Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Were those rumors ever substantiated? That he complained about lack of facetime? He took off his helmet twice this season, and both for good narrative reasons.

I know at the time all the drama channels on YouTube wanted to suggest Pascal was gonna ruin Mando by demanding he be helmetless.....and then they delivered an even stronger s2, with even a few moments of Pascal's face on screen.
    I find it incredibly hard to believe that an actor who reads a script for a character who never takes their helmet off--and knows this going in as it's a huge part of the character--would suddenly complain about not getting "face time". Especially since he's been getting accolades since the first episode aired and has starred in other big-budget projects alongside this series. It doesn't add up.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I find it incredibly hard to believe that an actor who reads a script for a character who never takes their helmet off--and knows this going in as it's a huge part of the character--would suddenly complain about not getting "face time". Especially since he's been getting accolades since the first episode aired and has starred in other big-budget projects alongside this series. It doesn't add up.
    Agreed its like signing up to play Barney the dinosaur then you complain hes too purple.....and no one can see your face.

Doesnt make sense. Plus hes chilean. Dude is probably happy to get any work in picky hollywood.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Pascal cast as Joel in HBO/Warner Bros. series of The Last of Us and a statement TLOU series was going to be his priority does not look good for the future of Pascal with the Mandolorian.
    It really isn't that big of a deal. He has done six other roles during the first two seasons of the Mandalorian and a seventh, a Nicolas Cage movie, is in post-production. He also has a stunt double so he isn't required for some of the filming. The only time it would be a problem is if Disney didn't secure priority in the contract when there are scheduling conflicts.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

If Fencers's "solid" sources are Grace, I'm more than willing to write it off as YouTube bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    You'd have a point if children were logging onto their local plumbers twitter to see their heroes in action like their favorite character on their favorite TV show.

Athletes, movie stars, politician. Some jobs have higher standards of what is expected in public displays.
    No, I think my point still stands. Sure, they may be more "visible" and might want to be more tactful in what they say as a result, but that doesn't mean they should "shut their mouths" and "stay out of politics". It affects them too.

But I think we're straying into territory we were asked to avoid again, so I'll make that my last word on the matter here.

Im saying she has an agenda to report on this kind of stuff because "drama" sells.
    Again, like every other entrainment outlet.

When Vanity Fair put out a piece titled, "Zendaya speaks out on more adult roles!" and is about 1 minute of conversation in a 13-15 minute interview with Zendaya- guess what? That title is meant to get you to click on it.

"G-Eazy and Ashley Benson BREAK UP!" on ET... "Vanessa Hughes BACKLASH!" on the Hollywood Reporter... getting people to click again. That's what headlines do.

Entertainment reportage all has the agenda of selling tea. That's the whole point.

Much like saying its sexist to have a sex worker in your futuristic dystopian film where themes of human identity are at the core when you have androids who look and act like humans. It really puts a symbolic emphasis on being human with bodily functions and needs and putting a price on human flesh as people live solidarity lives in their cubicles and desperately try to run from that feeling of loneliness. But "brrrr woman role only for sex go brrrrr" is a better youtube title.
    I searched through her channel to find this supposed reportage. I found nonesuch.

She has two Blade Runner 2049 MOVIE REVIEWS (spoiler and non-spoiler) and both are titled as such. Movie Review. Some trailer reviews and reactions as well to Blade Runner 2049, also titled "Trailer Review" and "Trailer Reaction".

None of that is reportage. Just her opinion on a movie, I didn't watch them, but anyone can have any opinion they want on a movie. That has nothing to do with reportage or working within the industry as a critic and journalist- which again, she clearly does so interviewing and reviewing professionally (she gets paid to do so just as Roger Ebert, Peter Travers, or Dave White) and is verified by critic choice boards and websites.

Not liking her opinion on a review doesn't change that at all. Again, is Katie Walsh no longer an entertainment reporter for thinking Sam Levison is an asshole?

I'm sure you have a lot of cache in the industry and are just sitting on tons of interviews, articles, and videos you are a part of in the industry, MMO-Champion user, RobertoCarlos.

7+ Year Old Account
    Again, like every other entrainment outlet.

When Vanity Fair put out a piece titled, "Zendaya speaks out on more adult roles!" and is about 1 minute of conversation in a 13-15 minute interview with Zendaya- guess what? That title is meant to get you to click on it.

"G-Eazy and Ashley Benson BREAK UP!" on ET... "Vanessa Hughes BACKLASH!" on the Hollywood Reporter... getting people to click again. That's what headlines do.

Entertainment reportage all has the agenda of selling tea. That's the whole point.

I searched through her channel to find this supposed reportage. I found nonesuch.

She has two Blade Runner 2049 MOVIE REVIEWS (spoiler and non-spoiler) and both are titled as such. Movie Review. Some trailer reviews and reactions as well to Blade Runner 2049, also titled "Trailer Review" and "Trailer Reaction".

None of that is reportage. Just her opinion on a movie, I didn't watch them, but anyone can have any opinion they want on a movie. That has nothing to do with reportage or working within the industry as a critic and journalist- which again, she clearly does so interviewing and reviewing professionally (she gets paid to do so just as Roger Ebert, Peter Travers, or Dave White) and is verified by critic choice boards and websites.

Not liking her opinion on a review doesn't change that at all. Again, is Katie Walsh no longer an entertainment reporter for thinking Sam Levison is an asshole?

I'm sure you have a lot of cache in the industry and are just sitting on tons of interviews, articles, and videos you are a part of in the industry, MMO-Champion user, RobertoCarlos.
    I mean if you're comparing E news and hollywood reporters to youtubers as "solid" sources I really dont know what to tell you.

I wouldnt get my news from either mmo champion user Fencers and I suggest you look for better sources of information. Which admittedly is getting harder as real journalism dies a slow painful death.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It really isn't that big of a deal. He has done six other roles during the first two seasons of the Mandalorian and a seventh, a Nicolas Cage movie, is in post-production. He also has a stunt double so he isn't required for some of the filming. The only time it would be a problem is if Disney didn't secure priority in the contract when there are scheduling conflicts.
    We shall see. Looking around after this was announced there doesn't seem to be any strong indication yet what the shooting schedule will be for TLOU or where that will fall in line with Mandolorian going forward. That will determine when Pascal really will be spending his time; shooting a film is nothing compared to a series shooting.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean if you're comparing E news and hollywood reporters to youtubers as "solid" sources I really dont know what to tell you.

I wouldnt get my news from either mmo champion user Fencers and I suggest you look for better sources of information. Which admittedly is getting harder as real journalism dies a slow painful death.
    Okay, cool. Continue about your way then. Thanks for the chat.

7+ Year Old Account

Okay, cool. Continue about your way then. Thanks for the chat.
    People like you are the reason journalism is in the shitter in the first place. You talk about industry weight of youtubers and who gets access is what matters. People who ask hard/interesting questions are not invited back because we live in a world of yes men where people don't want to have intelligent conversations they just want to sell thier product and eat it up. So yeah continue getting your solid news from youtubers and believing it for all i care ill pick reality every time.

their employers and audiences are in the right to ignore or disassociate from them based on those views too.

Disney is a huge brand. Star Wars is a huge brand. If a performer associated with the brands is causing a ruckus to the dismay of the owners- the owners can and do fire them.

Think about a job you may have had, say, selling mattresses. If you made it difficult for Serta to sell mattresses by employing you or harmed their reputation in social perception then they would likely fire you too.
    Which is all the statement is meant to convey, I think. Higher visibility and dependence on "the brand" means you need to conform more and more tightly to that brands ideals to keep your job.

If actors/actresses/other high profile job holding folks want to continue doing these jobs they need to seriously be careful with what they say, how they say it, who they say it to, etc... which means it's likely easier to just stfu so there's no controversy.

You're absolutely correct in that they have just as much right to say what they want, but as with Gina, these are the consequences if you say the wrong thing.

OT: I'm a little sad to see the character go, because I think they could have done some cool stuff with it, but in the grand scheme the role she played as the hard as nails female ex-soldier type can easily be filled by dozens of others, so there's not really much value lost by her departure.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2021-02-11 at 08:13 PM.

People like you are the reason journalism is in the shitter in the first place. You talk about industry weight of youtubers and who gets access is what matters. People who ask hard/interesting questions are not invited back because we live in a world of yes men where people don't want to have intelligent conversations they just want to sell thier product and eat it up. So yeah continue getting your solid news from youtubers and believing it for all i care ill pick reality every time.
    Well, I am overjoyed to be contributing to the death of journalism in the entertainment industry at the expense of those asking the hard-hitting question like thermal dynamics of Turbo-Lasers and if Blue Milk is organic.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    You're absolutely correct in that they have just as much right to say what they want, but as with Gina, these are the consequences if you say the wrong thing.
    Totally. You can't tell Gina Carano she isn't entitled to her opinion or deny her basic right to have a point of view. It's on her what she wants to do with it and how to express it- of which there is a justified consequence if you plan on living in modern society.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, I am overjoyed to be contributing to the death of journalism in the entertainment industry at the expense of those asking the hard-hitting question like thermal dynamics of Turbo-Lasers and if Blue Milk is organic.
    Yeah of course you have to go to the nutty extreme to try counter my point.

Let me guess you think archaic shows like the Jimmy Kimmel show and Conan are really live and not just pre-rehearsed/recorded script readings rather than an interview.

Heres a challenge for ya, try find a interview of david benioff or DB Weiss for game of thrones post season 3 without stars of the show with them or in an enviroment where the questions are not easily controlled. So when asked a question about the writing for daenerys targaryen character watch as they awkwardly pass that over to the star emilia clarke, because she wrote the character and all not just because shes the famous face playing the role. But nah all that kinda stuff is fine, nothing to see here in hollywood!

Accountability doesnt matter if you're big enough!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    OT: I'm a little sad to see the character go, because I think they could have done some cool stuff with it, but in the grand scheme the role she played as the hard as nails female ex-soldier type can easily be filled by dozens of others, so there's not really much value lost by her departure.
    I was a big fan of Carano before she started speaking out like this; I liked an actress with actual fight experience in action roles, and she's a bunch beefier in a way I really like. I thought she'd made a better Wonder Woman than Gadot, in terms of fight scenes and appearance, though I'll freely admit I always knew she was a weaker actress outside the physicality stuff. You can probably find posts of mine saying that way back, if you go hunting. I say all that to underscore that, absent her comments, I'd have been stoked to see her continue on.

However, Cara Dune's story is basically over. She was an ex-Republic soldier, felt abandoned and directionless, lost. She found her path, becoming a Marshal. We ended with her helping out the guy who helped her find her way. Her story's tied off neatly, and anything further would need a new problem for her to overcome, or she'd just be a tagalong for nostalgia's sake.

It's not just that her role could be filled by anyone, it's that her character's story arc finished. If we never see Cara Dune again, that leaves no loose threads unresolved at this point.

You'd have a point if children were logging onto their local plumbers twitter to see their heroes in action like their favorite character on their favorite TV show.

Athletes, movie stars, politician. Some jobs have higher standards of what is expected in public displays.
    Only because you give that power to them. Americans infatuation with athletes and "celebrities" is crazy to me.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Only because you give that power to them. Americans infatuation with athletes and "celebrities" is crazy to me.
    It is but you can kind of understand when younger people are looking up to them as role models and want to be the new star quarter back or the new captain america rather than the new superstar accountant

They never said they were gonna be role models, but it comes with the territory if you're playing a famous role or playing for a big team. And they are compensated for it financially so its easy to not feel too bad for them

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's not just that her role could be filled by anyone, it's that her character's story arc finished. If we never see Cara Dune again, that leaves no loose threads unresolved at this point.
    Agreed, but given the part she had in Din's story thus far, there could have been plenty of opportunities for Cara Dune to step in and be useful and not forgotten, just like any other recurring supporting/side character. I think they could have done cool things with that.

Yeah of course you have to go to the nutty extreme to try counter my point.
    I dunno, dude. Stating "people like me" as a reason "journalism is in the shitter" seems far more extreme than a glib comment about blue milk. This conversation is over. It's now off-topic and is largely irrelevant to the current thread. Whatever satisfies your personal criteria, go for it.

I will continue living life just fine.

UTA, Carano's talent agency, has also dropped her. It is very likely her entertainment career in film and television is over.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/the-man...sy-1234691964/
    I'm sure she can still get work in Kevin Sorbo's next project :P
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good riddance on GC. I honestly wanted to watch the series but after certain individuals made comments I put it off. Now they are gone I’m more than ok with getting Disney+ and start watching this series.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    They are still people. Arguably, they do their job because they are effective at communicating thoughts and emotions; which comes from the experience of living and participating in the world.

Seems somewhat elitist to think someone with wealth can not say anything they believe in too. Especially to the "unwashed masses", which is a hugely loaded term. What makes you or me more, washed? Hmmmm?

Societies are shaped by those who participate in them- and that is still inclusive of those without and without means. Usually, societies create certain norms and traditions we value over others to one degree or another. These shift over time- but Carano and Pascal are still human beings who live in the world and entitled to their points of view; their employers and audiences are in the right to ignore or disassociate from them based on those views too.

Disney is a huge brand. Star Wars is a huge brand. If a performer associated with the brands is causing a ruckus to the dismay of the owners- the owners can and do fire them.

Think about a job you may have had, say, selling mattresses. If you made it difficult for Serta to sell mattresses by employing you or harmed their reputation in social perception then they would likely fire you too.
    You do realize that James Gunn was fired and then rehired by Disney despite posting pedophile-esque garbage on Twitter. Amber Heard abused Johnny Depp (and could face legal repercussions for it), yet still gets acting roles while Depp has lost both of the roles he was cast in for upcoming films. I probably wouldn't give a damn about Gina Carano getting fired for being a provocateur on social media if it wasn't for the fact that when it comes to being a shitty human being, those two people are a lot worse than she is and they have still retained employment. It's pretty plain to me that Disney's "standards" for employee conduct don't exist or they only exist for people with certain political leanings.

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2021-02-12 at 04:14 AM.