Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Wear them, or you're fucking fired.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    isnt the problem body cams arent silver bullets especially as alot of the worst police violence gets recorded (look at the portland protests and well george floyd) and it still doesnt do much. Even filming cops killing someone only gets them slaps on the wrist.

this is gross tho, the cops in the US do just seem like heavily armed militias who dont want any accountability.
    Filming them is only part of it. The real issue is accountability. But, you cannot have true accountability without transparency, so this is the first of many steps.

The biggest problem has long been that law enforcement is investigated by themselves.

No ones getting fired. This a contract that's being negotiated on. The FOP knows what they're doing. And despite what the commissioner may or may not be saying, she likely supports most of the points in that contract.

Surgeons getting 8% didn't stab patient in the aorta bonuses

Aren't they already getting a 100% you're always accountable in public office salary?

Would be smarter to just ask for 5% pay increase. Everyone can get behind that. But it's their fucking job to be accountable at all times. That's why it's called PUBLIC office.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No ones getting fired. This a contract that's being negotiated on. The FOP knows what they're doing. And despite what the commissioner may or may not be saying, she likely supports most of the points in that contract.
    Most of the points in the contract aren't too egregious. I absolutely think that if they are expected to purchase their own uniforms, they should get an allowance to do so. I WANT them to have days off (it's a stressful job, they need breaks if we want them to do it well), so if they have to go into court two days off in a row they should be compensated for it. The housing thing I can't comment on because I don't know the market in that area personally well enough to have an informed opinion...

These kinds of points are things that I would expect to see in a contract negotiation. They might not get all of them, but they are not individually bad asks. Until you get to the 'accountability bonus'. That's the one that is downright insulting, because it outright announces that they don't think accountability is part of their job normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Until you get to the 'accountability bonus'. That's the one that is downright insulting, because it outright announces that they don't think accountability is part of their job normally.
    When the shit hit hit the fan last summer, an investigation determined that the lack of leadership was to blame. And no one from the mayor on down is leaving. So I reason that the blame game chatter was along the lines of; "If you want us to take the blame for your incompetence then it's going to cost you."

Make it a 20% paycut for not using the bodycams correctly during your shift. And a 100% permanent paycut if you shoot somebody without the camera being on.

Pretty telling they don't feel accountable without body cams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210209.html

What the fuckity fuck?

Most of the other items on the list are reasonable, I think. Assuming their uniforms aren't issued and maintained by the department.

But expecting to be paid extra for wearing a body cam is absolutely 100% bullshit.

I swear to God, cops in the US are just incorrigible.
    I don't agree with any of those requests.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Wear them, or you're fucking fired.

- - - Updated - - -

Filming them is only part of it. The real issue is accountability. But, you cannot have true accountability without transparency, so this is the first of many steps.

The biggest problem has long been that law enforcement is investigated by themselves.
    By definition literally only law enforcement investigates law enforcement. Plus there’s the fact that if there is no loop of accountability at some point up the chain you still end up with someone with no outside accountability. So this is really more of feature of reality rather than a criticism promoting change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210209.html

What the fuckity fuck?

Most of the other items on the list are reasonable, I think. Assuming their uniforms aren't issued and maintained by the department.

But expecting to be paid extra for wearing a body cam is absolutely 100% bullshit.

I swear to God, cops in the US are just incorrigible.
    That symbol as your profile picture means your opinion doesn’t mean shit communist scum

I'd actually be fine with that if all lawsuit payments/settlements come out of the Police Union funds and not taxpayers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
    I'd actually be fine with that if all lawsuit payments/settlements come out of the Police Union funds and not taxpayers.
    Financially punishing a specific group based on the wrong-doing of some individuals is collective punishment, which is a human rights violation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Financially punishing a specific group of people based on the wrong-doing of some individuals is collective punishment, which is a human rights violation.
    "It's a human rights violation to hold police departments financially accountable for their own mistakes rather than fobbing it off onto taxpayers" is an interesting take from the personal responsibility crowd, but okay.

What's next, are you going to argue that it's a human rights violation to sue a corporation? Rofl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    "It's a human rights violation to hold police departments financially accountable for their own mistakes rather than fobbing it off onto taxpayers" is an interesting take from the personal responsibility crowd, but okay.

What's next, are you going to argue that it's a human rights violation to sue a corporation? Rofl.
    As long as it's only punishing the police department in a way that doesn't take money away from the innocent/good cops then it's fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it's only punishing the police department in a way that doesn't take money away from the innocent/good cops then it's fine.
    They can always choose another career rather than continuing to work in a police department that's having to cut pay due to paying out misconduct settlements, if they're that concerned about their income.

That's the advice y'all always give to people complaining about low wages, right?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    They can always choose another career rather than continuing to work in a police department that's paying out misconduct settlements, if they're that concerned about their income.
    Or they can just stay cops since that idea isn't even happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or they can just stay cops since that idea isn't even happening.
    Then they can stay cops with lower pay if they choose to remain employed at a police department that can't afford a higher salary because it wastes its money on misconduct settlements, as said.

Funnily how you support socializing liability for the police but not for anyone else.

7+ Year Old Account
    Then they can stay cops with lower pay if they choose to remain employed at a police department that can't afford a higher salary because it wastes its money on misconduct settlements, as said.

Funnily how you support socializing liability for the police but not for anyone else.
    Nah I'm saying don't socialize liability and only punish the individuals who did something wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah I'm saying don't socialize liability and only punish the individuals who did something wrong.
    It's wrong to continue serving in a corrupt police department, though, so...