Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    If you think that the entire human population should wear masks all the time as a norm, then I question your sanity.
    I don't think anyone is arguing for that? Instead it seems folks are supporting the approach in many Asian countries, where anyone with a cold simply wears a mask out in public out of consideration for folks around them.

Which like...I'm totally here for. I don't mind putting on a mask for a few days/week if I've got a bad cold or the flu or something but am still going out and about.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I don't think anyone is arguing for that? Instead it seems folks are supporting the approach in many Asian countries, where anyone with a cold simply wears a mask out in public out of consideration for folks around them.

Which like...I'm totally here for. I don't mind putting on a mask for a few days/week if I've got a bad cold or the flu or something but am still going out and about.
    do you seriously think everyone who gets a cold wears a mask?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    there is already a ruling reinstating the curfew until the appeals court makes a decision in a few days/next week.

i wouldn't be too surprised if they still say it's illegal though, but let's be honest it will be illegal because of legal technicalities. technicalities lawmakers can easily fix by rushing a new law. (which they have already started work on just in case)
    I heard it was ruled unconstitutional which is a little bit more than "oh lets rush out a new law to get around it".
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Moriati View Post
    Do I think they should? Yeah, while they're coughing/sneezing etc. I think that's like, a pretty minimal ask for a few days and is extremely considerate to those around you. Folks in Asian countries that do this have the fuckin right of it, yo.

I'll be doing so moving forward now that the "mask band-aide" has been ripped off. I already did my best to minimize any potential spread whenever I have a cough etc., this is just another measure I can take to keep whatever I have to myself. And once I'm over it, back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I heard it was ruled unconstitutional which is a little bit more than "oh lets rush out a new law to get around it".
    judges can't use constititional tests in the netherlands, that power lies with our version of the senate. people do like to shout it a lot in these times though.

basically they didn't include this kind of (extreme) measures in the special corona law, opting instead to use already existing emergency laws.
    The argument is that those laws are written for when immediate action is required, e.g. tornado, earthquake, etc, and that corona is not that sort of emergency since it's been around for a year. They also say that since they took several days to implement the logistics of the curfew and the fact that there are all kinds of exceptions means it's not similar enough to e.g. the tornado, where you can't wait or make exceptions.

so basically the entire argument is: you used the wrong law to justify the curfew. a problem relatively easily fixed.

(ironically, if it was a constitutional issue, the elections are right around the corner which is an opportune time to change the constitution.)

edit: o look the new law is already written up, guess they aren't even willing to chance it with the legal system. https://www.nu.nl/coronavirus/611686...ede-kamer.html
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-02-16 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Thanks for the laugh, knew it wouldn't dissappoint. None of this is even happening now, or this past year. You think the entire human population are wearing masks all the time. rofl.
    So what was even your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account

While I would recommend refraining from going out and about when you are really sick, I concur that wearing a mask when yo8u have to go out during sickness is a polite behavior we should adopt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So what was even your point?
    He was just trolling. Pretty obviously too. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Moriati View Post
    You allegedly live in South Korea, a place where face masks was pivotal in controlling not just covid but other major contagious respiratory illnesses before that, but ask such a stupid question.

Do your fellow S.Koreans think highly of you if you are sneezing and coughing in their faces without wearing a mask?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    While I would recommend refraining from going out and about when you are really sick, I concur that wearing a mask when yo8u have to go out during sickness is a polite behavior we should adopt.

- - - Updated - - -

He was just trolling. Pretty obviously too. *shrug*
    rofl, yeah, obviously, which is why edge came along, quite nicely laid my point for me in polite speak, not so good at that, and you completely validated it, way to go!

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    You allegedly live in South Korea, a place where face masks was pivotal in controlling not just covid but other major contagious respiratory illnesses before that, but ask such a stupid question.

Do your fellow S.Koreans think highly of you if you are sneezing and coughing in their faces without wearing a mask?
    i wear a mask. i have several coworkers who dont, saying they are not sick so why should they wear a mask and some of them when they were having symptoms of being sick blamed allergies during summer and still didnt wear a mask. not everyone wears a mask. not a rare occurrence to see people without a mask in public or people wearing it on their chin.
    Last edited by Alex Moriati; 2021-02-17 at 07:45 AM.

Do I think they should? Yeah, while they're coughing/sneezing etc. I think that's like, a pretty minimal ask for a few days and is extremely considerate to those around you.
    Except that many claim that covid-19 has a significant asymptomatic (and pre-symptomatic) spread so wearing a mask when you have symptoms will not be enough.
    (And then there are some that claim east Asians walk around while infected due to excessive work ethics - another idea is not walk around when symptomatic.)

Folks in Asian countries that do this have the fuckin right of it, yo.
    The flu was on an upward trend in countries like Japan before this pandemic, indicating that it isn't that simple.

E.g., Japanese health officials claimed that Japanese people don't talk to strangers on public transport making it safe.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Weird. My husband is there now and he has said that you can get fined for not wearing a mask in public.
    can get fined doesn't mean all people abide by it. #1 thing to understand about korea, there is a lot of lack of enforcement of rules/laws so some people just ignore it.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m sure not everyone abides by it, but according to him, the majority wear masks, and even scold those who don’t.
    i never said the majority isn't wearing masks. i'm not sure what you're taking issue with in my post.

Instead it seems folks are supporting the approach in many Asian countries, where anyone with a cold simply wears a mask out in public out of consideration for folks around them.
    edge said anyone with a cold wears a mask. they don't and i corrected his erroneous belief.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Except that many claim that covid-19 has a significant asymptomatic (and pre-symptomatic) spread
    Has that claim ever been proven in a peer reviewed manner?

Thanks for the link (with further references).

Note that for pre-symptomatic cases an alternative of handling it would be contact tracing app, so that everyone who had been in sufficient contact with an infected person is told one or two days later when the first person gets symptoms. It's just that I doubt that people in most countries will accept that intrusion of privacy (I also guess some people in S. Korea were a bit embarrassed after the karaoke bar outbreak).

The paper combine mildly symptomatic and asymptomatic, and the split between them isn't clear - but for this issue it doesn't as people will likely behave as if they are without symptoms - regardless of whether they are in fact mildly symptomatic or truly asymptomatic.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2021-02-17 at 11:16 AM.

About that paper

Last edited by caractacus; 2021-02-17 at 01:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...cines-to-gaza/

Turns out Isreal is a lot more direct in preventing the help with Corona that Gaza needs than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/radiol.2020202791

seems like it gives brain damage as well in addition to all the other things...
    Well, since COVID inhibits oxygen intake by quite a bit(if severe), I can see that.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...cines-to-gaza/
    Turns out Isreal is a lot more direct in preventing the help with Corona that Gaza needs than I thought.
    1. A lot of he said, she said.
    2. Anyone even a bit sane should not listen to what Hamas & Co says. Especially someone called Islamic Jihad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    people will likely behave as if they are without symptoms - regardless of whether they are in fact mildly symptomatic or truly asymptomatic.
    That's normal for many folks I guess.
    I mean I have a sore throat and runny nose half the time due to allergies, so there is pretty much 0 chance that I can recognize any illness before the symptoms really take off.