Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    This is absolutely vile. Twenty one people have frozen to death so far and millions are without power, heat, and water in below freezing temperatures.

And this shit doesn't wrap up in "1-2 days", sweaty; winter conditions do a *lot* of lasting damage to infrastructure that is designed to handle it. I can't imagine the plumbing costs in the weeks ahead with all the burst pipes and water mains.
    People always die in cold weather.

That is NORMAL, while it's not fun, it's part of life. Be glad the snow is just around a few days.

This is like complaining that old people die during summers, summers are supposed to be...what was the word...warm?..

What do you mean cold? Put on warm clothes. Don't have any? Put on several clothes for same effect.

The weather is nowhere near cold to be a freaking emergency.

In a few weeks this temp visit of snow, which im used for longer periods, is gone n u have all forgotten about it.

As for infra-structure, that is a country-wide problem of being generally stingy. As for "lasting damage" not so much, way over-blown.

You should move to chicago, cold winters, hot summers, pot holes in the roads so big they can swallow a dump truck..

I tried to explain that the snow is just around short while, it does have positive impacts like water supplies for a place like texas, but apparently everyone thinks judgement day is here..geez...have food supplies run out? No. Put on some warm clothes, build a snow man, which most texans usually don't get a chance to do..i mean the horror...at worst its a nuisance this short visit of 1-2 days snow.

What do you think happens if I'd be without electricity for a few days? I put on some warm clothes, light some tea candles for added warmth, read my books but no internet, oh the misery! practically dying!!!
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-02-17 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Trolling

Stood in the Fire ShadowofVashj's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    In the basement of Oribos playing cards with fellow Ebon Knights and Cartel members.
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Well technically 55.8% of voters voted for Abbot, and only 8,343,443 people voted out of 15,249,541 eligible voters in 2018. That's 4,655,641 voters, so 30% of Texans wanted Abbot if my math is correct.
    If true, I withdraw my comment and wholly support Texans who want a change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post

That is NORMAL, while it's not fun, it's part of life. Be glad the snow is just around a few days.

This is like complaining that old people die during summers, summers are supposed to be...what was the word...warm?..
    What a coincidence, I was also criticizing California's response to the fires in summer - i.e. when PG&E's shitty practices led to widespread and unnecessary outages that resulting in at-risk people dying of things like heat stroke. It's almost as if one should hold the institutions responsible for public safety and welfare to account when they fail to do so by being negligent.

I literally live in Seattle, dude - it's you who doesn't know what cold is. Rofl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

I literally live in Seattle, dude - it's you who doesn't know what cold is. Rofl.
    Seattle cold? That's cute.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you think happens if I'd be without electricity for a few days? I put on some warm clothes, light some tea candles for added warmth, read my books but no internet, oh the misery! practically dying!!!
    Uh huh, and what are you gonna do when the water you've stored in your bathtub because the mains are down freezes solid?

The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    It's not.

But it's cheaper to build houses that way because then you don't have to route the main through the wall and can just run 3 feet of conduit from the underground line up to the panel.

The panel, which btw, isn't in a totally waterproof NEMA enclosure but just a Type 1 where the front panel just tucks underneath the top without a full seal.

It's truly a masterclass of cutting corners to maximize profits and lower build times of houses, future consequences be damned
    In case you are curious. Here is what an R-38 insulated attic looks like from my daughter's project in Austin. Each house include geothermal heating and cooling, and solar.

Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-02-17 at 08:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I see civilization hasn't reached your corner of the world yet.

Where I live we have heated housing, and AC in the summer in an effort to minimize deaths. We also have these things called "convenient stores" where you can get food, so you don't have to store barres of supplies to last the winter, or have to go out in the nearby woods to catch it yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    In case you are curious. Here is what an R-38 insulated attic looks like from my daughter's project in Austin. Each house include geothermal heating and colling, and solar.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/nLueQbd.jpg[G]
    Oh, I lived in Canada I know what well insulated walls, and triple-layered argon filled weatherproof windows are like.

Frozen toilets? Ugh.

I see that the "let your water run" technique only work to a degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frozen toilets? Ugh.

Running water freezes more slowly, but "more slowly" is not "doesn't".

This is not "1-2 days of snow" despite what certain apartheid apologists might claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Seattle cold? That's cute.
    Hey now! It hit 25 on Friday night... snowed for like two days, almost none stop... so what that it’s in the 50s and sunny right now...

Edit: It’s 44... the sunshine tricked me into thinking it was in 50s... stupid birds singing, making it seem warmer!!!

Last edited by Felya; 2021-02-17 at 09:02 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Frozen toilets? Ugh.

Letting your water run also only really works until the water main break, which haha oops, some have.

Reminder to the less home savvy that water gets trapped in low areas of the house, and can still freeze and break lines even if the main water supply is cut.

10+ Year Old Account
    Letting your water run also only really works until the water main break, which haha oops, some have.

Reminder to the less home savvy that water gets trapped in low areas of the house, and can still freeze and break lines even if the main water supply is cut.
    I expect once things start to thaw the flooding insurance market in Texas is going to be put under a lot of strain.

Like it nearly triggers me thinking about how many of these pipes now have cracks.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I expect once things start to thaw the flooding insurance market in Texas is going to be put under a lot of strain.

Like it nearly triggers me thinking about how many of these pipes now have cracks.
    And the plumbers to repair it. I wonder if they will be a massive shortage and ship people in?

10+ Year Old Account

>Flood insurance
    >Post Harvey SE Texas

Some broken piping will not out pace 5 feet of water over then entire area lol

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Hey now! It hit 25 on Friday night... snowed for like two days, almost none stop... so what that it’s in the 50s and sunny right now...

Edit: It’s 44... the sunshine tricked me into thinking it was in 50s... stupid birds singing, making it seem warmer!!!
    I am jealous. It was -29F when I was driving into work last week.
    I am excited for the +20s this weekend!
    Last edited by ghotihook; 2021-02-17 at 09:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    >Flood insurance
    >Post Harvey SE Texas

Some broken piping will not out pace 5 feet of water over then entire area lol
    Oh yeah I forgot that climate change was a thing for a second there.

Apropos of nothing save my usual "capitalism sucks ass" shtick, the Houston skyline while millions of Texans were being asked to conserve power last night:

It's not.

But it's cheaper to build houses that way because then you don't have to route the main through the wall and can just run 3 feet of conduit from the underground line up to the panel.

The panel, which btw, isn't in a totally waterproof NEMA enclosure but just a Type 1 where the front panel just tucks underneath the top without a full seal.

It's truly a masterclass of cutting corners to maximize profits and lower build times of houses, future consequences be damned
    Holy shit, that's sad to hear. Maybe because I'm living in a northern country and as such construction standards are higher by necessity, but that sort of nonsense would get you strung up here even if there were no law. Ain't no way I'll trudge through three+ feet of accumulated snow to get to my electrical panel because the builders were lazy assholes.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Holy shit, that's sad to hear. Maybe because I'm living in a northern country and as such construction standards are higher by necessity, but that sort of nonsense would get you strung up here even if there were no law. Ain't no way I'll trudge through three+ feet of accumulated snow to get to my electrical panel because the builders were lazy assholes.
    Yea, that's what I thought too. Until we had a bridge collapse. But that's not really build quality that maintenance failures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I don't think you understand how lacking regulations are, and how easily the few that exist can be skirted.

Imagine building houses in a hurricane area and not even bothering to put hurricane clips on the roof trusses. The things that would cost a couple hundred bucks at most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post

Boo this man!

There's currently a trawler and a NOAA vessel in Smith Cove.
    Government Affiliated Snark