Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm sure some people like it. But, that is not my opinion.
    Rogalicus seems personally afronted that i don't share his and he needs to get over it. I didn't come here to tell everyone what to think, i came to tell my opinion, which he seem to be unable to accept and i entertained for far too long now.
    Might be time to add to the blacklist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    That's a strange take, considering that all the games that built the genre were largely the same formula, too.

Claiming that it was somehow unique to WoW at the time or that it was a new idea that "killed the genre" is plainly false.
    I mean, UO, Asheron's Call, AO, DAoC, SWG and CoH weren't exactly the same formula. WoW is largely attributed to bunch of burned out EQ players making attempt to polish EQ's gameplay and raiding. Most high profiled releases that followed WoW (aside from Korean MMOs) were mostly carbon copies of WoW, from gameplay to UI: WoW in Middle Earth (LOTRO), WoW but with some DAoC remnants (WAR), WoW in another fantasy world (Allods Online), WoW in another fantasy world (Rift), WoW in a galaxy far, far away (SWTOR). I think it ends after SWTOR, because investors looked at the results and decided to not bother anymore, so there were only handful of western releases after that (in a decade), which were mostly their own things. I could've also mentioned Vanguard, but it was more like "what if EQ2 was developed by original EQ's lead designer".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Might be time to add to the blacklist.
    Feel free to, you've been on mine for over a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I mean, UO, Asheron's Call, AO, DAoC, SWG and CoH weren't exactly the same formula. WoW is largely attributed to bunch of burned out EQ players making attempt to polish EQ's gameplay and raiding. Most high profiled releases that followed WoW (aside from Korean MMOs) were mostly carbon copies of WoW, from gameplay to UI: WoW in Middle Earth (LOTRO), WoW but with some DAoC remnants (WAR), WoW in another fantasy world (Allods Online), WoW in another fantasy world (Rift), WoW in a galaxy far, far away (SWTOR). I think it ends after SWTOR, because investors looked at the results and decided to not bother anymore, so there were only handful of western releases after that (in a decade), which were mostly their own things. I could've also mentioned Vanguard, but it was more like "what if EQ2 was developed by original EQ's lead designer".

- - - Updated - - -

Feel free to, you've been on mine for over a year.
    Clearly not, cause you managed to reply to me.

I don't know anyone that plays it

See, this is why the discussion is silly.

You talk about how "trinity" games are somehow all failures, then rattle off a list of different games, half of which are closed and the other half are barely known in comparison. If games like EQ, EQ2, FFXI, etc are "failures" to you, then what are CoH, AC or SWG?

It's just a silly debate all around. Trinity-based games have been some of the most successful, long-standing games that have defined the genre in the eye of the community. That's not me arguing that non-trinity based games are bad, it's just a fact, is all.
    First of all, I think I should make clear that my argument wasn't about trinity, it was about "vertical progression instance-centered theme park" heavily popularized by WoW, a concept that somehow overtook an idea of MMO being a vast living world and transformed it into "queue and AFK" gameplay we know now. Surprisingly it's more prevalent in FFXIV, even WoW still tries to hold a resemblance of what genre was originally.

EQ2 is certainly a failure, it never was big and has something like 10k subs now, way under the first game. I didn't call EQ and FFXI failures, but they came before WoW and AFAIK don't even have the same trinity. IIRC holy trinity in EQ was something like "healer, tank, controller" with DPS being an afterthought. You couldn't just pull everything in sight and mow them down with AoE.

And GW2 has dedicated tank/support and heal/support builds, which makes your take even less relevant, they are just not imposed in most of the content.
    Looking for Raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    No, it did not work. It's in decline. The studio layed off half it's work force and couldn't get GW3 greenlit. Patches are being smaller and further between

WoW and FF are successful, have millions of players, have regular expansions. There is no debate to be had here. You are not entitled to what i would like to see happen and your logic is unconvincing. Guild wars doesn't belong to you. I am as much a fan as you and i would like to see it change. Can't deal with my opinion? Your problem. Move along.
    Now you're just spewing unsubstantiated claims...

NCSoft canceled an unknown project frankly because Anets management had lost its mind, there was scope creep up their behinds. No one knows what they were. Since then Anet has had favorable earning reports. Their formula has always worked as being the alternative to the EQ/WoW setup. And the numbers show. One does not need WoW numbers to show that the formula works, same way you said the hundreds failed games that used the EQ/WoW formula doesn't mean that system does not work.

Seriously if you you're an MMORPG player not playing WoW or FFXIV, you are playing GW2. Maybe ESO.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-02-06 at 07:02 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

PvP in Guild Wars 2 is not fun compared to 1; also, the paywall for bag space, I'm not paying $200 per character to unlock everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is preventing me from coming back to Guild Wars 2 ?

This is entirely a personal opinion and I haven't touched the game in 2 years so I have no idea if things have changed, but a lot of things were not clear to me at all. What's a boon (buff I think?) and what's a condition (debuff?). Some easy things like that were (and still are) unclear to me on how they work and what they do.
    Different Spells with different Weapons looks like a nice idea, but I never got the hang on swapping Weapons around during combat and it was unclear to me if the things I did were effective for either myself or my partymembers.
    I understand I should've looked into it and watched some Guides to know specific Builds and how certain aspects work, but if I may compare it to World of Warcraft, a lot of things are explained a lot more clear there compared to GW2. This again could be me since I've played WoW for 12 years and seen it change and dumbed down.
    There's various storylines, but when and how do I get them and how do they collide together in a cohesive story ? There's different Expansions now and how do I know which part belongs where. My girlfriend (who got me into GW) once said "GW2 doesn't really have a hierarchy, endgame or "BiS", you just do the things you enjoy and everyone can play the game how they want since it's all pretty well balanced. You're free to do whatever you want and how you want it".
    There are quite a big number of things I still wonder on how they work, but since I haven't found people who are willing to teach someone new things I lose motivation.

Mainly it's losing motivation since there is no driving force or direction. Something other games do have.
    Last edited by Mhyroth; 2021-02-06 at 08:18 PM.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

This seasons living story has been nothing but one big pile of hot gabage.

So until the next expansion or a new living story season comes, im out
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    This seasons living story has been nothing but one big pile of hot gabage.

So until the next expansion or a new living story season comes, im out
    I think it's been fine besides the the visions of the past or whatever and the first release with DRMs. Yeah but even Anet says not their best since a lot of people got transferred to the expac.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mhyroth View Post
    What is preventing me from coming back to Guild Wars 2 ?

This is entirely a personal opinion and I haven't touched the game in 2 years so I have no idea if things have changed, but a lot of things were not clear to me at all. What's a boon (buff I think?) and what's a condition (debuff?). Some easy things like that were (and still are) unclear to me on how they work and what they do.
    Different Spells with different Weapons looks like a nice idea, but I never got the hang on swapping Weapons around during combat and it was unclear to me if the things I did were effective for either myself or my partymembers.
    I understand I should've looked into it and watched some Guides to know specific Builds and how certain aspects work, but if I may compare it to World of Warcraft, a lot of things are explained a lot more clear there compared to GW2. This again could be me since I've played WoW for 12 years and seen it change and dumbed down.
    There's various storylines, but when and how do I get them and how do they collide together in a cohesive story ? There's different Expansions now and how do I know which part belongs where. My girlfriend (who got me into GW) once said "GW2 doesn't really have a hierarchy, endgame or "BiS", you just do the things you enjoy and everyone can play the game how they want since it's all pretty well balanced. You're free to do whatever you want and how you want it".
    There are quite a big number of things I still wonder on how they work, but since I haven't found people who are willing to teach someone new things I lose motivation.

Mainly it's losing motivation since there is no driving force or direction. Something other games do have.
    I think this is all fair. Makes me think of how people ask for open ended games without knowing what they are really asking for in the end.

Also the entire storyline connects but the way it works might be confusing. When you start you start as a regular character from x background. You play a bit of an origin until you get to a point where all the origins merge. There's still places where the story branch but it's mostly just from the PoV of an order you choose. That's all for for the 'personal story', vanilla GW2. Everything else after that is the same for everyone with very minor dialogue based on previous interactions. The story can appear disjointed depending on what 'living story' episodes you have access too. At this point of the game all the living story episodes combined are like a expac or two worth or content themselves woven in between the core game and the two xpacs. 1/3 of the first season of the 'living world' isn't accessible because Anet was serious about the 'living world' part. The game dynamically and permanently changed during this season and only its instanced content is accessible.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-02-07 at 10:45 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

One really bad thing is that everything feels super dead sometimes. WvW never seemed to have a queue, outdoor zones were empty as heck, my old server Discord had like three messages in the last month, even Twitch viewership is consistently under 500 total viewers. Lions Arch had people in it, but not nearly as many as I remember. And my server is marked as "Full".
    WvW was even more dead pre-Covid. Most people are waiting for alliances, which are in development limbo.
    Outdoor zones depends on where you were. Usually it doesn't matter for core maps as they are soloable, meta maps from expansions can be filled pretty easy by either joining a group in LFG or starting your own. Drizzlewood probably attracts most players now as one of the best farming maps and there is also Lunar New Year with Celestial Challenge.
    Lion's Arch lost some population to Eye of the North as the more compact hub, especially if you do all the unlocks in it.
    Your server population doesn't matter, it's only relevant for WvW.

Also PvP was rebalanced a year ago and it's much less bursty than it was. If you still go down that fast, that's probably your build.
    Looking for Raid.

15+ Year Old Account
    I played at release, but never could enjoy it because there weren't defined roles i.e. the trinity. Everyone seemed to be for themselves. I haven't touched it since.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

I used to find the PvP in GW2 to be just astonishingly fun. I can't even emphasize that enough, it was literally everything I wanted in a game.

Then one day, it just wasn't. The game changed little by little, I think, until the PvP felt very different to me. Or maybe other people just got better, so it wasn't as much fun for me when I wasn't as dominant anymore? Who knows. It's a shame, though. I feel like going back and trying it some more now.
    When i did play, which was early in vanilla (max level) i found the pvp to be different in one major way to other mmos i had played (with the exception of the amazing Warhammer online) : positioning and tactics. It just felt.....different - strategic rather than twitchy "pop everything and hope they die before i die", no healers or tanks, but still tanky / healy builds..........its just felt really good.

I didnt play long enough to see / feel it change, but it wouldnt surprise me if it had/has.

Anyone here play from Australasia? Is it like playing WoW with 300+ ping or what?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    I played at release, but never could enjoy it because there weren't defined roles i.e. the trinity. Everyone seemed to be for themselves. I haven't touched it since.
    So that is true, however my understanding is builds have almost pushed back into trinity realms, with tanky builds and support/healer focused builds. I guess i am a little surprised you even tried it given the lack of the trinity was one of its main selling points.

There's always talk about the game not having "vertical progression" and it's technically true...but gearing just set of stats for one build for one profession - and not even with the highest tier of gear - requires more farming time than getting a character reasonably set up for starting endgame activities in "vertical progression" games. And at least in those games, that set of gear will let you play other specs and styles with some effectiveness.
    Just to be sure: how long did it take in WoW before they added all three main stats on gear more than halfway through the game's life? How long does it take in FFXIV to switch from, say, Ninja to White Mage who have absolutely no overlap in gear without spending obscene amount of money on crafted gear and pentamelding?
    Looking for Raid.

That's a really weird point to try to make in this case. This sort of, "Other games didn't do it right away!" would only seem to make sense if GW2 were a new game or something. That type of defense quickly loses steam once a game is mature.

It's really not nearly as bad, honestly. I could buy a full set of new crafted gear in XIV for what would be pennies for me, relative to time spent getting gil. Not to mention simply going out and getting drops. Plus there's a far larger overlap between classes gear, and your gear isn't often "bound" to one class. (XIV seems like a really, really bad game to invoke to make this point, actually.)

You also don't have to say, "Aw crap, can't use Bio because my gear only has Ruin damage on it."

Although really, most of these comparisons feel weak because they're apples to oranges. So eh.
    Technically both comparisons could've ended by simply mentioning that exotic and ascended have less disparity than pre-raid gear and top raid gear (which is what their analogues are in other games) and you do it once, not after every gear reset, so of course it's longer. Exotic sets like Viper, Minstrel and Diviner would cost 60-100 gold, doing absolutely nothing but dailies and selling mystic coins from login rewards will net you 100g in a month.

I don't know how gearing in WoW works now, but I'll assume crafting is still shit, so you run mythic+0 and world quests to grab some baseline gear and work upwards from there, which can take who knows how much time as you are unable to target drops.

As for FFXIV, I don't exactly see how one is able to cheaply get gear. Crafted costs few million gil that requires you to run roulettes until your eyes bleed or spend dozens of hours and ton of money on leveling crafting to be able to earn some money. Pentamelding it requires even more money. It'd still be relatively weaker than exotics.

Your Bio/Ruin comparison is indeed apples to oranges, class in FFXIV is what spec is in other games.
    Looking for Raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I picked it up again after a couple of years away from it. I remembered very little about it at first so I started a brand new human ranger and have taken it slow. It's clicking with me now in ways it never did before. I've been on every day for 3+ weeks now and quite enjoying myself. I'm still not crazy about jumping puzzles but at least there's help out there if I need it.

Anyway, I was preventing myself from coming back for a long, long time. I'm glad that's past. Game suits my style which over the years has become more about working on collections, playing by myself mostly, and keeping an eye out for a very casual guild of mostly older people.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I just never really got into it, plus didn't really know anyone who played it which didn't help

I've played until the end of Heart of Thorns. My biggest problem with this game was the gearing system or rather lack of it. My best in slot gear in the core GW2 was still bis at the end of first expansion. I understand that the lack of gear treadmill was one of the main principles of this game but I needed some sense of progression outside of the story.

The way they nickel and dime you is the main reason why I hope WoW never drops the sub.

Its so incredibly stupid that to understand anything whats going on in HoT or PoF, you need to buy S2 and S3.

Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    The way they nickel and dime you is the main reason why I hope WoW never drops the sub.

Its so incredibly stupid that to understand anything whats going on in HoT or PoF, you need to buy S2 and S3.
    You prefer to pay $15 every month for the same content instead of $15 once?
    Looking for Raid.