying titanforging was good and needs to come back as is, but there is a tension point between longevity of casual content and feeling you can still get upgrades vs a completely discouraging 0% chance.

I think there's probably a nice middle ground solution but we'll see how this plays out.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2021-02-09 at 05:11 PM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

lol yeah no, try again. no load screens. also it's just as fast as previous expansions, so if time is what you're complaining about then yeah it's not slower than BfA or Legion

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFinlot View Post
    Only since Vanilla? This won't do.

We only accept feedback of those who played in family alpha and other early stages of alpha.
    Not to mention you have to be veteran of Warcraft 3, 2 and 1.
    Do you have a certificate of WoW Veteran Player?

This post is no way related to you mentioning playing WoW since vanilla in your first sentence.
    I did have a chuckle at that also
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    it's a ring. if you don't know where something is, you either ask a guard or run to where you know it is. takes 20 seconds tops either way. top level is flight path and maw entrance only, there's basically nothing up there.

you're complaining about such trivial things, and often have it so incredibly wrong (loading screens on flight paths), that I wonder if you have actually played...

Did we play same addon? Back in a day before even first patch there was not class mounts, Balance of Power was timegated more than covenant are, worldquests drop gear just below normal raid as they do now. And world bosses drops 1 item that was useful, arcane stone from jim.
    Drop your pink glasses, it is same content pause like any other expansion.
    And for now you have plenty of covenant content, as garden of NF or fabric of necrolords.
    You have that freedom of playing as much as you want and not as much as raidleader tell you to do.
    To play alts, mount farm, pet and toy hunting and even pvp and not farming that bloody MoS for artifact power.

10+ Year Old Account

Covenant campaign are fun maybe try to do some switching with covenants and do their story?

There are some unique transmog cool sets from the covenants sanctum and some rare mounts are only accessible for some certain specific covenant.