Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would fame stop you from achieving your goal?

Kind of a no brainer for some people who wouldn't mind being famous.

This one last step from being really good, to being insanely good at something often means your become a public figure, and personally that scares me a lot.

You sing? If you want to really be successful, people will know you.

You do sports? Same.

Politics? Same.

Even just holding a high power position in larger companies means that articles could be written about you.

The thought of losing privacy and even worse, forever be hunted by paparazzi just kills me. I would never want that and no matter how good I would be at anything, I wouldn't go pro just because of that.

I'd rather be an anonymous normie than a super rich mega star who can't walk out of the door anymore without someone recognizing him.

If I was the same person I am now but happened to be famous, then hell no. What would I even be famous for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    If I was the same person I am now but happened to be famous, then hell no. What would I even be famous for anyway?
    Who knows? That's besides the point though. Imagine whatever your hobby is, is the next big thing and you happen to be one of the best.

Would you go pro, but trade in your privacy?

7+ Year Old Account
    The lack of anonymity in public spaces would be a real downer but for me that still wouldn't outweigh the advantage of being famous. Which is that you can (usually) leverage that fame to get you new opportunities, new sources of income, higher level contacts, etc.

depends on what you are insanely good at. not everything ends up with being a public figure, let alone a famous one. like... one could become an insanely good researcher and stay relatively unknown outside of the circles of other researchers in that field.

or... you could be a writer under a pseudonym and never show your face. or an artist of any sort. you could be a virtual singer - holograms are all the rage nowadays. or...Daft Punk are famous as fuck.. and yet no one knows what they actualy look like in RL.

there are ways to be famous without being famous. now... if your goals are to become an actor? you could preserve your anonymity is you stick to voice acting. its not impossible. or you could be a stage actor - though even Tony awards are televised nowadays, still not the same level of fame as screen acting.

I guess what i'm saying is... there are very few fields were fame is completely unavoidable. everywhere else - you have to actively chose fame.

I don't like being in the spot light, doubt I'd ever be famous... and if I see I'd probably become obscure quick going with whatever I was striving for prior.

I don't have any lifegoals that would ever put me in the spotlight. If anything, one of my lifegoals is to remain unknown by the general public, which I currently achieve quite easily by not existing on social media.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah.

If I ever get super rich or successful, gonna like buy a private island and be a hermit.

Somewhere where I can legally set up auto-turrets to mow down the paparazzi.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Kind of a no brainer for some people who wouldn't mind being famous.

This one last step from being really good, to being insanely good at something often means your become a public figure, and personally that scares me a lot.

You sing? If you want to really be successful, people will know you.

You do sports? Same.

Politics? Same.

Even just holding a high power position in larger companies means that articles could be written about you.

The thought of losing privacy and even worse, forever be hunted by paparazzi just kills me. I would never want that and no matter how good I would be at anything, I wouldn't go pro just because of that.

I'd rather be an anonymous normie than a super rich mega star who can't walk out of the door anymore without someone recognizing him.
    The thing is though that's really a false choice when you are super rich you can afford to move anywhere in the world tomorrow where no one knows who you are. Even the most famous celebrities of all times do this I doubt anyone would be able to rival their fame besides money can buy you a lot.

5+ Year Old Account
    I don’t think fame is anything good. It’s rather something opposite and puts a lot of pressure on people. Little fame might help but when there is too much of it, it can only distract from current goals. Imagine not being able to use public transport, which makes you actually spend more money on your safe wellbeing rather than on pursuing your career. Many celebrities actually say that it’s completely not worth it. You can be pretty much not very known and still do great. There are many music producers and publishers for an instance, who make a lot of money from album sales that get Grammy nominations. Most of people don’t even know they exist.
    Last edited by Progenitor Aquarius; 2021-02-20 at 08:49 PM.

Not really, unless my company would turn me into a parrot to promote shit instead of making it. Not that people in my field get really famous anyway, certainly not in my part of the industry.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    depends on what you are insanely good at. not everything ends up with being a public figure, let alone a famous one. like... one could become an insanely good researcher and stay relatively unknown outside of the circles of other researchers in that field.

or... you could be a writer under a pseudonym and never show your face. or an artist of any sort. you could be a virtual singer - holograms are all the rage nowadays. or...Daft Punk are famous as fuck.. and yet no one knows what they actualy look like in RL.

there are ways to be famous without being famous. now... if your goals are to become an actor? you could preserve your anonymity is you stick to voice acting. its not impossible. or you could be a stage actor - though even Tony awards are televised nowadays, still not the same level of fame as screen acting.

I guess what i'm saying is... there are very few fields were fame is completely unavoidable. everywhere else - you have to actively chose fame.
    Probably true, although the dub voice actor for Bruce willis in Germany is recognized everywhere he goes once he opens his mouth

Most likely. Fame's not my goal because it's not attainable. Being a billionaire isn't my goal because it's not attainable. They are both good things, and I would likely create a new goal upon reaching either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind being famous outside the mainstream.

For example there are a lot of musicians who are pretty much gods in their respective communities but still remain unknown to a general public.

Being rich was never my goal. I would rather perform music to connect with people and if it makes them happier at least for a moment, then I am satisfied.

Probably true, although the dub voice actor for Bruce willis in Germany is recognized everywhere he goes once he opens his mouth
    he.. can change the voice he uses though right? or he isn't a very good voice actor.

i mean you can CHOOSE to be recognized. Nolan North and a few others, for example, have a very active social media presence, do live acting as well as voice acting and generally lean into being known for various reasons. but so... many... other voice and dub actors... stay perfectly unnoticed when they wish to.

and acting is just one field anyways, there are so many things one can do and become amazingly good at and make a lot of money for and you would never EVER recognize them if you walked past them on the street unless you are for whatever reason highly invested in a field they are good at - yourself.

we have people who are famous for being famous and that is the only thing they are really good at - being famous and utilizing that fame. and... we have people who despite ostensibly being highly famous for something they are very good at... are also unrecognizable on a street and it suits them just fine. would you recognize song writers who penned some of the most famous or infamous songs? probably not. you might recognize the singers, but the writers? probably not. you know?

basically fame is not an unavoidable consequence of being very good at something. so... no, it would not stop me. my own executive disfunction and just being mediocre at everything - that is a whole other story :P

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    he.. can change the voice he uses though right? or he isn't a very good voice actor.

i mean you can CHOOSE to be recognized. Nolan North and a few others, for example, have a very active social media presence, do live acting as well as voice acting and generally lean into being known for various reasons. but so... many... other voice and dub actors... stay perfectly unnoticed when they wish to.

and acting is just one field anyways, there are so many things one can do and become amazingly good at and make a lot of money for and you would never EVER recognize them if you walked past them on the street unless you are for whatever reason highly invested in a field they are good at - yourself.

we have people who are famous for being famous and that is the only thing they are really good at - being famous and utilizing that fame. and... we have people who despite ostensibly being highly famous for something they are very good at... are also unrecognizable on a street and it suits them just fine. would you recognize song writers who penned some of the most famous or infamous songs? probably not. you might recognize the singers, but the writers? probably not. you know?

basically fame is not an unavoidable consequence of being very good at something. so... no, it would not stop me. my own executive disfunction and just being mediocre at everything - that is a whole other story :P
    Well it is his natural voice after all lol

But sure, for some specific paths the impact and extend of their publicity varies due to the popularity difference of different fields. So while the songwriter might not be winning entire malls over by just being there, his work and personality are still subject of interest for the community/sphere he is part of. As if there isn't a journal that talks about the most skilled Brain Surgeons out there and their techniques. Oh, wait, because there actually is https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...-in-the-world/

This does influence their life.

And that alone is so unappealing to me. To the point where I have already determined the level of career I want to have, so that I can also continue to live an undisturbed life.

Well it is his natural voice after all lol

But sure, for some specific paths the impact and extend of their publicity varies due to the popularity difference of different fields. So while the songwriter might not be winning entire malls over by just being there, his work and personality are still subject of interest for the community/sphere he is part of. As if there isn't a journal that talks about the most skilled Brain Surgeons out there and their techniques. Oh, wait, because there actually is https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...-in-the-world/

This does influence their life.

And that alone is so unappealing to me. To the point where I have already determined the level of career I want to have, so that I can also continue to live an undisturbed life.
    being known within your field is a VERY different animal from being famous though. you can still lead a very normal private life, while being known in your field by your peers. you COULD chose to be famous with general public as well, it happens. but you CHOSE it. its not inevitable. so /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    What if becoming famous was my goal?

Fame would be a downer in pretty much ANYTHING I do, including any goals, so I´ll say yes.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

you can keep your privacy if you are famous. it's only the super famous that have real long term problems with privacy.