Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Should we have another war?

Simple as that - should there be another faction war on a scale of Cata or BfA? And not just some skirmish on the border that is forgotten a week after it started and ended after both parties got tired and went to the tavern but an actual warfare with both factions actively engaging in it.

Personally i cant stomach any more of that stale crap they call "war" which makes me actually loathe it (which is the first game about war that made me feel this way) (maybe thats because i mostly main night elves which makes me feel like i am not fighting but rather being gassed in a "shower room" each time war starts).

But at the same time i fucken crave it since the only way for Alliance to actually move forward without night elves and worgen ejecting from it is to wage war and avenge the BfA in some absurdly bloody murder fiesta.

Which will also allow Horde to have some moral parity with Alliance, maybe waging war honorably, even if at the cost of quickness of their campaign or something like that. Not "hampering" themselves but also visibly slowing down because they refuse to sunk to "Old Horde/Sylvanas" level and mass murder civilians or burn down populated centers instead of taking it more conventionally.

While Alliance can have "madness of war" narrative when we see many characters broken by BfA, now only wanting to either even the score by slaughtering and burning as much as they can or seeing horde as potentially too powerful and calculating that only a "culling of the Horde" (herd pun, heh, look i am funny...) can save Alliance's future. Which will also hamper them - all that civilian hunting, executions, enslavement and such will slow down the advance while making locals and maybe even neutral forces refuse to cooperate with Alliance since they see their acts as empty hatred and waste of life.

In the end we can finish it all off with either a huge battle after which both factions can fight no more , not just "oh we kinda low on troops" but actual depiction of a battlefield littered with corpses all the way to horizon with faction leaders bloody and dying there, when there is no hands left to fight and swords and axes are blunted and broken.

After that they can either make both factions cut ties forever, Horde doing so because they dont want to "continue the cycle" and Alliance doing so because they cant stand the Horde and see them as absolute monsters OR because more "goodie" leaders of the Alliance see their own faction as no longer right in this war.

Or they can throw in a big bad who will take down both factions, maybe not a "Big Bad" as a singular figure but some organization or "order" which grew in secrecy, maybe even using this war to recruit more people into their ranks since "Horde and Alliance are at it again, see, they cant govern Azeroth! But we can..."

Frankly speaking i am tired of war, and have little faith in writers (scratch that - i have NO faith in them) but now, all the way since BfA there is simply no other feasible way for factions to coexist. Yeah, even with Horde Council in place, you heard me. At this point Alliance forgiving the horde will lead to Alliance (at least logically) losing several member races and as a player i cant stand looking back at BfA. It was a travesty and it can only be remade in blood, guts and absolute agony to even the score and THEN throw the war narrative out entirely.

Doing another war will fail. It's boring. We've done it. We need new story, not the same story but with different characters. It's like the Star Wars writers were like 'No one will realize that the First Order is the same exact thing as the Empire. We'll make it different - the First Order death star will kill 5 planets at a time! It's different!'

Of course not. Keep the conflict small-scale. A Vanilla-style cold war allows for faction conflicts and tensions, featuring those characters that actually care about these things, without having some global world war that quickly becomes a plot tumor, involves characters that have no business being there, and can only ever end inconclusively because of the format. We've been through this twice and it was terrible twice, with the second time being even worse. Madness would be to repeat the same plotlines and expect different results.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

5+ Year Old Account
    As long as it gets us rid of Baine, Calia and all the bunch of Alliance sycophants, I'm all for it. You can burn Orgrimmar to the ground if it makes you feel better, as long as your moustache-twirling Stupid Evil™ leader throws a mana bomb on Ironforge or something just for the lolz. Which apparently equals to "character focus" for some of the most pro-Ally, woe-is-me fans in these boards.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Doing another war will fail. It's boring. We've done it. We need new story, not the same story but with different characters. It's like the Star Wars writers were like 'No one will realize that the First Order is the same exact thing as the Empire. We'll make it different - the First Order death star will kill 5 planets at a time! It's different!'
    And i agree with that, as i already said the faction war was kind of overused. But on the other hand i stopped playing in 8.1 and will likely never return because i feel like my favorite race (second favorite are blood elves and third are dwarves) got pounded into bloody pulp, "showered" and then left to dry in the sun like some obscene guro manga character.

And the only way to escape that was to leave the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    As long as it gets us rid of Baine, Calia and all the bunch of Alliance sycophants, I'm all for it. You can burn Orgrimmar to the ground if it makes you feel better, as long as your moustache-twirling Stupid Evil™ leader throws a mana bomb on Ironforge or something just for the lolz. Which apparently equals to "character focus" for some of the most pro-Ally, woe-is-me fans in these boards.
    In the duration of BfA i went from a squealing fanboyism about Blizz to absolute disgust, its not "woe is me" its just way too many hits thrown at us. Which was only magnified by an absolute orgy of assholish humor and mockery that horde unleashed during the Pre-Event and after it. It was like being told to eat shit by the script and then also being mocked for that by other actors.

Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    And i agree with that, as i already said the faction war was kind of overused. But on the other hand i stopped playing in 8.1 and will likely never return because i feel like my favorite race (second favorite are blood elves and third are dwarves) got pounded into bloody pulp, "showered" and then left to dry in the sun like some obscene guro manga character.

And the only way to escape that was to leave the game.

- - - Updated - - -

In the duration of BfA i went from a squealing fanboyism about Blizz to absolute disgust, its not "woe is me" its just way too many hits thrown at us. Which was only magnified by an absolute orgy of assholish humor and mockery that horde unleashed during the Pre-Event and after it. It was like being told to eat shit by the script and then also being mocked for that by other actors.
    God forbid, we dare have development in a series about war and suffering! How could war and suffering possibly mean something for a race in a story about war and suffering? It's absolutely insane!

Anyway, Night Elves have gotten the spotlight from Legion to Shadowlands. I think you're just looking for someone to jack off the Elves because Elf fans seem to be like that.

But at the same time i fucken crave it since the only way for Alliance to actually move forward without night elves and worgen ejecting from it
    Lol. What would stop the Horde from taking Kalimdor if the Night Elves were all alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    God forbid, we dare have development in a series about war and suffering! How could war and suffering possibly mean something for a race in a story about war and suffering? It's absolutely insane!

Anyway, Night Elves have gotten the spotlight from Legion to Shadowlands. I think you're just looking for someone to jack off the Elves because Elf fans seem to be like that.
    Oh, what a steaming hot take. A bit gooey on the sides but you tried.

"War and suffering" seems to targe night elves and Alliance in general far more then the Horde. Even in small details like having actual stacks of coffins in Stormwind harbor with weeping widows and orphans. Horde never gets that kind of tear-jerking, painful depiction of war.

Night elves got jobbed in Pandaria as they kept failing from failing to find a source of immortality to failing in securing the Bell and in Legion you can only write down Val'Sharah as "night elven" but it mostly another "all inclusive" Cenarion Circle place. While Suramar and Highmountain pretty much all horde, at least now.

If you want that amazing and deep "war is hell" narrative then open up and be ready to receive, not just "give".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelduril View Post
    Lol. What would stop the Horde from taking Kalimdor if the Night Elves were all alone?
    What stops them from taking it when they are not alone? Alliance pretty much left them alone in BfA and Anduin refused to send any help to Darkshore.

Plus, at this point what is there to take? Darkshore? Because thats the last zone night elves have.

Yes. We must stop all the other food groups. The cheese stands alone. And so they must be forced to learn..

Clearly, it's the Trias family against all of the tauren. Cheese VS beef. Only one can survive.

I'm pretty tired of the back and forth. one moment, we're getting along. the next, we're at odds again. it doesn't make sense for the characters to get to a point where they actually like each other then flip flop and decide murder is the best option. why can't the PVP stuff be explained as friendly competition rather than bloodlust?

Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    I'm pretty tired of the back and forth. one moment, we're getting along. the next, we're at odds again. it doesn't make sense for the characters to get to a point where they actually like each other then flip flop and decide murder is the best option. why can't the PVP stuff be explained as friendly competition rather than bloodlust?
    Hell if i know. But if we have to then at least it can be done better then trying to push some weird ideas of "war is bad" and yet "sometimes mass murder is okay" at the same time. It just looks bizarre.

What stops them from taking it when they are not alone? Alliance pretty much left them alone in BfA and Anduin refused to send any help to Darkshore.

Plus, at this point what is there to take? Darkshore? Because thats the last zone night elves have.
    Feralas, Winterspring, Moonglade.

And the Alliance as a whole placates the Horde. It's MAD.

Feralas, Winterspring, Moonglade.

And the Alliance as a whole placates the Horde. It's MAD.
    Feralas has one fortress which right now likely empty since their army is on Darkshore. Winterspring never was elven, its a neutral zone that has more goblins then elves. Moonglade? Seriously? Its Cenarion Circle which takes all kinds from Tauren to trolls.

Plus... i think it was in Elegy? It mentioned how night elves abandoned most of their settlements on Kalimdore and moved to Ashenvale and Darkshore due to Horde's aggression. They needed to band together to have higher hopes of survival.

And yes, placating the horde is mad but thats what Anduin is all about. Good luck horde has Baine or otherwise they would have bled Alliance dry via Anduin's absolute political ineptitude.

Feralas has one fortress which right now likely empty since their army is on Darkshore. Winterspring never was elven, its a neutral zone that has more goblins then elves. Moonglade? Seriously? Its Cenarion Circle which takes all kinds from Tauren to trolls.

Plus... i think it was in Elegy? It mentioned how night elves abandoned most of their settlements on Kalimdore and moved to Ashenvale and Darkshore due to Horde's aggression. They needed to band together to have higher hopes of survival.

And yes, placating the horde is mad but thats what Anduin is all about. Good luck horde has Baine or otherwise they would have bled Alliance dry via Anduin's absolute political ineptitude.
    What would you have done in Anduin's position?

What would you have done in Anduin's position?
    I wouldnt be in his position because of instead of sending an army to Silithus i would have positioned it in Ashenvale, aimed at Orgrimmar. So if horde moves their army to snatch azerite in Silithus their capital goes "whoosh".

Oh, what a steaming hot take. A bit gooey on the sides but you tried.

"War and suffering" seems to targe night elves and Alliance in general far more then the Horde. Even in small details like having actual stacks of coffins in Stormwind harbor with weeping widows and orphans. Horde never gets that kind of tear-jerking, painful depiction of war.

Night elves got jobbed in Pandaria as they kept failing from failing to find a source of immortality to failing in securing the Bell and in Legion you can only write down Val'Sharah as "night elven" but it mostly another "all inclusive" Cenarion Circle place. While Suramar and Highmountain pretty much all horde, at least now.

If you want that amazing and deep "war is hell" narrative then open up and be ready to receive, not just "give".

- - - Updated - - -

See: Horde constantly replacing whoever's in charge like it's musical chairs.

not unless they're about to spread the focus to more than just a couple faction leaders as the sole focus of said war.

edit:

Honestly, we kind of need to keep faction conflict around in some form because that's what the game is known for... but BFA stands as an example of how badly it can turn out.

There's way too much Cosmic shit to explore before I'd ever want another faction war. The Warcraft universe is still mostly unexplored.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I am sick of the Alliance vs Horde being the war in war craft. End the factions conflict already. He'll it doesn't make sense for half the horde to still be horde. Draw up an armistice. Let us go cross faction guilds etc... let's raid by bringing your friends not their faction.
    You can still leave war mode as an option to let people opt in but let non war mode just be truly pve.

"Should we have another war?"

No? We just finished BFA. Alliance and Horde tensions can still exist (Cause, of course they will), but to make it the center of an expansion once more? lol no

If BFA lost focus on the Alliance Vs Horde conflict midway into the expansion, why would any other Expac focus on the shit?

Besides, we're in a lot of Cosmic shit rn. Doubt we'll get an Alliance Vs Horde expac for awhile. Give us a Dark/Scarlet Alliance with Yrel, Lothraxion, Turalyon, and the Scarlet Crusade for 10.0 (During our potential Light/Shadow expac, IF they go this route for 10.0 and not some random other route, which is still possible), as that will give us a lot of Alliance drama. But please, for the love of fuck, don't give us another faction war. We've literally proven time and time again just how pointless they are at the end of the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    There's way too much Cosmic shit to explore before I'd ever want another faction war. The Warcraft universe is still mostly unexplored.
    This is honestly why I like SL more than BFA in terms of story. The Cosmic War is actually interesting and unique. The Faction War is tired and dumb, especially now.