Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

How would you change Torghast?

I would remove the priest power 'Phantasmal Wallets'. 15 phantasma if you cast mind control on a mob. For some reason it works on mawrats.

Casting Mind Control on a mob and then hitting escape is not good gameplay.

And I don't really care what rats are thinking.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Looks like they're reworking the priest ones in 9.0.5, giving you the talent to control your character while you have an MC as well as changing a few other things. Maybe they realised that spam MC'ing things for Phantasma wasn't fun gameplay...

Removing the Phantasmic Healing as well (Shadow Mend costs 5 Phantasma), and the CD reduction on infusion when you have Shackle up. Happy with the changes, those talents were absolute trash.

If I had to make any changes, I'd make Torghast worth doing, somehow:

I'd love to get my weekly soul ash from 1x Twisting Corridors instead of 2x 6 wings, because then I would have at least one reason to return to Twisting Corridors.
    I'd add some pets, toys and mounts in for people to unlock from the end bosses and also rare spawns.
    I'd make it worth exploring, and looting everything, possibly by tying in Phantasma to some sort of currency you could use outside of Torghast, or collecting Anima from runs somehow, or something like that. I think Torghast is the most fun thing they've added in WoW in a LONG time, but it feels pointless going back. They need to add the pets, mounts, collectables and currency gain from Islands and combine it with Torghast, and you'd have a great system that feels fun and, if you fancied jumping in again, it wouldn't be a waste of time.

Make all enemy attacks able to be dodged (telegraphed aoe/flying bullets), remove playerstats from gear, better anima to work with those two changes (obviously tuning changes)

Edit: As TheAld said, add some more incentives to run Torghast - I really like it, but there is absolutely no reason to get in there anymore (finished TC L8 since week 2, got BiS legendary and many leftover soul ash with main, got enough soul ash for R3 on my alt).
    Last edited by Bloodyleech; 2021-02-16 at 11:03 AM.

I did a run yesterday on my mage. Not amazing gear, not terrible either. I think it was layer 7. Got to the final boss, no deaths. Best I could manage was to get him down to 40% HP. Almost an hour it took in all before I had to throw in the towel. I'd have liked it if the content up till that point let me know that I had no chance on the boss. Maybe I was just unlucky with powers, it wasn't the best collection, but it was a bit soul crushing to get to that point, slow and steady, beating everything as I went, no indications that it wouldn't be possible for me to finish, only to find out only on the end boss that I was punching above my weight. Heck, on a previous run I remember getting stuck at a floor boss, think I was trying a 7 or 8, and it kept beating me. It let me know then, only 20 minutes in, that I couldn't complete the thing. That was much better than leaving it till the end boss. Heck, even with horrific visions, I when trying x masks, I would know long before I got to a boss if I was capable of it. Ended up being almost an hour utterly wasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

I'd rather Torghast was less of a long grind (hello Twisting Corridors) and more of a direct challenge. So making there less floors, more bosses and it would be good if the bosses were actually difficult. I don't think I've died yet as a Spriest to anything except either going AFK or falling off something.

What if the floors went:

Normal Floor
    Single boss floor
    Rest floor
    Normal Floor
    Single boss floor

Allow you to pause your Torghast run and resume it later. I.e. every 6 floors, you have the option to get out while saving the state of your run.

Rework certain useless anima powers. I can only speak for Death Knights here, but we have a few powers than enhance our diseases. Those are quite useless, as on last bosses our disease damage accounts for like 1% or so. I can imagine all classes have some useless ones aswell. Would be cool if they made them a bit more meaningful.

A power that doubles the flow of time. 100% more runspeed for you and enemies, faster CD recovery, faster attacks and casts. Remove stalkers, remove everything that attacks you out of combat.
    More Puzzles.
    Remove the combination chest, having to bruteforce a 4 digit binary combination is boring. Replace it with the minigames from nazjatar.
    Remove the "I win" powers or nerf them.
    Let the vendor have more anima power orbs, enable selling of powers/ rerolling a power.
    Move damage from autohits or casts of bosses to more mechanics, akin to the brawlers guild.
    Enable soul ash drops in TC, after every 3 floors you get soul ash. This works as an alternative to the normal 6 floor runs, so you don't get double soul ash.

I would make it much, much harder and with scaling ilvl (like it was in Challenge Modes during WoD) so you can't simply overgear it.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    I did a run yesterday on my mage. Not amazing gear, not terrible either. I think it was layer 7. Got to the final boss, no deaths. Best I could manage was to get him down to 40% HP. Almost an hour it took in all before I had to throw in the towel. I'd have liked it if the content up till that point let me know that I had no chance on the boss. Maybe I was just unlucky with powers, it wasn't the best collection, but it was a bit soul crushing to get to that point, slow and steady, beating everything as I went, no indications that it wouldn't be possible for me to finish, only to find out only on the end boss that I was punching above my weight. Heck, on a previous run I remember getting stuck at a floor boss, think I was trying a 7 or 8, and it kept beating me. It let me know then, only 20 minutes in, that I couldn't complete the thing. That was much better than leaving it till the end boss. Heck, even with horrific visions, I when trying x masks, I would know long before I got to a boss if I was capable of it. Ended up being almost an hour utterly wasted.
    The best way to negate this is to only select powers where possible that have a direct boost to your capability to defeat the final boss. Whenever you have a choice to make, ask yourself 'Will this power make me stronger against a single target?'

Snip
    You kinda "know" if you can beat it.
    If playing TC:
    If you take longer than 15 seconds to beat the floor 12 boss without any burst, you will most likely not be able to kill the floor 18 boss.
    If you take longer than 10 seconds to beat the floor 12 boss with burst, you will most likely not be able to kill the floor 18 boss.
    Those two cases are not valid IF you get a very good epic power after killing this boss - the chance of getting goodish powers in the following floors is imo not high enough to risk the time.

If playing regular:
    If it takes you an hour to get to the endboss on layer 7, it's pretty much guaranteed you will not beat it. (made a fun run stealthing through, getting almost no powers, ilvl 194, took 20 minutes with afking for a bit)
    If you struggle with the floor 2 boss and do not get any good powers from the trader, just reset it instantly.
    If you are 190+ geared, L8 should be no problem at all (which one can easily get) imo

Balance the fooking powers so that there aren't dumpster tier specs like BM

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    You kinda "know" if you can beat it.
    If playing TC:
    If you take longer than 15 seconds to beat the floor 12 boss without any burst, you will most likely not be able to kill the floor 18 boss.
    If you take longer than 10 seconds to beat the floor 12 boss with burst, you will most likely not be able to kill the floor 18 boss.
    Those two cases are not valid IF you get a very good epic power after killing this boss - the chance of getting goodish powers in the following floors is imo not high enough to risk the time.

If playing regular:
    If it takes you an hour to get to the endboss on layer 7, it's pretty much guaranteed you will not beat it. (made a fun run stealthing through, getting almost no powers, ilvl 194, took 20 minutes with afking for a bit)
    If you struggle with the floor 2 boss and do not get any good powers from the trader, just reset it instantly.
    If you are 190+ geared, L8 should be no problem at all (which one can easily get) imo
    My mage is 193. Didn't really struggle with anything on the floors on the way up. Wasn't blasting everything away, but wasn't struggling to survive either. Powers weren't amazing (the choices were a bit shitty, didn't get really good ones until floor 5, by which point most of them were a bit useless). End boss would kill me in about 4-5 hits.

If the mantra is as you say, if you don't blitz everything then you can't kill the final boss, this is a fundamentally flawed design imo.

My mage is 193. Didn't really struggle with anything on the floors on the way up. Wasn't blasting everything away, but wasn't struggling to survive either. Powers weren't amazing (the choices were a bit shitty, didn't get really good ones until floor 5, by which point most of them were a bit useless). End boss would kill me in about 4-5 hits.

If the mantra is as you say, if you don't blitz everything then you can't kill the final boss, this is a fundamentally flawed design imo.
    I absolutely agree with this, yeah. The endbosses simply have massivly more HP and DMG than everything before them - that's why I go with this system.
    Sounds like you really did not that great powers, at all. This can happen, but from my very own experience it happens quite rarely, but that's just my experience, which is not the general experience. Had ONE TC run that failed at the endboss, had maybe 2 regular runs that failed in probably a hundred runs (multiple characters ofc).
    Last edited by Bloodyleech; 2021-02-16 at 11:30 AM.

Remove all stupid powers like Eye of the Beast or provide an alternative, even 75 phantasma is better.

Make it worth your time... 6 stages already gives Ashes, convert remaining phantasma into anima or stygia for the first of corridor the week ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    I absolutely agree with this, yeah. The endbosses simply have massivly more HP and DMG than everything before them - that's why I go with this system.
    It is one I shall keep in mind for the future, especially if it saves me a whole lot of wasted time. Cheers.

I like it, the rewards are just shite and make it feel like a chor. Once you've got enough Ash for your leggo then there's no other reason to go there, which is a shame. They need to thrown some sweet mogs in there or some mounts other than the maw one

It is one I shall keep in mind for the future, especially if it saves me a whole lot of wasted time. Cheers.
    As long as rare, floor and endbosses do not work with telegraphed attacks/flying bullets it will sometimes just be a shitshow, as you simply can't do anything versus autoattacks/autocasts in the long term - skill doesn't matter as much as in roguelikes.

More incentives to play outside of the two weekly -mandatory- runs and one single run of twisting corridors. Something that doesn't feel mandatory (so no power progression involved), but that it makes investing time be worth it even if it's just a little bit. With that in mind, my guess is that anima would be the best candidate as a reward, with the apropiate quantity depending on layer and mode (regular or twisting corridors).
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

Quite simple change: Instead of having to do two runs per week it would be so much better if we could get the soul ash from a single twisting corridor run. Theoretically it would be 50% longer, but with the power stacking so much more fun than restarting the whole thing with 0 powers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would make some of the longer floors shorter, and have anima cells drop more often