Poll: Do you believe that aliens from outer space walk among us?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    If an alien species advanced enough to visit us actually came here they would simply hoover up all matter in our solar system to use for a hyperspace expressway or something.

They'll have as much interest in us as we have in some bacteria living in a bit of spittle. Best we could hope for is some kind of prime directive so they leave us the fuck alone, every interaction would result in our extinction.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I believe they’re visiting Earth in their ships, but not walking amongst us.
    even if beings landed on main street and walked out, we wouldnt know if they were aliens or time travelers from a far future earth.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Do we spend our time hanging out with ants on a regular basis? people underestimate how far advanced a civilization has to be to master space travel. We humans have too high of a sense of importance, we are talking about a race that could wipe us out without breaking a sweat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    even if beings landed on main street and walked out, we wouldnt know if they were aliens or time travelers from a far future earth.
    ... or Bigfoot... it could also be Bigfoot, from the future...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Do we spend our time hanging out with ants on a regular basis? people underestimate how far advanced a civilization has to be to master space travel. We humans have too high of a sense of importance, we are talking about a race that could wipe us out without breaking a sweat.
    How many light years would you travel, to squish an ant? Or... How many light years would you travel, for an energy source?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    who knows. but realistically, I don't really think so given how big the universe is

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    who knows. but realistically, I don't really think so given how big the universe is
    Could you explain? Because, I have only heard that used, as a contrary to the assertion you are making. As in, it’s more likely something could be here, because infinity of space, creates infinite possibilities.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I think the general idea is that the travel distance would be too great.
    But, that creates two assumptions, that it would be too far and a distance that is imperially too far. While the infinite space, is 3 dimensional, meaning that each step, is actually a step in the 3D circumference. You are increasing the chance far greater than a single point traveled, which creates more space to have a civilization, thus inherently increasing chances of one that can travel vast distances. Making the farther something is, when applied to a 3D space, it increases the chance exponentially, as it relates to a single step.

Think of it like taking a step outside your house, vs taking a step at every instance of your house circumference, in a 3D space... meaning, both subterranean and a dome...

No, it requires far better technology to reach Earth first.
    Then it requires another great technology to hide from us.
    For what?

Sure, there are life somewhere else.
    However, their technology would be similar to us.
    They have no easy way to leave their solar system.
    After a few thousands of years, either they kill each other or their sun blows up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Could you explain? Because, I have only heard that used, as a contrary to the assertion you are making. As in, it’s more likely something could be here, because infinity of space, creates infinite possibilities.
    we have yet to detect any sign of life despite how unfathomably big our universe is, and despite seriously searching, "if there is life why aren't they showing up?"
    it would be surprising that a life form would travel to earth, since they would likely be very far away, and the technology required would be unthinkable for us

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    we have yet to detect any sign of life despite how unfathomably big our universe is, and despite seriously searching, "if there is life why aren't they showing up?"
    it would be surprising that a life form would travel to earth, since they would likely be very far away, and the technology required would be unthinkable for us
    But we aren't being realistic our serious searching would be considered laughable to any species able to transverse the vastness of space. We are basically looking for atoms using a magnifying glass, we have neither the knowledge or the tools to look for more advanced civilizations.

Walk among us? I dunno; I do firmly believe we have been visited though - the universe is just too freaking big for that not to happen. Plus with all the latest releases from here in the states and the military with the tic tac incident in 2004, the evidence is finally starting to really surface.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

I find this is the most common "explanation" of why the Earth is in the shape it is in. (Starvation, wars in multiple countries, camps etc)To pinpoint the blame somewhere. That there is alien beings that feed off the negative energy. Fear in particular they thrive off of. Now if people actually believe all this stuff is a different topic... No one mentioned it yet. So I am was just sayin'.

On the lighter note:

7+ Year Old Account
    I like to think there is a Zaphod Beeblebrox roaming around on our planet from time to time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kixxenn View Post
    I find this is the most common "explanation" of why the Earth is in the shape it is in. (Starvation, wars in multiple countries, camps etc)To pinpoint the blame somewhere. That there is alien beings that feed off the negative energy. Fear in particular they thrive off of. Now if people actually believe all this stuff is a different topic... No one mentioned it yet. So I am was just sayin'.
    Starvation, war, and suffering doesn't need an explanation though because that's the default state of life. What really requires explanation is society's success and prosperity compared to the squalor our ancestors used to live in for thousands of years.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-02-13 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    But, that creates two assumptions, that it would be too far and a distance that is imperially too far. While the infinite space, is 3 dimensional, meaning that each step, is actually a step in the 3D circumference. You are increasing the chance far greater than a single point traveled, which creates more space to have a civilization, thus inherently increasing chances of one that can travel vast distances. Making the farther something is, when applied to a 3D space, it increases the chance exponentially, as it relates to a single step.

Think of it like taking a step outside your house, vs taking a step at every instance of your house circumference, in a 3D space... meaning, both subterranean and a dome...
    The problem isn't distance as such. Rather the amount of energy it takes to make astronomical distances trivial. Mankind has nothing to offer to a civilization advanced enough to visit us. They might be interested in our sun as an energy source like you are interested in an AAA battery.

There would be no reason to walk among us unless they were tourists. And if they were then there would be atleast one dumbass who would reveal themselves to us.

A planet that has all the right qualities for specific carbon life forms to exist, isn't likely to be very common. But to cross even our own galaxy is likely to take an advanced power level that we don't know anything about. So coming here to simply cohabit doesn't seem probable...from my perspective they'd be slumming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokom View Post
    No, the universe is so big that it's unlikely any sign of our existence has reached another advanced civilization. If aliens do walk among us, it would likely mean they have something to do with us existing in the first place.
    That would sure make the universe a more interesting place, that's for sure. Random chance be damned!
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Nah. I believe the reason that we haven't seen aliens yet is that we're the first intelligent, technologically capable, species on our galaxy.
    I believe the opposite.
    That the haven't shown themselves is proof that they're intelligent.