Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Not guilty!

Justice prevailed.
    Lol. Conservatives like you are delusional
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    lol if this story is true : 'the House dropped the witness demand because the Republicans in Senate threatened to block all nominees and legislation'

cant wait to see the dem faces when they do it anyway.
    It was more along the lines of the GOP threatening to lengthen the "witness" part of the process by calling up as many irrelevant people as they wished which would push voting on things like the COVID package back even further and the Dems don't want to delay that vote any longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Lol. Conservatives like you are delusional
    They aren't conservative. Nobody who is a Trump supporter is an actual conservative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    What do you get out of lying on an internet forum at a Saturday afternoon? I will never get it? It seems like such a waste of time, don't you have better things to do? I pity you :/
    Trolls love it when people respond to them. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    It was more along the lines of the GOP threatening to lengthen the "witness" part of the process by calling up as many irrelevant people as they wished which would push voting on things like the COVID package back even further and the Dems don't want to delay that vote any longer.
    thought they could control the number and that the covid stuff isnt due for like 10 days?

also just saw trumps statement it basically has the 14 words in it...inheritance for children etc fucking hell.

7+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit, McConnell just said that Trump is responsible for provoking the insurrection, but is playing a semantic game to say Trump isn't guilty of incitement.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Holy shit, McConnell just said that Trump is responsible for provoking the insurrection, but is playing a semantic game to say Trump isn't guilty of incitement.
    That alone tells you all about how fucking stupid their votes were...
    Betray the country on a "semantic technicality", which does not even exist really, isn't that pretty much a synonym?

10+ Year Old Account
    They aren't conservative. Nobody who is a Trump supporter is an actual conservative.
    I keep hearing this repeated a lot but... No.

This is always what American conservatism has fundamentally been about. It's just been a lot more polite until now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    lol if this story is true : 'the House dropped the witness demand because the Republicans in Senate threatened to block all nominees and legislation'

cant wait to see the dem faces when they do it anyway.
    They can't block the nominees. Standard legislations, yes. Covid relief bill through budget reconciliation, no.

I think Democrats just do not want to drag this on. They want to start passing bills. Having a growing economy and no more pandemic by 2022 would benefit them a lot more than dragging this on.

The event on January 6, 2021 already did its damage. Twelve thousand Republican voters in Pennsylvania left the party after January 6, while North Carolina and Arizona saw nearly 8,000 and over 9,000, respectively. Thirty three thousand in CA. Small numbers, but remember Biden only won AZ by 11k.

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Yeah, this is so utterly ridiculous and disgusting. "Trump is responsible...but technicality so not guilty."
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    They can't block the nominees. Standard legislations, yes. Covid relief bill through budget reconciliation, no.

I think Democrats just do not want to drag this on. They want to start passing bills. Having a growing economy and no more pandemic by 2022 would benefit them a lot more than dragging this on.

The event on January 6, 2021 already did its damage. Twelve thousand Republican voters in Pennsylvania left the party after January 6, while North Carolina and Arizona saw nearly 8,000 and over 9,000, respectively. Thirty three thousand in CA. Small numbers, but remember Biden only won AZ by 11k.
    I'd also like to point out that we do have multiple judicial investigations into Trump and his cronies besides this impeachment and that it is entirely possible the people building those cases are in communication with the House's impeachment managers. Especially if they share witnesses in common.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

First president to have survived two impeachments in the House.

Let’s see. The impeachment managers swayed 7 Republicans, 3 of whom are retiring.

It’s a shame we won’t get witnesses, not that I really suspected it would happen until the surprise vote on them this morning. The real important thing was to progress on Democratic agenda items, and naturally a lengthy trial with witnesses negotiated by both sides would postpone that (to impeach a president already having left the office).

I guess what remains is good luck on the tax stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    Let the record show which GOP members now fully support the murderous insurrection, by virtue of being possible casualties of it and still not holding the ringleader accountable. Even those saying "Technicality" are now supporting it, because from now on, any outgoing elected representative can try this -- and not be held accountable when they fail, because they were leaving office anyhow.

I hope the feeling gives those rabid fambase members who got caught warm the warmest feeling at night...well, maybe second warmest, after their cellmate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    It’s a shame we won’t get witnesses
    The strange thing is the jury was the witnesses. They were actually the victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I'd also like to point out that we do have multiple judicial investigations into Trump and his cronies besides this impeachment and that it is entirely possible the people building those cases are in communication with the House's impeachment managers. Especially if they share witnesses in common.
    lol he will be doing rallies again by summer. This is more Mueller will save us fantasy shit.

The turtle's argument is so fucking stupid.

If a majority in the house and 67 senators think that some private citizen should not hold an office, why should they not be able to convict? I mean they can just do it after said person is in office

the trump families grip on the party is now total.

I used to believe McConnell was smart, maybe he was once, but damn he's been doing some braindead stupid shit of late. Welcome to not having control of the senate and no control in your own party Moscow Bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I used to believe McConnell was smart, maybe he was once, but damn he's been doing some braindead stupid shit of late. Welcome to not having control of the senate and no control in your own party Moscow Bitch.
    He is the same as the entire GOP they are all afraid of the base although this will be their legacy they don't have the balls to make the tough decision. They are all voting to acquit him because it's the easiest thing to do today and hoping everyone forgets about this in the future. They have basically removed the power of impeachment from congress, there's zero chance any democrat will vote to convict someone from their party ever. This will be known as the McConnell precedent hopefully the GOP gets destroyed in 2022 because we are heading a very dark path.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    The turtle's argument is so fucking stupid.

If a majority in the house and 67 senators think that some private citizen should not hold an office, why should they not be able to convict? I mean they can just do it after said person is in office
    He doesn't need a reason he didn't hold an emergency session to convict Trump because he wanted an out but he was going to acquit no matter what none of them have the balls.

10+ Year Old Account
    so McConnel goes for almost 20 mins about how Trump should be criminally charged, but still voted no to impeach

so he felt Trump committed crimes, but should be able to have a chance be president again
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I keep hearing this repeated a lot but... No.

This is always what American conservatism has fundamentally been about. It's just been a lot more polite until now.
    I keep hearing this repeated a lot but...No.

There are plenty of people who say they are conservative to mask the fact that they are just bigoted assholes and have latched onto conservatives to legitimize themselves, shouting "Religion! Fiscal responsibility! Save the children!" but secretly just want brown people deported and gay people shoved back into closets. They aren't conservatives. They don't care that Trump was a philanderer (who almost certainly quietly paid for his mistresses to have abortions) or that he increased the national debt or that the only time he ever set foot in a church was for a photo op. They just cared that he was hurting the right people, as they perceived it.

Conversely, actual conservatives who for example do believe we need to curb our national debt, hate the idea of abortions (but make concessions that they're a necessity in many cases) and couldn't care less what others believe so long as they're allowed their own religious beliefs also exist and you've been on the same side of them the past four years in these very forums. I know of at least 3 who have been staunchly anti-Trump (and anti-GOP since the rise of Trumpism) here and I've watched you and just about every other sane person here agree with them and count them as comrades in arms for the most part. I won't call them by name here because obviously, as you demonstrate, "conservative" now "obviously" means they're the fucking worst. One of them's been permabanned for their vehement hatred of Trump's GOP.

Now, I disagree with their opinions on many things since I'm no conservative myself, but I would not go so far as to lump them in with the MAGA crowd or even "Republicans" as the party stands today.

So they have officially renamed the party to the traitor party? I'll never say the word republican again outside of the historical context.

10+ Year Old Account
    Conversely, actual conservatives who for example do believe we need to curb our national debt, hate the idea of abortions (but make concessions that they're a necessity in many cases) and couldn't care less what others believe so long as they're allowed their own religious beliefs also exist and you've been on the same side of them the past four years in these very forums.
    Sure. In the same way the US was allied to the USSR during World War II - they're allies of convenience, but remain ideological opponents that are cut of the same cloth as the common enemy.

"The national debt is too high", "I hate the idea of abortions even if they're necessary", and "I couldn't care less whatever crazy thing others believe as long as I'm left alone" are all, as I said, polite versions of the far right extreme we see manifested now. Wanting to conserve an unjust and bigoted system makes one a bigot by definition, and the refusal to reckon with that and instead treat the opposition as respectable gentleman is one of the reasons meaningful reform has been so difficult to achieve.