Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    the zone design in SL imo is factor 1000 worse than every other xpac. even cata world revamp was 800 times better. i hope Blizz use this zone design (when you even can call it so) never ever again and go straight back to the old version.

brrrr hell is it terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Absolutely terrible.
    this is the short version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    Now that we have all played shadowlands for awhile, how are you guys liking the fact the zones are not connected with each other unless you go back to the "portal" room in Oribos. Imo it makes the world feel a lot smaller than usual... but I think we will really notice it when flying is introduced and you can't fly over to the next zone most likely without heading back to town.
    I don't mind, I just wish there would be more gateways so we didn't have to cross through Oribos everytime.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Wow I forgot about the Maw. :'D
    let me try to combine here WHY you forgot about the Maw: There is not much to forget! Thats the reason why it is so easy to forget.

10+ Year Old Account
    The flying paths are the idiotic part. If you're in southern Maldraxxus and want to fly to northern Bastion, the flight path will take you back to Oribos. But wait, that's not the worst part, is that when going from oribos to Bastion it will fly down south first, turn up to fly through the central town to then go north. I mean....

I like one big continent with all zones connected to each other for an expansion;

I recall seeing Northrend for the first time in Wrath, and I don't mean ICC area, but the zones Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord. In terms of massive scale and size, and open world. I was blown away with the scale and how wide open and big sky they had. They just looked and felt massive. Borean Tundra was just HUGE. And all the zones were connected, in one giant continent.

That what I like for a WoW expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefellah View Post
    I'm counting 5...

Ardenweald
    Revendreth
    Maldraxxus
    Bastion
    The Maw

Compared to the previous three expansions its really just one less:
    WOD: 6
    Legion: 6
    BFA: 6

I'm also not convinced the zones are really that small.
    BFA really only had 3 meaningful zones for each character... that's problematic. The other faction zones are maybe 1/4 of a full zone for the character.

I haven't played Shadowlands yet, but I can say I didn't like how the high level zones were separated from each other in Cataclysm. I've always been a compact package kind of man when it comes to new areas in WoW. In that sense WoD frustrated me too by excluding Tanaan (and Farahlon too tbh) from 6.0.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

They aren't attached in order to hide the loading screens.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefellah View Post
    I'm counting 5...

Ardenweald
    Revendreth
    Maldraxxus
    Bastion
    The Maw

Compared to the previous three expansions its really just one less:
    WOD: 6
    Legion: 6
    BFA: 6

I'm also not convinced the zones are really that small.
    I wouldn't count the Maw as being a whole zone, as there is a mechanic that limits your time/what you can do there. So maybe 0.2 of a zone.

It's really bad. It's probably the worst thing about the expansion, apart from the lore and story itself. It's never felt more disjointed than before.

honestly... it's not even something that registers to me. connected or not, I can't say I bothered with worrying about ground passages in the game since TBC or some select periods before the devs granted flying back in. Flight paths and their integration into most questlines sort of rendered the 'connected' areas as much separated regardless.

I dislike the separated format (either Cataclysm with zones all over Azeroth, BFA with 2 landmasses and now SL with the completely detached areas). I rather have one big landmass like Outland, Northrend, Pandaria.

When we get flying it's just gonna get more awkward since i have a strong impression you'll still have to flight path between them\to oribos.

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    Now that we have all played shadowlands for awhile, how are you guys liking the fact the zones are not connected with each other unless you go back to the "portal" room in Oribos. Imo it makes the world feel a lot smaller than usual... but I think we will really notice it when flying is introduced and you can't fly over to the next zone most likely without heading back to town.
    Blizzard tend to repeat mistakes of the past. That suggests, that old devs no longer work in Blizzard. We had same problem back in Cata. And while I had no problem with it, many players were upset, that locations were disjoined. And now they're disjoined again. Do Blizzard really think, that making them formally joined (they're formally on the same map blah blah blah) can dismiss simple fact, that they're actually disjoined?

For me major problem is long travel time between WQs. I call it "World of AFKCraft". When I complete WQ, it's easier for me to just hearth back to covenant. Because if WQ isn't on the same map, then I'll have to perform that famous Oribos trip anyway. And it takes sooooooooo long, that I've got used to Alt-Tabbing and reading something on forums. Ehhh. At the end Blizzard make players get used to bad designs, instead of fixing them. Back in MOP times I would most likely just forget to Alt-Tab back to Wow and would log out, stop playing and then unsub. And now it's norm. Yeah.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2021-02-11 at 04:13 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't really mind the setup. Using a flight path to connect them is less annoying then having the boat be the only transition point. It also isn't as disconnected as Cataclysm was with the zones scattered across an existing continent. They can easily add "portals" once flying opens up at zone borders to remove the need of the flight paths.

But much of the empty space is connected since plenty of people have already used gliders/stuff to get places so flying won't be to big of an issue.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Love hate sort of thing. I like it but wish I didn't always have to fly through Oribos. Gives a good break point for pee breaks,etc.
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

I don't mind the zones being separated. I would have preferred each zone be a bit bigger, and Bastion in particular to have a better arrangement of flight paths.

They should really let us fly in and around Oribos, and then make it so we can just fly up into the gate on our flying mounts, go through the in-between on the worm, and get spit back out on the other side still riding our flying mount. If we fly too far out, just add a fatigue bar like flying over deep ocean.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dislike it. Don't know how else they could have gone about making them more cohesive and connected but there's gotta be a better solution than what we currently have. Like it makes sense lorewise since they're different realms of the after life and not land masses in one giant connected world but gameplay wise it's awful and I can't see how flying will work with it.

Love it.

Guys, you've had many expansions of single, continuous continents. Can't we occasionally have an expansion without one? It's so arbitrary and limiting that every expansion *has* to have a single continuous landmass.

If all the zones were continuous, it would make the shadowlands seem really, really small. This is supposed to be a massive realm, not just a big island.

I do agree that travel between zones should be quicker (just give us argus-style teleporters please), but I would be genuinely upset if the shadowlands was just another continent.

feels like the long flight paths in vanilla. perfect for loo or grabbing a coffee

3+ Year Old Account
    The way I understand it each realm is basically its own planet, or planet like place.

So it makes no sense for them to be connected as if they were part of the same continent / planet.