I always forget how ancient Pete Carroll is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pete's career path is certainly an uncommon one, most guys coming from college do not have his NFL experience. Not too many college coaches make it work in the NFL, has anybody since Jimmy Johnson?
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Wasn’t harbaugh at Stanford before going to the niners? I didn’t mention him because he wasn’t one of those really well known guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Wasn’t harbaugh at Stanford before going to the niners? I didn’t mention him because he wasn’t one of those really well known guys
    Harbaugh did go from Stanford to Niners to Michigan, where he recently signed an extension because NFL teams were calling him to return.

Bill O'Brien went from NFL (Patriots OC) to college (Penn State HC) to NFL (Texans HC) to now back to college (Alabama OC).

But they are not on the level of Pete Carrol, who won titles both at College and NFL level, so not sure they really count as successful. Harbaugh at least made a Super Bowl though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember reading that a big challenge from college to the NFL is you don't cycle out players every 3-4 years. You have a constant stream of players incoming and outgoing. Meanwhile the NFL you get these guys straight out of college, learning or not learning how to manage the lump of NFL money they got, managing players upset about money and contracts, and guys establishing their families. Its a big difference in player attitude and I see why people were initially skeptical about the atmosphere Pete brings to a team. He also knew that and tore things down as soon as he got here instead of trying or being forced by ownership to make things work.

Meyer likely has that same control as well from ownership. I personally can't stand the guy, but at least if there is a shitshow it'll be entertaining to watch from a distance.
    Last edited by Vetali; 2021-02-12 at 02:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe he can help get Watson in the back seat while gunning it like rescuing someone from a cult
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    JJ Watt and the Texans have officially parted ways. Let the bidding begin.
    The Bills are one good DE (and Star Lotulelei opting back in after COVID) from having the tools to challenge for the Super Bowl. I hope we're in on this, if JJ is healthy.

Plus, he's the definition of Buffalo's idea of a "culture guy."

Bills currently have third highest odds for landing him, but the two ahead of them Pitt and GB, have cap issues, iirc.

I gotta imagine after having all the personal achievements, Watt wants to go to a contender to maybe win a Super Bowl. Maybe he thinks he can do that with his brothers in Pittsburgh, but if I was him, I'd look at an aging Ben and wonder if he could get me there.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    JJ Watt and the Texans have officially parted ways. Let the bidding begin.
    This is gonna be the first big offseason domino, forget Matt Satfford.

Basically every team that's linked to him is gonna have to perform some Cap Calculus to get room to sign Watt unless he takes a big discount.

Or he goes to the Buccs who have the space to pay him but he'd be like 1 of 6 pass rushers.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I think it is more likely Von Miller ends up on the Cownoys than Watt.

I thought the Bucs only had 20 players or something signed for next year? If they wanted Watt he would need to play for almost nothing or make his whole 2021 salary a signing bonus. Actually, I forgot the cap isn't real, teams can do whatever they want to get around it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I think it is more likely Von Miller ends up on the Cownoys than Watt.

I thought the Bucs only had 20 players or something signed for next year? If they wanted Watt he would need to play for almost nothing or make his whole 2021 salary a signing bonus. Actually, I forgot the cap isn't real, teams can do whatever they want to get around it.
    Watt isn't going to Dallas. Realistically Watt's going to Green Bay (contender, home state team), Pittsburgh (theoretically a contender, teams up with his brothers), or Tampa (literally just won a Super Bowl, have Tom Brady, have more money than the other contenders because they have so many expiring contracts).

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Has there been a college HC who has transitioned well into the NFL without significant time as an assistant or coordinator first?

Pete Carroll comes to mind, as well as Tom Coughlin, maybe? Kliff Kingsbury looking to be the most recent?
    Tom Coughlin
    Barry Switzer
    Jim Harbaugh will show up on lists.
    Paul Brown not sure if you'd throw him in was a few years ago.
    Jimmy Johnson
    Bill Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    have more money than the other contenders because they have so many expiring contracts).
    They have 30 mill in cap space with 26 players signed to something more than a futures contract, they actually don't have that much money before messing with contracts to make room. They have the least players signed (including futures) of any team.

The Colts have by far the most cap space of any playoff team, but they also need a QB that isn't Jacob Eason.

10+ Year Old Account
    30m under the cap is really good even with the least signed players considering we have several teams currently 30m over the projected cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Urban Meyer, new Jacksonville Jaguars HC, hired the racist shitbag that was fired from University of Iowa a while back as his new Director of Sport Performance.

Classy as always, that Urban Meyer.
    So he lasted about 36 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems a bad sign when the racist shitbag shows greater integrity in resigning than the coach did originally in hiring him. Who does Meyer hire next? Larry Nassar?
    /s

JJ Watt posted a "Happy Anniversary" post to his wife using the red and blue hearts emojis, and a video of his wife eating wings on their wedding day, and Bills twitter is melting down.

The offseason has truly begun.

Edit: Here's the tweet for those of you who want to analyze how crazy we are: https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/1361307898295549952

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    JJ Watt posted a "Happy Anniversary" post to his wife using the red and blue hearts emojis, and a video of his wife eating wings on their wedding day, and Bills twitter is melting down.

The offseason has truly begun.

Edit: Here's the tweet for those of you who want to analyze how crazy we are: https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/1361307898295549952
    If she was eating wings today, that'd be a big signal, but years ago? Dunno. Still seems a good landing spot but I don't see much hinting here.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    This is gonna be the first big offseason domino
    I can't see any non-QB as the first big offseason domino in any world in the current NFL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I can't see any non-QB as the first big offseason domino in any world in the current NFL.
    Well the QB market is gummed up with the Texans playing hardball with Watson. And the Rams managed to clear room for Stafford solely by jettisoning Goff as part of the deal.

So as far as "player that will make a team cut an overpriced veteran that will then go elsewhere making that team jettison an overpriced guy...." goes, this is domino #1.