10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Once 60+ has been vaccinated, all measures need to be dropped. C19 is inconsequential to the lower age groups.
    Splendid splendid, you're a veritable fountain of bad ideas.

Have you absorbed absolutely nothing about the organ damage and other long term effects of this virus, regardless of the initial severity of the disease that we have discussed in this thread?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Once 60+ has been vaccinated, all measures need to be dropped. C19 is inconsequential to the lower age groups.
    Grow the fuck up and stop viewing a crisis purely through the lens of the inconvenience it poses you, lol.

Among the authors is Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH, nominated by President-elect Joe Biden to be the next CDC director. Although they write that less than 3% of US COVID-19 deaths occur in adults 25 to 44 years old, "what we believed before about the relative harmlessness of Covid-19 among younger adults has simply not been borne out by emerging data."

From March through July this year, according to the JAMA study, young adult mortality increased in each of the 10 HHS regions, and separate surge periods in three regions—in the South, Southwest, and New York and New Jersey—increased the likelihood of mortality by 46%, 47%, and 130%, respectively. In three HHS regions, COVID-related deaths equaled or exceeded the number of opioid overdoses for its comparative month(s) in 2018.
    - - - Updated - - -

Well with all these mutations coming up and people blabbering on about how you can still infect others even when vaccinated, I am seriously wondering if this stupid mask-wearing fetishism will ever go away again.
    1) Taking a public health crisis seriously is not fetishistic. Continuing to insist that you're the only sane and rational one in the face of public health data by, say, making up unfounded concerns about asthmatics and masks is fetishistic, however.

2) Let's hope not, because it's actually kind of gross that Westerners seem to want to continue to normalize going out and about with contagious respiratory infections without wearing a mask. Contrast to cultures where mask wearing is normalized and actually have managed to get a handle on COVID.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-02-15 at 07:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

There is already an issue in my country with a low proportion of black people coming forward get vaccinated. Now a review of 19,044 staff at a health trust has found that only 36.8% of black staff and 43.2% of Pakistani/Bangladeshi have come forward for vaccination, compared to 70.9% of white staff (still a surprisingly low figure imo).

What could be the reasons for this? I'm not aware thus far of any cultural aversion to vaccinations among ethnic minorities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Splendid splendid, you're a veritable fountain of bad ideas.

Have you absorbed absolutely nothing about the organ damage and other long term effects of this virus, regardless of the initial severity of the disease that we have discussed in this thread?
    EVERY link in these discussions stated that this is NOT unique to C19, that it was unclear whether C19 has a higher chance or whether it is data bias due to us now putting everything a viral infection does under a giant microscope, compared to pre covid, where hardly anyone gave a flying intercourse.

So umm.. yeah. Not impressed or intimidated so far.

If you want mortality statistics, this is Germany after nearly 1 year of C19 with most youngsters going to school/work for the majority of that time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    2) Let's hope not, because it's actually kind of gross that Westerners seem to want to continue to normalize going out and about with contagious respiratory infections without wearing a mask. Contrast to cultures where mask wearing is normalized and actually have managed to get a handle on COVID.
    Wearing a mask when you are sick and coughing around is one thing and I agree that we should take to it as a matter of common courtesy.

Wearing a mask for the rest of my life whenever I am amongst people is most certainly another ballgame and I doubt anyone would wish for that. Well you obviously do but well, you're you so ... not unexpected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wearing a mask when you are sick and coughing around is one thing and I agree that we should take to it as a matter of common courtesy.

Wearing a mask for the rest of my life whenever I am amongst people is most certainly another ballgame and I doubt anyone would wish for that. Well you obviously do but well, you're you so ... not unexpected.
    I don't want to walk around with a mask on my face for my life. That being said I do expect mask wearing to be the norm within the next 10 years. I've had COVID and in my opinion it isn't anywhere near as bad as the common cold, let alone the flu. Then again I'm relatively young and healthy as I never smoked, drank, and I eat salads for lunch and dinner. I think that we need to take a serious look at the general health of people and consider that maybe COVID is deadly due to other underlying considerations. One thing I've noticed is that people who are clearly elderly are working in places like Walmart and probably shouldn't be. Probably a good chance that social security for these people doesn't pay for jack and we need to fix that. Black and Hispanic are known to be more susceptible to COVID and that maybe due to a lack of healthcare and maybe even nutrition. We have a rising homelessness issue that is being ignored and that's causing deaths from COVID. Whatever the problem is, we'll need a lot of money to fix this. Hopefully money from the 1%. Maybe then we can walk around with no masks mostly in 10 years.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2021-02-15 at 07:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope masks will be done here within a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    You are on the way for it to become distinct possibility.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56069460

The Pfizer vaccine prevented 94% of infections in a group of 600,000 Israeli patients.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    You are on the way for it to become distinct possibility.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56069460
    Also a HUGE part of it is the fact that not only does it prevent it, but for most people if they get it, it severely decreases the symptoms. I think people really underestimate that part of the Vaccine. Even the ones with prevention rates in the 70s and 80s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your word in Gods ear.

Fuck that bullshit. Masks need to stay, forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Masks are really good at protecting you....from cops who want to bullshit you about not having them.

While i can understand the idea of wearing them in stores, the whole "wear them outdoors" is a fucking joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Masks are really good at protecting you....from cops who want to bullshit you about not having them.

While i can understand the idea of wearing them in stores, the whole "wear them outdoors" is a fucking joke.
    Amen, at least someone else recognizes this absurdity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay..... Dutch curfew ended immediately. Judge says it's illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothal View Post
    Lower education and lower wages => more longterm frustration => more distrust
    Possibly, but it is odd that instead of separating people based on the job they do/education they would just look at races.

Looking at comments https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n460 that explanation doesn't really hold.

"Across all staff, take up was lowest among doctors (57%, 1721 of 3001), and highest among administrative and executive staff (73%, 2537 of 3465) and healthcare scientists (73%, 634 of 871)."

I would assume that doctors are well-educated with decent wages; it's just that the UK has lot of doctors from minorities (but fewer among the other staff-categories). And also that doctors are more likely to be exposed in the work than administrative staff. It also makes me quite concerned - if a doctor doesn't want to take a vaccine themselves, what kind of medical advice are the giving?

Then finding the actual study, https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.21251548v2 it seems the racial difference was after adjusting for occupation, which should be a reasonable proxy for education and wages.

However, it can be that it's due to peer influence - as people from affluent areas were more likely to get vaccinated.

- - - Updated - - -

Another vaccine on the way in the EU (likely in a month, vaccine seems reasonably effective and it will possibly just be one jab):
    https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world...al/ar-BB1dJoHj

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Okay..... Dutch curfew ended immediately. Judge says it's illegal.
    Yeah, and that was quite dumb ruling if I have ever seen one. The argumentation seems ridiculous to me. This will definitely bolster the crazies.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Fuck that bullshit. Masks need to stay, forever.
    Are you serious?

Yeah, and that was quite dumb ruling if I have ever seen one. The argumentation seems ridiculous to me. This will definitely bolster the crazies.

Are you serious?
    oh i need a laugh, do tell me all the good reasons they should go away.

there is already a ruling reinstating the curfew until the appeals court makes a decision in a few days/next week.

i wouldn't be too surprised if they still say it's illegal though, but let's be honest it will be illegal because of legal technicalities. technicalities lawmakers can easily fix by rushing a new law. (which they have already started work on just in case)

- - - Updated - - -

i wouldn't mind if we adopted the asian culture approach to them: wear them if you have a cold so you don't infect others without it being weird. but having everybody wear them all the time as a preventative measure is never going to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    there is already a ruling reinstating the curfew until the appeals court makes a decision in a few days/next week.

i wouldn't be too surprised if they still say it's illegal though, but let's be honest it will be illegal because of legal technicalities. technicalities lawmakers can easily fix by rushing a new law. (which they have already started work on just in case)

- - - Updated - - -

i wouldn't mind if we adopted the asian culture approach to them: wear them if you have a cold so you don't infect others without it being weird. but having everybody wear them all the time as a preventative measure is never going to fly.
    asian culture would be ideal, except that culture, they actually are cognizant of others. I'm not saying all the time, but yeah, masks being done, is dumb.

If you think that the entire human population should wear masks all the time as a norm, then I question your sanity.
    It creates shitload of waste, it costs a lot, it is not a cure, but a stopgap measure. Instead spend money on better prevention systems, faster vaccine research, anything else, really. Oh yeah, I can totally imagine people going sunbathing with masks in summer heat. xD

Obviously I am talking about the moment when world will be vaccinated, in case that was not clear.

If you think that the entire human population should wear masks all the time as a norm, then I question your sanity.
    It creates shitload of waste, it costs a lot, it is not a cure, but a stopgap measure. Instead spend money on better prevention systems, faster vaccine research, anything else, really. Oh yeah, I can totally imagine people going sunbathing with masks in summer heat. xD

Obviously I am talking about the moment when world will be vaccinated, in case that was not clear.
    Thanks for the laugh, knew it wouldn't dissappoint. None of this is even happening now, or this past year. You think the entire human population are wearing masks all the time. rofl.